First time buyer help please!

So if I buy points at two different resorts, can I use all points at either resort at the 11 month window or only the points I purchased at said resort at the 11 month window?

So if I buy points at two different resorts, can I use all points at either resort at the 11 month window or only the points I purchased at said resort at the 11 month window?
At 11 months, you can only use points at their home resort.

You can only combine your points at the multiple resorts at the 7 month mark, and then only if they're in the same membership (same UY, titled the same).

My recommendation, which most on these boards would agree with, is for you to purchase resale first. I fully acknowledge and understand the lure of having a blue card, but at the same time the price difference is significant enough that it's best to dip your toes first with resale before making the direct plunge. You may find that you don't need to buy direct. If you still want to, then it will always be just a simple phone call away. Remember, if the aim is to have one UY, it's always easier and less stressful to get your resale first and then easily match your UY with direct.

You mention that you would like direct because you want to be able to stay at Riviera, but then want to experience a different one each visit-- with 10 WDW properties you can use your (non-RIV) resale points at, it will take you much longer than you think to get to them all. You may end up finding another property you love just as much as RIV. If you want to move forward and spend the extra $$$ because of FOMO for 1 current property, then ensure you've thought that through thoroughly.

First off, everyone vacations differently and to each their own. Every DVC resort has its pros and cons. Most see SSR as Sleep Around Points, and I don't disagree with that logic.

Besides the obvious things like renovated rooms and proximity to Disney Springs, SSR (and OKW) are me and my wife's favorite resorts because they're different in design than the other DVC resorts on property. To us, this is a big factor. Again, to each their own and these are our opinions.
  • SSR and OKW are more of a traditional timeshare layout that is more of a sprawling complex of buildings as opposed to a being a single building with a single corridor that feels more like a hotel. While my wife and I have enjoyed short stays at other properties, we prefer SSR and OKW as the separation of buildings makes things a bit more quiet and relaxing. At the other resorts, you could have a lot of foot traffic outside your door depending on where your room is located. At SSR and OKW, the foot traffic outside your villa will be significantly less. Downside: more walking if trying to get somewhere (like back to the lobby, general store or laundry when in a studio)

• Do you often travel with a car? With separated buildings, you can drive right up to your villa, and 99% have no trouble finding a parking space right in front. People often forget this. Long day in the parks and the kids are sleepy/tired? Traveling with elders who can't walk far distances? At SSR and OKW, you park your car and you'll be just steps away from your villa. Game changer.
Of course, if taking the bus, having larger grounds means multiple bus stops before/after your destination, but I really don't care as long as I get onboard. It may add an additional 10 minutes of ride time, but in today's world of smart phones I can easily fill that time.
_____

Best of luck!
I agree and with all your points and own at both resorts and AKL and SSR and OKW and much more quite and private when in your villa

I don’t have a preferred resort necessarily but would like to experience different ones each visit, how is availability on other resorts at the 7 month window usually. We aren’t ever going to be there on extremely busy weeks like thanksgiving and Christmas.
If you want SAP points , the best choice is the cheapest one. This said you should also choose the one that you will not be disappointed going if there is nothing available at 7 months. Blue card or not , not my domain of expertise, because I don't care about the perks. If I want to try Riviera , I will try to transfert some points.

Last edited:
How does banking and borrowing points work?

You are allowed to bank you points, up to 100% currently, to the next UY. This extended their life another year. You can only bank a set of points once. You have until the end of the 8th mont of your UY to do it. It can be done more than once during those 8 months.

Borrowing happens when you want to make a reservation and don’t have enough points so they allow you to borrow....currently up to 50%..to complete the trip. Once borrowed those points stay in the UY of the trip. You can only borrow when booking, but can do it up to the limit for as many trips as you want to book.

Congrats! I think buying at SSR resale first, and then adding on points later if you want is a great strategy. I bought SSR resale last summer, after renting at Kidani. I hope to be flexible, and experience several resorts, and if I ever NEED that 11 month advantage, or fall desperately in love with RIV, I can buy there later. Even if it means selling my SSR to get it.

You are allowed to bank you points, up to 100% currently, to the next UY. This extended their life another year. You can only bank a set of points once. You have until the end of the 8th mont of your UY to do it. It can be done more than once during those 8 months.

Borrowing happens when you want to make a reservation and don’t have enough points so they allow you to borrow....currently up to 50%..to complete the trip. Once borrowed those points stay in the UY of the trip. You can only borrow when booking, but can do it up to the limit for as many trips as you want to book.
Thank you! So if I tend to travel in the fall (Oct through early December) would an August UY be goo to have? Or should I try and stick with a Sept or Oct UY?

Thank you! So if I tend to travel in the fall (Oct through early December) would an August UY be goo to have? Or should I try and stick with a Sept or Oct UY?
Any of those would be great! October might be best, but August might be easiest to find (of those 3); so I would let the best contract make the final decision 👍🏻

The discounts for cash stays at RIV are really good. They may not last forever, but for now they make a DVC stay on points with a night or two on cash at RIV either at the beginning or the end of the trip very doabIe. I almost booked a room there for an upcoming split stay trip (35% discount with AP.) But we decided we wanted to look at giraffes instead. :)

Any of those would be great! October might be best, but August might be easiest to find (of those 3); so I would let the best contract make the final decision 👍🏻
I’m staying at AKV next week in a one bedroom Savannah view, if I like the resort I think that would be my home resort. I’d love boardwalk or beach club villas but the expiration date scares me a bit. Bay lake could be nice but being close to MK doesn’t appeal to me. I also drive to the parks so monorails, boats, or the skyliner wouldn’t sway my decision. Walking to Epcot is more appealing to me. What is an ideal price pp for a 150 point contract? I’d be ok with split stays since we do half universal and I have other timeshare ownerships I would use. This is new to me and I’m trying to make this work

So a question, I will have 100 points per UY. If I decide we want to stay at a studio at the poly for 115 points can I pay the difference in cash or would I not be able to stay there??? This is saying I didn’t want to bank or borrow points.

@WalloghbyWay, we stayed in a studio at AKL Kindani and thought resort was amazing, only downside was we were wayyyy down the hallway and it was a pretty good hike to lobby so request a room near amenities. We were there early in January so it’s hard to get a good feel for the resort with so much closed.

So a question, I will have 100 points per UY. If I decide we want to stay at a studio at the poly for 115 points can I pay the difference in cash or would I not be able to stay there??? This is saying I didn’t want to bank or borrow points.

Yes and no. If you are booking at 7 months or less, you are allowed to buy one time use...OTU...points up to 24 per UY for $19/pt currently. During home resort priority, no.

The other option is to book what you can with points and then book a cash stay via Disney. Sometimes, you can get those nights via MS for. 25% discount, but only if available. You can also go with Disney direct for those nights.

Youd then ask them to note it’s the same group in hopes to stay in the same room.

Yes and no. If you are booking at 7 months or less, you are allowed to buy one time use...OTU...points up to 24 per UY for $19/pt currently. During home resort priority, no.

The other option is to book what you can with points and then book a cash stay via Disney. Sometimes, you can get those nights via MS for. 25% discount, but only if available. You can also go with Disney direct for those nights.

Youd then ask them to note it’s the same group in hopes to stay in the same room.
Is it hard to get a two bedroom at 7 mo out at certain resorts? I’ve read that one bedrooms are usually easier since people tend to book studios to stretch their points. That works for me since I like one bedrooms. but, I would also need two bedrooms 4-5 nights on my trip. I’m really trying to figure out which resort is best to buy at. If SSR or OKW two bedrooms are easier to book at 7 mo than most other resorts, I’d probably want to buy AKV as my home resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter