Does your family use different words for things?

I just remembered another one: Our DS calls deodorant "pit stick", apparently a term all the guys used at summer camp.

My mom always called milk "moo juice".
My dad used to call soy sauce "bug juice". I used that term once and I thought my then 4 year old was going to come unglued.

We say a lot of things that are local but odd to everyone else. Spaghetti sauce is “red gravy”. We have also started some words that DS (2.5) made up.
The funny thing is that if you said that to me I'd probably figure it out, since it's not that different from saying "red sauce". Or I'll mix it up with red eye gravy.

When my daughter was little she couldn’t say s, it came out as f, so sprinkles and smarties are now referred to as finkles and farties

I make a chicken casserole that is now called chicken broke. No one can remember how it got that name.

I refer to our freezers as the fridge freezer (self explanatory) and the freezer freezer (chest freezer). This started when I still lived at home and needed to know where to put groceries.

we have a couple. Our local small supermarket is the - Mart Mart. My DS named it that when he was about 3.

The Dairy Queen is the Quincy Store(pronounced kwin zee) but nowhere near Quincy MA. He fell asleep in the car and when we got near home and went for ice cream he still thought we were in that town.

Oh and it is Binnee the Pooh btw.

Our department at work was all female. We got tired of announcing we were going to the restroom, so we started calling it the Disco. If the one on our floor was busy and we had to go to another floor “the bouncer wouldn’t let us in”. If a few of us ended up in there at the same time, it was a “party on the dance floor”. I don’t remember who started it, but when the office shut down, it was still the Disco.

I just remembered another one: Our DS calls deodorant "pit stick", apparently a term all the guys used at summer camp.
We had family friends who called it "No Bathe".

Our family has several. Lollipops are "sucker bars", and our daughters always got "square gum" (like chicklets) in their Christmas stockings. Instead of saying six of one, half dozen of another, we just say "sixes". Our Grandsons call their bottoms "Sweet Rolls". My husband calls our Honeymoon our Wedding Vacation.

My dad used to call soy sauce "bug juice".

I have heard the term bug juice, but we don't really use it in our family. I have heard someone else say that they call it giggle juice, because of the noise that it makes when it comes out of the bottle.

I refer to our freezers as the fridge freezer (self explanatory) and the freezer freezer (chest freezer). This started when I still lived at home and needed to know where to put groceries.

I call ours the upright freezer (fridge freezer), which, by default, means that the chest freezer is the downright freezer.

Dish rags are schmattes
Bath robes are schlafrocks

Which would probably be less weird if we were either Jewish or German.

Like a PP, we also call the TV remote control the "clicker"

Those are Yiddish words. Are you from the NYC area? Yiddish terminology is pretty common over there.
Decorative stuff you have around your house are called tchotchkes.
A long trip is a schlep.

My dad still calls his jeans dungarees.

We had family friends who called it "No Bathe".

Our family has several. Lollipops are "sucker bars", and our daughters always got "square gum" (like chicklets) in their Christmas stockings. Instead of saying six of one, half dozen of another, we just say "sixes". Our Grandsons call their bottoms "Sweet Rolls". My husband calls our Honeymoon our Wedding Vacation.
Well, recalling how my DS used to come home from his camp weeks (years and years as both a camper and a counsellor), I think your friend's are onto something. :rotfl:

I have heard the term bug juice, but we don't really use it in our family. I have heard someone else say that they call it giggle juice, because of the noise that it makes when it comes out of the bottle.

That’s cute about the giggle juice. I thought Bug juice was a summer camp term. I think there was a show on Nickelodeon with the name, too.

When our 2 older kids were little, they called pajamas “jaw-mers,” & the name has stuck in our house. (I know some people in other areas of the country pronounce the word “pajamas” w/ the second “a” like the short a in ”apple,” but we pronounce the second “a” like the “aw” sound in “jaw”.)

Our 2 oldest are just 18 months apart, &, when they were really little, their pacifiers were “faw-fees.” So, even though we no longer have babies & toddlers in our house, a pacifier will always be a “faw-fee.”

And, our youngest used to called Chick-Fil-A “Chick-O-Lay,’ & that’s kinda stuck too.

Leftover pizza crusts are pizza bones.

And, my grandmother referred to her robe as a “house coat,” & my mother still does.

Last edited:
Those are Yiddish words.

I know. Hence my comment about it not being weird if we were Jewish or German. We’re not. Also not have the NYC area. Though Montreal also has a large Jewish population, but my friends didn’t call use those terms in their houses.

The remote was 'the stick'. The ends of the bread were 'the knobby'. A poop was 'a jobby'. They all takes me back to my wonderful childhood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter