DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I find it interesting that the first day or two the new DAS rolled out, I was seeing pretty much only posts about being denied. Now that it’s been a few days I’m seeing mainly approved posts. I’m curious what has changed.

Are the CMs getting the hang of it now?
Are people who applied later giving more detailed information?

Who is a CM to say that those said 5 people didn't have a "serious" situation arise for leaving the line, can't assume, so yes, a party of 6 could technically get away with it if they want, they would have to be smart not to leave all at once or come back all at once

DAS hack, could potentially be replaced with using a sacrificial guest that does the bulk of the waiting in queues (want to go hardcore put a non-rider there, while riders are busy riding rides and show up and merge back) I'm sure abusers will master the AQR system to a T, and all the while disabled guests are taking the hit
There have been reports that half of the adults are required to stay in line, so for larger parties it would have to be more than a single “sacrificial guest”.

I find it interesting that the first day or two the new DAS rolled out, I was seeing pretty much only posts about being denied. Now that it’s been a few days I’m seeing mainly approved posts. I’m curious what has changed.

Where are you finding these? I’ve been relying on this forum to get feedback on how things are going but it’s mixed with so much other stuff in here that the reports are few and far between.

Curious for AQR, it sounds like at some rides if you leave the line you're given something on your ticket to let you re-enter using the Lightning Lane. Is this just a normal lightning lane similar to a rider swap lightning lane?

The "rule" is half the guests must remain - but if 2 of you are pushing your way back to the front of the line to talk to a CM, how does that CM know that there isn't anyone else in line for your party anymore?

This seems more ripe for abuse if everyone leaves the line rather than some of them leaving to go ride other rides. For example, party of 4, 1 adult and 1 child leave the line and say they need to use the restroom. 5 minutes later, the other adult and child leave the line and say they need to use the restroom. Both are granted Lightning Lanes to re-enter the queue and meet their party at the merge point. After waiting some time, all family members re-enter the line through Lightning Lane. If there is no 2nd scan at the merge point, they can just keep moving and onto the ride. If there is a 2nd scan at the merge point, its possible the CM there could hold them until their party arrives. But a lot of rides don't have a 2nd scan point.

I suppose Disney could look for this type of abuse in their system by looking at Friends and Family.

Not sure where you have collected your info on previous DAS users being turned away if late for a return time.
Since it opened, TRON has been very strict on the boarding window - even for DAS-users. As a VQ attraction you can't actually obtain a standard DAS Return Time; instead you obtain a VQ like everyone else and then once the boarding group is called you can convert it to DAS and enter through the LL. If your party arrives within that window and asks for an extension, it may be granted but you still need to arrive within the window. For TRON. All other VQ attractions are not strict on the return.

Last night we made the decision to go to MK today after the kids get out from school. At that time I realized the DAS had expired so today we renewed it

That was my post! Yes, all 5 should definitely be able to be part of the travel party and then swap out which 4 are in the riding party.
Thank you for clarifying. This would be absolutely fine for me. Just to get on a few rides with my nephew would be great. He chooses his riding partner and it’s one of the best parts of my Disney day to get chosen. Even VQ return lines are a no go for him, so DAS is it for us.

DAS hack, could potentially be replaced with using a sacrificial guest that does the bulk of the waiting in queues (want to go hardcore put a non-rider there, while riders are busy riding rides and show up and merge back) I'm sure abusers will master the AQR system to a T, and all the while disabled guests are taking the hit

While I can appreciate the creativity everyone has in coming up with hacks or potential abuses of AQR -- do you really think that's a helpful discussion? Abuse can and does happen to just about any process and I'm sure Disney knows that as well.

But my understanding is they will need to merge back to the rest of the party. If there is no one left in the party, or multiple groups trying to merge back with the same party, you don't think that would be noticed?

Curious for AQR, it sounds like at some rides if you leave the line you're given something on your ticket to let you re-enter using the Lightning Lane. Is this just a normal lightning lane similar to a rider swap lightning lane?

There are different procedures at the various attractions. Some may be digital, some may use a lanyard, some may use a password. I've even read a CM report that it could be a (guest generated) phone call to the waiting party.

There are different procedures at the various attractions. Some may be digital, some may use a lanyard, some may use a password. I've even read a CM report that it could be a (guest generated) phone call to the waiting party.
I really hope they streamline the procedures quickly, so that guests will know what to expect— in the cases where someone needs to leave the line rapidly.

Mine was a full package at The Contemporary with a theme park view. We were scheduled to arrive June 2nd. The CM on the phone had to speak with a supervisor a couple of times but I got a full refund.
Reading your story as a non-Das park visitor makes me furious for you. I have a lot of compassion for families with special needs children.

This denying people who had trips booked in mere weeks is inexcusable. It’s great they gave you a refund but this is terrible customer service.

Would having all the fees for ILL and Genie plus have helped make it workable? I am genuinely asking.

Disney’s management apparently has rocks for brains and I plan to write them after reading this thread and let them know they are being gross.

While I can appreciate the creativity everyone has in coming up with hacks or potential abuses of AQR -- do you really think that's a helpful discussion? Abuse can and does happen to just about any process and I'm sure Disney knows that as well.

But my understanding is they will need to merge back to the rest of the party. If there is no one left in the party, or multiple groups trying to merge back with the same party, you don't think that would be noticed?

Trust me, I can come up with an elaborate situation if needed to combat that situation, but for the sake of not wanting too many ideas to float around, I won't divulge my idea

And if we're coming up with these ideas after only a few days, the abusers have already come up with even better ideas and finding more potential loopholes. Yes maybe it won't be as easy, or as readily available, but there will be ways to curb around the new system, and I think that is what is disturbing, that others are being denied, and abusers can still potentially get DAS or still find ways to cheat the system. They had no qualms to post their strategies online before. This decision to rush out the new DAS 2.0 felt too rushed, could have spaced out the rollout a bit longer to allow some grandfathering into it and really think through each accommodation and close any backdoor cheats for each. Obviously that's too late now, they did what they did, and I feel like we're going to see a lot of stories of former DAS users being denied, horror stories of how AQR is being implemented, negative guest-to-guest interactions in queues, and most likely abusers finding ways to post or get out their strategies to others still.

Reading your story as a non-Das park visitor makes me furious for you. I have a lot of compassion for families with special needs children.

This denying people who had trips booked in mere weeks is inexcusable. It’s great they gave you a refund but this is terrible customer service.

Would having all the fees for ILL and Genie plus have helped make it workable? I am genuinely asking.

Disney’s management apparently has rocks for brains and I plan to write them after reading this thread and let them know they are being gross.
I plan to thank them for addressing the problem of overuse and shortening the LL lines.

There have been reports that half of the adults are required to stay in line, so for larger parties it would have to be more than a single “sacrificial guest”.
There is an easy solution to that, but again, I don't want to spill out details, it comes down to how committed someone is to go full out, and knowing how disgusting people are to fake disabilities, they'll take every measure and strategy imaginable to get it done

Chron's/colitis as well. You can't wait. Your body 100% does not care if you're in a line.
I feel the problem with chron’s/IBS is that people get the DAS even if they are on remission. I think that’s a grey area
Chron's/colitis as well. You can't wait. Your body 100% does not care if you're in a line.
The issue with chron’s/IBSand a ton of other issues is that people still get the DAS even when they are on remission and in reality have no need for it. The real issue is that Disney expects anyone to wait for hours in a line after paying thousands of dollars for a vacation. So people go into their medical chart to find something that qualifies them for DAS and they are not lying when they apply for a DAS. I have a son with autism we never asked for a DAS when FP was available but on our first trip after FP we had to leave the park after a couple of hours because he lost it. So we get DAS now and can actually stay a few hours before he needs to go back to the hotel. But honestly I would not personally take a trip by myself or with my other kids because I have no desire to stand in line for hours. So the DAS abuse is a problem Disney created.

Where are you finding these? I’ve been relying on this forum to get feedback on how things are going but it’s mixed with so much other stuff in here that the reports are few and far between.
I’ve mainly been reading reports from here and reddit. A lot of people on reddit applied on the first/second day and were denied. It’s definitely been hard to find first hand experiences while trying to sift through all the other comments though.

Curious, and apologies if this has been covered. Why couldn’t Disney just require a doctors note or prefilled form from a physician requesting DAS based on medical need? This way a medical professional is on record of the need, and Disney doesn’t have to make these tough judgments themselves? Keep the time period limited so it would need to be renewed periodically. These would seem to be the easiest and most effective way to weed out the frauds hurting the system, while the truly disabled get accommodations
Because ADA law prevents that is the short answer, look back through and it is a bit more complicated, but in short not allowed.

do not underestimate the severity of IBS/IBD conditions, it's not a tolerance, it is medical conditions that prevent them from having control, I don't want to reveal too much details, but that comment of "holding it" is a degrading comment to anyone who suffers those conditions, excuse me can you just hold off your heart attack, you're almost on the ride
How would the CM at the ride know that a guest has a medical condition preventing them from having control??? If someone says to me they need to leave to go to the bathroom, my first thought isn't that they might have a medical condition, it's that they need to go to the bathroom. Assuming someone has a medical condition like this based on looks alone seems incredibly judgy.

Thank you for the grace. Families with SN do appreciate it. 🙏

Disney has the herculean task of reducing abuse and getting the LL wait times manageable.

Also reason for other processes aside of the gatekeeping are needed and hopefully also part of the revamp; but not part of this thread.

Stricter gatekeeping unfortunately leads to denials to appropriate requests. That is why folk being denied with a legitimate request for accommodation should be persistent and call again or write to the team with details for the request for accommodation. SN families are typically well versed in needing to advocate.

Unfortunately that need has arrived at Disney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter