Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just go back one page of this thread and start reading. You will find some good summaries of what is closed. ;)

The trail to Fort Wilderness is open. All of the restaurants are open and functioning normally. Buses and boats are running normally, too. :) And the main pool is great. :)

Thank you!!

The resort is not crowded right now since so many rooms are under construction. We stopped by at lunch time a few weeks ago and Roaring Forks was almost empty. And there weren't very many people waiting for the buses, either. :)

The bounceback offer for 2017 should be available when you are there in October. :) The current BB offer is still for 2016 dates.

Since most of the trees are gone there are some good fireworks views. Just request a high floor. The 6th floor rooms near Otter Pond have dormer balconies and you have to stand to see out of them. Here is a picture:

closedbalconyroom6018_zps691351b7.jpg

I don't like the dormer balconies and would request the fourth of fifth floor to avoid having one.

Oh wow! Thanks for that info - I would have never known (til it was too late). I definitely wouldn't want that kind of balcony!

What do you guys think about DVC studio availability at 7 months out? Someone posted on my TR that it's "unheard of" for there to be availability anywhere but OKW and SSR at 7 months out. My coworker I'm renting points from said she's never had problems getting what she wanted at 7 months out. She's had to waitlist but they always end up going through. She stayed at BCV this past June and that came through on a wait list.

I actually booked a 1 bedroom at VWL in Dec 2015 for June 2016 on a cash ressie but we ended up changing it to SSR, but to me that just shows there was availability.

Any experiences?

DW and I will be staying at the WL Jan. 26 - 30. Our "home" resort (YC) will be going through a refurb at that time as well which is why we are taking this opportunity to stay at the Lodge. Not worried about the construction, just hoping some of those areas previously mentioned as closed or blocked off will be opened back up by then. Looking forward to that 4th and 5th floor seating area in front of a fire place in January. Thanks for all the information Kook, I'll be spending the next few months reading through it all.
Katesdad

Thanks for the quick reply! The difference seems to be about $800 for the week that we're there--and that's more than I can really do! But here's a follow-up question. When I go on the website, I see Standard View rooms and then I see Courtyard View or Courtyard View - Bunk Beds. Does that mean there are no standard view rooms with bunk beds? It seems the jump from courtyard to courtyard/bunk isn't that much. If there were a standard/bunk I'm guessing it wouldn't be much more than my standard/queen. But I can't seem to find that.

**EDIT - Okay, so on Touring Plans I see there are no Standard View/Bunk Bed, but there are Woods View/Bunk Bed. I understand that's not currently an option on the Disney website due to the construction. But where are those rooms now? Aren't they considered Standard View now? How would I go about possibly getting one of those -- and would it be closer to the Standard View rate than the Courtyard View rate?

A SV/Bunk is not bookable, (just like a CL bunk isn't), however, it used to be, and still should be, by-request and subject to availability. If you've booked a Standard View, you can add a "Bunk Bed" request to your reservation, but it can't be guaranteed.

I just looked at my post count and realized that is about to be 700, so I just wanted to make that post here. This thread was a great source of comfort when I hurt my back and had to postpone our trip for 2 years. It was also the place where I shared my joy when my DD got engaged on the trip I was finally able to make. (summer 2014) Some screen names come and go, but there is a core of very helpful and kind people who keep me coming back, even when I don't have a WL trip planned. Thanks to KOOK, wood nymph, and many others for always being there for people- answering questions you've read countless times and offering support to anyone who needs it. ❤️

What a thoughtful post, @bluecastle:blush:. We're honored to have your 700th post right here on our little thread...and 700 more!

We all know how very special it feels to stay at a Disney Resort for the first time (or even multiple times), such excitement and anticipation! Being able to play even a tiny part in making someone's trip a little more informed is an honor. I could never do it (on any of my threads), without dedicated, knowledgable, kind and patient DISers who appear out of nowhere with all the right answers:worship: so...THANK YOU ALL!!!

Hi Everyone!
I just booked our first stay at Wilderness Lodge and I'm wondering about how bad the construction is. We will be in the main building and will definitely use the pool, so what exactly is affected? I've tried to find information about it online but Disney is very vague about what exactly is going on. They do say the pool by the Villas is closed, as well as a playground, and one of the trails. Are there other trails available? Does anyone have more information about what exactly is closed and how much it will impact a stay? We do like to spend time at the pool and eat at the resort, so I'm hoping the restaurants will all be open. Thanks!

Congratulations on booking!

@Wood Nymph pointed you in the right direction yesterday, but this might be a good time to re-post the link to the WILDERNESS LODGE, BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS AND COPPER CREEK VILLAS AND CABINS DVC EXPANSION thread which has more specific information on the WL/VWL transformation and a dedicated discussion forum.

We are heading back in November. I'm not too worried about the construction noise. More than anything I'm looking forward to a less crowded resort.

That's the spirit! Fewer guests (at least 50% fewer at WL), mean fewer guests on the buses, boats, at the restaurants and quick serve, in the laundry room, in the hot tubs and WL pool, ME, check-in...

I never found WL to be "crowded" so to speak because of it's size and openness both indoor & out. Roaring Forks however is small but the lines move quick.

During spring break and Christmas, and I presume other major holidays during which I've not stayed, boat lines along the pier can get long; the buses, especially in the morning and evening, have long lines; the WL pool gets very crowded as well as the CL lounge and seating area, and the lines/wait times move slowly at RF. This isn't anything unique to WL, but most everything is much more crowded than in the "off-season."

What do you guys think about DVC studio availability at 7 months out? Someone posted on my TR that it's "unheard of" for there to be availability anywhere but OKW and SSR at 7 months out. My coworker I'm renting points from said she's never had problems getting what she wanted at 7 months out. She's had to waitlist but they always end up going through. She stayed at BCV this past June and that came through on a wait list.

I actually booked a 1 bedroom at VWL in Dec 2015 for June 2016 on a cash ressie but we ended up changing it to SSR, but to me that just shows there was availability.

Any experiences?

I'm not a DVC owner so I'll defer to the experts on booking with points. But, I have stayed on a cash reservation, using the Military discount, and was able to view availability both online and by calling and book more than 7 months out, I think I did this at least 9 months out.

The rules for booking with points Vs. cash are different. Cash also includes daily housekeeping and the ability to apply applicable discounts, add requests yourself and more easily make reservation changes.

DW and I will be staying at the WL Jan. 26 - 30. Our "home" resort (YC) will be going through a refurb at that time as well which is why we are taking this opportunity to stay at the Lodge. Not worried about the construction, just hoping some of those areas previously mentioned as closed or blocked off will be opened back up by then. Looking forward to that 4th and 5th floor seating area in front of a fire place in January. Thanks for all the information Kook, I'll be spending the next few months reading through it all.
Katesdad

I hope those areas are open by the time you visit, @Katesdad and I'll add your dates to the Lodgers' Log:)

Last edited:
I have family who will be staying CL level during Labor Day wk. they have asked me what rooms might have a view of fireworks and/or might be near elevator. I have stayed CL but not since all the construction so not sure what is now available. They were planing on doing a room request through TP. Does anyone who has stayed recently have a room recommendation?

I have family who will be staying CL level during Labor Day wk. they have asked me what rooms might have a view of fireworks and/or might be near elevator. I have stayed CL but not since all the construction so not sure what is now available. They were planing on doing a room request through TP. Does anyone who has stayed recently have a room recommendation?
The only club level rooms that are open right now are the rooms on the north side of the lodge. They can ask for a fireworks view and they should get a pretty good one, especially since most of the trees have been chopped down. Only the courtyard view rooms wouldn't have a fireworks view.

What can y'all tell me about king beds at Wilderness Lodge? We booked a standard view room but I called in and requested a king. (I understand it is a just a request and not guaranteed)
I've tried using the touring plans room finder but couldn't get any results. What do you think the realistic chances of me getting a king are and where will it most likely be located? Also, does making room requests during online check in negate the call in request? Our ideal room would be 5th floor with a king bed, but I don't want the 5th floor request to cancel out the king bed.
Thanks!!

So I already jumped ship on WL. :rotfl: I was able to get a special rate at the Boardwalk Inn so I switched. But I see you also run that thread WDWKOOK so I'll see you over there! ;)

To anyone worried about the boarded up look of the lobby: I had to point it out to my husband- he didn't notice it on his own. Though someone who has been there before might notice it much easier. Not a deal breaker for us anyway.

What can y'all tell me about king beds at Wilderness Lodge? We booked a standard view room but I called in and requested a king. (I understand it is a just a request and not guaranteed)
I've tried using the touring plans room finder but couldn't get any results. What do you think the realistic chances of me getting a king are and where will it most likely be located? Also, does making room requests during online check in negate the call in request? Our ideal room would be 5th floor with a king bed, but I don't want the 5th floor request to cancel out the king bed.
Thanks!!

As you have found, the Touring Plans Room Finder tool is extremely inaccurate when it comes to room types and room amenities.

There are King rooms spread out through out the resort. Yes, there are some on the 5th floor.

Thinking about booking CL here for late august. Someone told me the lounge has been moved... is it inconvenient to get to? This would be our first time ever at WDW period. Is there a page in this thread that addresses all of the construction?

To anyone worried about the boarded up look of the lobby: I had to point it out to my husband- he didn't notice it on his own. Though someone who has been there before might notice it much easier. Not a deal breaker for us anyway.

:rotfl: I was going to make the same post this evening! DD arrived last night and I asked her about it today when she called...she was like..."oh...that's right...the lobby has construction in it...I really didn't notice"! :thumbsup2 :tink:

Thinking about booking CL here for late august. Someone told me the lounge has been moved... is it inconvenient to get to? This would be our first time ever at WDW period. Is there a page in this thread that addresses all of the construction?

Welcome to the DIS and the thread, @tnfamily06 :)

The OFC lounge has been relocated from its dedicated South Wing lounge to its temporary North Wing VP Suite location. Since the entire South Wing is closed, the lounge is actually more convenient to get to since only rooms in the South Wing are occupied. However, Deluxe (CL) rooms are still only located on floors 1-6, not the 7th where the lounge is, but now only in the North Wing.

The CL chapter of this thread has more CL info. POST 3986, right on this page has the hyperlink, in BLUE, to the WL DVC Expansion thread which is dedicated to details and discussion about the "reimagining" of WL and VWL. The hyperlink is also at the top of POST 1 and in the NEWS section toward the bottom of POST 1. I highly recommend you review at least the first page so that you're aware of everything that is closed. Within that thread, toward the end, are recent construction photos. Two pages prior to this page (POST 3959), I posted the list of everything that is currently unavailable/closed at WL.

Seeing that you have NEVER even been to WDW, much less WL or Disney CL, I can't recommend staying at WL for your first-ever visit or any resort under major construction, until all the amenities have opened back up and you can fully experience your first WDW Resort. However, WL is at less than 50% occupancy, at most, since half of the resort is closed, so this makes for a much less crowded resort, dining and transportation.

Last edited:

Like @Wood Nymph posted, room options for CL are now pretty limited since the entire South Wing is closed and the OFC is only on one floor, the 7th. I assume they didn't book a Deluxe Room? Those rooms are also only available in the North Wing now, but on floors 1-6 only. So if they are booked in a Deluxe Room, they could add a floor request.

Since they're booked CL, I would recommend emailing the IPO and having them add their room location request to their reservation. There's no harm in having it also relayed via TP or fax, but it's a nice perk to have the IPO add it. Just make sure multiple requests match exactly so as not to confuse the Room Assignor.

So I already jumped ship on WL. :rotfl: I was able to get a special rate at the Boardwalk Inn so I switched. But I see you also run that thread WDWKOOK so I'll see you over there! ;)

Your ship sailed from Bay Lake to Crescent Lake, @jenny105, (and must have been hitched-up on land in between;)).

We just booked our February 2017 trip.

Congratulations on booking, @yaksack.

We switched to WL Tuesday. I am hoping most of the resort will be accesible February 4.

It is highly unlikely, but I have no confirmed date for the re-opening of the South Wing nor the re-opening of closed amenities. I only know that in all of the official documents related to the expansion, I could only find an April 2017 date estimate, however, the actual permits don't expire until 2018. Hopefully, we'll have more info. soon.

Any idea if the lobby will be fully open by February 2017?

Please see my reply above. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited:

Any experiences?
I have done it twice in the past!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter