I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD19 forwards me an email payment confirmation with $800 charge to the card I have her carry for tuition for a class during her DCP.
Well thats great. I just opened a new amex specifically to cover the charges for the upcoming semester. There went $800 MSR. :sad2:
If that isn't annoying enough, tuition wasn't even due until 1/7, meaning I now have to work it into my December budget with all the birthday and Christmas spending instead of January's budget. :mad:
She says, "well why does it matter? we are going on a disney cruise this month. I'm sure you can pay the tuition."
"yes we are going on a cruise...THAT I PAID FOR WITH POINTS OF MY STRATEGICALLY USED CREDIT CARDS!":furious:

It's the total package- room, dining, tickets. I'd do a test payment to see for myself but I think I have to pay through my TA so don't want to bog her down with a bunch of different credit card numbers.
Should code 3x. The only time Ive heard of Disney coding 1x is when people purchase tickets only.

DD19 forwards me an email payment confirmation with $800 charge to the card I have her carry for tuition for a class during her DCP.
Well thats great. I just opened a new amex specifically to cover the charges for the upcoming semester. There went $800 MSR. :sad2:
If that isn't annoying enough, tuition wasn't even due until 1/7, meaning I now have to work it into my December budget with all the birthday and Christmas spending instead of January's budget. :mad:
She says, "well why does it matter? we are going on a disney cruise this month. I'm sure you can pay the tuition."
"yes we are going on a cruise...THAT I PAID FOR WITH POINTS OF MY STRATEGICALLY USED CREDIT CARDS!":furious:
Ho. Ly. Crap. My mother would have been livid. And had I responded like that my parents would have shattered my world, I guarantee it. I do not envy your place right now.

Are you still under 5/24? If so, why not run the table on the Ink cards under your business (assuming you have an EIN) and as a sole proprietor (SSN only)?

I think I'd be at 1/24 (just the Hyatt card in the last 24 months). I don't have an EIN, just my SSN (I'm a contractor). Thinking about maybe the CIC next for the 50,000 URs. Would it be better to pay for the Conrad with URs or use Hilton points? I have enough Hyatt points to pay for a stay (on points) there but I think dd would prefer the Conrad so I had to change plans.

Thanks...actually my DD is excellent at standardized test taking-to the point of being a National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist. The problem is, they narrow down Semis to Finalists with an application and her grades will take her out of the running. She is not so great at keeping her grades up so there goes several potential thousands of dollars out the window. When we were in school and had handwritten grades there would also be an area for notations. She's the kid who "has ability but lacks effort." Sigh...

I am obviously still way behind, so sorry to bring back old posts, but I do hope she still went through the application process. You never know. I remember reading about some people last year being pleasantly surprised, even with a few not so great grades.

OMG, same here. Plus I can’t understand my sister whose irrational DH controls all their finances...
Woah. I couldn’t. :( Well, being here obviously none of us could! I know story after story of widows who ended up not having a darn clue when their husband passed because he handled all the finances & just gave them spending & household money. The worst was (a family member no less!) who knew no passwords, not even the one to get into the computer.

Also...what the heck is up with r/churning anymore. Overall that place just zaps my positive mental energy anymore. All of the good contributors are starting to move into the underground and private groups.
That zapping of positive mental energy is the reason I ended up on the DIS! My issue wasn’t Reddit (then), I went cold turkey on Facebook and upped my DIS participation (not here at the time) and I’m literally happier for it. It’s been about 2 years now & no regrets. Life does enough to zap our positive energy, our online breaks have no business adding to that!

I am obviously still way behind, so sorry to bring back old posts, but I do hope she still went through the application process. You never know. I remember reading about some people last year being pleasantly surprised, even with a few not so great grades.

No worries- like everything she put it off until the last day which happened to be Oct 10th. While we were waiting with bated breath (Hurricane Michael) she got it in (fortunately we kept our electricity) and her guidance counselor was checking the application constantly from home (school was canceled).

So long story short, she did apply, made it under the wire and we’re not expecting a miracle but you can’t win if you don’t apply!

I really appreciate your and @mmmears support!

With only one having one, we took a totally different approach to college funding than the 529 since we didn’t know what scholarships, aid, etc DS will get (we still have 5 3/4 years to go). We plan to sell our home which will be paid off, move someplace warm, ie wherever DS goes to school and downsize. DH plans to retire in 3 years and I’ll request to telework 100% or retire in 6 years. Between the equity in our house and savings, DS should be able to select wherever he wants to go and graduate with his PhD loan free. We may start a 529 now since you can use the funds for private school which DS will be starting in the fall.

I know that sounds like a great plan --- to you. How do you think DS will feel about it? I would not have been a happy camper had my parents moved to college with me. lol Though maybe you just mean near him and not necessarily in same town. Though I did beg middle DD to go to same University as her sister, which is right in our town and she refused. She is now 7 hours away and when she came home for Thanksgiving she told us we should move closer to her. lol A big NO thanks to northern Indiana for me.

Need help with my next moves- within 1k of finishing the spend on my southwest cards for my cp, on hold till the end of the month now.

I’m planning a spring break trip to universal Orlando- cost 1700 for tickets and 2 nights at royal pacific for express pass access. Barf. I have my csr travel credit available next week I’ll use for one of the tickets. I can use UR for the rest, but I’m a hoarder and I’m down to 250,000 ur and parting with another 90k is painful

Options for my next card- arrival plus 70,000 offer. Would take a nice chunk or cash out of this trip.

I have a targeted offer for the bbp 20,000 mr- expires 12/31. I have no planned use for mr.

I want to get the cic, but I just got the 2 southwest chase cards next month, so I think I need a chase break until spring.

Currently I’m 1/24. Not eligible for sapphires, my last bonus was 10/16 and I had a cip which is now closed with the bonus in 7/17. Already have a cf, cfu, southwest plus and biz, and csr. Also discover it and amex spg biz.

FYI: numerous people reporting their 5,000 IHG points have posted. Mine and my wife’s both posted - this is from the post a picture to twitter promo they did.

Also in somewhat related news - my wife’s 29ways Marriott points posted today...mine still have not posted yet.
Additional comment to add - it appears that Marriott 29ways points do NOT appear to be a qualifying activity to extend your Marriott points. As a reminder, Marriott points expire after 24 months of no activity so keep that in mind.

For reference: AMEX MRs don't expire as long as you have an MR card open. Chase URs don't expire as long as you transfer them to an open card.

Most other programs have some expiration policy - examples of ones I think I know off the top of my head:
  • Marriott - 24 months w/out qualifying activity
  • Southwest - 24 months w/out qualifying activity
  • Hilton - 12 months w/out qualifying activity
  • IHG - 12 months w/out qualifying activity
  • American - 18 months w/out qualifying activity
  • Delta - NO EXPIRATION to my knowledge...hey that's one good thing about skypesos!
ADDITIONAL REMINDER: If you're starting to accrue large points balances - consider a spreadsheet to keep track of how many points you have and when they expire. This can also be good to check from time to time to make sure nobody has fraudulently used your points.

Good news. DH received his 100k Marriott points for his SPG biz thanks to DS tuition payment.

That brings up a question. Can I move those points to my Marriott account? I would like to pool all in one place if I can.

To the best of my understanding, you can transfer 50,000 points/ year. DH got a Marriott Premier (thought it was 75,000 points.) MSR was met quickly to start the transfer before the end of the year. Unfortunately, it seems he got 2 certificates for 35,000 point nights:headache:. We will use them when we fly home late Saturday night, but I would have preferred the points.

I got the CIP under my business name in September. Would that count towards my 5/24? Also since I got the Hyatt card in the summer and it now falls under the 5/24, would it count since I got it before the change?

Since I don't qualify for the MR bonus on the AmEx Pink Gold I am re-thinking my next Chase card. So far I just have the CSR (Oct. 2016), the Hyatt (July, 2018) and the CIP (under my business name) in September. I'd also like to apply for an AmEx card, but don't want another high AF like the Platinum card has (I cancelled my old AmEx Gold Card in 2015). I am pondering the Hilton card since dd wants to go to the Maldives in Spring, 2020 and the Conrad looks like our target hotel. Just not sure I could get enough points to pay for a 6 night stay by then.

I've also considered the AA card because we have a lot of AAdvantage points so I could add to those with the sign up bonus. But not sure if I really want it or not.

I think I'd be at 1/24 (just the Hyatt card in the last 24 months). I don't have an EIN, just my SSN (I'm a contractor). Thinking about maybe the CIC next for the 50,000 URs. Would it be better to pay for the Conrad with URs or use Hilton points? I have enough Hyatt points to pay for a stay (on points) there but I think dd would prefer the Conrad so I had to change plans.

Paging @calypso726 on this one.

I'd imagine redeeming HH points for the Conrad Maldives is better than paying the cash rate (even at a 1.25x or 1.5x multiplier using UR), but if you're only 1/24, it's such a shame to use all those sub-5/24 slots on Amex's Hilton cards. Amex has the Hilton Biz (which won't add to your */24 count), and the personal Hilton, Hilton Ascend, and Hilton Aspire cards, which will take up 3 slots under */24. As we've discussed before, signing up for Amex's 4 Hilton cards at their highest welcome bonuses (while referring yourself to each new Hilton card), and referring P2 (and P2 self-referring) to the same 4 cards for the referral bonuses and signup bonuses, can net a household ~ million HH points. But again, it's probably better done once over 5/24...

Last edited:
@SouthFayetteFan - what is considered a qualified activity for Marriott? Anything easy, like using a credit card for points or staying at one on points? I just realized we are going to have a lot of Marriott points soon and I'm used to MRs which don't expire.

I know that sounds like a great plan --- to you. How do you think DS will feel about it? I would not have been a happy camper had my parents moved to college with me. lol Though maybe you just mean near him and not necessarily in same town. Though I did beg middle DD to go to same University as her sister, which is right in our town and she refused. She is now 7 hours away and when she came home for Thanksgiving she told us we should move closer to her. lol A big NO thanks to northern Indiana for me.

I was actually wondering the same thing. We're very close to our DD, but going away to college has been a really tremendous growth experience for her and it wouldn't have been the same if we were just down the road.

@SouthFayetteFan - what is considered a qualified activity for Marriott? Anything easy, like using a credit card for points or staying at one on points? I just realized we are going to have a lot of Marriott points soon and I'm used to MRs which don't expire.
So yes - spending $1 on your Marriott/SPG CC will get it done :)

To the best of my understanding, you can transfer 50,000 points/ year. DH got a Marriott Premier (thought it was 75,000 points.) MSR was met quickly to start the transfer before the end of the year. Unfortunately, it seems he got 2 certificates for 35,000 point nights:headache:. We will use them when we fly home late Saturday night, but I would have preferred the points.

They upped it to 100,000 per year after the merger. From the redeem your points page:

Share your points
Now you can share your points with any other member.

Transfer 1,000 points or more—up to a maximum of 100,000 points per year.

Just contact Member Support at (801) 468-4000 to start sharing.​

There may be a fee if you're not a Gold or higher member doing the transferring but I haven't seen too many reports back on if it's being charged or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter