Disney to cancel FPs if room is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think will happen to 'umbrella'd' FPs? (I know we are all speculating with the few details we have at this point, but I think you are on the right track and I've been wondering about the "FP umbrella").
I view umbrella’d FPs as another example of an exploitable policy or frank loophole (just like this thread, good-for-a-month rider swaps, change party, etc) whose days are numbered...

I view umbrella’d FPs as another example of an exploitable policy or frank loophole (just like this thread, good-for-a-month rider swaps, change party, etc) whose days are numbered...

Disboard's overall "vibe" seems to be that umbrella is intended (at least in the FP threads). But yeah, I have to wonder... I spent some time looking for mention of it on Disney's website and no luck. I've used the umbrella, but after reading about these changes coming, I am starting to think "the umbrella" was never intended to work the way it works (like almost all of MDE). This new policy sounds like it will definitely impact any umbrella'd FPs.

Your comment, as I understood it (which means I could have missunderstood it) was that someone would purposefully book for 3 additional days than they would be there AND that they would cancel those 3 additional days. I wasn't framing it in terms of what action Disney would actually do (I don't know that Disney wants to get that nitty gritty right now in terms of implementation) I was framing it as that would be wrong to do that. It seemed that type of behavior was what Disney is aiming to curb where people book, get benefits and then cancel the reservation (and in the case of your comments it was a portion of the reservation they were cancelling).

Your initial comment isn't an issue because there is nothing wrong with staying onsite and not going to the parks, or staying onsite and not going to the theme parks literally every day of your resort reservation.

ah gotcha, yeah, I would definitely consider that "not cool" - I was thinking more that is what people could do now to still game the system / that this change wouldn't prevent that (not that I would agree with the practice of doing it)

I'm still confused. If I book a reservation from July 1-4 and another from July 4-8, I could book all those days 60 days before July 1. If I later cancel the July 1-4 reservation then I was able to cheat the system by making the July 4-8 fast passes early. How did they close the loophole if they don't cancel my July 4-8 FPs? Is this simply aimed at off-site people trying to game the 60 day window? Because I don't see how it stops my first example.

I'm still confused. If I book a reservation from July 1-4 and another from July 4-8, I could book all those days 60 days before July 1. If I later cancel the July 1-4 reservation then I was able to cheat the system by making the July 4-8 fast passes early. How did they close the loophole if they don't cancel my July 4-8 FPs? Is this simply aimed at off-site people trying to game the 60 day window? Because I don't see how it stops my first example.
I think so. If the July 4-8 has your tickets associated with it then I am thinking the fast passes won't get cancelled. But I am not 100% sure just yet.

Just speculation at this point, but best guess is that only the loophole for the offsite guest in your example will be closed.

I don't think the July 1-4 reservation is considered a throwaway because you cancel it. I am still trying to figure all the terms exactly out and what can be said and not.

Just speculation at this point, but best guess is that only the loophole for the offsite guest in your example will be closed.
I think your right, but can't figure out what else will be closed. What other loop holes?

Are we thinking that umbrella fast passes will be impacted starting on Monday too?

When an onsite stay opens the FP booking window (at 60 days), as of right now, you can book FPs for any profile in your MDE or any profile you are friends with (as long as you have someone in the room within the FP party). Basically, it opens the window for everyone within your MDE, room or not.
Ok, I don't think that would ever effect me. I am not even going to try to understand that any further.

This is to close the loophole if you had a reservation from July 1-4, booked your FP at 60+10 days out and then cancelled that reservation and stayed off site. Currently those FP wouldn't be cancelled but going forward if you don't replace it with another stay on site they would be

Technically I guess they could see when you booked your FP and if based on your current reservation you would have booked them earlier than you *should* have been able to they could cancel them (so based on when booked, not for when you have them) but I don't think this is what the change is aimed at

Disney typically does not let you drop days off a reservation like that any more. They do on exception sometimes, but for the last few years it has required complete rebooking.
FWIW, I just did this a couple weeks ago for CBR. I dropped 3 days off the back end. MDE on my browser was going to let me do it, but it wanted to bump up my room rate. So I had to call so I could keep the old room rate and drop the 3 days.

For that matter, I also dropped a day off the front end but that was before the 60 day point/FP+ window opened. That one I called on also for the same reason - room rate.

When I know the approximate time I will be going to WDW and find a good rate, I typically book extra days on the front end and/or back end to give me some flexibility before locking down my dates. I booked CBR back in October I think. I have a conference in Tampa and I did not know the schedule for the conference (i.e., the specific days I would need to attend). So I booked the extra days at CBR. When the firm conference dates and schedule was announced in December, I dropped a day off the front of CBR. I was aware I could have kept that day until after my 60 days FP window, booked my FPs, and then dropped the day. But like others have said, that is cheating the system and I do not want to do that.

This thread would have affected my business colleague going to the conference. He had his own room at a different WDW hotel, and I thought DS22 was going to come with me so I had my own CBR room for us. I had added my colleague as family & friends so we could get FPs together. When DS22 decided he could not come, and my colleague and I already our FPs, I invited my colleague to stay with me and drop his own room. So he canceled that and I added him to my room reservation. That worked perfectly on MDE but I was concerned his FP would get lost in the mix. It didn't.

I guess with this change in policy in this thread, we would have to call Disney so he would not lose his FPs when canceling a room but switching into my room? :scratchin

:wizard:

This is to close the loophole if you had a reservation from July 1-4, booked your FP at 60+10 days out and then cancelled that reservation and stayed off site. Currently those FP wouldn't be cancelled but going forward if you don't replace it with another stay on site they would be
Ok, now this makes sense. Is this when people will book and pay for one night at a camp site with say a 4 day ticket and then stay off site but be able to book the fast passes for like the next week?

Ok, now this makes sense. Is this when people will book and pay for one night at a camp site with say a 4 day ticket and then stay off site but be able to book the fast passes for like the next week?
They would have to have all nights booked not just 1 night to make FP's 60 + days out.
You can only make FP's for nights you are staying on site plus day of departure...60+ days out...

Last edited:
Well I am going to bed now, I should understand all this better than what I do but I am figuring it out more at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter