How to Handle Criticism of Disney Weddings

Out of all the people we planned to invite and have spoken to so far only one person has reacted to our choice of venue positively and that was my mum! We have one friend who couldn't care less, she just wants to be there when we get married no matter where it is but everyone else has had something negative to say. Out of the rest of them we've had everything from they'll come because it's our wedding but laugh because it's at wdw right through to "Oh no, we don't like Orlando and you couldn't pay us to go to wdw" (and that was from someone who has family living in Orlando!).

So far no amount of telling people that a Disney doesn't have to mean Mickey, princesses, castles and bright colours has made the slightest bit of difference. But then these are the same people who laugh at us for choosing wdw for a vacation so I shouldn't be too surprised! At the moment I'm torn between two approaches. Create an amazing wedsite that showcases the kind of celebration we will be having and send basic invites (minimal information with a link to the wed site) out to the people we would like to be there with us. Or option two is take the view that if they're going to turn their noses up at the idea of our Disney wedding then they're more interested in free food and entertainment than the wedding of their friends so just leave them off the invite list altogether.

Wow, I am really glad this was posted, I thought I was the only one! When DF and I first got engaged we announced that we were getting married at WDW, because we knew that was where we wanted to get married way before he even proposed. So far, a lot of people I tell are pretty surprised and impressed, and most of my family members are begging to be invited. But the problem is, my DAD and stepmom are the only people who seem to think it's "weird" that we are having our wedding at Disney (at least, that we know about). I can't get a break from him, every time I talk about the wedding with him he always has a comment, like the usual "Is Mickey going to marry you?" etc. etc. I can handle some teasing but after a while it's like, ok it's not funny anymore. But how do you tell your own dad to shut up? It certainly is aggravating for anyone when people say negative things like that.

I love Disney! So any one who knows me (past or present) knows Im a HARDCORE Disney fan! So everyone says its a perfect fit! However, my parents, especially my mom, thinks theres something wrong with me for loving Disney so much and for wanting a Disney wedding. Even though I told her that many people have Disney weddings ( I believe its like 15,000 a year) she only responded that there are lots of other people with something wrong with them. Which doesnt matter anyways cuz shes not even coming to my wedding (her choice) cuz she doesnt approve of my bf.

To Partofdisneysworld, I hope things get better with your dad. Just sit him down and let him know that although he doesnt understand, Disney and your wedding are very special and that you would like him to stop making comments like that. If hes a real father and has an ounce of sensitvity (unlike my parents) then he will listen to his daughter. :thumbsup2

I went to a design conference today and I ended up in a lot of conversations about the whole Disney wedding idea. Every single person I talked to was critical. Every. Single. Person.

I got everything from "Disney weddings? are you serious?" to "I would make fun of someone if they told me they were getting married at Disneyland." The concept that Disney weddings could be stylish and elegant and amazing was completely lost. In fact, most people wanted to know if all the brides picked a princess and then wore that costume down the aisle. I think the general impression most people had was a cross between a Renaissance Fair and a Star Wars convention.

How do you handle people who dismiss your wedding once they find out it's happening at Disney?

I tell them we've been happily married for 10 years now. Three of our friends who got married at the same time cannot say the same. We were the only Disney couple. Oh, and I'd say, "TTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!"

:worship:

I SO wish I could forward this to all my nay-sayers, but that would cause a fight! But I can sympathize.

I get the usual: Are you getting married by Mickey Mouse? Are you spending your wedding night in the castle? Why there, I can't afford that!

But I'm hoping that once my people get there, the Disney magic will work to convince them to change their minds. If not, at least I know my DF and my MOH are behind me 110%, and all that matters is that WE'RE happy.

My sweetie and I are about to get engaged and a lot of our planning will start once we have an idea of how our families are going to react to the idea of a destination wedding in Florida. My family is in NJ and his is in PA. It's a second marriage for the both of us. I anticipate that we're going to get a lot of crap from people because of the expense and the travel but anyone who knows us well knows we'd never marry anywhere else.

Just tell them to wait and see for themselves! None of our families had been there in over 10 years and couldn't understand how a Disney wedding could have any class. We lived through all the same skepticism and now this year everyone has booked a vacation to go there with us again for our 1 year anniversary! And BTW let them think what they want... They will be totally surprised and blown away with it either in person or from seeing your pictures! Don't waste your time worrying about it.

The salesgirl at David's bridal laughed at me when I told her where our destination wedding was being held. My 12 year old niece responded - "why are you laughing?! I think it's awesome!!!". As the salesgirl walked away, my niece said in a very loud whisper - "she is just jealous because no one wants to marry her at Disney World!!" :hug:

The salesgirl at David's bridal laughed at me when I told her where our destination wedding was being held. My 12 year old niece responded - "why are you laughing?! I think it's awesome!!!". As the salesgirl walked away, my niece said in a very loud whisper - "she is just jealous because no one wants to marry her at Disney World!!" :hug:

Your niece is awesome!!!!!!

I haven't had anybody laugh; rather, most people that I've told seem to think I'm having a David Tutera extravaganza that will eventually air on WE. I just politely explain to them that our wedding will be a much simpler and more intimate affair than the type they have seen on TV.

This is absolutely the best! :goodvibes

I've gotten the typical "why not have it here" "is goofy the best man?"

Carly, You have to remember...you're at a design conference. Everyone there has to LIVE UP TO Disney standards...and they know they can't. You don't blog for designers at the conference. You provide virtually free advertising to the competitor and nothing for them.
Face it women can be cruel...and in the business world...even more so.

sorry about what people are saying but who cares. this is your day and a disney wedding would be great good luck and best wishes

That's brilliant

Different strokes for different folks.

A lot of us here have had the opportunity to experience special moments in disney for years and it means more than just characters and rides. Its unfortunate that others haven't, but hey, that's not something you ever should feel bad a about.

Don't listen to the haters.:goodvibes

Oh yeah, I got alot of crap for wanting to go to WDW for our honeymoon. 'Why would you choose Disney when you could go to the caribbean, europe or hawaii?' Umm, thats where we wanted to go and you have no part in our choice so just keep your mouth shut!
I truly wanted a Disney wedding however I wasn't able to get all the people there that I wanted to pull it off. But now I'm ok with it! :)

Oh yeah, I got alot of crap for wanting to go to WDW for our honeymoon. 'Why would you choose Disney when you could go to the caribbean, europe or hawaii?' Umm, thats where we wanted to go and you have no part in our choice so just keep your mouth shut!

Hahahaha. Yea it never ends.

"Disney again? Don't you want to travel the world and see {insert European country here}"

Not really :confused3

as for ANy destination wedding, be aware that a lot of people don't have the money to travel , or the time to travel those dates, or, if they do, would rather vacation somewhere else than where YOU want to vacation.
that being said... can I come to your wedding? :rotfl:

I was worried at first..more because I was worried my parents wouldn't go for it. But they did..and they were both very impressed by how lovely our wedding was, how much fun they had, and how professional yet warm and kind the staff was. DH and i decided very early on that if anyone criticized us for getting married there and they were going to be invited, our response would be: We are sorry you feel that way, but since you can't be happy for us with our choice, then please don't come. We both had waited too long to find one another and if people were going to complain, then they were not going to be part of our day. That might sound rude, but that's what we decided.

the salesgirl at david's bridal laughed at me when i told her where our destination wedding was being held. My 12 year old niece responded - "why are you laughing?! I think it's awesome!!!". As the salesgirl walked away, my niece said in a very loud whisper - "she is just jealous because no one wants to marry her at disney world!!" :hug:

kiss your neice from me!

I just don't understand why people don't keep their mouths shut about it...it's not your wedding, and if you don't want to come, then RSVP "No" when the time comes. Don't presume to know how many people will want to come "Are you really getting married in Disney? No one is going to come." Just because YOU don't want to come doesn't mean that NO ONE is going to come. Arg!! And if that's the kind of attitude you're going to have, do you think we'd even want you there? :confused3

Sorry...just venting. We have gotten feedback from people who are very, very excited to come to our wedding. I'm just letting the naysayers get me down. :headache:

I tell people with weird conceptions that Disney has a beautiful wedding pavilion set up just for weddings, with columns and hardwood pews and a large window overlooking a lake for the ceremony, and that you can even dine in Epcot France or Italy. Try getting YOUR entire wedding party to Italy.

I actually get more of a reaction that a Disney wedding must cost more than a house! People look at me oddly for having spent so much on what they think is a lavish wedding, so I have to explain that I'm not actually a walking bag of money, and Disney is very reasonable. :rotfl: Some of my family came in from out of the country, and apparently someone there started a rumor that I was getting married IN the castle, and that all the characters were going to be in the audience, and we were spending more than a quarter mil all told! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter