Credit for Mousekeeping Rumor

Madonna3

DIS Veteran
So, user @Roxyfire posted this in the News and Rumor thread, but I wanted to talk more about this topic specifically because I too think it is an interesting discussion so I moved it over here. The quote goes:

I originally saw this posted on the WDW Subreddit, a rumor from Chip and CO that states disney is offering gift cards to some staying at value resorts who agree to forego Mousekeeping.

I'm not sure I actually believe it, but it would be an interesting discussion. No notes as to whether that would be length of stay or per day. My gut is length of stay as DVC housekeeping is $30/per day right? I'd imagine the workload for a value room is a lot lower.

My thoughts are that it would likely be tied to length of stay. I find it interesting there is a test for it at value resorts as opposed to moderates or even values. I think there are two reasons for this:

1. Demand for guest mousekeeping (vs. turnover) might actually be lower at values than other resorts and would allow them to assign more mousekeeping at other resorts.
2. Those at values are usually on the strictest budgets and this would be a nice way to get them to spend elsewhere.

DVC housekeeping is $30 per day with trash and towel service at $15. Now, these are prices for when it is requested outside the normal allowed windows. DVC members have access to trash and towels whenever they need with no extra charge as long as they self-service. The DVC fees are for when you want mousekeeping to do it for you.

I can't imagine that Disney would value mousekeeping at a value room at $30 when considering the cost of the room. So, I would think that it would be tied to length of stay and a value assigned to that. So for a 1-2 day stay, maybe there is no credit. For a 3 - 5 day stay, perhaps $30. For a 5-7 night stay, perhaps $50, and for 7+ days, maybe $80.

Thoughts?

I'm shocked they aren't considering housekeeping as an upcharge instead. ;)

Seriously, no chance would I take a payoff for no housekeeping. It's one of the things I love about vacation.

What level of accommodations do you normally stay?

I think you are spot on for the reasoning for why they are starting with the values - that if you stay deluxe you expect deluxe amenities and if you stay value cost is probably one of the highest reasons you chose to stay value

40 Bucks seems like chump change compared to how much I'd be spending. Instead of about $6,000 I'd be paying about $5,960. Whoopity doo! Disney's penny pinching again with this one. They must not have enough maids to go around with all of the suites and villas their making.

I'm surprised they don't have robots walking around in maid costumes. Pay the maids damn it. .... Oh no, I'm turning into Pete Werner.

40 Bucks seems like chump change compared to how much I'd be spending. Instead of about $6,000 I'd be paying about $5,960. Whoopity doo! Disney's penny pinching again with this one. They must not have enough maids to go around with all of the suites and villas their making.

I'm surprised they don't have robots walking around in maid costumes. Pay the maids damn it. .... Oh no, I'm turning into Pete Werner.

I have no problem in paying the maids. However, at a value, since I stay for a short period only, if this were an option I would likely take it. Another poster suggested that they were surprised that Disney didn't lower room rates and then tack this on as an added charge. While it's in test, I believe we'll see credits, but when it/if it goes live, I bet we see room rates stay the same with mousekeeping coming at an added cost.

The last several hotels I stayed in offered gift cards or cost deduction for reduced housekeeping. The first one I had booked a reduced package anyway so I wasn't surprised that they offered that option. The others were just in random US cities. It seems like it's a growing trend.

Adding - I suspect as the pressure for higher minimum wages increases, the more likely you will see housekeeping at hotels offered either at different levels or for additional cost. It won't just be at Disney.

I feel like this would appeal to me more if it were suggested that you received housekeeping every other day rather than every day (sort of like the whole hang your towel up if you want to reuse it concept). On a 7-9 day stay that is perfectly manageable, however the thought of absolutely no housekeeping during a stay of that length scares me a little.

The other factor is that this puts the condition of the rooms much more in guests hands, rather than Disney's. I would strongly question if it would actually prove profitable for Disney in some circumstances if it now takes them three times as long to clean a room at the end of a stay due to it being a complete mess.

I have no problem in paying the maids. However, at a value, since I stay for a short period only, if this were an option I would likely take it. Another poster suggested that they were surprised that Disney didn't lower room rates and then tack this on as an added charge. While it's in test, I believe we'll see credits, but when it/if it goes live, I bet we see room rates stay the same with mousekeeping coming at an added cost.
I suggested it might be used as an added charge. But lowering room rates? Nah, don't see it happening.

Adding - I suspect as the pressure for higher minimum wages increases, the more likely you will see housekeeping at hotels offered either at different levels or for additional cost. It won't just be at Disney.

No doubt. Companies don't just absorb the cost of increasing wages out of the goodness of their hearts. It usually has to be made up for elsewhere.

I don't stay value, except for 1 weird night that was an accident of sorts, but I *think* that a good number of people staying value are the park commando types, so they don't care about the pools and accommodations as much since they will rarely use the room. I wonder if this makes them value coming back to a nice clean room more or less, or if they are there so little, the room doesn't get destroyed?

Personally, I travel to WDW typically with just a male companion, and can trash a room so quickly it's insane. When I travel with my girlfriends, its way worse. I always make sure I leave good tips - especially at the Swolphin as I'm a repeat client. I'm so good about keeping my home clean and somehow the minute I walk into a hotel, all my slob tendencies come to the fore. I don't think that's unusual. So, personally, I wouldn't forego housekeeping for $30 a day. I'd *think* most people would be pretty serious about wanting it.

It wouldn't be worth it for me because I need to stay at least 10 days. Disney would have to give me 10-15 dollars a day to make it worth my while. If I accepted their offer I'd just Lysol spray or Febreze the joint once a day. That should get rid all of the germs and fart smells that have accumulated.

Swan/Dolphin have offered a $5 hotel card for a couple of years for every day except your last that you don't have housekeeping. You can do it for any of the days you want. I do it the entire time I'm there, I think 4 nights is the longest I've stayed there. I'd probably be more apt to take it at the deluxe or moderate levels than at the value. The towels are much more plush so hanging them and reusing them another day is no problem and they tend to have at least 4 if not more in the room to start with. At Swan/Dolphin when you opt for this, they hang a bag on your door with the "free" bottle of water and shampoo, etc. every day. I don't like having housekeeping in my room every day so it's a win/win for me. When I stay at a Disney resort I tend to hang my DND sign on my door for at least 3 days. I stay in the moderates for about 2 nights then move to the deluxes every trip.

Bingo.

Are they experiencing an employee shortage?
They are always advertising for them but now they have ... and fulltime = benefits.

Housekeeping- Full Time - $500 Hiring Bonus

I think it will really depend on the cost vs the extra work for me ...
We stay Value lots since we go back and forth.
I am very neat, organized and clean so it's not a me problem but ...
How am I going to get my towels, will they still hang them on the door?
I don't want to have to pick them up.
What about sheet changes, some trips are 7-10 days, I want them changed.
If we do have crumbs or something ... do I call for a mini-clean added to my bill?
What about my trash?
I want it gone each day .... does that mean bags of trash lining up the walkways.
This will mean lots of critters coming in close and personal.
Do I really want to check into a room after the Clampetts stayed for a week with no Mousekeeping?
If I get it and stay clean but my neighbor is not and I walk out to trash and crap by my door, ewww.
Maybe Mousekeeping free buildings would make it more efficient and better for guests.
They could have towel racks by elevator and mini dumpsters for their trash.

Last edited:
We generally stay moderate or deluxe at WDW and we rarely want our room cleaned. We swap out towels with the housekeeping staff every few days, and dump our garbage when necessary.

We don't eat in our rooms, and we make our beds when we get up. There just isn't much for someone to do in our rooms but swap out towels and empty the garbage.

Would I accept money for not using a service that I really don't use today? Yes, if it came with a way to swap towels and a place to dump my garbage. It would also save me tips.

This is an interesting idea. But like Hopper I would be curious about the implementation of the self service. If trash bags lined the doors I would not like it much.

Aside from that. I have younger children that require naps during the long days at wdw. After our first trip we made it a rule to plan a trip back to our room for naps. We have tried a few times to skip and every time we regret it. Because of this, we normally only get our room cleaned once or twice during our trips. And on the few days we do get our rooms clean it always seems the maids are there when we get to the room for our naps, which is inconvenient with tired kids. So from that point of view, it could be a good option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!