• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much. It seemed like the best option to me, too, but I was hoping there was some "perfect card" out there that would be better. I should have moved on this one before applying for the dumb Citi one. I'll look into the venmo stuff. Is there info on dischurners on there?

Thanks for the info. I need to look up how to use Venmo although I hope we won't have to use it.

First rule: DO NOT do P2P (peer/person-to-peer/person) payments using PayPal, Venmo, etc. between family/relatives/people who share the same last name or address using Amex cards. There are several DPs that Amex will freeze your accounts and hit you with a mini-FR.

2: Chase doesn't care about P2P payments between family/relatives/people who share the same last name or address.

2(a): Venmo used to earn 3x UR on the payment and the fee on the CIP, but that died around February. Venmo now only earns 1x UR on the CIP, so it's really only worth using the CIP on Venmo to help meet MSR.

3: Venmo cares somewhat if you're using their platform for MS, and will freeze or close your account (tying up any of your funds they're holding) if they think you're doing something shady. Venmo has tightened restrictions to limit users to adding only 4 credit/debit cards to your account in a rolling 6 months period. This limits the velocity and utility of liquidating certain MCGC/VGC gift cards as debit (and therefore no fee) through Venmo, and adding new credit cards for MSR. Venmo also has limits on amounts transferred and withdrawn per week unless you take steps to verify your account.

4: Think of Venmo as only a conduit.

If you are doing P2P between you and DD -- say DD adds her CIP to Venmo, and uses the CIP to fund a payment to send you $1k for "reimbursement for moving expenses, thx mom 😘" or "plane tickets, thx for booking ✈" or "Happy birthday mom! 🎂 🎁 💸" via Venmo (DD > Venmo > You), that's a $1k (+ 3% fee) charge on her CIP, and $1k and change closer to meeting MSR. But DD will also be on the hook for that $1k charge on her credit card bill.

You then need to get that $1k payment back to DD so she can pay her bill. DO NOT send the $1k back to DD via the same conduit (i.e., DD < Venmo < You). Back-and-forth transfers will get you shut down by Venmo. You would withdraw the $1k from Venmo to your bank account, then write DD a check or do an electronic transfer to DD, so that the money gets back to DD's bank account. Once the funds are withdrawn from your Venmo account, Venmo has no idea where those funds go next. It doesn't matter if DD has the same bank as you or not (ideally not the same shared bank account) -- as long as you can get the money back to DD to pay her credit card bill and as long as you don't use Venmo to transfer the funds back to DD.

5: It's a good idea to "season" your Venmo account to establish some pattern or history of transfers, so the occasional $500 or $2k doesn't look like a big deal. For your post-grad aged DD, it looks totally natural for a caring mom to send money for textbooks, lab fees, club dues, tuition, shopping, fun, ski trips, spring break, etc., and it'd be nice if DD reimbursed you for some of these expenses. Be creative. Use those emojis because Venmo is supposed to be a fun "social" way of sending money. :)

Last edited:
First rule: DO NOT do P2P (peer/person-to-peer/person) payments using PayPal, Venmo, etc. between family/relatives/people who share the same last name or address using Amex cards. There are several DPs that Amex will freeze your accounts and hit you with a mini-FR.

2: Chase doesn't care about P2P payments between family/relatives/people who share the same last name or address.

2(a): Venmo used to earn 3x UR on the payment and the fee on the CIP, but that died around February. Venmo now only earns 1x UR on the CIP, so it's really only worth using the CIP on Venmo to help meet MSR.

3: Venmo cares somewhat if you're using their platform for MS, and will freeze or close your account (tying up any of your funds they're holding) if they think you're doing something shady. Venmo has tightened restrictions to limit users to adding only 4 credit/debit cards to your account in a rolling 6 months period. This limits the velocity and utility of liquidating certain MCGC/VGC gift cards as debit (and therefore no fee) through Venmo, and adding new credit cards for MSR. Venmo also has limits on amounts transferred and withdrawn per week unless you take steps to verify your account.

4: Think of Venmo as only a conduit.

If you are doing P2P between you and DD -- say DD adds her CIP to Venmo, and uses the CIP to fund a payment to send you $1k for "reimbursement for moving expenses, thx mom 😘" or "plane tickets, thx for booking ✈" or "Happy birthday mom! 🎂 🎁 💸" via Venmo (DD > Venmo > You), that's a $1k (+ 3% fee) charge on her CIP, and $1k and change closer to meeting MSR. But DD will also be on the hook for that $1k charge on her credit card bill.

You then need to get that $1k payment back to DD so she can pay her bill. DO NOT send the $1k back to DD via the same conduit (i.e., DD < Venmo < You). Back-and-forth transfers will get you shut down by Venmo. You would withdraw the $1k from Venmo to your bank account, then write DD a check or do an electronic transfer to DD, so that the money gets back to DD's bank account. Once the funds are withdrawn from your Venmo account, Venmo has no idea where those funds go next. It doesn't matter if DD has the same bank as you or not -- as long as you can get the money back to DD to pay her credit card bill and as long as you don't use Venmo to transfer the funds back to DD.

5: It's a good idea to "season" your Venmo account to establish some pattern or history of transfers, so the occasional $500 or $2k doesn't look like a big deal. For your post-grad aged DD, it looks totally natural for a caring mom to send money for textbooks, lab fees, club dues, tuition, shopping, fun, ski trips, spring break, etc., and it'd be nice if DD reimbursed you for some of these expenses. Be creative. Use those emojis because Venmo is supposed to be a fun "social" way of sending money. :)

Wow. That sounds a little complicated, but I will go over it carefully with DD. Apparently she has a Venmo account that she has used with friends after they travel together so they can even out the cost. I had no idea! :rotfl:

Can I ask one more question? For total household income (she is living with us for part of the summer) do we put in the real total, or do they want her total income?

Lol I did my first two Chase cards 40 days apart. They've let me get 5 more since then, so I don't think they're too mad.

The finished product is CRAZY expensive. I just bought the pattern from her and did it myself! Only $4 for the pattern.
You ain't akiddin with EXPENSIVE!

I had a SW personal App last 12.3 and a SW BIZ on 1.4.19. This was the longest time for getting approved. Took Chase 3 days!

Wow. That sounds a little complicated, but I will go over it carefully with DD. Apparently she has a Venmo account that she has used with friends after they travel together so they can even out the cost. I had no idea! :rotfl:

Can I ask one more question? For total household income (she is living with us for part of the summer) do we put in the real total, or do they want her total income?

After a lot of nudging, @wendow finally jumped on Venmo to help meet big MSRs. You'll figure it out!

As for DD's income, if she's under 21, she can only count personal income from her job, scholarships, or grants; she can’t include parents’ income. If she's over 21, she can count any sources of income to which she'll have “reasonable expectation of access."

I think they want her income. But if you read it, it says that if someone else covers your expenses you can add that as income. Do season her Venmo account with transfers between the two of you before she goes. DD tried to send me something the other day and it wanted to send a confirmation code to her US # that she is not using so it wouldn't go through. Not sure why, I know she has been using it there and we are Venmo "friends", but maybe it has been awhile since she sent me money, or maybe we haven't at all. I do have access to her bank account so sometimes I just do it that way if she owes me money.

Still at 2 weeks for her. I have only called 3 times, I think that is pretty good. lol

Take a look at boat rides on Lake Michigan or the Chicago River. My kids enjoyed the Sea Dog when they were younger.
You could also look at food tours. We did a one that included pizza, chicago hot dogs etc. Started just a short walk from the Mag Mile.
Yes @Alexle2007 , there are usually Groupons for lots of these tours. Lots of fun!

Sorry :o it’s embarrassing how long it took me to listen to you about Venmo. And I know I asked the same questions over and over:rolleyes1
The sooner we all accept that @Lain is right...the better off we'll all be. (I know this sounds sarcastic...but I truly mean this!! Some of this advice he dishes out is PURE GOLD!)

After a lot of nudging, @wendow finally jumped on Venmo to help meet big MSRs. You'll figure it out!

As for DD's income, if she's under 21, she can only count personal income from her job, scholarships, or grants; she can’t include parents’ income. If she's over 21, she can count any sources of income to which she'll have “reasonable expectation of access."

Hmmm. She's 22 and we aren't going to let her starve, so I wonder what would be "reasonable" in this circumstance. She is between her bachelor's and the next degree, and gets a stipend for her year of research but we aren't sure it will let her eat in one of the most expensive cities in the world. :rolleyes1

I think they want her income. But if you read it, it says that if someone else covers your expenses you can add that as income. Do season her Venmo account with transfers between the two of you before she goes. DD tried to send me something the other day and it wanted to send a confirmation code to her US # that she is not using so it wouldn't go through. Not sure why, I know she has been using it there and we are Venmo "friends", but maybe it has been awhile since she sent me money, or maybe we haven't at all. I do have access to her bank account so sometimes I just do it that way if she owes me money.

Still at 2 weeks for her. I have only called 3 times, I think that is pretty good. lol

Yep, she brought this up as an issue since she will be changing her sim card (and thus her phone number) as soon as she gets there.

Sorry :o it’s embarrassing how long it took me to listen to you about Venmo. And I know I asked the same questions over and over:rolleyes1

Haha. I bet that will be me soon enough.

Haha. I bet that will be me soon enough.

If your DD is in college she most definitely knows how to use it. That is how they operate now. Cash is even more of a thing of the past than ever. DD18 just went to Canada and I told her she might need to use the ATM to get cash if it was necessary and she was like WHAT, I don't know how to do that. lol She has never gotten cash out before! I thought that was a little strange, but they just don't need it. I rarely use it, but I do go to an ATM a few times a year, usually to give kids cash, lol, so maybe my ATM days are done too. You can have your Venmo transaction public and sometimes it is funny to just scroll through there and see what people put for their reason. One of the top ones right now that I can see is "bunz on da couch." I have no idea who either of the people are, lol, but I can see why they got paid.

If your DD is in college she most definitely knows how to use it. That is how they operate now. Cash is even more of a thing of the past than ever. DD18 just went to Canada and I told her she might need to use the ATM to get cash if it was necessary and she was like WHAT, I don't know how to do that. lol She has never gotten cash out before! I thought that was a little strange, but they just don't need it. I rarely use it, but I do go to an ATM a few times a year, usually to give kids cash, lol, so maybe my ATM days are done too. You can have your Venmo transaction public and sometimes it is funny to just scroll through there and see what people put for their reason. One of the top ones right now that I can see is "bunz on da couch." I have no idea who either of the people are, lol, but I can see why they got paid.
Same. My dd19 has probably never gotten cash from the ATM. Venmo? yep. All college kids know how to use it and it's really the parent who needs to 'season' their account lol. Not the kid!

Hogwarts quiz:

G 28%
R 25%
H 22%
S 26%

AND- I have a bid on the second item I've placed for sale on eBay! So far so good. Now I just have to get the kids to help finish with the Lego minifigure display. I've decided to put them up as a large lot rather than try to sell smaller items individually since it will be much easier to toss them all in one box rather than 40 tiny bubble envelopes (even though I just ordered and received 40 tiny bubble envelopes..... :rolleyes1)

Got my $1,000 FFDs from Plastiq for referring my wife. And her $500 FFDs are showing too now :)

I realized though that my wife didn't get the initial $50 FFDs that I got when I signed up (using @amalone1013's link)... For a minute I was upset, then I realized that was only worth $1.25 so who cares, lol! At some point you have to let stuff go (says the guy who agonized over a decision between $2.21 vs $1.53 for deodorant...........) So yeah, glad I finally found a use for Plastiq!

At any rate...once my HELOC transaction all goes through and I see that this works well with my bank, I'm going to hammer out the remaining $4,500 on my wife's new AA Biz :)

The most remarkable thing to me about the grAAvy train...we're going to go from 10k AA miles to 433k AA miles in < 6 months. (2 player mode of course - but it's still INSANE to me)...
Nice! I can’t get DH on the train. Citi hates him.
Another vote for plastic bin-we have 2, actually, one for diet dog food for the bulldog and one for the regular dog food. Just like kids, they prefer whatever they're not fed :rolleyes2 When I worked at the rescue, we used aluminum trash cans-the lids are quite sturdy, seal well and they hold a lot.
Truth. The puppy steals every bite she can from old dog’s prescription ultra low fat food. Of course she also snagged jhalf of DSs burger today too. Old dog with pancreatitis eats puppy’s high fat food when I’m not looking.
DH comes back from Chicago for work tonight. He said they had pizza last night. My first thought was Giordanos because that's where my family went back in 2012... though I think we picked it on a whim. I didnt know it was a thing until getting on these boaeds. He said they went to Lou Malnatis in Naperville
Lou’s is pretty good. Although I can’t stand their sausage pizza because they put it on as a giant patty, edge to edge, instead of chunks or crumbles. Makes it super greasy. (BTW I’m not far from Naperville)
When I lived in chicago we ate at uno’s (gross), gino’s East (meh), and gioradono’s (my favorite). Ds had Lou milnati’s once (step mom ordered it for his dad’s bday) so he wanted to go there. The wait at 2 pm was an hour and ds was hangry and unimpressed! Anyway, I still like gioradono’s the best!
Yeah, Giordano’s is my fave chain. Lou’s is pretty good. Haven’t had the others in years. Since Giordano’s is pricey (for pizza) we usually go with thin crust at a local family owned placed. If stuffed though, gotta be Giordano’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter