• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you have a book with old remedies/ foods in it?

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
What is listed in there for ocassional depression? It is hormonal related - it pops up for a week or so every month.

I'm scared of drugs... so I don't take my prescription my ob gave me.

I'd be willing to try some of the old remedies (I think!) I'd like to know what the old wives tales are - what your grandmother took.

Of course I'll bypass the whisky :thumbsup2

Wherever your search leads you, I would caution you to remember that "natural" is not necessarily good for you. After all, arsenic and uranium are natural.

I have PMDD, so I understand the hormonal things. BC pills helped a lot, but when I went off them when we decided to have a baby I needed something else. I have a "sun" lamp...it's a big help in the dark winter days. It's just a full spectrum bulb in a reading light but it definitely gives me a boost when I'm feeling blue. Spending time in the sun is a surefire pick-me-up, but here in Maine in winter, the sun is in short supply. St. John's wort works, but it can decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. Exercise helps, too. I found a couple dark chocolate Hershey Kisses would provide a lift, and when I had a particularly bad day I'd watch a funny movie or a favorite comedy show.

And you don't need to be scared of meds. I was, too, until I had some situational depression after my father died. I had days I couldn't get out of bed (those coincided with the hormonal stuff), and that scared me more than the idea of meds. A very, very low dose of an antidepressant made a world of difference.

I'm so scared of meds I haven't taken birth control more than maybe 3 months! And I've been married 18yrs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter