Disney Genie+ and ILL$ Details & FAQ - Launches 10/19 at WDW, Paid "FastPass" at WDW and Disneyland (date TBD)

I agree that there really isn't a way for anyone to check on them (baring an investigation), all I'm saying is that no business puts plan/ policy in place knowing that the goal is to deceive their consumers.

Oh, I agree. I think some people want to see all of this as the evil money-grubbing executives trying to take everything they can by any means necessary - but they're only half right. There are lines that wouldn't be crossed, and I do think Disney still cares about guest experience - it's just that people have different ideas of what that means. They are responding to economic realities and guest behavior. We have taught them what is acceptible. The evil money-grubbing executives DO want to take your money though, but it's not really as malicious as some make it out to be.

You couldn't pull any time you wanted with MaxPass either. Yes, tehre has been no mention of stacking, but most seem to think this will be an unadvertized feature, at least when you end up pulling one for much later in the day. I think the new system will try to avoid that anyway, so it may be moot anyway. Yes, tehre has been some general moaning about Genie+ but overall I think it has been well received - don't use the DIS as the barometer. And again, even if people do complain, if they still pay for it, which I believe they will, then it doesn't much matter. Guests at other parks pay for it already, though I do believe part of the "Disney Difference" was that they didn't charge for such things, I also can't really blame them. It's fair to criticise them on that of course, but there's also no need to calim doom and gloom about it either. We'll just see how it goes.

i feel like the bolded is key, i think the Dis is for the minority of guests, it's for the hardcore fans, and with that, there is extreme reactions to anything Disney does, it will be hard to get a feel for how Genie does until it actually gets launched. I still can't believe how many people hate a system (to the point of calling out all of its "issues") before it has even launched. In the end, i think a lot of guests will ultimately take advantage of anything that could make their vacation more enjoyable (including genie), and to assume that somehow all guests will come together to push back against Disney instead of doing what's best (shorter lines, guaranteed access to hard to get rides) for their family on vacation is a little nutty.

I guess that if you and a few others keep repeating that Genie+ has been well-received elsewhere (I have yet to see where-of you speak), that some people will just blindly accept that as truth and fall in line with your way of thinking.

If Genie+ is just MaxPass, then why was MaxPass replaced? Why replace it with a completely new system? The answer: $

If it is being offered to "enhance the guest experience", where does it leave the guest who can't afford to fork over even more money than they already spent? I'm betting that their experience will not also be enhanced.

And if enough guests purchase Genie+ (because, as you predict, it will be so very popular), then we're right back to the FP+ days where if everybody has FP, nobody has FP.

I guess that if you and a few others keep repeating that Genie+ has been well-received elsewhere (I have yet to see where-of you speak), that some people will just blindly accept that as truth and fall in line with your way of thinking.

If Genie+ is just MaxPass, then why was MaxPass replaced? Why replace it with a completely new system? The answer: $

If it is being offered to "enhance the guest experience", where does it leave the guest who can't afford to fork over even more money than they already spent? I'm betting that their experience will not also be enhanced.

And if enough guests purchase Genie+ (because, as you predict, it will be so very popular), then we're right back to the FP+ days where if everybody has FP, nobody has FP.

To counter your points above:

A company is ALWAYS doing anything and everything for $

By your logic Disney should be offering free trips to anyone that has a hard time paying their high prices, because they deserve a good experience at Disney as well, or maybe they need to drop food prices at high end restaurants to give their guests better experiences as well. it's understandable that you do not like the idea of Genie, but to just poo poo it because it costs money, (a move that aligns them with their peers) is where you lose me

I believe that the logic being built into Genie+ will change the way FP used to work, i think a lot of people keep saying this, but Disney has been countering that logic if you read how Genie is supposed to work

I didn't say it was "well received" anywhere, I said that there hasn't been that extreme of a backlash. Sure Disney fan communities won't like it, but overall it hasn't been making a lot of waves. You act like there are protestors chaining themselves to FP kiosks - that's just not happening. I think the general mood is that of resignment - don't love it but oh well.

I do think MaxPass paved the way for Genie+ as the tech seems to be the same. They are making some tweaks, sure, but I'm just saying htat MaxPass was generally well received. We don't know all the nuances yet - we didn't with MaxPass either before it launched.

Like it or not, this is an enhancement for money. If you don't pay then you won't receive the benefits. Again, this is normal at every other theme park.

Look, would I prefer FP saty free? Of course! Actually, I'd prefer FP stay GONE, but that's another matter entirely. You seem to want to argue until I agree to hate Genie+ however I prefer to just accept it and see how it goes. If it really becomes a disaster, then they will make corrections. Otherwise, I just have to decide for me if I want to use it or not - we shall see.

I didn't say it was "well received" anywhere, I said that there hasn't been that extreme of a backlash. Sure Disney fan communities won't like it, but overall it hasn't been making a lot of waves. You act like there are protestors chaining themselves to FP kiosks - that's just not happening. I think the general mood is that of resignment - don't love it but oh well.
every single disney group...official or unofficial that i follow on social media, the backlash has been severe.

ehh...i'll say after what they put guests through this summer, its hard to say they value guest experience.

Well, it doesn't mean that they never get caught with their pants down. I certainly don't think they wanted things to go that way - it was certainly a bad look.

ehh...i'll say after what they put guests through this summer, its hard to say they value guest experience.

When were they supposed to do all of this? No matter when they did the changes to DME, FP+, and annual passes, people were going to be upset. That said, a business that stays stagnant loses money. People seem to want Disney to invest in their parks with new experiences, without raising prices. I think most of this was on the horizon and they used an unfortunate event to put it all in place at once, knowing it was going to take some time for people to get over it and to figure out the issues they have with these changes. After a year or so, you will see adjustments like discounts on Genie+ or an annual pass add on for the year. You will see a return of some kind of airport transfer option and other ways to discount we haven't even thought of yet.

every single disney group...official or unofficial that i follow on social media, the backlash has been severe.

The key there is Disney Groups. Those are groups of people that travel there regularly and don't want the change. The overwhelming majority of Disney World guests are first time or very infrequent travelers. That is who all of these changes are aiming for. The people who didn't know about FP+ reservations 60 days out that showed up at parks and couldn't get fastpasses for any top ride. The people who probably didn't even realize what Magical Express was, so didn't use it anyways. Those are the people all of these changes will benefit in the long run. Will Disney take a hit with their loyal fanbases in the meantime? Of course, but I think they believe that there will be 2 happy people to take the place of every 1 unhappy one that decides to never return.

When were they supposed to do all of this? No matter when they did the changes to DME, FP+, and annual passes, people were going to be upset. That said, a business that stays stagnant loses money. People seem to want Disney to invest in their parks with new experiences, without raising prices. I think most of this was on the horizon and they used an unfortunate event to put it all in place at once, knowing it was going to take some time for people to get over it and to figure out the issues they have with these changes. After a year or so, you will see adjustments like discounts on Genie+ or an annual pass add on for the year. You will see a return of some kind of airport transfer option and other ways to discount we haven't even thought of yet.
some form of fast pass could have, and should have been brought back for the summer.
Are the trams back yet? i know when we went in June, i had to walk around the premium parking at AK to get to the front gate.....

As far as prices, i understand prices need to increase over time. i'm not ok with paying for service that were included in the prices before.

The key there is Disney Groups. Those are groups of people that travel there regularly and don't want the change. The overwhelming majority of Disney World guests are first time or very infrequent travelers. That is who all of these changes are aiming for. The people who didn't know about FP+ reservations 60 days out that showed up at parks and couldn't get fastpasses for any top ride. The people who probably didn't even realize what Magical Express was, so didn't use it anyways. Those are the people all of these changes will benefit in the long run. Will Disney take a hit with their loyal fanbases in the meantime? Of course, but I think they believe that there will be 2 happy people to take the place of every 1 unhappy one that decides to never return.
I buy that the majority of people that go to disney are first timers, i dont buy they arent upset by this either. I know i have heard from 2 families that had never been before, and canceled trips for next year because of Genie+.

There's too much word of mouth advertising both good and bad for disney, that they've heard about this as well.

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

As far as prices, i understand prices need to increase over time. i'm not ok with paying for service that were included in the prices before.

what you're saying is Disney should never offer perks, because the moment they make a change to them, or get rid of them guests would be in an uproar. so what would be the point of rolling them out in the first place. It is a "perk" we're talking about, not a right

Sorry for the pop-in on this thread, but has there been any rumors when Genie+ is going into effect? We are going to be there Oct 10-16. Hoping to avoid being in that gap between no virtual boarding group for ROTR and no genie (being able to buy onto ROTR because we’ve never been on it).

Sorry for the pop-in on this thread, but has there been any rumors when Genie+ is going into effect? We are going to be there Oct 10-16. Hoping to avoid being in that gap between no virtual boarding group for ROTR and no genie (being able to buy onto ROTR because we’ve never been on it).

There's nothing too specific, but soon-ish. Unfortunately you are right in the timeframe of when it could, but may not. You'll also be in the guinea-pig group. I know how it is (I arrive October 16 myself). Good luck with Rise - honestly I like that it will have stand-by better than VQ. Try to go at rope-drop if you can. On the plus side, if there is no Lightning Lane access yet, the line should move fast as it will eat people pretty well - if it doesn't break down anyway.

I think the general consensus is sometime in the next 2 weeks but nothing official has been said.

I can afford to pay it & most likely will if it I think it adds value. But, I won’t spend more money. I have a certain amount I feel comfortable spending per trip. So, our next 3 trips will be offsite. The ridiculous room prices are far worse IMO than genie plus. We have recently started driving to the parks even when we stay onsite b/c transportation is often a nightmare. So, b/c of that we discovered being offsite is much much cheaper & better value for us.

what you're saying is Disney should never offer perks, because the moment they make a change to them, or get rid of them guests would be in an uproar. so what would be the point of rolling them out in the first place. It is a "perk" we're talking about, not a right
That’s not what I’m saying at all. I never said anything was a right. Please don’t put words in my mouth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter