Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some people who book rooms, just to get fast passes at 60 days, with no intention of keeping them. Then once they are in their 30 day window they cancel the hotel reservation but they are able to keep their fast passes. I think this is what Disney is looking at stopping. I can see this being an big issue if they don't put a stop in place before Galaxy Edge opens.
Yep, some analyst just got their big bonus that brought a problem to the table that was over looked.

If I were to plan a 10 day stay, 5 days at resort A and 5 days at resort B I could make reservations 60 days out from the first day at resort A or 65 days out from the first day of resort B. Now, 30 days before my stay at resort A I drop resort A but keep my 5 days at resort B. Should I be able to keep all the FPs I made 65+ days out?

I didn't know how serious people were about their FP's and the scamming that was happening before this news broke. I always thought that more hotel rooms opened up inside the 30 day window because people didn't get their trip payed off. Now, I know there is another element added to it. Also, I for those who have already booked FPs and couldn't get SDD or FOP make sure you get on MDE all this week I am sure times will become available now. :)

Last edited:
I’ll be curious to see how this shakes out after the 30-day window. There are times that I cancel a room res within 30 days because I need to save $$ by staying offsite, or not staying overnight at all and making it a day trip (I’m local-ish). My AP gives me access to FP within 30 days on its own, but what if I booked my FPs at 40 days out, because my room reservation allowed me to, and I cancel my room at 28 days - do my FPs still get canceled & I’ll need to start over? Or do they stay because I’m within my AP 30-day window? That could get confusing if Disney doesn’t explain it well.
I am not confused. You book FP at 40 days using your resort advantage. You cancel the room at 28 days. Your FP are canceled.

Your AP 30 day booking window has nothing to do with the resort advantage of 60 day booking window, so you are nto entitled to teh resort stay advantage.

If I were to plan a 10 day stay, 5 days at resort A and 5 days at resort B I could make reservations 60 days out from the first day at resort A or 65 days out from the first day of resort B. Now, 30 days before my stay at resort A I drop resort A but keep my 5 days at resort B. Should I be able to keep all the FPs I made 65+ days out?

No. If the FP’s you got were as a result of a resort reservation you cancelled, they delete them. What you describe is exactly what they’re stopping.

I wasn’t trying to. We booked a split stay specifically because the first 3 days are up in the air depending on when our school district decides to make up bad weather days. We knew there was a possibility of not being able to come until the CBR stay and didn’t want to risk losing the discount we had by having to cancel and rebook. So I THOUGHT I was doing the smart thing by making it a split stay, but now if we do have to cancel those first 3 days and that results In Disney canceling all of the FPs including the ones for the CB stay,we are up a creek.

This is one specific scenario, but they’re are many involving split stays, DVC etc. where a front portion of a trip may have to be altered or canceled.
I mentioned earlier that I had an ASMu reservation, waiting for a DVC waitlist to come through which did a few days ago. Seeing this post yesterday I went ahead and cancelled the ASMu reservation, earlier than I wanted since the days dont match up exactly. Since the fastpasses were made with the ASMu reservation i wasnt sure if the system would see that we have a DVC reservation as well. In other words, are the fastpasses connected to the room reservation or the MDE account? We still need a room for our first night but I cancelled so I would have time to hopefully straighten it out over a weekend
Last weekend I waited 45 minutes on hold for DVC member services. Anyway, I cancelled yesterday and our fastpasses are still there. I've been checking hourly, lol.

We are here now. Original plan was to come for ten days and do a split stay all of which is onsite. Work got in the way (think government shutdown) and we had to cut the trip to seven days.

I made FPs based on our original arrival day, but three weeks ago cancelled the first leg of our split stay.

Will all my FPs get deleted while I’m here?

I know this has probably been talked about, but I wonder what will happen if my wait list comes in as a DVC owner.

I think as long as you have a room reservation number linked in MDE the system won't flag you and take away your fastpasses. I've sometimes had the waitlisted reservation number automatically added to MDE but that hasn't always been the case. There have been times when I had to manually enter it.

I really doubt that. Making people pay for fastpasses would kill the whole staying on property for 6 or more days in order to get the good (FoP, SDD, 7DMT, etc) fastpass scheme. $1000+ in hotel reservations and park tickets is worth a whole lot more than $50 a day for paid fastpass.

I don't see a pay for play FP either. I think Disney is trying to up their game in terms of keeping people onsite, and if they close one loophole, but then make it more expensive to use an onsite advantage, I believe they will pay fo rthat by needed to offer more discounts to fill rooms.

I do think that there may be more hard ticket events or additional add on's to compensate for some of the more difficult FP' s once GE opens, but I do not see that as a FP cost.

what good does a two day grace period do if you have to cancel part of a split stay? I currently have an 8 day trip planned. 3 at YC then 5 at CB. If I make FP at 60days from the YC stay and then have to cancel and only do the 5 days at CB what happens? And what good is a 2 day grace period if I have to cancel?

The grace period is not to assist in keeping FP that are outside of your resort stay. It is to provide time to change from one resort to another. In your situation, you keep the passes that fall under the CB stay and lose the passes booked under the YC reservation. If you decided to move YC to a different resort, you would have 2 days in which to do so before your FP were canceled.

I know this has probably been talked about, but I wonder what will happen if my wait list comes in as a DVC owner.
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a stay booked at an AllStar resort for my waitlisted days. If the waitlist comes thru, I'll be canceling the AllStar reservation. I'm already inside the 60-day window but I set my waitlist up to keep checking until 7 days prior to arrival. FP have been made for the entire stay. If the waitlist comes thru on T-8 days and I cancel the AllStar reservation, I hope the FPs don't disappear because by then, not much will be available.

I think it isn’t fully clear what would happen since you would still have some on site stay booked (we don’t know the exact details of how it is check) but in theory if this was one booking an md you just shortened your stay then they would stay because you still have part of your reservation there that triggered you being able to book those FP - or at the very least the FP you have for when you are there for your resort B time, even though you were able to book them earlier because of the first part of your congruent stay. Depends how they check to know to cancel them (based on when you booked them or based on the day they are scheduled for)

If it was booked as two sepearate bookings then I think they would all be deleted but if it is two parts to the same booking at least some should stay (I think) - because it would be the same as having 20 days at one resort but then shortening your stay ... it shouldn’t matter if you switch resorts midway or not

We are here now. Original plan was to come for ten days and do a split stay all of which is onsite. Work got in the way (think government shutdown) and we had to cut the trip to seven days.

I made FPs based on our original arrival day, but three weeks ago cancelled the first leg of our split stay.

I’d never say never but I really don’t think so - my guess is this would apply to new reservations only

I mentioned earlier that I had an ASMu reservation, waiting for a DVC waitlist to come through which did a few days ago. Seeing this post yesterday I went ahead and cancelled the ASMu reservation, earlier than I wanted since the days dont match up exactly. Since the fastpasses were made with the ASMu reservation i wasnt sure if the system would see that we have a DVC reservation as well. In other words, are the fastpasses connected to the room reservation or the MDE account? We still need a room for our first night but I cancelled so I would have time to hopefully straighten it out over a weekend
Last weekend I waited 45 minutes on hold for DVC member services. Anyway, I cancelled yesterday and our fastpasses are still there. I've been checking hourly, lol.

I think the idea is that now they are just connected to the MDE and having the on-site room opens up being able to book FPs at 60days to your MDE - but this will change t and attach them moreso to the resort stay. In your case (and I know DVC can be treated differently at times) but in theory if you cancel ASMu andbthen within two days replace it with a DVC stay then you should be good

I would think that depends on if this is retroactive or just for reservations made and cancelled 2/4 and beyond. Going just by what they’re saying, they would cancel any Fp’s that were a result of a cancelled booking. I don’t think there’s any question that they would be cancelled for a booking beyond 2/4 in which you cancelled a portion of your stay. My guess is, this won’t be retroactive and only applied to future reservations.

But there is enough wrong with their statements about what happened pre-2/4 that it's hard to trust what they say will happen after. It didn't matter when you cancelled pre-2/4, the FPs never went away. You could cancel at T-minus 59 and the FPs were not cancelled.
Thank you - that is exactly the point I was trying to make, but apparently failed entirely, based on replies!

I can assure folks, I get it, and I have no issue with the proposed change. I hope it does help ppl like me, who can’t usually book FPs at 60 days, though I have serious doubts that it will. I can also say with assurance that I understand because I’m a DISer and pay attention to this stuff: the average FL passholder is way more in the dark, so if this isn’t explained well and prominently by Disney, there will be confusion.

....Tack on a 3 night minimum and you could be looking at $300! That should start to discourage anyone who isn’t truly interested in camping......
I disagree. Look at how much a DAH event costs per person and people pay it. From between $95 to $129 depending on discounts and same day ticket. Times 4 family members really adds up!

I also understand that a booking is a booking whether at a value hotel or a campsite. But with 5 “value” hotels there are what close to 4000 rooms available? Compared to maybe 200 basic campsites?! Either way, I hope this is one step closer to fixing the problem!
I just went on to mock book a campsite for each day of my upcoming May trip, one day at a time to see availability. There are campsites, all levels, available for the whole week from Monday to Thursday. If there are only 200 basic campsites, there is availability at three months. I would think most people wanting to camp would have their plans set at three months before their trip and if they are last minute bookers then why would it be unacceptable for someone to book a campsite as a throwaway room before the last minute planner makes their reservation? Disney is not going to "hold" availability in case someone wants to use a room or campsite down the line. I think the bigger issue is that people just don't like it, but it doesn't break rules and obviously isn't affecting availability, at least for the week I'm looking at, at 12 weeks prior to a trip. Or maybe the addition of the good neighbor hotels has made it easier to book a campsite?

Disney is fixing the real problem...which is the 60 day fastpass and dash.

I didn't know how serious people were about their FP's and the scamming that was happening before this news broke. I always thought that more hotel rooms opened up inside the 30 day window because people didn't get their trip payed off. Now, I know there is another element added to it. Also, I for those who have already booked FPs and couldn't get SDD or FOP make sure you get on MDE all this week I am sure times will become available now. :)
I honestly didn't know that people did it either. I knew about throwaway rooms, but not all this other stuff where people are getting things they didn't pay for. But I'm also the one who didn't know about the great magic band scandal from two years ago until AFTER they closed that loophole too.

I think as long as you have a room reservation number linked in MDE the system won't flag you and take away your fastpasses. I've sometimes had the waitlisted reservation number automatically added to MDE but that hasn't always been the case. There have been times when I had to manually enter it.
This is important. I went into MDE and linked my DVC reservations before cancelling my ASMu stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter