Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, @bluecastle:). Yes, DD's university is in-state and she just finished orientation and registration. We went on vacation right after graduation and I actually don't have a WDW trip booked, but I just might have to do something about that:scratchin. I had intended on taking my first solo trip after DD starts college, but, to be honest with everyone, many of the WDW changes in the past year have been disappointing to me. I don't want to use this thread to complain, but let's just say I'm not happy with the direction WDW is going so I've been on the fence about booking since August's trip. How about you? Do you have any trips to WDW in the works?!

Some of what I've been reading has made me wonder about whether we will still feel the joy and magic that we have felt in the past. That, and the financial considerations, are why I am waiting until Fall 2017 for our next trip. I have a ticker, but those dates could change. Since I want to get a 2BR villa, I have to wait a bit longer to book. I am looking at the Epcot area for our next trip, BCV or BWV, although I know they are hard to get in October. Hoping that between some new attractions, AK at night, and MNSSHP and FW for the first time, we should be able to find the magic! I do feel a little guilty for not considering WL, but being able to walk easily to and from WS is definitely something I want to experience! (and maybe that will be the source of most of the magic, just like the MK boat ride is for WL)
I have a feeling you will be planning again soon!

The resort is not crowded right now since so many rooms are under construction. We stopped by at lunch time a few weeks ago and Roaring Forks was almost empty. And there weren't very many people waiting for the buses, either. :)

The bounceback offer for 2017 should be available when you are there in October. :) The current BB offer is still for 2016 dates.

Since most of the trees are gone there are some good fireworks views. Just request a high floor. The 6th floor rooms near Otter Pond have dormer balconies and you have to stand to see out of them. Here is a picture:

closedbalconyroom6018_zps691351b7.jpg

I don't like the dormer balconies and would request the fourth of fifth floor to avoid having one.

Gosh, thank you for your quick responses and photo's! I knew in advance our home away from home was going under major reconstruction but the WL is just so amazing that the news didn't dampen our plans to book here. It will be neat to see before & after as well. Thanks for keeping us so informed!

Well because that lobby is so awesome and grand. The look of it, like it is there, would just put a damper on a stay there for me every time I would walk into it. I could handle the construction on the outside, and the view of it. But the lobby and the main pool area would be so very important to me.

Honestly, you hardly notice it. We stayed in March and I noticed the elevator closure more than anything else (this is still another elevator to use). The lobby is still grand and gorgeous.

The main pool is still open and you don't see construction from there. Since the hotel is half empty, the pool is too. For us, it was a great experience. Less crowds and nice and quiet.

Maybe this is an odd question. Is there room to use an air mattress in one of the standard rooms? I have two teenage boys and it's becoming impossible for them to share a bed. The bunk bed room would be great but out of our price range. Thinking of bringing a twin-size air mattress and letting them take turns with that. We could stand it up against a wall during the day so it's out of the way. But is there enough room to put one down at night? Has anyone ever done this?

The desk area is still open, but it is on the fourth floor, not the fifth floor. We had a room right outside this area on the fourth floor back in January 2015 and our son-in-law found it very convenient for getting some work done. :)

Thank you for the correction, @Wood Nymph:)

Some of what I've been reading has made me wonder about whether we will still feel the joy and magic that we have felt in the past. That, and the financial considerations, are why I am waiting until Fall 2017 for our next trip. I have a ticker, but those dates could change. Since I want to get a 2BR villa, I have to wait a bit longer to book. I am looking at the Epcot area for our next trip, BCV or BWV, although I know they are hard to get in October. Hoping that between some new attractions, AK at night, and MNSSHP and FW for the first time, we should be able to find the magic! I do feel a little guilty for not considering WL, but being able to walk easily to and from WS is definitely something I want to experience! (and maybe that will be the source of most of the magic, just like the MK boat ride is for WL)
I have a feeling you will be planning again soon!

And don't forget about the good ol' split stay;). Let us know, (maybe on the BWI/BWV thread?!), when you've booked:)

Maybe this is an odd question. Is there room to use an air mattress in one of the standard rooms? I have two teenage boys and it's becoming impossible for them to share a bed. The bunk bed room would be great but out of our price range. Thinking of bringing a twin-size air mattress and letting them take turns with that. We could stand it up against a wall during the day so it's out of the way. But is there enough room to put one down at night? Has anyone ever done this?

Not an odd question at all. In fact, I recall that someone who used to post here, @nyrebecca, used to always bring an Aero Bed for her teen son and use it in the WL Standard Room. In a room with two queens, I suppose you could fit it either in between the two beds or perhaps to the side of each bed, or even in between the desk and bed near the balcony, though I've never done it myself.

Have you priced out the bunk Vs. two queens? I thought they weren't that much more than two queens? Also, if you're in a CL room, there is no extra charge for a bunk, they are by-request, but not guaranteed like a non-CL room.

Not an odd question at all. In fact said:
@nyrebecca[/USER], used to always bring an Aero Bed for her teen son and use it in the WL Standard Room. In a room with two queens, I suppose you could fit it either in between the two beds or perhaps to the side of each bed, or even in between the desk and bed near the balcony, though I've never done it myself.

Have you priced out the bunk Vs. two queens? I thought they weren't that much more than two queens? Also, if you're in a CL room, there is no extra charge for a bunk, they are by-request, but not guaranteed like a non-CL room.

Thanks for the quick reply! The difference seems to be about $800 for the week that we're there--and that's more than I can really do! But here's a follow-up question. When I go on the website, I see Standard View rooms and then I see Courtyard View or Courtyard View - Bunk Beds. Does that mean there are no standard view rooms with bunk beds? It seems the jump from courtyard to courtyard/bunk isn't that much. If there were a standard/bunk I'm guessing it wouldn't be much more than my standard/queen. But I can't seem to find that.

**EDIT - Okay, so on Touring Plans I see there are no Standard View/Bunk Bed, but there are Woods View/Bunk Bed. I understand that's not currently an option on the Disney website due to the construction. But where are those rooms now? Aren't they considered Standard View now? How would I go about possibly getting one of those -- and would it be closer to the Standard View rate than the Courtyard View rate?

Last edited:
We've stayed in a standard room at WL a few times. There is not enough room between the queen beds (the width of the night table) or on the side of the bed closest to the bathroom for a twin inflatable. There is a bit more room on the side of the bed closest to the balcony sliding door, but I'm not sure it's is enough for the air mattress :(

There may be enough room where the table & chairs are, if the table & chairs are moved. (table to other side of tv & chairs to the balcony side of the bed)

The rooms at WL are a good bit smaller then the other deluxe resorts we've stayed at. (But it is still in my top 2! ;))

Last edited:
This is our first deluxe stay, so we're used to "cozy" quarters! But as the boys have gotten older, they just keep taking up more and more space! And the oldest is a HUGE bed hog. So in travels outside of Disney we've taken to making sure we get mini suites with a pull-out sofa or something similar. That just becomes cost-prohibitive quick at Disney so we're looking for alternatives. I know they're going to be over-the-moon about staying at Wilderness Lodge no matter what. Just trying to come up with alternatives to make it even better!

This is our first deluxe stay, so we're used to "cozy" quarters! But as the boys have gotten older, they just keep taking up more and more space! And the oldest is a HUGE bed hog. So in travels outside of Disney we've taken to making sure we get mini suites with a pull-out sofa or something similar. That just becomes cost-prohibitive quick at Disney so we're looking for alternatives. I know they're going to be over-the-moon about staying at Wilderness Lodge no matter what. Just trying to come up with alternatives to make it even better!

I can relate :) My GS is my frequent Disney travel buddy along with my DD (his Aunt). 3 generations, mixed gender's = no bed sharing. Add to that that in the past year & a half the GS has sprouted & become a 6' 2" skinny giant! lol... makes it a challenge to keep WDW accommodations on budget with the necessary sleeping arrangement.

Moving the table should give you the space you need. Enjoy your trip! WL is magnificent, you will love it!

Thanks for the quick reply! The difference seems to be about $800 for the week that we're there--and that's more than I can really do! But here's a follow-up question. When I go on the website, I see Standard View rooms and then I see Courtyard View or Courtyard View - Bunk Beds. Does that mean there are no standard view rooms with bunk beds? It seems the jump from courtyard to courtyard/bunk isn't that much. If there were a standard/bunk I'm guessing it wouldn't be much more than my standard/queen. But I can't seem to find that.

**EDIT - Okay, so on Touring Plans I see there are no Standard View/Bunk Bed, but there are Woods View/Bunk Bed. I understand that's not currently an option on the Disney website due to the construction. But where are those rooms now? Aren't they considered Standard View now? How would I go about possibly getting one of those -- and would it be closer to the Standard View rate than the Courtyard View rate?
There are bunk bed rooms that would have been classified as woods view and are now standard view. I would request a bunk bed for your standard view room. A lot of people don't want bunk beds so there are often some available. It is not a guarantee but you might be able to get one for the standard view price.

There are bunk bed rooms that would have been classified as woods view and are now standard view. I would request a bunk bed for your standard view room. A lot of people don't want bunk beds so there are often some available. It is not a guarantee but you might be able to get one for the standard view price.

THANK YOU! I didn't even realize this! That would be great--I'm going to call and ask for it to be added to my reservation now. I know it's only a request, but at least it's worth a shot!

Excited for my trip planned for September 16 - 20 at my FAVORITE resort! However, I will say I'm going to miss my Woods View Room on the villa side - and the use of the quiet pool! But excited for new memories to be made . . .:yay:

We have used a twin size air mattress at Pop and CBR. It fit fine on the floor at the end of the beds. I'm sure one would fit at WL if it fit in the other rooms.

I just looked at my post count and realized that is about to be 700, so I just wanted to make that post here. This thread was a great source of comfort when I hurt my back and had to postpone our trip for 2 years. It was also the place where I shared my joy when my DD got engaged on the trip I was finally able to make. (summer 2014) Some screen names come and go, but there is a core of very helpful and kind people who keep me coming back, even when I don't have a WL trip planned. Thanks to KOOK, wood nymph, and many others for always being there for people- answering questions you've read countless times and offering support to anyone who needs it. ❤️

I just looked at my post count and realized that is about to be 700, so I just wanted to make that post here. This thread was a great source of comfort when I hurt my back and had to postpone our trip for 2 years. It was also the place where I shared my joy when my DD got engaged on the trip I was finally able to make. (summer 2014) Some screen names come and go, but there is a core of very helpful and kind people who keep me coming back, even when I don't have a WL trip planned. Thanks to KOOK, wood nymph, and many others for always being there for people- answering questions you've read countless times and offering support to anyone who needs it. ❤️

Whoohoo!pixiedust:700!:jumping1::dancer::banana::cheer2:Good on YOU!! Cheers!

Hi Everyone!
I just booked our first stay at Wilderness Lodge and I'm wondering about how bad the construction is. We will be in the main building and will definitely use the pool, so what exactly is affected? I've tried to find information about it online but Disney is very vague about what exactly is going on. They do say the pool by the Villas is closed, as well as a playground, and one of the trails. Are there other trails available? Does anyone have more information about what exactly is closed and how much it will impact a stay? We do like to spend time at the pool and eat at the resort, so I'm hoping the restaurants will all be open. Thanks!

Hi Everyone!
I just booked our first stay at Wilderness Lodge and I'm wondering about how bad the construction is. We will be in the main building and will definitely use the pool, so what exactly is affected? I've tried to find information about it online but Disney is very vague about what exactly is going on. They do say the pool by the Villas is closed, as well as a playground, and one of the trails. Are there other trails available? Does anyone have more information about what exactly is closed and how much it will impact a stay? We do like to spend time at the pool and eat at the resort, so I'm hoping the restaurants will all be open. Thanks!
Just go back one page of this thread and start reading. You will find some good summaries of what is closed. ;)

The trail to Fort Wilderness is open. All of the restaurants are open and functioning normally. Buses and boats are running normally, too. :) And the main pool is great. :)

We are heading back in November. I'm not too worried about the construction noise. More than anything I'm looking forward to a less crowded resort.

I never found WL to be "crowded" so to speak because of it's size and openness both indoor & out. Roaring Forks however is small but the lines move quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter