• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dish Network Deals for existing customers?

weluvdizne

Mouseketeer
I called Dish Network today, to ask if they had any deals they could offer us, since I keep seeing specials offered by Direct TV, and thought maybe they would offer us a special promo to stay with them. Yeah, nice thought! After speaking with two different reps, I was told no. The second guy kept telling me that I'd get a good rate with Direct TV for a short time, just to switch and then their rates would be higher than Dish after that. I told him that is basically where I stand with Dish right now, since we are past our initial promo period. Since I got nowhere with him, and he started to give me attitude, I told him that my husband would now be calling Direct TV to start the process to switch our service. Even that threat didn't make him offer any discounts.

I know, the easiest way to trim the bill would be to cut back on service or get rid of it completely, but for many reasons, that's just not a realistic option right now. I have heard of so many people getting their bills lowered just by calling and asking for a discount. So, I thought I'd try it, too.
So, I'm wondering if anyone here has had any luck getting their bill lowered. If so, how did you do it, and by how much was is lowered? I think that they way overcharge for the programming anyway, especially given the number of commercials on tv these days.

I feel like my dishnetwork is the best deal around- maybe you have too big a package and can cut back? they don't mess around - and figure if you want cheaper,you'll go elsewhere. At least that's my experience, unless you are willing to cut off service,they won't be offering you anything. seriously, we pay 36.00 per month for one dvr box that works on 2 tvs(handy for recording/watching with the family plan-can't find it cheaper here!

We've had them for well over 10 years....never had an issue, sometimes trimmed our service back and sometimes had the whole kit and kaboodle LOL Last year I called to cut it off and they offered me a few months free if I stayed......we didn't take advantage of it but stayed anyway.

Last month one of our satellite parts went bad in a storm and we lost 1/2 our channels :( We did everything we could to fix it, called their service department and ran through all the steps to fix it. Nothing worked, but for around 100.00 they said they could replace it....not in our budget right now. We decided to just cut it off...they didn't offer us anything. Well, I take that back....they said they could add the service plan for 7.00 a month and then come out for 15.00 for the service call LOL We went ahead and cut it off....had paid a month ahead so they issued us a refund. A week later they sent us a 'deal' in the mail....some free movie channels and an upgraded receiver (DVR)....not really helpful when it's our satellite and not receivers that are messed up LOL

Oh well...it's been really quiet around here without it (nice) and we're getting more use out of the pool this year...so that's been really nice and relaxing. By the time winter gets here we'll be considered 'new' subscribers and maybe we'll qualify for something then if we decide to even get it back.

Oh and I know how you feel...my dad called in to cut his off and they offered him a cheaper rate for a year. He called in to cancel his Sirius and they offered him 7.99 a month for a year...when we cut ours off....offered nothing LOL

We had Dish for several years, and wanted to upgrade to DVRs. We got one of the flyers for new customers in the mail advertising all the goodies. I called and asked for the same thing and they initially said no. I reminded them I'd been a good customer for several years, and that I felt like I was being punished for being loyal. It took probably 30 minutes of explaining my case, but they finally gave me what I wanted.

Last year we tried UVerse with AT&T and hated it, so we wanted to go back to Dish. They offered us DVRs that stored less hours than the ones we'd had for couple of years. They would only upgrade to the "good" ones for $200. I stood my ground and they offered it for $100 and finally after almost an hour of negotiating, I got them for free.

Every time it's been work, but so far it has always worked out fine in the long run. I just remind them I've been a good customer for many years, and that I always pay my bill on time (thank you auto-debit), and that I do have options like the cable company. I've often talked to at least 3 levels of employees before it's all over, because the first one or two don't have the right to make the changes I've asked for. I don't know if I'm a good negotiator, or lucky by being at the right place at the right time!

We have Directv and just recently came off the initial 2 year agreement. I knew that I could get a better rate, and tried talking with 2 different reps at 2 different times and nada. Oh sorry, they said $5 a month for 3 months... I don't think so! :laughing:

The next time I called I got the "retention" department, which is just a funny name for the cancellation department. Try asking for them. Or tell the person you talk with that you want to cancel. If it's an automated call (like Directv), just say "cancel my service" or press whatever number corresponds with cancelling it.

I went from paying $69.99/month to $43.99/month with FREE Showtime and Starz (21 channels) for 6 months. :thumbsup2

DirecTv has a very aggressive 'retention department'!

What have they given me since I tried to cut it off last September?

Disclaimer: I was not trying to get them to give me anything. I just wanted to get rid of it. We needed to conserve and this was one way to cut out $93 a month.

September 09 I want to cancel. They give me a $150 credit AND lowered the bill down to $55 a month and ALL channels including premium movie channels

November 09 I want to cancel. They suggest that we just suspend for up to 6 months. We suspend.

April 09 I want to cancel. They give me a $170 credit AND still have the lower bill and ALL channels including premium movie channels

But it's funny. We got Netflix for the streaming to fill the void of satellite. Since we have the satellite back, I really miss watching the old stuff on streaming. I am not sure what we will do when our credit runs out. I feel like they have such a financial investment in us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter