Help! I've lost my Disney Magic!

We got tired of Disney and took a three year break. Disney is stressful, especially with lots of family members. One way to get it back is to take a couples only trip. It is a lot less stressful. :)

Last year we went with a group of 13 family members and I was 100% in charge of planning. We had a great time, but it was stressful for me.
This year just DH and I are going. It's going to be a totally different trip and I can't wait!!

So funny cuz our last trip was also our worst trip. Lots of different things (most not Disney related - more who we were with) but that trip also made me not want to talk about Disney or plan another trip. I've had a few things in previous trips that may have been upsetting but nothing ruined my magic like this last trip. I just hope it will pass. And remind myself 'at least u weren't at work!' Fingers crossed cuz I kind of have to go again no matter what so that THIS was not my last experience.

I agree with the others who have said that there's nothing wrong with taking a break. There are tons of places to see in the world, and so many of them cost the same or less than Disney! We've tried to alternate our Disney trips with other, more relaxed (mostly beach) trips, I find that it kind of keeps things balanced.

I also think part of your frustration may come from having made your previous trips as a couple of solo adults, who apparently stayed onsite at WDW on prior trips, to now having a baby and 4 older adults with you and staying offsite. That's a large number of huge differences in your trip vs your prior trips. The adjustment in expectations needed from A to B, is an enormous one--from 2 people to 7, onsite to offsite, having only 20/30/40- something aged travelers who are already sort of in snyc from being a married couple, to adding a small baby and a bunch of older folks who aren't part of the same nuclear family. I only mention this because, after doing several adult-only trips with DH over the years, our first multi-generational trip with ages from kindergarten to late 60s, was a whole 'nother thing, and required a major reset of my expectations in order to enjoy it.

I'm sorry that you didn't have the experience you hoped for, OP. In our case, (Disney) absence really does make the heart grow fonder, and hopefully you'll find the same after some time.

I think that's why I'm still upset over this, HM, PotC, EE, F&G and Soarin' were all on my must do list and I missed them all (except PotC, which I didn't enjoy).

The screw ups by CMs are what blew me away and the complete lack of recovery. It's the polar opposite experience of what we've had in the past.

Planning with a large family when not everyone can ride the attractions you want is difficult. In the future, leave your DD with the grandparents and you and DH can ride.

I think that's why I'm still upset over this, HM, PotC, EE, F&G and Soarin' were all on my must do list and I missed them all (except PotC, which I didn't enjoy).

The screw ups by CMs are what blew me away and the complete lack of recovery. It's the polar opposite experience of what we've had in the past.

If you go back always make sure you plan your must dos in a way that you have a 2nd or 3rd chance to ride even if that means the same day. Anything can happen and rides are going down all the time.

Example for planning my trip. Splash Mountain is a big must do for us. My teenager doesn't like to ride any coasters. But she's loves splash. It is the one ride that makes her feel brave. It is "suppose" to reopen about a week before we get there. To be safe I will book FPs on two different days one being the last day of our trip early in day.

It's unfortunate but we almost have to try to plan for these occurrences and then still go with the flow and get over it if our favs are closed.

Regarding taking family along, I just want to say that both my wife and I's parents were great. We never had issues getting along or anything like that. As a matter of fact they could all tell I wasn't having a magical time and they all tried their best but I was so hyped about doing certain things on the trip that nothing could of fixed it other than turning back the clock.

I probably hyped myself too much and set my expectations too high. Stressed myself out over the trip and ended up taking the little things to heart. Some CM behaviour was completely unacceptable but I should have let it go.

I didn't find I had any magical moments connecting with CMs or other guests like I always have, probably because I was too stressed to let them happen.

Thanks again everyone, it feels good to talk about it and get feedback. I think I needed to get it out. It's hard to talk about this with family because I don't want them feeling bad about my vacation. Friends and co-workers just think I'm weird because of my Disney obsession.

Wow, it sounds like the perfect storm of Disney Disappointments. My family did this about 5 years ago. By the time we arrived I think that we had magnified our expectations so much, and when that combined with a few less than magical encounters and experiences, we left with buyers remorse. I know now how the snowballl effect happened, but as it happened nad after we got home, that did not help how I felt.

I'm ESL so I never really experienced Disney movies until I was older, I have a stronger connection to some new-ish ones but I will take your advice and stick to the movies that resonate with me the most. :)

Why not try them again? Some of my best memories now are watching the classics over and over again with my granddaughter. I admit, that until my routine included watching a movie with her before bedtime so my DD and DSIL could get a few of their own things done, the only Princess I knew was Cinderella. I could not remember any of the others.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the thread.

Disney is EXPENSIVE. I wish our one trip satisfied me to the point of being done, but it didn't. And now I'm left trying to figure out where I'm going to conjure up the thousands of dollars to return.

I'd love to be done with Disney, to be honest. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Expensive? Yup. I really was not as aware of how expensive a Disney trip was in comparison to other vacation destinations until I booked our 5th anniversary trip to Aruba. We booked the top of the line suite, with a connecting room and another full ocean view deluxe room so we had room for 9 people, for far less than it costs for 5 of us to stay deluxe in Disney. I think that the only thing I need to remove from the comparison in order to compare apples to apples is park tix, but then I add in food and alcohol and we are still traveling for much less money.

Wow! I don't doubt what you are saying but I have been going to WDW for years over 25 times and I don't think I have had that many problemsin all those visits let alone all of them happening in one visit. You better check that black cloud hanging over your head!! But really its too bad you had such a bad experience, that is definitely not normal, at least in my experience.

It is not normal, and that tells me there was something else going on. I had one trip that had multiple CM issues, but they all occured at the resort. It was clear to me that the resort was short staffed and by the end of the trip issues that would have rolled off of me were just renting space in my mind. Disney is my family favorite destination and we travel often, so even looking back, I know that the experience was an anomaly, but it was very real.

OP- I am not sure what was happening behind the scenes, but I bet that the negative CM experiences you had hinged on short staffing. Whatever the cause, I think that a discussion with guest relations should take place. Everyone is entitled to have a bad day, and I think that Disney CM's should not be held to a standard that includes always being perfect. With that said, when multiple CM's are having a bad day throughout a trip, I wonder what is happening that impacts their mood and performance. We all know that for a while now Disney has been cutting staffing, and I believe that can be a part of the issue. The snowball effect of any problem is magnified when people are overworked to begin with, so if some folks call out adding to more responsibility , or others are left without proper support, a bad day turns ugly.

I know that as a guest, I always follow up my trip with a letter to guest relations to let them know how individual CM's made our trip special, and any events that impacted us as a family. Only one time have I felt the need to have a discussion about negative experiences, and while some would think that no one listens, I disagree. In December I traveled back to the resort we were so disappointed in and the difference was noticeable. FOr years my job was observation, not only observing and evaluating individual performance but what was occurring around that individual. I felt strongly that since I had taken the time to share the deficits of that first experience, I should take the time to share the positive from the subsequent one. Much of the problems I noticed from teh first were gone, and I think that while my feedback may not have been the impetus to make changes, I do think that conversations from people like me who were impacted made a difference.

I hope that you share any response you get with us.

Why not try them again? Some of my best memories now are watching the classics over and over again with my granddaughter. I admit, that until my routine included watching a movie with her before bedtime so my DD and DSIL could get a few of their own things done, the only Princess I knew was Cinderella. I could not remember any of the others.

{...}

I hope that you share any response you get with us.

I'm sorry, I think my previous comment was not 100% clear. The 'classics' don't hold much meaning for me because I didn't understand English until I was a teenager. I didn't watch Disney as a child. I've gone back and watched most of them but they don't resonate with me as much as some of the more modern films that came out after I learned English. I will take the advice of rewatching some of the films but instead of 'classics' I'll watch my personal favourites.

I did write to Guest Relations and when they respond I will share their response. I am still not sure what I'm looking for from them, but a few kind words coming from a real person (not a canned response) would go a long way.

Customer Service is certainly tricky, and Disney is normally excellent. There will always be slip ups. You earn 'credit' by doing so many things great, that a slip along the way is excused. Disney will normally go above & beyond on the slips. It certainly seems that this trip, there were more slips than great moments. Unfortunate for sure, but you also need to let Guest Services or a manager know about this to allow them to recover.

I wonder if part of this is the college program. I was fortunate to experience Disneyland last SEP due to a biz trip in the area. They definitely have more experience CMs. This is a spot where WDW is just saving money by having cheap labor. Many of the college kids will not be vested into the Disney magic. On our trip in May, I ran across a number of them that were in fact excellent, but I can see how this could be an issue.

DH and I own DVC and do not have children. So that means we take my parents and my MIL in alternating years. DH and I try to do one trip alone then one with family. All family members have been several times with us. Last Oct we made a trip with MIL and BIL ( DH's brother) and there were two instances where I could have screamed at both of them. I have good memories of that trip, but bad memories well up when I look back at that trip. This past May we took my parents. That trip was different because my Mom was in a wheelchair for the first time. As a nurse I knew what to expect from taking someone with disabilities. We had a fabulous time but coming home I realized I didn't have a relaxed vacation. That was certainly ok. My mom and Dad had a terrific time and enjoyed new experiences. I was simply tired. I helped my Dad push Mom around as did DH. But DH got sick and missed a couple of days with us at the parks. Mom could not manage a ECV due to her poor manual dexterity. I knew this going in. I figured I would be tired. I was realistic with our expectations. I still couldn't really relax. I did my best. We all did our best on both trips.

Mom and Dad learned from that trip and head to Europe for a month with my brother and his family in July. My brother is a nurse. My parents have Xanax...I am hoping for the best. My Dad keeps narrowing my brother in on his expectations for this trip. Before the trip I will remind him that it isn't about what or how much they do it will be about seeing new places together and just enjoying the moments.

DH and I return to WDW in December...alone. Ahhhhh...to eat or not to eat...to sleep in or not to sleep in....to go to park or skip it. 9 nights of heaven. But that is what my Disney is to me. That is what DVC allows me to do. I return for a semi-solo trip with DH to really relax. For some reason I am holding off on next May and am thinking after December we will wait until fall of 2018. I think we will need that break. Not too short and not too long.

Sounds like you need to take a break. There are so many other places to vacation. Get out in the woods. Go to the ocean. Heck, go to Universal Studios if you crave a theme park.

I'm sorry, I think my previous comment was not 100% clear. The 'classics' don't hold much meaning for me because I didn't understand English until I was a teenager. I didn't watch Disney as a child. I've gone back and watched most of them but they don't resonate with me as much as some of the more modern films that came out after I learned English. I will take the advice of rewatching some of the films but instead of 'classics' I'll watch my personal favourites.

I did write to Guest Relations and when they respond I will share their response. I am still not sure what I'm looking for from them, but a few kind words coming from a real person (not a canned response) would go a long way.

Oh, you were clear, I perhaps just looked at a remedy differently. AS a kid we watched Wonderful World of Disney on TV, but really did not get to see the classics on that show either. I was only very familiar with the newer shows as my own kids grew up. WHen my DGD came along we started watching the oldie but goodies, and that is when I developed such a fondness for the classics. I just thought that sometimes watching through fresh eyes can make a difference.

As to your complaint, I hope they call you. You really had an assortment of problems, and while you may had over hyped your stay befor you went, as I did, you knwo the difference between unrealistic expectations and unacceptable behavior.

I have lost the magic with MK! It's just always way too crowded and too many cranky people- both guests and CMs. When it's hot the crankiness rises. I still love the resorts, Epcot and AK, so I try to focus our trips on those things.

This. I've been to Disney World over 25 times and I've never had poor customer service at Hollywood Studios, Epcot or Animal Kingdom. But I've had a few "you've got to be kidding me" moments in Magic Kingdom. And some of those moments were in cool, nice weather with "low" crowds. No excuses for abysmal cast members.

Magic Kingdom is my least favorite resort. I wish I could skip it but the kids have a few must do's there.

This is why I'm excited about staying at an Epcot resort again; even the MK resorts stress me out because they're always packed full of guests and visitors.

As far as extended family, I just had a family member who invited themselves along with their family and they've been driving me crazy. We were first booked at Yacht Club club level but they wanted to switch over to the Polynesian. I'm not a fan of the dark decor over there, but okay fine.

Then they weren't sure if they were coming at all :headache: so my family and I switched over to Beach Club club level and that's where we're staying put. Fast forward the next day and this family member had the nerve to tell me they're going "seriously this time" :rolleyes2 but they were upset that now they HAVE to stay at BC because they want their children to room close to mine. I told them they could stay anywhere they wanted, they didn't have to room next to us (in fact I believe there is vacancy on Mars) and no we were not changing hotels.

The trip hasn't even begun and I'm already sick of them. I let them know we WILL be splitting up during the trip at some points. Yeesh. :sad2:

Long story short...just don't vacation with family and don't let cast members get away with being nasty.

This. I've been to Disney World over 25 times and I've never had poor customer service at Hollywood Studios, Epcot or Animal Kingdom. But I've had a few "you've got to be kidding me" moments in Magic Kingdom. And some of those moments were in cool, nice weather with "low" crowds. No excuses for abysmal cast members.

Magic Kingdom is my least favorite resort. I wish I could skip it but the kids have a few must do's there.

This is why I'm excited about staying at an Epcot resort again; even the MK resorts stress me out because they're always packed full of guests and visitors.

As far as extended family, I just had a family member who invited themselves along with their family and they've been driving me crazy. We were first booked at Yacht Club club level but they wanted to switch over to the Polynesian. I'm not a fan of the dark decor over there, but okay fine.

Then they weren't sure if they were coming at all :headache: so my family and I switched over to Beach Club club level and that's where we're staying put. Fast forward the next day and this family member had the nerve to tell me they're going "seriously this time" :rolleyes2 but they were upset that now they HAVE to stay at BC because they want their children to room close to mine. I told them they could stay anywhere they wanted, they didn't have to room next to us (in fact I believe there is vacancy on Mars) and no we were not changing hotels.

The trip hasn't even begun and I'm already sick of them. I let them know we WILL be splitting up during the trip at some points. Yeesh. :sad2:

Long story short...just don't vacation with family and don't let cast members get away with being nasty.

Oh my gosh, we had a trip like that. My first husbands sister joined us on our very first trip back once our DGD was here. She was a WDW vet and had her own ideas of how we should travel, but this was not her trip. We deferred to my DD and where she wanted to stay with her family. We also wanted CL becuase it was my DH first vacation in 11 years, and we wanted the DDP. She invited herself along, and while we had no problems with taking her suggestions into consideration, staying offsite was not one of them we woudl go along with. Changing dates, resorts, etc? No. Courtesy towards my DD and DSIL if they wanted to go somewhere with their DD without the rest of us was not okay with her, and planning down to the last second was not okay with us.

I had a mutiny on my hands when she tried to invite herself again.

Oh my gosh, we had a trip like that. My first husbands sister joined us on our very first trip back once our DGD was here. She was a WDW vet and had her own ideas of how we should travel, but this was not her trip. We deferred to my DD and where she wanted to stay with her family. We also wanted CL becuase it was my DH first vacation in 11 years, and we wanted the DDP. She invited herself along, and while we had no problems with taking her suggestions into consideration, staying offsite was not one of them we woudl go along with. Changing dates, resorts, etc? No. Courtesy towards my DD and DSIL if they wanted to go somewhere with their DD without the rest of us was not okay with her, and planning down to the last second was not okay with us.

I had a mutiny on my hands when she tried to invite herself again.

This is why when we go and other wish to join we either pay for everyone and make all the plans or pay for none and let them make the plans. Trust me that rule works.

I can relate to what you're saying here. The MK resorts are crazy, particularly BLT/CR. We went there the first night and the place was absolutely nuts! The CR elevators are a joke. People were fighting to get on them. One person got hit by one of those double strollers and one jerk at the last minute cut off a disabled person in a wheelchair, mind you, to get into the elevator. I eventually walked away and used the escalator.

We did stay at WL and that was such a relaxing resort. I'm so glad I didn't decide to stay at BLT. WL is not on the monorail but it was so nice to get away from all that craziness and we loved taking the boat. Those moments of relaxation really took the edge off. MK is turning into my least favorite as it brings the worst out in people. Had a couple of stressful days there last year. I did what I wanted to do and got the hell out.

By the third day we did EPCOT, it was night and day. What a difference in the guest experience! People were more laid back and just chilling the night we did Illuminations. We also stayed at the BWV the second half of the trip and it was wonderful to walk over to EPCOT & DHS or take the boat. DHS was also a surprise as Disney had it decorated last December with these vintage tinsel decorations. That was a really nice touch and I loved just walking around and talking pictures and walking the streets. I just found that most of time away from MK was the most enjoyable and memorable. Kind of sad really. In fact the most memorable experience at MK was the Flag Retreat honoring veterans on the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day. That was special.

15673066_1372616332749903_390848222408701488_n.jpg
15400399_1355585524452984_6898372664251445743_n.jpg
15439981_1355585504452986_7554707713902091055_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter