DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Last night I was searching youtube for videos about DAS. Shocked to find one from 6 days ago. It was a tik tok. The woman said her specialty was social work and then she went on to say that people could use social anxiety to skip the lines! Now there are thousands of yt videos but seems like Disney could have people monitoring people who encourage people to cheat. Ban them and maybe abuse would lessen.
It won’t lessen abuse. Once the idea is out there people run with it and build on it. I agree the people making such claims should be banned though.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and truly look at the situation. 1) LL length and time has grown significantly—waits of >30 minutes defeat the purpose of the DAS as well as decreases customer satisfaction with Genie+—the system needed to change cause it was helping no one; 2) Non DAS holders need to stop the assumption that everyone uses a DAS fraudulently and only for “the big rides”—it’s an unfair and inaccurate assessment that everyone gets a DAS for Slinky Dog and then waits in the line for TSMM. People need to stop with the narrative of “they’re getting something better than me—it’s not fair”. Life isn’t fair and those who need a DAS know it, probably much more than you do.
A little empathy, compassion, and understanding on both sidecan go a long way!
So say we all

So disheartening. I really believed Disney was just doing this because park ops had become such a mess. But to straight up say “you can buy your accommodation from us” confirms this is not just about park ops no matter what some blogger has been pounding the table on the last few months 🙄

Practically they can cut off G+ sales, they couldn’t cut off DAS approvals so LLs should shorten- if Disney cares about their current length.

The irony here is anyone happy this is stopping “DAS users taking up a majority of all the LLs” is going to find themselves competing with more people for G+ spots and maybe paying higher prices as demand should increase noticeably. Many of us still want to go and will buy G+ because we aren’t going to risk our health, so higher demand. Higher demand, higher prices.

ETA- deleted 3rd quote due to off-topic rabbit trail, reminding self to stay on-topic...

It we are already seeing folks say they will go less, which is good, the problem is, DAS had become such a VIP treatment, that it got people to come more and more. Why not? Bring your friends, ride E tickets all day between eating and shopping. LL sold out? No it isn’t. Let’s go ride Tiana at night, then wait for SDMR while we watch fireworks.

It’s needed this adjustment for years, definitely since COVID.

Does DAS let you book rides with waits that are essentially past park closing? Say Rise has a posted 120 minute wait time and there's only 90 minutes until park close, are you allowed to even book a DAS return time?

Does DAS let you book rides with waits that are essentially past park closing? Say Rise has a posted 120 minute wait time and there's only 90 minutes until park close, are you allowed to even book a DAS return time?
Why wouldn't they be allowed to? Any guest can get in line for an attraction up to 1 min before closing. All in line at closing are allowed to ride.

I think most DAS users would rather swear off Disney for life than have to fight the masses all leaving at park close, ha.

I took it to mean report people outside of the Parks. So ppl like PPs sister, who lies to get DAS. Or "influencers" who make videos on how to cheat the system, things like that. Not turning guests into hall monitors in the look-out for anyone who uses DAS (how would they even know??)

Gotcha, I think for these cases you could already email both guest services and the disability email. I'm just generally opposed to a "disability police" whether it is somewhere specifically for other guests to report abuse or in park CMs scouting for abuse. It seems ripe for issues. We've already heard of the trained accessibility CMs on video chat making questionable decisions. I wouldn't want to give anyone the ability to point the finger or even CMs be charged with finding abusers.

Someone once told me if you task someone to find something (like a cheater) they will start to find and accuse people of that regardless so they can feel valuable. Even worse if they are hit with a quota or performance ratings are based on how many cheaters they catch. It is kind of like a witch hunt.

It we are already seeing folks say they will go less, which is good, the problem is, DAS had become such a VIP treatment, that it got people to come more and more. Why not? Bring your friends, ride E tickets all day between eating and shopping. LL sold out? No it isn’t. Let’s go ride Tiana at night, then wait for SDMR while we watch fireworks.

Tiana is going to be on a VQ system. DAS users have to join the VQ at 7 or at 1 just like everyone else, and have to show up during their boarding window just like everyone else.

I've never heard of having a disability accommodation described as VIP treatment. This shows how little abled people understand disabled people. For goodness sake, people who legitimately need DAS need it for a reason. We can't cope in the line for neurodivergent reason, or pain, or anxiety, etc.. We're not getting DAS just because. We're getting it so that we can enjoy vacationing with our families. I know you think it's good that this is driving people away but some are truly saddened as Disney was their happy place.
For a company that prided itself on inclusivity and was the hallmark of welcoming all guests, including the disabled, they've proven that this is no longer true because certain segments of disabled guests no longer feel welcome.

Us speculating criteria for doing so is hypothetical, however, which was my point. I don’t disagree that genuine abuse should be curbed, where possible, but as I and another poster outlined the criteria suggested is not clear cut and would lead to people who have genuine need being included.

If I was betting on what Disney will now look at during "renewal" periods 4 months hence, it will be a combination of time in parks and usage of the pass. If certain DAS holders are routinely getting 50%+ more rides than non-DAS folks, those folks will probably be in for more scrutiny in follow on interviews to see if their conditions have improved or no longer need as high of an accommodation with more rapid standby (thanks to fewer folks in the LL).

That doesn't mean the DAS holders won't continue to get the pass. But I'm sure it does mean they won't get the 1-2 question renewal.

True. so is throwing out data like 8% and 24% utilization without clear support. Our experience is our experience---over decades. And can reliably reflect and attest that DAS utilization; while up, is nowhere as claimed as fact.

Yes, LL times have blossomed over the years to the point where as DAS holders, we routinely bail out of the wait he so patiently waited because our son simply cannot do 20+min lines for the safety of himself as well as other parkgoers. --- DAS utilization can be, and probably is a contributor to that. It's not 24%.

I'm sure some lawsuit will be attempted. This isn't a wholesale revamp of the program like GAC to DAS was. It is certainly narrowing the breadth and offering alternate accommodations again. Whether it will reach the courts or not, TBD.
So your son will hurt someone if he has to stay in a 20 minute line. But is fine ina dark boat for 7 minutes, or a high speed coaster in the dark?

It intrigues me how so many people are like that, where a quiet line is horrific, but a jerky ride is fine.

I don’t see how someone can even visit any part of WDW if a 20 minute wait is a deal breaker.

I want to be clear - I'm fine with accepting change and shifting my perspective. Semper Gumby (always flexible) is pretty much a guiding mantra in my life.

That said - I'm not ok with gaslighting about accommodations because it's gaslighting, and that's wrong no matter what the context.
All the DAS users who say it isn’t that big of an advantage are the worst gas lighters.

Just got done with my DAS interview and was approved.

I’m an autistic adult with low support needs who only travels with friends. I’m also an AP holder. I do have another condition that is exacerbated by my autism. I explained my concerns with waiting in line and once I was done they had no further questions and approved me.

They spent some time going over the new accommodations they offer as well and they said the return to queue option is even available to those who also have DAS.

I’m so sorry to everyone who has been denied and felt belittled during the interview. I have experienced that once before under the old DAS system when I did not explain my needs well. I was extremely nervous during this interview, but I had prepared myself well because I knew it wouldn’t be as easy as before.

I think the speculation that they need people to explain their needs well and they will not prompt for more info are accurate.
Thanks for sharing this! I'm glad to know that it is not an automatic denial for autistic adults that might not be high support needs.

Folks -- the moderators would appreciate leaving discussion of enforcement out of this thread. The "enforcement" wording on Disney's websites is not new. It's been around for more than a decade. Enforcement is up to Disney. Pretty much anything someone "reports" would be hearsay, he-said-she-said, and they can't or won't act on that.

It seems several posters are here simply to argue. It may be time to move along if you can only find negatives to complain about here. We are looking for first-hand reports of DAS video chats or in-park accommodations. Helpful suggestions for managing the parks without DAS. Support for each other -- this is an emotional and challenging situation for many.

This thread is a real downer, and not just because of Disney's actions. If I didn't have to read it, I certainly would not choose to do so. You people are tearing each other apart.

I think I can answer this. We had tried to book Safari at one point when it closed before the park did, and the wait time was past the closing time,and it was not available to book the DAS return time. I do assume that had we gone to the ride itself and asked, we may have been let through the LL then or given a modified return time, based off others’ recounts, but didn’t want to risk walking all the way to the back of the park.

1. The debate over whether someone should ride a ride while in line shouldn't be happening. Disney doesn't see it as a problem nor as abuse, as they literally have it out-lined as an option.

3. The fact is the 8% is a number that has been flung out but not specified. This 8% of guests who use DAS may in fact include people who have been in the party and may be based on tap-ins. Or it may just be disabled people in general. The fact is we do not know either way so I am glad the ping pong debate is ended.
Regarding your two points above

1. I don’t think anyone is debating if it SHOULD or SHOULDN’T be happening. I think some people are saying it’s NOT happening and it’s getting people riled up. The pushback you see is people saying it IS happening.

3. There is basically a zero percent chance that the 8% includes the non-disabled guests in the DAS passholder’s party. If you look back at my post from a few weeks ago, you will see it’s mathematically not feasible given the factual numbers Disney has provided. With that said, I’m glad the ping pong debate is done too.

From my experience, a genie+ user, yes I notice more people.in the LL but they are uaually top 15 minutes. The times LL line goes beyond 30 minutes, the main reason is Ride Breakdowns. Either that ride was down all day and finally popped back up, or People are using their any experience pasa on those rides from other rides Breakdowns

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter