I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone successfully added a SW promotion to their account without being targeted for it? I have a 25% bonus for SW cc spend from 11/1/21-1/31/22, kicks in once $8K has been reached. I would like DH to get it in his account so that his SW $12K MSR gets the bonus, but it's not showing under his SW promos.

Is anyone else's bonus tracker on Chase not working? I've been using PayPal to buy a lot of Christmas presents and when I go into the website I have been getting 5% on these purchases but the tracker isn't showing any movement. It does show the category as activated. It's not a huge deal but I wanted to see where I was in terms of maxing it out without manually adding all my purchases up.
The 5% tracker has never worked for me in real time. It always updates after the statement closes.

Is anyone else's bonus tracker on Chase not working? I've been using PayPal to buy a lot of Christmas presents and when I go into the website I have been getting 5% on these purchases but the tracker isn't showing any movement. It does show the category as activated. It's not a huge deal but I wanted to see where I was in terms of maxing it out without manually adding all my purchases up.
It only moves when the statement closes, it's not very helpful. I always have to add the transaction on the UR portal.

Has anyone successfully added a SW promotion to their account without being targeted for it? I have a 25% bonus for SW cc spend from 11/1/21-1/31/22, kicks in once $8K has been reached. I would like DH to get it in his account so that his SW $12K MSR gets the bonus, but it's not showing under his SW promos.
I was curious about this as well as my mother was telling me about the e-mail she got. My guess is this is a promotion for previously existing cardholders. Really hoping for some promotions during the next quarter because the bonus categories are limited and pretty useless for me and I want to avoid too much more than $12000 at 1x points.

its quite possible your account was targeted but u were never notified of it.
best to go through the official link or use the generic mybonus link to search your cards.

The 5% tracker has never worked for me in real time. It always updates after the statement closes.

It only moves when the statement closes, it's not very helpful. I always have to add the transaction on the UR portal.

That's probably what it is, the statement hasn't closed yet. I bet when I have seen it in the past it was after the statement closed date. I know it's never been updated in real-time but I thought some of these purchases would have hit on the previous statement date but maybe not.

I mostly fly Southwest. I usually use RR points but at times use the UR Travel Site to book with URs instead of transferring URs to RRs. Having a CSR = 1.5x so it often is a bit cheaper and of course get the A-List credits and points for travelling, etc. The only downside I saw was that if I cancelled then I would have to use the funds as a travel credit with a year expiration as opposed to the RR points going back into my account, at least that's how I thought it worked. The last 48 hrs have been a headache talking to the chase travel portal folks - I booked a flight using the URs last week - since then I decided to fly the evening before, flight is $80 cheaper, apparently I can't rebook and have the $80 as a travel fund to use within the year? Chase will let me rebook but I'd forfeit the fare difference. I really don't remember it this way in the past. I actually have another trip that I booked in the same way a few months ago and it let's me have full control to change and cancel on SW website. The current trip in question says you must call travel agent (chase) to change. Southwest rep told me the same thing "looks like this was booked as global business" - you will have to contact them to change. I'm not sure if something has changed with Chase Travel or if this is a one off. Very frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent.

Love the cute picture of you two!

We have happy Aspire news, too. I just referred DH and he was instantly approved. Yay! Now we have two, and it will be nice to have the extra $250 airline credit for 2021 since I believe it's by calendar year. I will miss the $20 per month on food though. That one was super easy to use. I'm really surprised how much I like the Aspire--and the Diamond status that comes along with it. We easily use the resort credit on our Kulana membership at Grand Wailea, and the airline credits are great for Southwest.

Which brings me to the frustrating churning news of the week. I applied for the SW priority card the same day as DH applied for the Aspire and no immediate approval even though I used the same info as him and I haven't applied for any cards this year and no chase cards in 24 months easily. Hopefully I'll be approved or I will never hear the end of it from DH, who insists his approvals are because he has the y chromosome :) It's actually not always funny, as I do think there is something there. Anyway, hopefully they will approve without a call.

Thanks! Congrats on DH's Aspire!

I mostly fly Southwest. I usually use RR points but at times use the UR Travel Site to book with URs instead of transferring URs to RRs. Having a CSR = 1.5x so it often is a bit cheaper and of course get the A-List credits and points for travelling, etc. The only downside I saw was that if I cancelled then I would have to use the funds as a travel credit with a year expiration as opposed to the RR points going back into my account, at least that's how I thought it worked. The last 48 hrs have been a headache talking to the chase travel portal folks - I booked a flight using the URs last week - since then I decided to fly the evening before, flight is $80 cheaper, apparently I can't rebook and have the $80 as a travel fund to use within the year? Chase will let me rebook but I'd forfeit the fare difference. I really don't remember it this way in the past. I actually have another trip that I booked in the same way a few months ago and it let's me have full control to change and cancel on SW website. The current trip in question says you must call travel agent (chase) to change. Southwest rep told me the same thing "looks like this was booked as global business" - you will have to contact them to change. I'm not sure if something has changed with Chase Travel or if this is a one off. Very frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent.
I wonder if this is related to Chase moving from Expedia back to the previous OTA. OTA's are in general horrible and it takes quite a bit of difference before I even think about using one for flight or hotel. Worst case you should be able to cancel, then once that processes buy your new flight out of the TF. HUCA would be my recommendation right now.
I am curious though, with RR points almost always being 1.6cpp, why book through the portal rather than transferring and booking direct with SW?

Well this week has just been crazy. We had school on Wednesday. But then the copycat threats and the idea of a "hit week" where every day different schools in my county were supposed to be hit. Weds night they closed the HS's in my district stating they knew the threats were no credible, but they obviously had to still close given the situation. Many more schools close Thursday too. My own kids' district didn't.

I know when people are emotional, they get irrational. So many of my friends were freaking out. I think I'm jaded from teaching and knowing how often we have threats, and obv all have been fake (or stopped). I made a long post on FB that so many of my friend's shared. I get the fears, but if there honestly was a "hit week" the sheriff had the kid's phone, his computer, etc....they would know who these other kids and schools were.

I think 1/2 of Michigan has schools closed today. My district is closed through Tuesday for students. Monday they want us to come in and have breakfast and spend time together, they want us to be able to lean on each other. That's all well and good, but I'm not emotionally close w/ my colleagues. The FBI is now taking over because there are so many threats and they are going after all these kids w/ 20 year felonies. These kids are now admitting they just wanted the day off.

Again, I really don't think that parents/general public know what happens and school and what these kids are like. They will do ANYTHING to get school cancelled. Now more details are out, and everyone is after the school for not doing more. But again, parents come in and defend their kids and make the schools bend over! So I have no doubt, these parents were the type to fight the admin. The fact the mom "LOL'd" and told her son not to get caught when a teacher saw him searching for ammo on his phone....and the fact they are on the run now. I'm sure admin did all they could. It's just a mess!

One of my close friends is a HS teacher and she is counting the days until she is eligible for full retirement. She said that there isn't a single day that she doesn't think about taking early retirement (she has to teach until June, 2023).

My sister is an elementary school teacher. My dad was a school principal.

HUGE respect for teachers here. Thank you for all that you do for the next generation.
I'm class of 2024 as I joke. My DD is 2023, my DS is 2027. I never thought I'd retire at 47, but everyday adds to it!

I wonder if this is related to Chase moving from Expedia back to the previous OTA. OTA's are in general horrible and it takes quite a bit of difference before I even think about using one for flight or hotel. Worst case you should be able to cancel, then once that processes buy your new flight out of the TF. HUCA would be my recommendation right now.
I am curious though, with RR points almost always being 1.6cpp, why book through the portal rather than transferring and booking direct with SW?
Recently it seems that RR is worth about 1.4cpp not taking into account the extra points you get for cash fares. The fact the points go straight back into my account, even if buying for other people, is worth not getting optimum value for my URs.

Well this week has just been crazy. We had school on Wednesday. But then the copycat threats and the idea of a "hit week" where every day different schools in my county were supposed to be hit. Weds night they closed the HS's in my district stating they knew the threats were no credible, but they obviously had to still close given the situation. Many more schools close Thursday too. My own kids' district didn't.

I know when people are emotional, they get irrational. So many of my friends were freaking out. I think I'm jaded from teaching and knowing how often we have threats, and obv all have been fake (or stopped). I made a long post on FB that so many of my friend's shared. I get the fears, but if there honestly was a "hit week" the sheriff had the kid's phone, his computer, etc....they would know who these other kids and schools were.

I think 1/2 of Michigan has schools closed today. My district is closed through Tuesday for students. Monday they want us to come in and have breakfast and spend time together, they want us to be able to lean on each other. That's all well and good, but I'm not emotionally close w/ my colleagues. The FBI is now taking over because there are so many threats and they are going after all these kids w/ 20 year felonies. These kids are now admitting they just wanted the day off.

Again, I really don't think that parents/general public know what happens and school and what these kids are like. They will do ANYTHING to get school cancelled. Now more details are out, and everyone is after the school for not doing more. But again, parents come in and defend their kids and make the schools bend over! So I have no doubt, these parents were the type to fight the admin. The fact the mom "LOL'd" and told her son not to get caught when a teacher saw him searching for ammo on his phone....and the fact they are on the run now. I'm sure admin did all they could. It's just a mess!

I'm class of 2024 as I joke. My DD is 2023, my DS is 2027. I never thought I'd retire at 47, but everyday adds to it!
I just want to say I'm sorry for what you and all of your friends and family are going through. Coming from the land of the original Columbine HS massacre, (and the Aurora movie theater, Kroger grocery store, numerous Walmarts) I feel we're all collectively holding our breaths each time we venture anywhere. It sucks.

its quite possible your account was targeted but u were never notified of it.
best to go through the official link or use the generic mybonus link to search your cards.
Good thought. I checked and there's nothing there. I think @mhautz is probably right about it being targeted to existing cardholders.

So

So sorry your state and school systems are going through this!

Are you saying the parents are on the run? I had read that they had been charged with manslaughter? So sad for the families whose children were murdered.

My younger brother and his wife were teachers, all retired now and my son just married a teacher, plus my two daughters both work in education so it strikes home. What should be the safest place is not.

I thought about you last night, when they were talking about all the schools that were closed.

Unfortunately I think if I cancel I will have up to a year to make another booking, but only one booking, either use the full amount of the travel fund in one shot or lose the difference. So if my travel fund is $250 I can't book two flights at $125. Part of my 48hrs was getting my original flight rebooked this morning after cancelling thinking it would show up in my travel funds on SW. I thought I'd just try starting all over - now I am just going to wait until Monday as I see my flight back in there but says that it is unticketed?! No idea...
I haven't seen many 1.6 cpp lately, and not seeing much beating the 1.5 but with P2 and the CP, we typically have a bunch of RRs and I use them over the URs.

Unfortunately I think if I cancel I will have up to a year to make another booking, but only one booking, either use the full amount of the travel fund in one shot or lose the difference. So if my travel fund is $250 I can't book two flights at $125. Part of my 48hrs was getting my original flight rebooked this morning after cancelling thinking it would show up in my travel funds on SW. I thought I'd just try starting all over - now I am just going to wait until Monday as I see my flight back in there but says that it is unticketed?! No idea...
I haven't seen many 1.6 cpp lately, and not seeing much beating the 1.5 but with P2 and the CP, we typically have a bunch of RRs and I use them over the URs.

Southwest travel fund can be used multiple times until the value is used up. Or is Chase giving you some other kind of travel fund?

I found this article informative for how the point values are calculated. Lower fares where more of the fare is taxes, will have higher cpp.

https://frequentmiler.com/southwest-rapid-rewards-points-devalued-but-still-good-value-to-be-had/

I found this article informative for how the point values are calculated. Lower fares where more of the fare is taxes, will have higher cpp.
Yeah, the taxes can do funky things with the points value. I find often a nonstop flight costs about 1000 more points than a one stop flight with the same cash price due to the fact that the taxes are lower (no second segment or third airport) and the base fare is higher.

Can someone remind me of the current timing/process from Chase when you don't get an auto approval? I'd rather not call so just wondering how long to give them. I applied on Wednesday.

Southwest travel fund can be used multiple times until the value is used up. Or is Chase giving you some other kind of travel fund?
Yeah I think it‘s not a SW travel fund - at least that was my understanding- tbh they (Chase Travel) were pretty confused on the whole booking SW thing. I finally just told them to cancel it figuring funds would show up. This morning flight still showed under my account as booked - later it disappeared but no travel fund showing up. Called Chase Travel again today and when asked about booking the earlier (cheaper) flight they said they could but I would forfeit the difference in price. Told them to just book my original flight (which was still at the price I originally got it for. I will try it all over again next week. I am back at square one - on SW site I get the “you cannot change this reservation, purchases made through travel agency cannot be modified on SW dot com”. I hope to get better clarification next talk. Pretty certain I won’t be using Chase Travel to book my SW flights in the future - something has definitely changed over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter