Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun - 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updates to Security Screening Procedures at Disney World Theme Parks Could Lead to Longer Lines

Within the past few weeks, Disney has been making operational adjustments to the security screening procedure at its theme park checkpoints. Leadership changes within the department have resulted in new procedures.

While we will not detail the changes, the managers that we spoke with have indicated that there could be an increase in wait times as a result. Guests visiting the theme parks are encouraged to follow the verbal directions of the security Cast Members at the checkpoints who are trained in the newer procedures and will be able to offer the best advice when it comes to balancing safety and efficiency.

While it was not uncommon to see long lines during peak crowds, this change will affect all times of the year. Essentially, we’re told to pack your patience as Cast Members work through the changes and Disney makes adjustments.

Bork! Full cavity searches all around!

I saw reports of hour long waits at security yesterday!

Which park?

I assume they don't want to share the details of the security procedure to prevent people from thinking about ways to bypass them.

It's the same reason you aren't allowed to film the screening procedure at Disney, Universal or airports and the like.
This makes sense, thanks!

Is there a genie+ option for this?
I know this is a joke, but people believe stuff like this. This week I saw someone asked if there's a way to use DAS to not wait for the buses. It took them so long to finally understand what people were saying in explaining the wait for the buses is based solely on the distance the bus is from the location the bus is picking you up.

Dazzling New Nighttime Spectacular ‘Momentous’ Debuting June 2022 at Hong Kong Disneyland

When Hong Kong Disneyland first unveiled the completed Castle of Magical Dreams in 2020, they promised a new nighttime show would follow in the future. Now, the park is finally ready to debut the new show “Momentous” next month!

HKDL_Momentous-Creative-Reveal_Castle_Night-2-1200x675.jpg

I've had an AP for many, many years. I can't recall how long ago this change happened but its not recent. Kind of silly to use this for an excuse now.
I pulled out my AP cards from 2018 and 2019. Neither had a printed date, but I remember the CM writing it on the back in Sharpie.
Between an older phone and clunky wi-fi it took about ten minutes to bring it up on screen. It was not convenient at all.
It's too bad technology doesn't exist that you could print a bar code or even put a chip in the AP card. Then you would just have to scan or tap it at the register to verify it was still good. They could even give you something to wear on your wrist that you could tab...

Oh wait... :lmao:

j

If you already have an Annual Pass/DVC, is it worth it to get a Disney Visa? Or would a card like Discover or Apple be better?
The Annual Pass has better discounts than a Disney Visa. My husband has a regular Disney Visa card, with no annual fee, but it only gives 1% cash back on purchases. I can save more money by buying Disney gift cards with a 5% discount from Target or using my Capital One card with 1-1/2% cash back.

Typhoon Lagoon to Host First-Ever Surfing Competition for 2022 Special Olympics This June

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park will play host to the surfing competition for the 2022 Special Olympics this June. This is the first time that surfing has been offered at the Special Olympics. Here’s a look at the surfing competition schedule, which will take place before the park opens and after the park closes:

• June 6, 2022 6:30 am – 9:30 am
  • June 7, 2022 6:30 am – 9:30 am
  • June 8, 2022 6:00 pm – 11:00 pm

The Annual Pass has better discounts than a Disney Visa. My husband has a regular Disney Visa card, with no annual fee, but it only gives 1% cash back on purchases. I can save more money by buying Disney gift cards with a 5% discount from Target or using my Capital One card with 1-1/2% cash back.
The best deal I have found for me is to purchase at Sam's but specifically like this:
  • $50 increment online for $47.98 (4.1% savings)
  • $75 increment in store for I don't remember how much exactly but I get (4.1% savings)
  • ANYTHING LARGER AT SAM'S AND YOUR VALUE DECREASES
  • I use a MC that gives me 2% back on anything and anywhere for a total of 5.9% savings

Magic Kingdom at Capacity for Fourth of July

According to the Disney Park Pass calendar, all ticket types are currently unable to make a Disney Park Pass reservation for Magic Kingdom on July 4th. The rush to make a Park Pass reservation comes after Disney confirmed that Fourth of July fireworks would return to the park for the first time since 2019.

Screen-Shot-2022-05-25-at-11.15.58-AM.png
Screen-Shot-2022-05-25-at-11.16.17-AM-2000x1124.png

It’s also possible that reservations will reopen for Magic Kingdom between now and July 4th, and we always encourage guests to keep checking the reservation calendar periodically.

Port Canaveral Preps For Arrival of Disney Wish

The Disney Wish will start whisking passengers away on magical sailings from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas beginning on July 14th.

According to a piece in today’s Orlando Sentinel, the port will be opening the Jetty Park to crowds on June 20th to welcome the vessel as it arrives from its transatlantic crossing. The Wish is expected to arrive between 4-7 am on the 20th when it will dock at both Cruise Terminals 8 and 10.
Another special event at Port Canaveral for the Disney Wish will also take place on June 29th. We’re told that this event will be the ships christening which is happening ahead of a 4-night preview cruise for members of the media and travel agents.

In the memo, which the Sentinel had access to, special site installations will happen at the terminal from June 16-28 including bleachers, stage setup, audio towers, light towers, video walls, tents, special effects and more! It sounds like quite the celebration.

Showbot interactive atmosphere entertainment coming to EPCOT's World Discovery

Showbot looks set to make a return to Walt Disney World alongside the opening of Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind.
iCan Robot overview
No word yet on specific times, or exactly which Showbot will be appearing, but we understand the interactive atmosphere entertainment offering will be roaming around World Discovery starting May 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!