I feel so poor...

BaybeeYoda

Mouseketeer
I feel so poor now... Is it just me? I feel that Disney is starting to price me out, and I never considered myself impoverished before....

I get it, first world problems, boohoo, so sad, too bad.... but I've been going to disney for over 12 years consistently (anywhere between 5 days to 14 days every year) and I'm starting to feel as if I really can't afford the pricing anymore.

Paying rack rate in January was definitely hard to swallow - never been to Disney without a discount before. Hoping we continue to see more discounts after the summer!

I feel so poor now... Is it just me? I feel that Disney is starting to price me out, and I never considered myself impoverished before....

I get it, first world problems, boohoo, so sad, too bad.... but I've been going to disney for over 12 years consistently (anywhere between 5 days to 14 days every year) and I'm starting to feel as if I really can't afford the pricing anymore.
We're not priced out but we certainly understand the feeling. When inflation is taking huge bites out of your paycheck, it's hard to justify spending Disney prices on a "luxury" vacation.

I just saw where heating oil has gone up 101% since last year and I don't know how much colder we can tolerate our thermostat being set at. I'm more worried about that than I am about future Disney trips.

It's tough when circumstances disrupt the things in life that are part of our own or a family identity. My physical health forced me to stop going like I did for years and it's been hard on me to have change forced on me so I get it. Maybe set a date out into the future to aim for and create a little fund so you can have it to look forward to even if you have to move the date, even if you can't go right away you'll have a bit of savings and that's good. I've been moving the goalpost a few years now and am at peace with the fact reality and want don't always match up on time.... I still have a plan :)

Not when you're on a Disney fan message board. If anyone would understand the OP's point, it would be the people here.

Now if someone posted that they are stuck deciding whether to pay their rent or buy food, it would be in poor taste to chime in with "Yeah, I can't go to WDW this year. I feel so poor, too!"

They have a point esp when this is the budget board. Would be different posting her asking for tips or how helpful the tips this board have been.

I think a lot of people feel poor when it comes to Disney. I just booked 5 nights and going solo, even at pop, is going to be well above I want to pay the next time I want to go. It's more than I would like to pay but I'll find gc deals and stuff to make it more tolerable. But beyond next March I'll be figuring out a way to stay at S&D on points or a DS hotel on points. That's something I can get help/tips for on this board but just complaining to complain should be on community imo.

Because of the lack of discounts, higher Disney prices, and general inflation, we have cut back in other areas to keep Disney in the mix. Vacationing is something we always budget for, provided we can, as it helps keep me sane to have something to look forward to.

Thankfully we do not drive much and gas prices do not have an impact on us. We have cut out most of our eating out and delivery. I have been more concious about meal planning and sticking just to what I need. We are cutting out our fall beach trip and pushed next Disney to 18 months from last trip.

I feel a pinch these days, but I know we are blessed and doing better than probably a lot of folks.

Inflation is also looming in Sweden. No wonder, it's an international phenomenon. The supply-driven inflation which companies must guard against to defend their profits and 2, they have pricing power to do so because obviously we pay consumers what companies demand for their goods and services. Admittedly with abit complaining, but what the hell does it do.

I see examples of this every day… most recently talked to an acquaintance who was looking at booking a trip to Spain for a week this summer. Something they usually do. He was shocked by air fares, hotels and the prices of restaurants. As he said, it does not usually get cheap, but clearly worth it. Now it is twice as expensive for a week. To which I replied, so you did not book? Yes, damn it…. we booked. But it's really sour. 🙂 I think this is a “spoiled” example, but the phenomenon itself is found in all countries in all income groups.

Companies raise prices to match rising costs. But they would rather sell ONE item / service to a worse margin than No item / service. But a company also prefers to sell 10 goods / services with a good margin than 15 to a clearly worse margin.

The only thing that IS INTERESTING is that we 1, can actually pay and 2, are still willing to pay, ie we think it's worth it. But from an economic perspective, the phenomenon is completely uninteresting. The interesting thing IS when we say 1, sorry, but I do NOT pay that amount to go to disney with my family OR 2, I would like to go but can not for the money has gone to food, energy and interest costs and other things that have become more expensive so I actually do not have money left in the wallet to pay with. Then things happen.

Probably this will happen soon in the same way at the same time, and then the demand will get a crack…. and then my friends… then everything turns around. But we're obviously not there yet. companies do not want to continue raise prices as they feel lower demand.

Last edited:

Honestly, my family wouldn't have went as much as we did in past years, or stayed at any of the deluxe resorts, if it hadn't been for military discounts. While we'll be back, I will not pay that Star Wars resort price...DH and son will just have to deal with it. :P

Last edited:
People who are truly poor are not on Disney message boards. I think you need to take comments on here in that context. <edited>

i dunno about that. i know people on minimum wage, scraping by paycheck to paycheck, availing themselves of every cost cutting measure and means to get by. seniors/disabled on limited incomes for whom the current inflationary trends are devastating BUT- to my way of thinking they are by far less 'truly poor' than the number of people i've seen over the years on these boards who openly speak to the horrific mountains of debt they are in and adding constantly to repeatedly directly due to feeding their desire for disney, cruising and other expensive vacations.

some people's idea of 'truly poor' is the person who lives a minimalist existence w/ no extravagances or assets, as for me i'm more inclined to perceive someone as 'truly poor' if their financial situation is a house of cards wherein they continue to engage in extravagances beyond their financial means such that they will never dig themselves out of debt and any assets they have are in reality not their own but mortgaged and secured to the hilt for their indebtedness.

over the years i've enjoyed many threads contributed to by dis members on VERY limited incomes who have graciously and generously shared their struggles and successes to save for decades to achieve their disney dreams if even only for just a day or two. likewise others who feel they can never afford the cost but enjoy living vicariously and sharing in other's trip planning and reporting magic. we've shard the joy of births, sadness over deaths, supported one another though devastating personal tragedies and well as national and international. there's no minimum income requirements to belong just a minimum requirement of mutual respect, decency and polite behavior.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who would actually be considered poor are worried about things like food and shelter, not whether they’ll have to slum it at the motel-style hotel instead of the one with the train that goes through it.

And there is a huge difference between saying “They’re pricing me out” and “Wow I’m suddenly poor because I can’t keep my Disney World streak alive for 13 years.”

Y’all need some space and perspective in life.
my perspective is just fine but thanks for the advice. Like my problem now is that my family has outgrown one room and I have to get a suite or 2 rooms.

Goodness. The OP pointed out that this wasn't a first world problem. Can we stop being offended by EVERYTHING??

Or I have a better idea..can we keep our opinions about somebody else to ourselves?? Why must we comment on anything and everything that we don't agree with. Can't we all just get along??

Yes--I'm expressing my opinion.

Goodness. The OP pointed out that this wasn't a first world problem. Can we stop being offended by EVERYTHING??

Or I have a better idea..can we keep our opinions about somebody else to ourselves?? Why must we comment on anything and everything that we don't agree with. Can't we all just get along??

Who said I was offended? I can roll my eyes without being offended.

It's a message board here for discussion and opinions. If you don't want that then don't post.

All of the problems brought up here are 1st world or it'd be even worse problems like famine.

I get that Disney is expensive but we budget. We are also DVC members with 2 contracts however the maintenance fees alone on those 2 contracts are almost the price of my mortgage. They go up and up every year. Apparently the animals at Jambo take alot of our dues to get taken care of 🤣🤣🤣 but I truly don't think anyone lurking Disney boards are poor to the point of not being able to survive and if so that's a whole other issue in itself

OP here….

Feeling poor is not being poor. Just relaying that I feel incredibly squeezed by Disney more so now than ever, and was wondering if others are FEELING similarly.

Goodness, did not mean to offend nor make light of those who are actually struggling to make ends meet…

Last edited:
Feeling poor is not being poor. Just relaying that I feel incredibly squeezed by Disney more so now than ever, and was wondering if others are FEELING similarly.

Goodness, did not mean to offend nor make light of those who are actually struggling to make ends meet…
I feel like the value is not there in terms of the hotel prices. They were always expensive for what you got, but now they are truly outrageous. People seem to still be paying but not sure how long that will last once we get beyond the famous 'pent up demand'.

I totally understand the feeling and I've felt it for quite a while. I have been acutely aware of it since Disney reopened. It's not just the increased food, lodging and tickets prices. It's the cuts in services and entertainment that accompany the price increases. Like a PP stated, it's not just the cost. It's about the perceived value.

We're not priced out but we certainly understand the feeling. When inflation is taking huge bites out of your paycheck, it's hard to justify spending Disney prices on a "luxury" vacation.

I just saw where heating oil has gone up 101% since last year and I don't know how much colder we can tolerate our thermostat being set at. I'm more worried about that than I am about future Disney trips.

I'm MUCH more concerned about the price of heating oil come Autumn than I am about the price of gas, we use a lot more heating oil!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter