I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - I feel like a celebrity...that's crazy that they recognized my thread, lol.

It's an odd feeling, getting a shout out on the podcast. I wrote an article and sold it to the DIS, but had no idea they bought it until I heard Pete mention my name and article in his podcast. I was out walking and listening to the podcast and I was shocked. And happy. :) You're famous now! But so much for that thread going unnoticed.

I think the CIU is worth getting for the 50k UR bonus (assuming it stays that high) and relatively low $3k MSR. It's also a solid everything else card at 1.5x UR/$1. The billing will be the same as the CIP though, which is notorious for charges showing as pending, then disappearing, before posting days later. I know Chase has been upgrading the Chase for Business interface, but I don't know if that's improved how charges post on their Ink Business cards. DH will need to be under 5/24 in order to be approved for any Chase cards now, since it appears all Chase cards are now subject to the 5/24 rule.

A strategy might be for DH to get the CIU once he's back to 4/24, which won't add to */24, then get any other biz cards that might interest him (the CIC for another 50k UR and 5x UR at office supply stores?), spacing your applications 2-3 months apart, then saving the Hyatt for when he's ready to break free of Chase.

Personally, once I'm back under 5/24, I'm going to try to milk that one slot for 3 or 4 cards (as I mentioned above, the CIU, maybe the United Biz, the United Explorer and/or the Hyatt on a possible modified double dip). Biz cards don't add to the count, so maybe I'll throw in the Amex BBP somewhere in there. That should keep me busy for the first half of 2019. And since my wife is 2/24, with 2 cards dropping off by March, I'll get her into the mix too.

I might have been thinking CIC instead. I'm still not familiar with them all. But the thought was to maybe slip in one business card before the Hyatt. Except we would like to have the Hyatt card on hand when staying at a Hyatt in May, which puts some time pressure on us. Even though we fly out of SFO we both hate United so much that I can't see either of us getting their cards. ;) We've flown them a bunch over the years and never felt like they treated us remotely well. Not even close. I know it's different for my friends who have "status" with them, but I hate flying so I'm not likely to rack up lots of points that way. I'd get the Hyatt instead but he's the one with Hyatt points, so I'd rather it be his card. I'm hoping to get a CSP card (referral from DH) next year so that would take up a slot on my list.

How can we tell when we drop to 4/24 in Chase's eyes? We both have a store card that was opened 3/17 so I'm hoping it drops off the list sometime in March or early April. DH's department is undergoing massive restructuring right now so it all the questions might not matter if we have no income soon. Trying not to worry too much but I can't really help it. ETA - he says they will keep him but his job won't be interesting anymore.

Last edited:
A nice write up about the Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville resort opening soon in Orlando. When DH and I were at WDW in October, we peeped on this place. It's very close to Animal Kingdom. Didn't look close to opening to me but I guess it is! Rooms start at $199 - pretty cheap. Would be an easy redemption with an Arrival+ card. I'm considering this for our next Disney trip - half at AKL and the other half here.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/at...cent&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

I might have been thinking CIC instead. I'm still not familiar with them all. But the thought was to maybe slip in one business card before the Hyatt. Except we would like to have the Hyatt card on hand when staying at a Hyatt in May, which puts some time pressure on us. Even though we fly out of SFO we both hate United so much that I can't see either of us getting their cards. ;) We've flown them a bunch over the years and never felt like they treated us remotely well. Not even close. I know it's different for my friends who have "status" with them, but I hate flying so I'm not likely to rack up lots of points that way. I'd get the Hyatt instead but he's the one with Hyatt points, so I'd rather it be his card. I'm hoping to get a CSP card (referral from DH) next year so that would take up a slot on my list.

How can we tell when we drop to 4/24 in Chase's eyes? We both have a store card that was opened 3/17 so I'm hoping it drops off the list sometime in March or early April. DH's department is undergoing massive restructuring right now so it all the questions might not matter if we have no income soon. Trying not to worry too much but I can't really help it.

CIC:
50k UR signup bonus after $3k/3 months MSR.
5x UR at office supply stores (incl. stationary stores), internet, cable and phone services; 2x UR at gas stations and restaurants; 1x UR on everything else.
$0 AF.

CIU:
1.5x UR everywhere.
$0 AF.

To check your 5/24 status, I would use Credit Karma, check your Accounts, and count all reported accounts that have been opened in the past 2 years. (Credit Karma pulls from Equifax and TransUnion.) If Chase pulls only Experian on your application, Experian backdates the opening date of an account to the first of that month. So if you opened a card on 3/26/17, Chase will see from Experian that the card was opened on 3/1/17, and you'd be safe to apply anytime in March. However, Chase has been pulling credit reports for both Experian and Equifax for DW and me, and in the hypothetical, you'd have to wait until after 3/26/19 for that card to drop off.

***fingers crossed for DH***

CIC:
5x UR at office supply stores (incl. stationary stores), internet, cable and phone services; 2x UR at gas stations and restaurants; 1x UR on everything else.
$0 AF.

CIU:
1.5x UR everywhere.
$0 AF.

To check your 5/24 status, I would use Credit Karma, check your Accounts, and count all reported accounts that have been opened in the past 2 years. (Credit Karma pulls from Equifax and TransUnion.) If Chase pulls only Experian on your application, Experian backdates the opening date of an account to the first of that month. So if you opened a card on 3/26/17, Chase will see from Experian that the card was opened on 3/1/17, and you'd be safe to apply anytime in March. However, Chase has been pulling credit reports for both Experian and Equifax for DW and me, and in the hypothetical, you'd have to wait until after 3/26/19 for that card to drop off.

***fingers crossed for DH***

Thanks. And thanks.

I want to say my tuition out-of-state was about $17,000 in the mid-90s. That was part of the reason I went there over UPenn. I think UVA's tuition was about 60% of the University of Pennsylvania's. Now it's about 90%.

One of the girls I went to high school with chose UVA over Harvard because it just didn't make sense to pay for Harvard when I'm pretty sure she had almost all her expenses covered at UVA. I haven't looked into the tuition rates lately as my son is only 4, but I'm sad to see it's getting up there.

@SouthFayetteFan - I'm glad you were the one that posted the Office Space reference re: the churning updates on r/churning. Since I'm late catching up I figured I'd be giving someone else a fake internet point as it just had to be said :)
After I posted that I also realized that 5 other people made references too LOL! It was just to obvious.

Also...what the heck is up with r/churning anymore. Overall that place just zaps my positive mental energy anymore. All of the good contributors are starting to move into the underground and private groups.

Last edited:
:rotfl2:This is us. I've actually tried to include DH in where our money is. Told him he'd need to know if I was hit by a bus tomorrow, but he has no interest and only 1/2 listens. I'm such a control freak that I can't understand not knowing. :eek:
OMG, same here. Plus I can’t understand my sister whose irrational DH controls all their finances. (He has crazy rules like no credit cards :scared1:) When I went back to school full time and worked (20+ years ago) DH took over the bill paying. 2 months and 2 late notices later, I took them back and he hasn’t paid a bill since (nor looked at an account balance)

What are you buying from Disney? If it's a room charge it's 3x as it falls under travel, but if it's a ticket it will only code at 1x (unless the tickets are wrapped up into the room in which case they'd get 3x).

It's the total package- room, dining, tickets. I'd do a test payment to see for myself but I think I have to pay through my TA so don't want to bog her down with a bunch of different credit card numbers.

I think the CIU is worth getting for the 50k UR bonus (assuming it stays that high) and relatively low $3k MSR. It's also a solid everything else card at 1.5x UR/$1. The billing will be the same as the CIP though, which is notorious for charges showing as pending, then disappearing, before posting days later. I know Chase has been upgrading the Chase for Business interface, but I don't know if that's improved how charges post on their Ink Business cards. DH will need to be under 5/24 in order to be approved for any Chase cards now, since it appears all Chase cards are now subject to the 5/24 rule.

A strategy might be for DH to get the CIU once he's back to 4/24, which won't add to */24, then get any other biz cards that might interest him (the CIC for another 50k UR and 5x UR at office supply stores?), spacing your applications 2-3 months apart, then saving the Hyatt for when he's ready to break free of Chase.

Personally, once I'm back under 5/24, I'm going to try to milk that one slot for 3 or 4 cards (as I mentioned above, the CIU, maybe the United Biz, the United Explorer and/or the Hyatt on a possible modified double dip). Biz cards don't add to the count, so maybe I'll throw in the Amex BBP somewhere in there. That should keep me busy for the first half of 2019. And since my wife is 2/24, with 2 cards dropping off by March, I'll get her into the mix too.

I got the CIP under my business name in September. Would that count towards my 5/24? Also since I got the Hyatt card in the summer and it now falls under the 5/24, would it count since I got it before the change?

Since I don't qualify for the MR bonus on the AmEx Pink Gold I am re-thinking my next Chase card. So far I just have the CSR (Oct. 2016), the Hyatt (July, 2018) and the CIP (under my business name) in September. I'd also like to apply for an AmEx card, but don't want another high AF like the Platinum card has (I cancelled my old AmEx Gold Card in 2015). I am pondering the Hilton card since dd wants to go to the Maldives in Spring, 2020 and the Conrad looks like our target hotel. Just not sure I could get enough points to pay for a 6 night stay by then.

I've also considered the AA card because we have a lot of AAdvantage points so I could add to those with the sign up bonus. But not sure if I really want it or not.

After I posted that I also realized that 5 other people made references too LOL! It was just to obvious.

Also...what the heck is up with r/churning anymore. Overall that place just zaps my positive mental energy anymore. All of the good contributors are starting to move into the underground and private groups.

Just have to say how thankful I am for this thread and all the welcoming and helpful people here. I'd never be able to deal with r/churning and would rather not play this game than have to post and follow along over there.

I got the CIP under my business name in September. Would that count towards my 5/24? Also since I got the Hyatt card in the summer and it now falls under the 5/24, would it count since I got it before the change?

Since I don't qualify for the MR bonus on the AmEx Pink Gold I am re-thinking my next Chase card. So far I just have the CSR (Oct. 2016), the Hyatt (July, 2018) and the CIP (under my business name) in September. I'd also like to apply for an AmEx card, but don't want another high AF like the Platinum card has (I cancelled my old AmEx Gold Card in 2015). I am pondering the Hilton card since dd wants to go to the Maldives in Spring, 2020 and the Conrad looks like our target hotel. Just not sure I could get enough points to pay for a 6 night stay by then.

I've also considered the AA card because we have a lot of AAdvantage points so I could add to those with the sign up bonus. But not sure if I really want it or not.

CIP doesn't count for 5/24 since it is a business card. Hyatt always counted for your 5/24 count...unfortunately now it falls under the 5/24 rule.

I got the CIP under my business name in September. Would that count towards my 5/24?

No. The CIP doesn't count. Not because it's under your business name, but because it's a business card.

Also since I got the Hyatt card in the summer and it now falls under the 5/24, would it count since I got it before the change?

Yes. The Hyatt is a personal card. That'll add to your */24 count regardless. Prior to the rule change, you could have gotten the Hyatt even if you were at or over 5/24. Now, you have to be under 5/24 in order to be approved for the Hyatt and all of Chase's other cards.

Are you still under 5/24? If so, why not run the table on the Ink cards under your business (assuming you have an EIN) and as a sole proprietor (SSN only)?

FYI: numerous people reporting their 5,000 IHG points have posted. Mine and my wife’s both posted - this is from the post a picture to twitter promo they did.

Also in somewhat related news - my wife’s 29ways Marriott points posted today...mine still have not posted yet.

I believe he's writing about the mailer codes for the grAAvy train. I don't fly AA and haven't jumped aboard the grAAvy train, but here's the basic idea.

Sign up, and sign your spouse, kids, pets, house plants, etc. up for AA's frequent flyer program. Within a few weeks, those signups should start getting mailers with a code to apply for Citi's AA cards. The mailers effectively have no limiting language and most mailer codes are transferrable. Subject to very basic timing restrictions, you can sign up for a Citi AA even if you already have a Citi AA card, and you can use your spouse's, kids', pets', plants' mailer codes to keep signing up for more Citi AA cards. Until a few months ago, these mailer codes were for the most part reusable, so churners would share, buy, and sell and resell these mailer codes on r/churning. They've since become single use only, which has tightened the market. This grAAvy train has allowed some churners to amass hundreds of thousands to million+ AA miles.

The catch is while these mailer codes are transferrable, you need to enter the intended recipient's (last) name before unlocking the application; and on personal card applications, the application is pre-filled with the intended recipient's full name, address, and other personally identifiable information ("PII"). You can edit the application and put in your own information; nonetheless, the process exposes a potential stranger's PII to the applicant. Not a big deal if you're using your own mailer codes you've signed up for using your and your spouse's, kids', pets', plants' information. You have their consent, or at least implied consent, and you're not invading anyone else's privacy. But some of these mailer codes come from discarded mail, and that crosses a red line for some but is a shady area for others. And what u/aksurvivorfan is saying is that a lot of the mailer codes on the code sharing thread are generated (likely, using a computer program that's cracked the AA mailer code algorithm), possibly using unsuspecting people's PII. He claims he only dabbles in biz card mailer codes, which don't expose PII, but basically the whole thing is shady A.F.

I see. Thank you for the translation. I feel like that was the rundown at the end of a crime show. :ssst:

Well, as other users noted, some might view this as identity theft (vs. creating synthetic identities) or doxxing, which could lead to the entire subreddit being banned.

While this is news, it's hardly surprising considering the 120k CIP mailer codes were also hacked, generated, sold and resold.

Can't people just be happy with the basics or must they be greedy? Like with the dosh and RMN thing....just be happy it exists. Don't make 768 accounts so you can kill a good thing.

Yes, the FAFSA ain't got nothing on the dumb CSS profiles. That are similar yet different for each school that requires it. And costs money! GRRRR Lets pay money to prove that we can't afford college. I strongly detest College Board. Between, SAT, AP tests and CSS they have gotten thousands of dollars from us. I was really hoping it was a one and done, but nope, must fill out all 4 years. We filled out plenty for oldest DD to apply to schools but she ultimately picked a University that didn't require it. But middle DD's school does require it.
This year was our last CSS Profile (DD will be a senior next year) . I am so glad to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter