Help! I've lost my Disney Magic!

I can relate to what you're saying here. The MK resorts are crazy, particularly BLT/CR. We went there the first night and the place was absolutely nuts! The CR elevators are a joke. People were fighting to get on them. One person got hit by one of those double strollers and one jerk at the last minute cut off a disabled person in a wheelchair, mind you, to get into the elevator. I eventually walked away and used the escalator.

We did stay at WL and that was such a relaxing resort. I'm so glad I didn't decide to stay at BLT. WL is not on the monorail but it was so nice to get away from all that craziness and we loved taking the boat. Those moments of relaxation really took the edge off. MK is turning into my least favorite as it brings the worst out in people. Had a couple of stressful days there last year. I did what I wanted to do and got the hell out.

By the third day we did EPCOT, it was night and day. What a difference in the guest experience! People were more laid back and just chilling the night we did Illuminations. We also stayed at the BWV the second half of the trip and it was wonderful to walk over to EPCOT & DHS or take the boat. DHS was also a surprise as Disney had it decorated last December with these vintage tinsel decorations. That was a really nice touch and I loved just walking around and talking pictures and walking the streets. I just found that most of time away from MK was the most enjoyable and memorable. Kind of sad really. In fact the most memorable experience at MK was the Flag Retreat honoring veterans on the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day. That was special.

15673066_1372616332749903_390848222408701488_n.jpg
15400399_1355585524452984_6898372664251445743_n.jpg
15439981_1355585504452986_7554707713902091055_n.jpg

Oh those are such nice pictures. I love the decorations.

I always wondered if there were more people out there that weren't big fans of Magic Kingdom. :duck: I felt alone because most people rave over the resorts and the park. I love 'Ohana but the Polynesian is always packed (especially that particular area at night) and a guy ran over my foot with his double wide industrial strength stroller while we were waiting for the monorail to leave. He just had to be first in line.

DHS is a hidden gem despite the critiques. Yes, Epcot is so calm. I wish all of the parks could be like Epcot (AK is close but I haven't been since Pandora opened so I'll see what that's like soon). I think it's because Epcot is "boring" in comparison to MK for kids and tweens. And that's fine with me. :rolleyes1

Oh those are such nice pictures. I love the decorations.

I always wondered if there were more people out there that weren't big fans of Magic Kingdom. :duck: I felt alone because most people rave over the resorts and the park. I love 'Ohana but the Polynesian is always packed (especially that particular area at night) and a guy ran over my foot with his double wide industrial strength stroller while we were waiting for the monorail to leave. He just had to be first in line.

DHS is a hidden gem despite the critiques. Yes, Epcot is so calm. I wish all of the parks could be like Epcot (AK is close but I haven't been since Pandora opened so I'll see what that's like soon). I think it's because Epcot is "boring" in comparison to MK for kids and tweens. And that's fine with me. :rolleyes1

Aren't they great! We had such great evening! They also had snow and it was better than MK. Lots of it! I'm really going to miss those decorations at DHS this year.

I don't know what I would have done if it wasn't for EPCOT & DHS. I also would have loved for AK to be open later. That was disappointing so hoping it will change because of Pandora as the hours posted now aren't great (7:00 PM) for our October trip.

We've had a couple of doozies too but I don't believe I ever considered leaving early. I have to say though, the only time I wish it would end quickly was one trip I took with my mother. Little did I know at the time, most of it was probably because of her oncoming Alzheimer's. Oh how I wish, knowing what I know now, that I could do it over again.

We've had a couple of doozies too but I don't believe I ever considered leaving early. I have to say though, the only time I wish it would end quickly was one trip I took with my mother. Little did I know at the time, most of it was probably because of her oncoming Alzheimer's. Oh how I wish, knowing what I know now, that I could do it over again.

That can definitely sideswipe you. I travelled a lot with my grandmother when she was in the earlier stages of dementia, because I understood how it was affecting her and I adjusted my expectations accordingly. We had a few awesome trips once I figured that out, but at the same time, the others had really terrible trips or experiences with her because the whole thing just got to them, and she became the stressor. And she was definitely crazier to deal with then than during my teen years which had us constantly fighting because I took everything so seriously. The difference was my approach, but if you don't have the facts, you can't alter your methods. So hugs- I get how you feel. It's tough.

After those trips and a few trips with various friends, I think it's all about expectations. A lot of the "terrible trip" threads I see here are because they went to the parks with a large group of various ages and every single one of those people had different expectations from the OP. Yet none of them were willing to plan beforehand. Ugh. No more big family trips for me.

That can definitely sideswipe you. I travelled a lot with my grandmother when she was in the earlier stages of dementia, because I understood how it was affecting her and I adjusted my expectations accordingly. We had a few awesome trips once I figured that out, but at the same time, the others had really terrible trips or experiences with her because the whole thing just got to them, and she became the stressor. And she was definitely crazier to deal with then than during my teen years which had us constantly fighting because I took everything so seriously. The difference was my approach, but if you don't have the facts, you can't alter your methods. So hugs- I get how you feel. It's tough.

After those trips and a few trips with various friends, I think it's all about expectations. A lot of the "terrible trip" threads I see here are because they went to the parks with a large group of various ages and every single one of those people had different expectations from the OP. Yet none of them were willing to plan beforehand. Ugh. No more big family trips for me.
:thanks::hug:

I told them they could stay anywhere they wanted, they didn't have to room next to us (in fact I believe there is vacancy on Mars) and no we were not changing hotels.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
2014 DH and I were down for business, then Dh dad and stepmom brought the kids and stayed for a couple days (we were all offsite-we have timeshares that make it far cheaper to stay offsite mostly). Now this is the MiL that I don't normally don't get along with well. Her only request was to do AK and DHS. Well one or the other was a most 'not recommended" park on either day. Stressed me out beforehand but turned out to not be a big deal at all. I kinda went in with "it is only 2 days with them then we have 4 more days". We split up, came together for FP and meals, toured together, then split up again-turned out to be a really great trip. My son still talks about taking grandma on Star tours 4 x in a row (they both LOVE that ride), my DD's going off to ride SR at RnR and me, DH and FiL headed to Brown derby lounge for some adult refreshment. And my FiL face on ToT (he doesn't really like thrill rides) is priceless!! Only regret on that is it is before the video was installed.

However-I don't think we could do extended family touring together 100% for several days. Uh uh no way.

OP hope you get your magic back in a couple years! And taking a break for a few years means lots of new stuff when you do go back:)

I didn't read all the responses, but I wanted to mention that about 3 years ago we had a trip to Disney with my family (husband and kids), my parents, my sisters and their families, and my brother and his family. So there were a lot of us and it was really important to my mom that we stayed together because it was our first big trip. I think it was 7 kids under 8.

It was so disorganized and chaotic. The kids were stressed. We were stressed. At Animal Kingdom, my brother had an adult temper tantrum that involved swearing at my 4 year old child so there was major family drama. My mom cried. Then a couple hours later while waiting in line for Lion King, my dad had a grand mal seizure (he had never had one before, none of us knew what was happening and thought he was dying). He got taken to the ER and the rest of us left the park in a panic (he was fine, for the record). That was our last day of our trip so that was our last memory of Disney.

Obviously none of that was Disney's fault. But just the same, some of that Disney magic did fade for me. It took us 3 years to go back. And I still couldn't bring myself to go to Animal Kingdom this last time. We decided it was important to us to have a trip with just our own family this last time, and that's what we did. I think that helped me bring back some of the Disney magic. My brother and sisters still haven't gone back to Disney since then and my sister has mentioned that she hasn't had the desire to go back after that last terrible trip.

I think time can help, but also I think extended family trips are just ridiculously stressful. I would plan a low-stress trip for a smaller number of people in the future to see if you can bring back some of that magic.

I understand where you are coming from. I've had disappointments on vacations and often it takes me five years or so before I'm ready to try that again. // Time away and then coming back because you want to with some lower expectations is what usually works for me. Older kids, fewer people, etc. all make things easier.

It's a great big world out there too with a lot of cool travel opportunities besides Disney. // If you are set on Orlando, maybe do a SeaWorld trip -- SeaWorld, Aquatica, and Discovery cove with a stay at a SeaWorld partner hotel or maybe even the Hilton Grand Vacation Club SeaWorld. We love SeaWorld and find it more relaxing than Disney. Another place to find magic for me is with nature -- maybe a national park instead of a theme park.

You'll know if and when it's time to try Disney again I think.

In the meantime, I feel your pain and have had similar disappointment on vacations.

It seems like a lot of people have issues when travelling with big groups. Why is this ? Are you just reluctant to discuss your expectations and preferences before you go ? We travel with rather large groups quite often - usually we'll start with 15 of us between my family and my two sisters' families, and then add various additional people each year (family friends and their families, my dad, my mother-in-law, my Aunt & Uncle). We've had up to 26 people on a trip, and we usually stay for 10 to 14 days, often renting a few houses off property together - so we're all around each other all the time. We've never had a single issue where a trip was "ruined", because everyone who goes is very up front and honest, and they all make sure their plans do all the things they want to do during a summer vacation. We get together a year before the trip, have a big "planning party" where we usually have everyone fill out a survey ranking their favorite parks, rides, and places to eat - then we plan out what "the group" is going to do. Every family has different things they want to do and yes - when you spend that much time together in the hot Florida sun, people are going to annoy each other ... so the basic rule is, if you don't want to do what the group is doing .... don't ! Just go do your own thing and meet up whenever we have the next ADR or FP. Honestly, you have to take responsibility for your own enjoyment (and your own family's enjoyment), else you're just going to end up getting annoyed and resenting other people.

For instance, I loved the advent of Magic Bands and FP+, because the one thing that used to annoy me was having to wait for everyone to get into a park, so we could collect tickets and go run and get Fast Passes. Now if people don't want to do rope drop, no big deal - we'll meet you outside of our first ride at noon.

We also do an "adults only" Food & Wine every few years, which is nice as it lets the adults relax and just hang out instead of feeling like every trip is just one big forced march.

It seems like a lot of people have issues when travelling with big groups. Why is this ? Are you just reluctant to discuss your expectations and preferences before you go ? We travel with rather large groups quite often - usually we'll start with 15 of us between my family and my two sisters' families, and then add various additional people each year (family friends and their families, my dad, my mother-in-law, my Aunt & Uncle). We've had up to 26 people on a trip, and we usually stay for 10 to 14 days, often renting a few houses off property together - so we're all around each other all the time. We've never had a single issue where a trip was "ruined", because everyone who goes is very up front and honest, and they all make sure their plans do all the things they want to do during a summer vacation. We get together a year before the trip, have a big "planning party" where we usually have everyone fill out a survey ranking their favorite parks, rides, and places to eat - then we plan out what "the group" is going to do. Every family has different things they want to do and yes - when you spend that much time together in the hot Florida sun, people are going to annoy each other ... so the basic rule is, if you don't want to do what the group is doing .... don't ! Just go do your own thing and meet up whenever we have the next ADR or FP. Honestly, you have to take responsibility for your own enjoyment (and your own family's enjoyment), else you're just going to end up getting annoyed and resenting other people.

For instance, I loved the advent of Magic Bands and FP+, because the one thing that used to annoy me was having to wait for everyone to get into a park, so we could collect tickets and go run and get Fast Passes. Now if people don't want to do rope drop, no big deal - we'll meet you outside of our first ride at noon.

We also do an "adults only" Food & Wine every few years, which is nice as it lets the adults relax and just hang out instead of feeling like every trip is just one big forced march.
I think a lot of groups and families don't have your attitude. I know that my wife's family has this weird expectation that everybody will do the same thing all the time and never separate. Which means somebody is having a bad time, all the time. It's stupid and stressful.

I've never traveled to WDW with family but if I did I wouldn't have an issue saying what my expectations are. I have no issues leaving the pack and doing my own thing. I would actually prefer it.

For me the issues would come if we are sharing a house and/or transportation. If we're trying to leave and Suzie has to run back and get her jacket, then John forgot his portable charger, then so and so has to pee, etc. That would drive me absolutely INSANE! Then if you are at the parks and two people want to leave but you are driving and they don't feel well so they don't want to Uber.

I prefer to vacation at WDW alone. We are doing an all inclusive this summer for a wedding and it's about 65 people going. All family and friends. I'm not worried about that at all. It's a much different vacation to do as a group.

I think a lot of groups and families don't have your attitude. I know that my wife's family has this weird expectation that everybody will do the same thing all the time and never separate. Which means somebody is having a bad time, all the time. It's stupid and stressful.

I guess I just don't understand that. Maybe it's because I come from a stereotypically Italian family ... we don't have much reservation about expressing an opinion so it's good because no one is harboring any resentment and letting it build up.

I've never traveled to WDW with family but if I did I wouldn't have an issue saying what my expectations are. I have no issues leaving the pack and doing my own thing. I would actually prefer it.

For me the issues would come if we are sharing a house and/or transportation.

One nice thing with 4 or 5 families all staying in the same neighborhood is if someone wants to go back home and swim or take a nap, there's always someone headed that way. We generally swap kids all trip long based on what everyone wants to do. It used to be harder when they were little, but now that the youngest of the cousins is 11, everyone is a lot more flexible with their daily plans.

Before I leave on trips, I remind myself "wherever you go, there you are." I think it's human nature that while anticipating a trip (especially a Disney trip) we imagine our lives will be perfect while we are vacationing. All our daily annoyances and cares will vanish. This leads to major disappointment when we encounter "real life" issues on a vacation that was supposed to be 100% Pure Magic.

On my last trip in late April, the weather was tough (98 degrees most days) and it took some of the wind out of our sails. When I returned home, I felt like a didn't make the most of my trip, and was filled with regret. But I remind myself, not every trip is going to be amazing. Life gets Life-y sometimes.

It seems like a lot of people have issues when travelling with big groups. Why is this ? Are you just reluctant to discuss your expectations and preferences before you go ? We've never had a single issue where a trip was "ruined", because everyone who goes is very up front and honest, and they all make sure their plans do all the things they want to do during a summer vacation.

You must have a lovely, blessed, sane and considerate family. Hah I wish I was that lucky. So what do you do when you have family members who are making it a goal to sabotage whatever plans you are making?

I planned a nice evening for three disabled adults who shared one wheelchair amongst the 3 (because they're NOT infirm, thank you very much) - the PeopleMover, the CoP if they were interested, and dinner. I presented this plan and its pros and cons about 2 weeks previously and also 12 hours before. Everyone was on-board with these plans.

We weren't even ten minutes past the Gates when one of them starts nit-picking that they need an adult beverage. And since Disney does serve, but they aren't so good at advertising, we had made ADR at a restaurant that did NOT serve alcohol. So here I am, dealing with three adults who are balking at the PeopleMover, the CMs are getting really irritated at us, my mother won't step onto the ride unless it stops, the CM's are now almost YELLING, the adult in question is STILL whining about needing a beer... and I'm about ready to JUMP off the dang ride, just shut up and enjoy. PUH-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

And the CoP, that was axed, and then we spent the next hour fighting while walking so so so so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly about how they had to WALK to the restaurant (I guess usually my GMom uses charisma to have all sorts of people give her unauthorized rides in stuff like those airport golfcarts). And that beer was still the #1 priority. Okay guys, we have been here for three hours and you have made NO memories with your DGD - standing in line for a Meet & Greet is hot, that line is too long, rides upset our necks and stomachs, we can have ice cream after dinner... Sweet baby corn on the cob, people! We went over this Plan and AGREED on it not even a day ago ; WHY are you having a squirrel moment!?

Yeah so I have learned NOT to travel or invite my family anywhere. Kind of like how they took my destination wedding about 9 years ago and turned it into "free vacation, take MLC's car for three days of the week and snap a tie rod, then claim we didn't do it" and pretty much only attended a scant few hours of the said occasion. but not before unloading some fun emotional ammunition onto others that has caused rifts to this day.

Sounds like I wanna travel with your family! Mine's the type to say, "yeah, that sounds fun" - until someone else agrees and is looking forward to it, then it's all, "That ride will give you a brain clot" or some other complete nonsense, JUST to play games with the family member who WANTS to ride that ride. *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

We have never taken a break from Disney, but we have taken a break from vacationing with family members. We go just our family now. It was too hard and too stressful to try to get everyone to agree on what to go on, what to eat, someones FP was always different, or another bathroom break or not wanting to do something. It sounds horrible, but there has been a significant decline with meltdowns in our family.

Oh yes! I've run into that too. I, for one, need some of the park time for myself.

I guess I just don't understand that. Maybe it's because I come from a stereotypically Italian family ... we don't have much reservation about expressing an opinion so it's good because no one is harboring any resentment and letting it build up.

One nice thing with 4 or 5 families all staying in the same neighborhood is if someone wants to go back home and swim or take a nap, there's always someone headed that way. We generally swap kids all trip long based on what everyone wants to do. It used to be harder when they were little, but now that the youngest of the cousins is 11, everyone is a lot more flexible with their daily plans.

I don't think it has anything to do with being afraid of expressing someone's opinion. That has never been an issue. I think it just personalities. Being truthful isn't always the way though. That's what got me in trouble on a couple of trips, in the first place.:laughing:

You seem to be a nice person OP, I don't think I would've been able to keep my mouth shut when that CM referred to you as an idiot :furious: Hope you come back to Disney soon with a much better experience :wizard:

Last edited:
OP, I understand what you are saying.

We took our first trip as a family in Feb-March 2016. My wife and I had been to WDW before, and I had been to DL many times, but this was our first trip as a family with kids. Everything went exceedingly well. It even made a "believer" out of this old Disney skeptic. We even got a Magical Moment by a CM in Liberty Tavern!

Our second trip was the week after Thanksgiving 2016. Normally, we would not have gone, but we had a little bit of extra money to spend because of a job change. This trip, though, was just a different feel to it. I wasn't looking for trouble, but it seemed to be looking for us. Rides and the monorail were breaking down constantly. We encountered something we didn't know existed - rude CMs. Even CMs that didn't seem to know what to do, or how to keep a stand by line moving. I even felt like I really had to "sell" my story to one CM when our FPs had expired because a ride was down during for a long time during the time we had scheduled for the FP. I finally told him "look, your ride was down." Even the people visiting seemed to be more agitated. It was just different than on our first trip.

We've got another trip scheduled for next year. I'm not trying to find problems, but i'm really hoping that things go like our first trip as a family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter