Hurricane Ian - WDW Resorts Related Updates, Planning & Discussion

Here’s a few to check out:
Episode #013
Episode 008 - this one’s all about the creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.
Episode 004 - the master plan
Episode 005
Episode 006 and 007
Episode 011 - features lots of info about Joe Fowler, Joe Potter, and Richard Irvine.
Thank you!! Always looking for some stuff to listen to on my drive to work this is great!

Last edited:
I will go look. One sec.
I'm not allowed to post weblinks yet, but I did a site-specific Google search and found a Connecting with Walt podcast from 4/8/2016 that has this description:

"In this episode, we bring you the history of three Disney Legends who helped build Walt Disney World – Joe Potter, Joe Fowler and Richard Irvine."

Does that sound like the one you recommended?

Also I'd be surprised if they opened up the parks just for resort guests. It is massively expensive to open/run the parks and they pretty much count on them being pretty full most of the time to make it worth it.

It would not be responsible for them to open up to everyone until the infrastructure is mostly back to normal in the surrounding communities (of course there will be lingering issues to be addressed for a while) and provide temptation for people, there is a lot of flooding and emergency crews are tied up and need people to stay out of both their and harm's way while they are dealing with the immediate issues. Right now they are asking people to stay off the roads, first responders are overwhelmed and don't need people getting in more trouble because they are trying to get to Disney right now. I think Disney will remain closed as long as County officials are requesting people shelter in place and stay off the roads.
Not to mention the CMs who would fighting their way into work.

Better to not have lots of people on the roads until things are cleaned up and assessed.

Has anyone actually seen a park come open for Sept 30 for a PASSHOLDER reservation? Or only for resort guests?

Has anyone actually seen a park come open for Sept 30 for a PASSHOLDER reservation? Or only for resort guests?
Even as a resort guest, I’m getting nothing.

There is a line in the lobby of Coronado about 100 people long. We waited 45 minutes just to be told to keep checking MDE.

There is a line in the lobby of Coronado about 100 people long. We waited 45 minutes just to be told to keep checking MDE.

Unfortunately since there is no penalty for not cancelling a park reservation, I bet all the people who originally had reservations but have left or never arrived still have them.

Yikes, so even as a resort guest they can't book a reservation for you and MDE currently doesn't show any reservations available for resort guests?

I'm not allowed to post weblinks yet, but I did a site-specific Google search and found a Connecting with Walt podcast from 4/8/2016 that has this description:

"In this episode, we bring you the history of three Disney Legends who helped build Walt Disney World – Joe Potter, Joe Fowler and Richard Irvine."

Does that sound like the one you recommended?
Yes!

The front desk must have just made our park reservations for us because now we have them in MDE. Yay! But, they used my complimentary 1-day ticket instead of my AP. I was hoping to either use that ticket if they could apply it as a discount to my AP renewal or reassign it to someone else (i.e. my husband or kids). Should I go through the trouble of seeing if they can switch the reservation to my AP tomorrow before we go to the park?

The front desk must have just made our park reservations for us because now we have them in MDE. Yay! But, they used my complimentary 1-day ticket instead of my AP. I was hoping to either use that ticket if they could apply it as a discount to my AP renewal or reassign it to someone else (i.e. my husband or kids). Should I go through the trouble of seeing if they can switch the reservation to my AP tomorrow before we go to the park?

If you can get it taken care of before opening I would, but you can do it even after entering the park for the day, they’ll be able to see what happened and will correct it.

Hope everyone enjoys what will be an amazing experience today. 2 hours of early entry at every park. I am so jealous!

Universal said they were doing a phased opening for resort guests only but not a word about which parks or opening times and no one to ask that knows anything, their website shows all parks still closed.

Update from Poly -

This is my 4th Hurricane, wife and kids first. We had a pool view room at Poly. It sure sounded nasty outside - enough that it woke me up at 3am during the peak of the storm. Cast here has been amazing - plenty of activities in the Great Ceremonial House. Mickey, Pluto, Lilo, and Stitch were in the lobby for the activities and all the kids got so much personal time with them - it was great. No issues with food or booze - we were well taken care of.

Here’s a view of the storm from our room, and some of the aftermath:
Hurricane Ian from Disney’s Polynesian Resort!

FYI to those attending the parks at 8 am sharp for Early Theme Park Entry - we boarded a bus @ 6:56 am and our bus driver said they aren’t allowed to be at the MK until 7:45 am. So we will be making loops around the resort until he can leave.

Update, the bus is full, so we will now be taking the “scenic” route.

Update, 7:31 am and we are passing Epcot going back toward CSR 😂

Ok we are here, whew! Beautiful day. High of 81 with a dew point of 57 😍

Last edited:
Theme park reservations are not tied to any specific ticket, as long as you have valid ticket media for that day you are good. I recommend shifting the comp ticket to a "holding" profile -- maybe use your initials or middle name -- that way it won't accidentally get used. Otherwise, stop at Guest Relations or a ticket window to have the AP prioritized (you would think that's logical to use the AP but WDW's IT isn't so smart).

As a note, I don't believe you'll be able to apply the 1-day to your AP renewal. Comp tickets have no value other than for the park entry and cannot be upgraded. But you should be able to share it with someone else.

Park reservations still not showing for today. So I guess we will have a lazy morning before going to the airport.

We can't make any either. On site hotel is linked and we have valid AP's. Pretty disappointed, honestly, since we had reservations yesterday and it wouldn't allow us to move them. I know a lot of people here extended trips to make up for lost park days and now can't get in :(

My toddler will be incredibly sad when he wakes up that we can't go ride Dumbo this morning afterall.

Guessing they have more trees down and probably some flooding. Also, different logistics to pull in RVs and trailers versus people walking around at a resort when considering clean up.
I know nothing about RVs or camping, but does disney have to wait a bit for the ground to drain/dry or else the RVs will tear up the ground and you end up with ruts all over the place?

As of this morning, no clue if Universal plans to open anything. They had said they were doing a phased opening for resort guests today but there are no park hours listed for any of the parks and the Universal rep at the hotel didn’t know anything - advice was to check back later. I understand not opening, I don’t understand saying you are, then not without a word. And I thought Disney was bad at communication.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter