I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the same issue with dealing with Amex. Always a different story and then finally just be patient and wait. I used his card to refer to mine and while I did get my points fine they never did
give him the referral points; even when I gave them all the information. So frustrating.

I am sure your Marriott points are now fine. I am far from an expert but from everything I have gathered the points to a chain (Marriott, Delta, Hilton) are good once they go to that company. It is the MR points Amex owns and can seem to take back or hold hostage.

When Amex likes you it is super easy. But when they decide they don’t like you it is so so bad. I was at about 12 weeks before finally got DH’s points to post on the Delta Plat Biz, but then on all my cards (including that one and like 6 more) points posted as soon as had charges to meet spend. On some of the cards it was as soon as the qualifying charge went pending! Problem is you don’t know which Amex you are going to get. It is frustrating enough that in thinking about it I am just done trying to have DH get any more Amex cards.
I was supposed to get 10,000 points for pay over time...I don't see them so not sure I want to put a ton of spend on the card IN THE HOPES that they give me the promised 20,000 point retention offer.

I’m a longtime AU on my wife’s Freedom. She has some good 10% back offers on her Freedom (not to mention her CSR!) that could be used on GCs, but she may not get around to redeeming them before they expire soon. (And her idea of a weekend doesn’t involve me driving her from Staples, to OD/OM, to Lowe’s, to Walgreens to buy GCs.) I could use her primary card, but my experience has been there’s about a 1 in 4 chance I’ll be “carded” (to see that the credit card matches ID) when I buy GCs with a credit card. If I can trigger my wife’s primary card offers with my AU, that would save a lot of hassle (and some money).

Since the #, exp date and CCV are all the same, I'd be surprised if your AU card didn't work to trigger the offer (not that I've tried myself). And I have a hard time envisioning Chase chip technology being sophisticated enough to distinguish between primary and AU cards but don't know for sure. I do know that I've been able to use an AU card where I'm not even an AU on the account anymore, so that makes me question the rigor of Chase's systems.

@Alexle2007

Be sure and check the AAA rates if you do the OC Marriott this month. That is if you have AAA. Really inexpensive rooms at both Marriott and the new Hyatt.

If the weather warms up, I might go over for a few days, but not when it's too cold to enjoy the park and the boardwalk. Could deal with low 50ties, but 30ties is keeping me inside.

One of those creepy white van people got arrested in my area a day ago. A sting was set up, he took the bait, and got caught stealing packages off a porch. Idiot.
:rotfl2: I did just notice the Amazon picture of the package feature a couple days ago, wonder if it's to combat package theft by their own delivery people? Although there is the whole 1) drop the package 2) take the picture 3) steal the package potential... but maybe I'm a pessimist?

Since the #, exp date and CCV are all the same, I'd be surprised if your AU card didn't work to trigger the offer (not that I've tried myself). And I have a hard time envisioning Chase chip technology being sophisticated enough to distinguish between primary and AU cards but don't know for sure. I do know that I've been able to use an AU card where I'm not even an AU on the account anymore, so that makes me question the rigor of Chase's systems.
I'm going to agree it will likely work. I have a replacement card for DH's CSR that I carry around and it worked for the chase offer at aldi at the same time the one he carries around has been working for the Starbucks offer.

Got my new Amex (Hilton biz) in the mail today. Just in time for our vacation. Probably won’t need to use it much, but it’s good to know it won’t be sitting in the post office for a week.

Driving to Orlando from Ohio starting Friday. Hoping to use some Amex offers on gas on the way down (naturally the offers are attached to other cards, so can’t use the new card). Maybe some Kroger fuel points too. Staying at a HIE on points on the way. Got more than enough gift cards to cover food. Also bought park tickets with gift cards. We rented dvc points from another disboarder to share a 2 br in BLT with my parents. This is easily going to be a $7k vacation for which we’re only paying about $2.5 k out of pocket. Not using any cc points other than at that HIE, but I definitely took advantage of a lot of gift card/Swagbucks deals this year. Not as cheap a trip as some of y’all get it down to, but we’ll get there! :flower1:

Last edited:
aksurvivorfan's post is like greek to me...such are most things on that site.

I believe he's writing about the mailer codes for the grAAvy train. I don't fly AA and haven't jumped aboard the grAAvy train, but here's the basic idea.

Sign up, and sign your spouse, kids, pets, house plants, etc. up for AA's frequent flyer program. Within a few weeks, those signups should start getting mailers with a code to apply for Citi's AA cards. The mailers effectively have no limiting language and most mailer codes are transferrable. Subject to very basic timing restrictions, you can sign up for a Citi AA even if you already have a Citi AA card, and you can use your spouse's, kids', pets', plants' mailer codes to keep signing up for more Citi AA cards. Until a few months ago, these mailer codes were for the most part reusable, so churners would share, buy, and sell and resell these mailer codes on r/churning. They've since become single use only, which has tightened the market. This grAAvy train has allowed some churners to amass hundreds of thousands to million+ AA miles.

The catch is while these mailer codes are transferrable, you need to enter the intended recipient's (last) name before unlocking the application; and on personal card applications, the application is pre-filled with the intended recipient's full name, address, and other personally identifiable information ("PII"). You can edit the application and put in your own information; nonetheless, the process exposes a potential stranger's PII to the applicant. Not a big deal if you're using your own mailer codes you've signed up for using your and your spouse's, kids', pets', plants' information. You have their consent, or at least implied consent, and you're not invading anyone else's privacy. But some of these mailer codes come from discarded mail, and that crosses a red line for some but is a shady area for others. And what u/aksurvivorfan is saying is that a lot of the mailer codes on the code sharing thread are generated (likely, using a computer program that's cracked the AA mailer code algorithm), possibly using unsuspecting people's PII. He claims he only dabbles in biz card mailer codes, which don't expose PII, but basically the whole thing is shady A.F.

Last edited:

I'm going to agree it will likely work. I have a replacement card for DH's CSR that I carry around and it worked for the chase offer at aldi at the same time the one he carries around has been working for the Starbucks offer.

I'm going to try it. Be the DP!

Oh Starriott. Got my you maybe, could have, not sure, kinda sorta? had your info taken when Starwood got hacked email. Guess it's prudent to get a replacement CSR since that's the one I had on file with them. The password should be dead since SPG is dead I'm thinking. Don't really think I need to do anything else at this point?

I believe he's writing about the mailer codes for the grAAvy train. I don't fly AA and haven't jumped aboard the grAAvy train, but here's the basic idea.

Sign up, and sign your spouse, kids, pets, house plants, etc. up for AA's frequent flyer program. Within a few weeks, those signups should start getting mailers with a code to apply for Citi's AA cards. The mailers effectively have no limiting language and most mailer codes are transferrable. Subject to very basic timing restrictions, you can sign up for a Citi AA even if you already have a Citi AA card, and you can use your spouse's, kids', pets', plants' mailer codes to keep signing up for more Citi AA cards. Until a few months ago, these mailer codes were for the most part reusable, so churners would share, buy, and sell and resell these mailer codes on r/churning. They've since become single use only, which has tightened the market. This grAAvy train has allowed some churners to amass hundreds of thousands to million+ AA miles.

The catch is while these mailer codes are transferrable, you need to enter the intended recipient's (last) name before unlocking the application; and on personal card applications, the application is pre-filled with the intended recipient's full name, address, and other personally identifiable information ("PII"). You can edit the application and put in your own information; nonetheless, the process exposes a stranger's PII to the applicant. Not a big deal if you're using your own mailer codes you've signed up for using your and your spouse's, kids', pets', plants' information. You have their consent, or at least implied consent, and you're not invading anyone else's privacy. But some of these mailer codes come from discarded mail, and that crosses a red line for some but is a shady area for others. And what u/aksurvivorfan is saying is that a lot of the mailer codes on the code sharing thread are generated (likely, using a computer program that's cracked the AA mailer code algorithm), possibly using unsuspecting people's PII. He claims he only dabbles in biz card mailer codes, which don't expose PII, but basically the whole thing is shady A.F.
Can't say I'm sad to see the code sharing thread go. I got a couple gravy mailers off it sometime back but it just seemed to turn into a mess. And I was a bit weirded out by how willing people were to give internet strangers their address. Guess this explains some of that...

Although, someone on Reddit today said 12 digit mailers are transferable if you have the same last name? I really hope it's true as it could be excellent for me as my parents get these things by the bunch and have no interest in AA...

Thanks for sharing the grAAvy train info again. I may be ready to do this. Just wondering, when signing up my kid, pets, plants, etc., do they all need different email addresses? Several years ago when I signed up DH and I for Virgin Atlantic's program we used the same email address and it created a big mess with their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter