• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does your family use different words for things?

My family calls the remote the “TV Turner” and it was only when I went to college when I discovered that no one else calls it that.

My DH calls a local restaurant that is really named "Amadeo's", "Amendolaro's". I've learned what he means when he says he wants food from there.

Pajamas are called "night-night clothes". It was cute when my DS was an older teen, and he would say something about night-night clothes... old habits die hard.

We still call potatoes "contatoes" in my parents' house. My youngest sister called them that and it stuck.

When my daughter was young I took her to DCA and we rode Tower of Terror when it first opened, but heard some little boy call it "Terror of Tower" and it just stuck. How many years later my entire family still calls it that.

We'll be walking through DHS and say, "let's ride "Terror of Tower" and people look at us like we're morons! Well, maybe we are! :)

My grandmother called the couch a davenport and her purse was her pocketbook. She also referred to all brands of mayonnaise as "salad dressing", which is because she used only Spin Blend mayo which they brand as "salad dressing".

We have some strange ones that have stuck for many years...

Klim is milk. It is just milk spelled backwards, but when I was a baby if I heard milk, I would stop eating and only want my milk bottle. So they just switched it.

Fifis are girls or ladies underwear. Fufus are socks or shoes (basically something that goes on the foot). And FiFu for some insane reason is grapefruit? No idea on that one.

The keyless entry for cars is referred to as the Click Click.

My older son called fruit snacks "meat snacks" when he was a toddler. So, that stuck.

And, same kid called Target "the green store" because of the green doors, so that stuck.

We call breakfast burritos "Nunya's"... because when they were little, they asked my husband what he was eating and he said "Nunya business", and it stuck.

Probably a lot more, but those stick out.

Does your family have certain words or descriptors for things that nobody else uses? In our family, my daughter used to call Carl's Jr. "Happy Star" when she was really little. She is out of college and on her own now, but we still call Carl's Jr. "Happy Star."

We also have a card game called Jaipur, about trading wares and camels, which somehow has gotten renamed "Agrabah." by our family.

I'm sure we have others, if I were to think about it for a bit. Anybody else regularly use words for things that wouldn't generally be recognized by others?
No

My older son called fruit snacks "meat snacks" when he was a toddler. So, that stuck.

And, same kid called Target "the green store" because of the green doors, so that stuck.

We call breakfast burritos "Nunya's"... because when they were little, they asked my husband what he was eating and he said "Nunya business", and it stuck.

Probably a lot more, but those stick out.
Wait.... When did Target have green doors?

We used to call the remote control (and sometimes still do) the clicker, but I know other people who call it that.
The clicker yes. Also nuking your food.

I'm originally from Pittsburgh (Pixburgh or da 'Burgh) and have always been in western PA (BTW, the only state people verbally refer to with PA instead of the name so I've read.) There's a lot of stuff I say that others don't know what I'm talking about (chipped ham?) I'm not nearly as bad as my mother though (she worshes her car and clothes, would go to visit Worshington DC, still says yinz.) Any time I'm traveling, everyone knows where I'm from.

Not a different word, but we were on the bicycles going across NY when we stopped for lunch. My buddy says, "wonder what they'd say if I get a steak salad and ask for french fries on it." Just then the waitress was walking past me, stopped and pointed at my menu, "We have a Pittsburgh salad right here."

The clicker yes. Also nuking your food.

I'm originally from Pittsburgh (Pixburgh or da 'Burgh) and have always been in western PA (BTW, the only state people verbally refer to with PA instead of the name so I've read.) There's a lot of stuff I say that others don't know what I'm talking about (chipped ham?) I'm not nearly as bad as my mother though (she worshes her car and clothes, would go to visit Worshington DC, still says yinz.) Any time I'm traveling, everyone knows where I'm from.

Not a different word, but we were on the bicycles going across NY when we stopped for lunch. My buddy says, "wonder what they'd say if I get a steak salad and ask for french fries on it." Just then the waitress was walking past me, stopped and pointed at my menu, "We have a Pittsburgh salad right here."

My dad uses the word nuke for microwaving something.

I have heard the term bug juice

Me too, but it didn't refer to soy sauce - it was Kool Aid (especially if orange or red.)

My grandmother called the couch a davenport and her purse was her pocketbook.

Mine too!

Klim is milk. It is just milk spelled backwards, but when I was a baby if I heard milk, I would stop eating and only want my milk bottle. So they just switched it.

Brilliant!

Also nuking your food.

We also used that one in my house.

The one unique family one I can think of is "joey" - which referred to a sort of air puffed snack (not quite Cheetos, but similar in texture and shaped like popcorn.) When my brother was really little, we had a bag of it and he heard my mom say: "Do you want some, Joey?" to my cousin...and he thought the stuff was called joey. So a few days later, he kept asking my mom for joey - and when they finally figured it out, it stuck. That snack was "joey" forever after in our house.

I've always referred to paper towels as "quicker picker uppers" (the Bounty commercial). My girls now say this too
It's actually kinda dumb that we say that because saying quicker picker upper is more of a mouthful than just saying paper towel - LOL!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter