I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P2's bonus anniversary points have posted for her SW Plus and Premier. I have not cancelled any cards since joining this game last year so this is new to me. Should I cancel them? And if I do will the AF's get reimbursed?

If your interested in keeping them, you could call for a retention offer...in October I was offered a $100 statement credit on my SW business and a $35 credit on the plus

If you cancel them, yes they will cancel or reimburse the annual fees so you will not owe them. You should try first calling for a retention offer. Just call the number on the back of your card and mention that you aren't sure you want to keep the card open due to the annual fee. They may give you a statement credit to offset that fee (and you keep the anniv points then too!) If you have success on one card, I'd try for the other but on a separate call (don't want to act too needy, lol!). If they won't budge, you can always try again in a day or 2, and if you don't succeed you can always just cancel them.
Awesome. I will try that. To keep the RR account open you just need activity within 24 months right? Our plan would be to have her apply for new cards in 2020 again to try for the CP. BTW I just checked a few minutes ago and saw Nemo was up to 70 minutes. I bet an FP would still pop up with a couple minutes of refreshing though.

Awesome. I will try that. To keep the RR account open you just need activity within 24 months right? Our plan would be to have her apply for new cards in 2020 again to try for the CP. BTW I just checked a few minutes ago and saw Nemo was up to 70 minutes. I bet an FP would still pop up with a couple minutes of refreshing though.

Yes you just need activity every 24 months to keep your points....I shop through the SW RR shopping portal...it counts as an activity

Looking for DPs concerning posting of the bonus on AMEX Hilton Honors. Met the minimum spend (including making sure I went over the MSR minus the glitch on January 31st spend!) and my closing date was yesterday. Any DPs on when I can expect the 100,000 bonus points to post?
I can’t remember exactly how long mine took but I know it was pretty quick.

Capital One 360 Money Market question. Received something in the mail to open one. It says for minimum $10k deposited will receive a $200 bonus. It also says no fees. Though no mention of how long I would have to keep the account open. Anyone ever open one of these or just have any additional info on it.

Capital One 360 Money Market question. Received something in the mail to open one. It says for minimum $10k deposited will receive a $200 bonus. It also says no fees. Though no mention of how long I would have to keep the account open. Anyone ever open one of these or just have any additional info on it.
Doctor of Credit has a post about it. I did a sweet bonus with them in 2017 for $400. I wish I could do this one, but I already have a "savings product" with them.

A little of topic, but savings and travel related.

Wanting to do a FL trip that's not just Disney. We've been wanting to go to St. Augustine, Space Center, Legoland, etc... but never can justify when we have APs to Disney. APs run up in May and want to do this trip while we don't have them.
Wanting to pay as little oop as possible, as we're buying into DVC now and still dealing with replacing 2 of our ac units for the house :crazy2:

- So I'll have (4) 35k Bonvoy Certs, (1) 25k (plus about 200k bonvoy points each)
- We have plenty of UR points as well.
- October trip most likely
- Driving from SC looking to visit: Savannah, GA or maybe Hilton Head - St. Augustine (historical area and beach day?) - Space Center - Legoland - Disney for MNSSHP. We would be doing 1 or 2 nights in each place.

Besides Hilton Head (and Disney lol), we've never been to any of these places. Any suggestions for hotels in the area(s)/that would be a good value on points. Even HH, we've only ever done a condo. Never a hotel.

Oh...you can't do a points upgrade with a free night cert, right? (For example...on the 25k night...book a 50k room and pay the difference in points or cash?).

Just starting to think all of this through, so open to any other suggestions for stops as well. Kids will be 11 & 7.

I don't have any suggestions for hotels but sadly you can't do the points upgrade for Marriott. They kicked around the idea during the merger talks and suggested that they may do it in the future but it's never been heard from again.

Probably a stupid question, but with all this talk of children being added as AUs do you need to provide their SSN for it to start helping build their credit? I added my DD13 to my CSP to get the 5000 points but didn't put her SSN number in. I did just check to add her to my Disney Visa since it's my oldest card and it doesn't even ask for SSN. Do they just track it by name and date of birth then?

:offtopic:

Since Ebags is at 20 miles/$1 on MileagePlus Shopping, I decided to peruse (my favorite travel brand) Tumi’s offerings and noticed they rolled out a new Alpha 3 line of suitcases. Some immediately apparent changes are new impact resistant side panels and a built-in USB charger. I also notice the prices across the Tumi items went back up (they’re frequently enough marked down at least 20%), and are (as usual) excluded from Ebates’ sitewide sale.

I’m actually in the market for another carry-on for DD now that’s she’s getting bigger and can (and wants to) carry (or at least roll) her own stuff. I love Tumi’s craftsmanship and this particular line of luggage. But at $750 retail for an international carry-on, it’s hard to justify. With Tumi’s sales, Ebags rewards, Amex Offers, and shopping portal rebates, I’ve been able to bring my out-of-pocket cost on a Tumi carry-on down to the $300-range. But the inclusion of a built-in USB port in their new line seems to me a bit of a late attempt at keeping up with smart luggage brands like Away (which it seems every millennial in SF is using). Even with all my discount stacking prowess, the Tumi is still much more expensive than the Away carry-on (which I can discount further with one of their mailer coupons). And the Aways come in PINK and kids sizes for DD!

Probably a stupid question, but with all this talk of children being added as AUs do you need to provide their SSN for it to start helping build their credit? I added my DD13 to my CSP to get the 5000 points but didn't put her SSN number in. I did just check to add her to my Disney Visa since it's my oldest card and it doesn't even ask for SSN. Do they just track it by name and date of birth then?
Chase does not ask for their SSN and their is no age requirement. Amex requires a SSN and the child be 13yo and up.

I need help figuring out when to apply for the next few cards and what my next moves should be.

Wishlist:
CIP#2 for me
CIP#1 for DH
Hilton Aspire probably for DH
CIC

Stats:
ME
01/17 CSR (keeping as I accumulate all points here)
06/17 CSP -> Freedom
10/17 CIP (EIN)
01/18 SPG Biz
07/18 Amex Gold
07/18 IHG
12/18 SW Biz
01/19 SW Plus

DH:
06/17 Freedom AU
06/18 CSR (not renewing, pc to Freedom #2 or maybe FU)
11/18 SW Plus
01/19 SW Biz

Leaning toward the Aspire for him since I'm not renewing his CSR, that will give both of us Priority Pass. With travel plans for 6 to Hawaii, hoping we can make use of the passes. The hotel credit would help cover the resort fee in Hawaii and then I'd have a free night to use somewhere. I'm still debating this card, I do like to pick up hotel cards when I have a stay planned and accumulating free nights is pushing us to take that weekend away that we desperately need.

I'd like to space apps at least a month for meeting spend just in case.

Of note: mortgage is fairly new (June 18), he went a long time with no new CCs, only auto loans and a mortgage prior to that. We do have older cards (20+ years). Not sure if these matter, but with Chase shutdowns... covering all bases.

From the Raise discussions between @wendow and @SouthFayetteFan , Raise 7% off ($10 max) promo code for today - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/raise-7-off-sitewide-with-promo-code-potus-10-max-savings/

Could be useful if needing to make a purchase to trigger another coupon I'd think.
Funny enough, I actually dislike when they do these big promotions. All the good cards dry up within seconds and people actually lower their discounts because they know they can sell the cards at face value with Raise picking up the 7% tab, haha!

EDIT: Example, Walmart, Amazon and Disney are all now out of stock

I need help figuring out when to apply for the next few cards and what my next moves should be.

Wishlist:
CIP#2 for me
CIP#1 for DH
Hilton Aspire probably for DH
CIC

Stats:
ME
01/17 CSR (keeping as I accumulate all points here)
06/17 CSP -> Freedom
10/17 CIP (EIN)
01/18 SPG Biz
07/18 Amex Gold
07/18 IHG
12/18 SW Biz
01/19 SW Plus

DH:
06/17 Freedom AU
06/18 CSR (not renewing, pc to Freedom #2 or maybe FU)
11/18 SW Plus
01/19 SW Biz

Leaning toward the Aspire for him since I'm not renewing his CSR, that will give both of us Priority Pass. With travel plans for 6 to Hawaii, hoping we can make use of the passes. The hotel credit would help cover the resort fee in Hawaii and then I'd have a free night to use somewhere. I'm still debating this card, I do like to pick up hotel cards when I have a stay planned and accumulating free nights is pushing us to take that weekend away that we desperately need.

I'd like to space apps at least a month for meeting spend just in case.

Of note: mortgage is fairly new (June 18), he went a long time with no new CCs, only auto loans and a mortgage prior to that. We do have older cards (20+ years). Not sure if these matter, but with Chase shutdowns... covering all bases.

For your next Chase card I’d space out the application 3 months from your SW plus since you got the SW cards a month apart...don’t forget to self refer
If your ready for another MSP...your DH could apply for the Aspire now

Doctor of Credit has a post about it. I did a sweet bonus with them in 2017 for $400. I wish I could do this one, but I already have a "savings product" with them.

ThanKs. Will check out DoC. But how long did you keep the money in the account?

using). Even with all my discount stacking prowess, the Tumi is still much more expensive than the Away carry-on (which I can discount further with one of their mailer coupons). And the Aways come in PINK and kids sizes for DD!

I got the Away luggage as a gift and it’s amazing. Super light weight and easy to move. I met SO at the airport one time (he got off of work and went straight there) and had two big luggage’s to transport alone and it was so easy. I don’t see them much in DCA, but they are everywhere at JFK/LQA. My only complaint is the light color ones get so dirty (I have the big one and the carry on and when I check it it gets banged up. I use a magic easier tho and it comes clean. I just never used to clean my luggage after a trip before lol.

WDWNT just tweeted out about a 50 minute line for Nemo at Epcot today and the line for Turtle Talk being out to the gift shop...

I've always said that I thought my "superior touring knowledge" could even overcome a busy holiday weekend...but I think we've crossed over to that statement being wrong. It is crazy busy there, lol!
I thought last Monday was bad enough! An hour for it's a small world at noon, fastpasses for all the mountains gone for parties of 7 by mid-morning. I will occasionally wait 45-60 minutes for a good ride, but when your second tier rides are an hour that's where I draw the line. Just not that fun. We have never gone in summer, Christmas, or spring break, but February 9 and 11 this year I thought were just crazy busy. I can't even imagine going during the "busy" times!

I thought last Monday was bad enough! An hour for it's a small world at noon, fastpasses for all the mountains gone for parties of 7 by mid-morning. I will occasionally wait 45-60 minutes for a good ride, but when your second tier rides are an hour that's where I draw the line. Just not that fun. We have never gone in summer, Christmas, or spring break, but February 9 and 11 this year I thought were just crazy busy. I can't even imagine going during the "busy" times!
I know! I still feel like I could do better than 95% of folks in the park today...but my "better" with those lines would still make for a miserable day. No wonder I often see comments on FaceBook from distant friends saying "Never Again" or "Terrible Trip" when they go to Disney - they just have no clue what they're doing lol!

From the Raise discussions between @wendow and @SouthFayetteFan , Raise 7% off ($10 max) promo code for today - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/raise-7-off-sitewide-with-promo-code-potus-10-max-savings/

Could be useful if needing to make a purchase to trigger another coupon I'd think.

Or hey, for all the Ebates customers with “new” MR accounts that need to spend $25 in the next 90 days or so to earn the $15 signup bonus, go through Ebates to Raise and buy a discounted GC that’s further discounted by this promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter