Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think they should cut off reservations until they anounce a date. There are alot of people trying to book who have already been cancelled one or more times and are scrambling to find a time to go to make use of already purchased and banked airline fares etc. By having reservatiions available you are implying that you are going to be open.

Yes it may seem like planning a vacation is crazy during a Pandemic but also keep in mind that a lot of folks may not have a choice. For example I must take 2 weeks vacation by July 11th. No exceptions.

Last edited:
This!

There are a couple things for me here - 1) I don't have an upcoming trip planned within the next several months, and 2) I live in a state that is just now beginning to sniff a re-opening.

This is a largely unprecedented situation, not that it is a public health crisis, but because there are so many factors in play. I don't have an issue with Disney providing this update, or not doing so. I'm sure that they have potential dates planned, but the difference here is that Disney may be willing to give up on that date if there is additional concern, whereas Universal is near-fully committed at this point. They're not providing a potential opening date because it may change.

I think they'd much rather keep the potential open for re-opening at some point in June, than issue a blanket statement saying they won't open until July, and either screw over those guests that had June reservations or open to minimal crowds because it's too last-minute for someone to book a trip.

Personally, I don't expect a private company to be more forthcoming with information than my own government. Lol
Your government is very forthcoming with info
It’s just not accurate 😀

The people who are upset about the lack of transparency are mainly people who have upcoming trips (within the next 2-3 months) -- or those who had trips recently canceled.
I’ve been cancelled in March in the very first wave, have another reservation that is in danger of being cancelled and I’m not upset. I’m concerned and I’m impatient to know when they will open and what the conditions will be. I’m sad things will be so different from the WDW I’m used to, but I’m far from upset or angry.

I do think they should have issued some kind of statement earlier, but when you see the response a statement without an opening date gets, I’m not surprised they haven’t. Until they announce an opening date, people are going to continue to gripe.

Last edited:

So, to summarize... The people who are upset about the lack of transparency are mainly people who have upcoming trips (within the next 2-3 months) -- or those who had trips recently canceled.

The people who think they are overreacting about that lack of transparency either have no trips planned anytime soon, or don't have kids or other commitments and can reschedule for whenever if they get canceled with little notice.

I know I'm generalizing, but the people who aren't going back for a while and don't have flights to potentially reschedule, DVC points, and other decisions to make with whether the reduced experiences will be worth it when they do announce their reopening plans, are not being very empathetic, IMO. I guess if I didn't have a dog in the fight, I sadly might have that attitude too.

Anyhow, it's frustrating to say the least. Someone said it pages ago, but just give me a date that you can give me the date. :rotfl:

@LSUmiss, any update from your cousin on when Seaworld is presenting their plan?

Nope. I've had two trips canceled so far and another booked in August. We're in the middle of a pandemic, certainty of anything has gone out the window so I'm just rolling with it as it comes.

UO is a different beast. Very few people eat dinner in the parks.
We did Mythos last time and it was just eh, think I’ve mentioned food a few times and I’m starting to need a diet just thinking about the comments I’ve made. 😂 I work really hard all year but my vacations all bets are off, it’s all about the food (and drink)! Anyway, Universal really needs to up their game in the restaurant department.

I do get that they were unreasonably optimistic with the free dining offer. But, what I find inexcusable is the communication to guests when canceling those reservations. If I were such a guest, it’d have gone a long way to receive an email acknowledging their initial optimism and hope that this offer would have compensated for a canceled trip, but they’re now very sorry they have to now cancel this reservation as well, and saying that with the current uncertainty they’re not in a position to share another offer; however, once we’re in a more certain environment, we will reach out about opportunities for a magical return. You get the idea.. just more empathy and openness.

Jmho, but I think the free dining deal was their biggest mistake to date - if you didn't know for certain ( and I understand it's almost impossible to know for certain) that you were going to open by June 1st, why offer the free dining. Of course that is going to get people's hopes up. It's only natural -

I think what they should have done is allowed it to be booked to at least the end of the year if not further.

I think a lot of people may have reluctantly booked June as a make up trip to take advantage because of the unappealing weather in July, August, and September’s hurricane season and hopeful school starting.

I think what they should have done is allowed it to be booked to at least the end of the year if not further.

I think a lot of people may have reluctantly booked June as a make up trip to take advantage because of the unappealing weather in July, August, and September’s hurricane season and hopeful school starting.

I think the main issue is uncertainty with what dining will even be available.

We did Mythos last time and it was just eh, think I’ve mentioned food a few times and I’m starting to need a diet just thinking about the comments I’ve made. 😂 I work really hard all year but my vacations all bets are off, it’s all about the food (and drink)! Anyway, Universal really needs to up their game in the restaurant department.
In park yes. But it's easy enough to go out to CityWalk and grab lunch. Cowfish and NBC is 2 of my favorites

I do think they should cut off reservations until they anounce a date. There are alot of people trying to book who have already been cancelled one or more times and are scrambling to find a time to go to make use of already purchased and banked airline fares etc. By having reservatiions available you are implying that you are going to be open.

I have the flexibility as do others. I want the opportunity to book, knowing full well it may be cancelled. Just because they allow it, doesn’t mean you have to book. They have said they may not be open, they aren’t implying anything. It’s clearly a book at your own risk situation. I don’t see why I should be blocked from booking just because of someone else’s situation.

We have rescheduled our April trip three times and now have a June 16-20 stay at a good neighbor hotel. Disney’s communication and management of the situation has been lacking in comparison to Universal. We will support Universal if Disney parks are not open. It will be our first visit to Universal because our kids are young. We have annual passes to WDW and justified the large price by preplanning 4 weeklong trips. Our third trip was supposed to be in July but it will be difficult to get the same value we expected out of our AP now. Disney needs to step up for their cast members and dedicated guests.

Universal has the fireworks/fountain nighttime show, Islands of Adventure has the projection show on Hogwarts castle. Both are neat and fun to see, but I wouldn't call them required. I doubt they'll do anything to intentionally increase attendance right away
Agree. I doubt either shows are a key consideration when buying the tickets.

“Real-time adjustments“ to park tickets or passes is what may push me to the side of canceling. If I am invested with flights, resort cost, vacation time, etc., and find out day-of that my park entry is not happening, I would be a very unhappy customer. It’d be a different story, IMO, if they provided more information in advance of my trip. For example, ”Our plan is to allow park entry to all resort guests; however, if we hit capacity, our process will be as follows...“

Totally agree, and I still don't understand why Disney hasn't relaxed the "no ticket refund" policy ( non-package)
Pp! book months and months in advance (basically because the system as currently constructed basically pushes ppl towards that type of planning )
So, now there is a pandemic, that obviously no one could ever predict the severity of , and the experience will not be the same - the way we live our daily lives might not ever be the same - so, Disney basically allows you to book for a future.date - ok, so what about the couple that booked for a 50-year wedding anniversary? That only happens once - how about the a graduation - ? Family reunion ? There are so many situations where going in the future might not be possible (or serve the purpose)
Understandably,when Disney reopens , they are going to ask guests to adapt, given the pandemic - Disney needs to adapt as well, for the same reason - just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!