Help! I've lost my Disney Magic!

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Maybe they'll have something kind to say to smooth that over. That's just so unnecessary and rude, I can't believe a CM would say that. Aloud. To other guests.[

Yes this goes beyond the pale. We encountered some unbelievably rude drivers on a recent trip, who could qualify for a jerk of the year award :mad: Shouldn't be too surprised though--people turn into another species besides human when they get behind the wheel of a car...:rolleyes1 A Disney CM acting like that however, is just insane. Gotta wonder what was wrong with him :rolleyes2

I think a lot of groups and families don't have your attitude. I know that my wife's family has this weird expectation that everybody will do the same thing all the time and never separate. Which means somebody is having a bad time, all the time. It's stupid and stressful.

Yup. My mother is like this out of sentiment. And my father's sisters are like this but mostly just so they can hang up on everyone else as they like drama. My father doesn't actually like vacations in which he has to do stuff, but he doesn't like to stay home alone. And then (most of the issue) is that half are extreme cheapskates and half are hotel snobs yet both sides think everyone should stay in the same hotel for "convenience".

And then 3/4 of that lot don't want to do any planning at all yet they're the ones that will blame the planners the minute something goes wrong. I am a planner so that's my gripe.

That's my family. Not fun on anything more intense than a beach or lake trip. Disney can be hit and miss. I haven't been with that lot to WDW and I'm not inclined to go because of the ADRs and fast pass. But DL and other amusement parks work, provided that the weather is tolerable and the crowds are low.

However, I think in the case of the vast majority of people who have those Wdw meltdowns- they may be extended families who literally would never consider traveling together anywhere else. Maybe one family planned it and the grandparents, siblings, inlaws all invited themselves along "for the kids". Or maybe they planned it putting the frequent travelers in charge and the infrequent travelers just think "why do we need to plan, it's a kid theme park". Or maybe the infrequent travelers said "got this" and screwed up the planning royally and the frequent travelers are ticked. I know people that don't travel much at all. I mean, they go hunting and fishing but that's it. They don't feel the need to do so except for two locales: Disney and Vegas!

What I see here a lot tbh is either an OP who went with realistic expectations but a group that did not have realistic expectations of an Op who had done the parks before and when planning, had failed to take into account the needs of a larger group. Expecting grandma, grandpa, and the sil with the 6 month old baby to travel at the same speed as two healthy parents and teen boys is not realistic and they fail to take that into account when planning.

Chances are 9/10, those Ops saw that hot mess coming. I have before every single trip. But no one wants to be the person who says to their sibling or parent- sorry, you can't come, I just can't take the stress of traveling with you! Or in my mother's case they have selective amnesia and are mildly delusional. Which I've got to admit, works out well for mom.

There was absolutely no excuse for the CM that rolled his eyes and made a derogatory comment to another guest about you. The fact that it was your parents made it even worse. I usually try to cut the less than stellar CMs some slack. It's hot, it's crowded, and who knows how many rude, obnoxious, unreasonable guests have yelled at them for things they really can't control. I've been in their situation and know I don't always handle it as well as I should. When I've gotten exceptional service from a CM, I try to let the manager know right away because I tend to forget things. :) They are usually pretty shocked when I compliment a CM rather than complain.

I'm sorry the trip was so disappointing and I hope you get the Disney magic back someday. As others have said, give it time, and if it never comes back, it's okay. Something else fun and enjoyable will come along.
Wonder why the CM assumed the parents weren't with the OP, before he opened his big mouth. One time I was with my Dsis at a department store, we were in line to pay for our stuff--each paying for our own thing so I was behind her in line. After my Dsis was done she walked off away from the register (backstory--she had complained to the employees ringing her up that they waited on a person first who just walked up in front of my sister). Anyway, after DSis was done with her transaction and walked away, the employees were saying things about her in front of me. When I was done, I said thanks, I better go catch up with my sister, you know the one you were just talking about ;)

I don't have to worry about being in a large group at Disney. Most of those I know or are related to would never spend that kind of $$$$ to go there :laughing:

Last edited:

It's tough, but for me, it has always come down to expectations. I've gone on some short trips with toddlers recently and I just know I won't be able to go on some rides.

But dealing with rude CMs? That is hard to swallow and set expectations for.

Yep, this is the case for several of my family members :drinking1
Yes, absolutely, I do understand that. I would like an adult beverage as well.

But Tinkerbell is NOT gonna zoom a giant plastic glass to your ride vehicle WHILE it's moving around in the PeopleMover. Seriously. "Can" your opinion until we ride the ride and then we will walk to where the beer is. ;)

My family members were somehow hoping that something very similar to the Tinkerbell moment I just described was going to happen for them. And I just laughed, after 7 previous days of being just as Special as any other family of the 20k who came to WDW that day, I was not expecting that kind of Pixie Dust!

Besides... that would be an absolute way to jam up Tomorrowland with thousands of visitors... turn the PeopleMover into a mobile bar... fill up with RFID cup chips at the loading zone, stay on the PeopleMover for hours... ;)

Yes, absolutely, I do understand that. I would like an adult beverage as well.

But Tinkerbell is NOT gonna zoom a giant plastic glass to your ride vehicle WHILE it's moving around in the PeopleMover. Seriously. "Can" your opinion until we ride the ride and then we will walk to where the beer is. ;)

My family members were somehow hoping that something very similar to the Tinkerbell moment I just described was going to happen for them. And I just laughed, after 7 previous days of being just as Special as any other family of the 20k who came to WDW that day, I was not expecting that kind of Pixie Dust!

Besides... that would be an absolute way to jam up Tomorrowland with thousands of visitors... turn the PeopleMover into a mobile bar... fill up with RFID cup chips at the loading zone, stay on the PeopleMover for hours... ;)
:lmao:

In 2014 DH and I had a rough trip at Disney and I felt like it lost its magic. It was our delayed honeymoon trip and our first time there around Christmas together so I had set the bar high (especially since our last trip was our engagement trip and the GREATEST VACATION EVER). A previous poster mentioned it comes down to your expectations and since then we have learned to prepare for the unexpected. We dealt with rude CM's, rain, rain, and more rain that trip. MVMCP was the big reason for that trip and we missed the fireworks because they were on a rain delay and started up while the rain was still going and we were camped inside, freezing and soaked. They cancelled the MVMCP parade and that's when I lost it and started crying like a little girl. There are actually some VERY funny pictures of me pouting on Space Mountain after my breakdown. This trip was supposed to be "magical" and it was far from it. We said we'd take a break after that year. However, you seem to forget the bad once you get home and only remember the good. 2015 was a tough year for me so we scheduled a Disney trip to get some of that "magic" and with expectations set appropriately, we have had better trips since. We still always say we need a break, but somehow keep finding ourselves back here. It feels like a second home to us at this point.

I think a lot of groups and families don't have your attitude. I know that my wife's family has this weird expectation that everybody will do the same thing all the time and never separate. Which means somebody is having a bad time, all the time. It's stupid and stressful.
Have been on SO many trips with other people's family and seen that. I'm glad that it's not QUITE the same with my in-laws (my parents don't care at all about staying close), but I do know how it become pretty suffocating. Big groups have a hard time maneuvering in Disney World! Sometimes you just gotta break it up and have a good time.

I found that the optimal number of people to have in any one group is 4, so that you can stand in a square of sorts while standing in line and be able to chat. Any more and it feels like eating dinner with your family while sitting at the bar. "WHAT DID YOU SAY DOWN THERE? SPEAK UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU"

I have the opposite experience, where if I have a bad trip to Disney I immediately want to go back to rectify it and try again for that "Disney Magic" that I missed out on, and I've had a handful of bad Disney trips and experiences. A lot of those were purely due to personal problems, though I've definitely had problems with CMs too and they can really ruin things - Once on PotC too actually (a CM told my husband and I we were stupid for wearing Cinderella & Little Mermaid shirts), though we figured the CMs there are instructed to be rude so they're more "Pirate" like. Now though, two years since my last trip to Disney World, I can feel the magic dying, and this time I'm not sure why. I guess I don't see it as worth my time any longer, even though I know new things are opening semi-regularly, but none of these new things really seem that interesting or exciting to me. This is actually the first time...probably ever...where my husband wants to go to Disney World and I've actually said "Eh, let's go somewhere else." Currently I'm planning a huge trip for the 50th anniversary celebration, which I'm hoping coincides with my birthday that year (though it probably won't), but I'm okay with that being my next trip and right now I'm even considering putting all of that money aside for a birthday trip somewhere else.

What I'm doing instead is considering what I enjoy about Disney, and finding that elsewhere. I enjoy the nostalgia for a time I wasn't even alive for, so I watch older Disney movies like Snow White or Pinocchio. I enjoy the excitement of the theme park, so we're going to try to go to the theme parks near us this summer that we usually pass on. I enjoy the Floridian/sub-tropical/tropical environment, so we're considering vacations to the Caribbean or other spots in Florida. And, when I do feel the urge for a specifically Disney Vacation (which is still a regular desire), it's not for Disney World anymore - I'm finding myself on the Disneyland, Disney Paris, or Disney Beach Resort websites a lot more now. It's taken me a long time to realize I can even enjoy things that Disney doesn't sponsor because everything I loved had a huge Mickey stamped on it for years, so it's been very interesting to try to find new things to do and exciting to broaden my scope beyond the most magical place on earth. I hope that is something everyone can do, because while I love Disney, I think it's even more magical when it's not your everything.

I have the opposite experience, where if I have a bad trip to Disney I immediately want to go back to rectify it and try again for that "Disney Magic" that I missed out on, and I've had a handful of bad Disney trips and experiences. A lot of those were purely due to personal problems, though I've definitely had problems with CMs too and they can really ruin things - Once on PotC too actually (a CM told my husband and I we were stupid for wearing Cinderella & Little Mermaid shirts), though we figured the CMs there are instructed to be rude so they're more "Pirate" like. Now though, two years since my last trip to Disney World, I can feel the magic dying, and this time I'm not sure why. I guess I don't see it as worth my time any longer, even though I know new things are opening semi-regularly, but none of these new things really seem that interesting or exciting to me. This is actually the first time...probably ever...where my husband wants to go to Disney World and I've actually said "Eh, let's go somewhere else." Currently I'm planning a huge trip for the 50th anniversary celebration, which I'm hoping coincides with my birthday that year (though it probably won't), but I'm okay with that being my next trip and right now I'm even considering putting all of that money aside for a birthday trip somewhere else.

What I'm doing instead is considering what I enjoy about Disney, and finding that elsewhere. I enjoy the nostalgia for a time I wasn't even alive for, so I watch older Disney movies like Snow White or Pinocchio. I enjoy the excitement of the theme park, so we're going to try to go to the theme parks near us this summer that we usually pass on. I enjoy the Floridian/sub-tropical/tropical environment, so we're considering vacations to the Caribbean or other spots in Florida. And, when I do feel the urge for a specifically Disney Vacation (which is still a regular desire), it's not for Disney World anymore - I'm finding myself on the Disneyland, Disney Paris, or Disney Beach Resort websites a lot more now. It's taken me a long time to realize I can even enjoy things that Disney doesn't sponsor because everything I loved had a huge Mickey stamped on it for years, so it's been very interesting to try to find new things to do and exciting to broaden my scope beyond the most magical place on earth. I hope that is something everyone can do, because while I love Disney, I think it's even more magical when it's not your everything.
Do some people really only travel to Disney properties? I'm new to all of this so that surprises me.

I would be very interested in a list of similar places, but I don't think the reasons I like it would really be replicated elsewhere for the most part. I don't like theme parks or crowds or even rollercoasters. :) You should look into documenting your travels though-I'm sure it would be a topic of interest to many people in your shoes!

Do some people really only travel to Disney properties? I'm new to all of this so that surprises me.

I would be very interested in a list of similar places, but I don't think the reasons I like it would really be replicated elsewhere for the most part. I don't like theme parks or crowds or even rollercoasters. :) You should look into documenting your travels though-I'm sure it would be a topic of interest to many people in your shoes!

I don't know about others, but I definitely did for a long time - the booking process is so easy and I always knew what I was getting, which I don't feel is a guarantee going anywhere else. We went to Curacao last June for our Honeymoon, which was a perfect example of why I always went to Disney; booking was somewhat complicated, and then when we got there we found that tourist season didn't start for three more months, so very few things were open. None of the reviews we read had that thought though, so we didn't know until the locals told us people don't start showing up until late summer. We probably should have used a travel agent, but neither of us particularly like working with agents of any kind.

Despite this though, it also exemplified why traveling outside of the Disney company was so exciting and fresh for us. We didn't feel any pressure to go out and do as much as we can, we didn't have to deal with crowds or tired CMs (though we did notice Curacao does not have a high opinion of Americans), we got to actually relax! I enjoy the fun of Disney World, but I've never really considered it relaxing. We wouldn't go back to Curacao for a full vacation, but we've started considering cruises (which we've decided would not be through Disney unless we're going with children, which we do not have yet) and we'd like to stop in Curacao for a day on a cruise.

Since you don't like theme parks, crowds, or roller-coasters, why do you like going to Disney World? Have you considered going to one of Disney's non theme-park resorts, like the Hilton Head, Vero Beach, or Aulani?

It seems like a lot of people have issues when travelling with big groups. Why is this ? Are you just reluctant to discuss your expectations and preferences before you go ? We travel with rather large groups quite often - usually we'll start with 15 of us between my family and my two sisters' families, and then add various additional people each year (family friends and their families, my dad, my mother-in-law, my Aunt & Uncle). We've had up to 26 people on a trip, and we usually stay for 10 to 14 days, often renting a few houses off property together - so we're all around each other all the time. We've never had a single issue where a trip was "ruined", because everyone who goes is very up front and honest, and they all make sure their plans do all the things they want to do during a summer vacation. We get together a year before the trip, have a big "planning party" where we usually have everyone fill out a survey ranking their favorite parks, rides, and places to eat - then we plan out what "the group" is going to do. Every family has different things they want to do and yes - when you spend that much time together in the hot Florida sun, people are going to annoy each other ... so the basic rule is, if you don't want to do what the group is doing .... don't ! Just go do your own thing and meet up whenever we have the next ADR or FP. Honestly, you have to take responsibility for your own enjoyment (and your own family's enjoyment), else you're just going to end up getting annoyed and resenting other people.

For instance, I loved the advent of Magic Bands and FP+, because the one thing that used to annoy me was having to wait for everyone to get into a park, so we could collect tickets and go run and get Fast Passes. Now if people don't want to do rope drop, no big deal - we'll meet you outside of our first ride at noon.

We also do an "adults only" Food & Wine every few years, which is nice as it lets the adults relax and just hang out instead of feeling like every trip is just one big forced march.

It sounds like you do everything right, and I don't think most people do! The planning party is an excellent idea!! The flexibility to opt out of anything is super important, too!

I also think that the fact that you stay 10-14 days probably helps. - People are much more relaxed when they're not trying to cram everything into a few days.

I will say, I won't travel with extended family anywhere. DH is usually lucky I travel with him. (I joke, sort of) Even bringing DD (adult) often ruins my trips to Disney. So we only bring her along every couple of years. She's just not fun to travel with. We have great fun with DGD though, we bring her once a year, the rest of our trips are just DH and I. They are really my favorite trips

This, exactly. We also had a few non-stellar trips where there were too many families with us, and families related to us! We stopped that and went just the 4 of us. It put some people's noses out of joint, but we always have a great time by ourselves, with no one else to worry about, etc. Maybe next trip, only go the three of you, and focus on your child's limits. As he/she grows, the experience will change, too. Thinking about our kids, we have gone from trying to find the Beast for photos, to finding a particular beer that our son likes to drink now! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter