How many kids do you have and would you do it again?

I have three daughters ages 23, 20 and 17. #3 was an oops and the only one still at home full time. She is just finishing up her junior year of high school. I would do it again. I was not crazy about the sleepless infant years, but enjoyed them much more once they were sleeping through the night. Now that they are almost all adults I like that there are three.

I have 4 kids and if I had it to do again, I would have stopped at 2. 4 is too many for a myriad of reasons.

Of course that doesn’t mean I don’t adore my kids and love them more than life itself. It’s just a lot.

I have two boys and they are 2.5 years apart. It was a great time frame and a great family size. Ideally I had wanted to have had a third 2 years later, but it didn't happen.

My mom had 3 kids in 3 years and it was probably a bit much. though it was fun as a kid. My dream scenario was 3 kids in 5 years. I didn't start until my 30's and I wanted to be done by 36 or so.

There’s only 3 years and 2 months between the oldest and youngest of our 3 kiddos (2 girls with a boy in between). We were both 28 when our first child was born.
And yes, especially with a special needs son in the mix, it was like tryin’ to heard cats much of the time when they were little…!!!!! 🤣
Definitely worth it though for how they turned out as adults…!!!!! 😊

Last edited:
We have 5 kids, 4 girls and1 boy (the youngest). I love our big family, wouldn’t change it for the world. DH wanted more than 5 though and I had to cut him off after our youngest was born and I finally got my boy lol. Life’s never boring with all these kids (although it is loud, crazy and chaotic) and we always joke that having a bunch of kids increases our chance of having one that’ll take good care of us when we’re older lol.
Out of our 5, #3 is the most likely. Definitely not #1 or #5.

We had two kids. They are 26 and 24 now.
As others have said - life was pretty easy with a family of four - we fit just fine in a car, restaurant booth, hotel room; and, we never felt outnumbered on vacation or at family parties/the park/whatever.

We've wondered what life would have been like with more; but, there are no regrets.

Whatever size family you have, it goes fast... so treasure every moment.

For us we have just 1. The pregnancy was the stuff of nightmares, there's a section in the back of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" that I could check off with some off my complications.

Was she worth it? Absolutely. In a few weeks, my daughter she's graduating high school, then turns 18 in July. It's been amazing watching her grow into such a confident young woman.

She was a sweet baby, just didn't sleep through the night until she was 5 years old. I swear she got all of her shenanigans out before she was born...oh, and when they wheeled me to the NICU to see her, the first thing she did was flip me off.

I have a daughter from my first marriage who is 35.

Then my husband and I have:

Son 26
Daughter 21
Daughter 17

My middle two children have special needs and will always live with me.

My youngest just turned 17 and is graduating early this year.

I wouldn’t change a thing. But at 58 I’m a little tired.

Two. Yes would have two again. I might have had them sooner, we were 29 and 33 when ours were born. Our "plan" was to have them when we were 28 and 30 but that didn't work out.

I have an 18DD, 14DD, and an oopsie DS4. DH was done after our two girls, but God had other plans. I'm 44. If I was 10 years younger, I might have wanted a 4th....Wait, that's a lie. I did natural labor for all 3, but DS was the worst because his head was so big. I remember those contractions, lol. The three I have, I absolutely would do it again.

I have an 18DD, 14DD, and an oopsie DS4. DH was done after our two girls, but God had other plans. I'm 44. If I was 10 years younger, I might have wanted a 4th....Wait, that's a lie. I did natural labor for all 3, but DS was the worst because his head was so big. I remember those contractions, lol. The three I have, I absolutely would do it again.
My youngest was my longest, hardest labor--completely unfair, I'd "done my time" with the first three. In fact, #3 came so quickly, we barely made it to the hospital, and the doctor missed it--she was delivered by 3 nurses and my EMT husband. But, #4 wasn't budging! Now, we joke that he was in there, catching the latest episode of RuPaul (he's a big fan).

We have 4 daughters. 15,19,26,27. I wouldn't trade them for anything! And though there have been many challenges along the way, we have always managed to muddle through and make it work. 2 have autism with medium support needs, so that added to the workload of raising our kids. And when you have 4 kids and extra medical bills, life is really expensive. We do good, but nowhere near as good as others our age, because of the inability to have 2 full time careers with our girls' needs until just a few years ago. But, the years really do fly by! And before you know it, the busyness of multiple young children is behind you. What would I change? I'm not even sure at this point, because I love my family and the relationships we have. If we hadn't been presented with our challenges as parents, siblings, children, would our relationships have flourished as well? All of our children benefited from our dynamics and as they have grown into adults, they are kind, loving, thoughtful, and helpful to us and each other.

I started at 22 with the last one born when right before my 34th bday. I will say I'm kinda burnt out and ready for the next stage of life and sometimes wonder if it would have been better to have them close together. But then I remember that it was much better to have one baby at a time than 2. lol

But truly, no regrets! I have heard the saying that most people never regret the kids they have, only the ones they don't. I believe it. I was open to more after 1 and 2, kinda on the fence, but mostly done after 3, and a hard, full-stop done after #4.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

2 girls - 7 years apart. Would have preferred closer but they are insanely close all through their lives so it was perfect.
Very best friends in the world. From Day One. Now 40 & 47. Talk a million times a day.

I and my sister are only 2 years 4 months apart and never had a real relationship….as children or adults… so age difference means nothing.

My oldest always tells me “be nice to me because you know I’m the one who’s going to take care of you when you’re old” lol and it probably will be her

Also, I hope that kiddo has/will marry well… 😉 🙂
I’m currently the only one at home full time, helping to take care of my terminally ill, invalid 88-year-old MIL.
It’s no problem, as she’s a great lady, very much loved by all, and deserves all we can give her, but ya’ just never know how life will play out.

I have PCOS so needed assistance to start our family and we have one DD (17). We tried for another, but after 6 m/c, i couldn't take it anymore. Sometimes I wonder how our lives would be with 2, but I am very happy to just have 1. We lives in a very expensive part of the country and we wouldn't be able to afford our lifestyle with 2 kids. DD has told us how happy she is to be an only child as most of her friends have siblings and she finds the majority of them "so annoying".

We also have zero. I was an only child and sometimes I wish we had kids but then we probably would not have been able to be as active in the groups we are in and travel the times we want instead of working around a school and camp schedule. We do have a rescue dog and we always have to make sure if we go on a day trip to be back in 8 hours and trying to plan around her is enough for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter