Connecting iPad to the TV in the room

Phillie

Earning My Ears
Hi,
Does anyone know if you can connect an iPad via some cable (HDMI etc) to the TV in the room? Can the input be changed on the TV? I want to bring some movies to watch, non-Disney, while on board. We will be on the Fantasy this coming weekend. Thank you.

I doubt you will want to be in your room watching movies, but in case you are they run them all the time. They have movies playing on lots of channels.

Hi,
Does anyone know if you can connect an iPad via some cable (HDMI etc) to the TV in the room? Can the input be changed on the TV? I want to bring some movies to watch, non-Disney, while on board. We will be on the Fantasy this coming weekend. Thank you.

Difficult all wired for the shops services and most TVs are screwed in with little space behind them, hard to get to the sockets without knocking the TV off, and if people think, how does he know,.....

I have a teenage IT expert son, who thought he could do it.

Though an iPad is not listed - I don't believe they like anything to be connected to the TVs. I would just watch your movies on your iPad

• DVD, VCR, or Blu ray players or, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo Wii gaming systems are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs

Here are the connection for the Dream Class ships :3dglasses

P1210042.jpg

I tired and while I could plug it in, I couldn't get it to work. It was a first for me, travel a lot and have never had an issue. In the end, I didn't really need it because the have on demand for Disney Movies for the kids and if I wanted to watch anything, it was usually later at night and I just watched it on the iPad with headphones to not disturb the kids.

I thought you could not use or watch your ITunes movies/music from your iPhone/Ipad, etc because it uses wifi on board, don't you have to pay for that in order to listen to your music or watch your movies from ITunes?

I thought you could not use or watch your ITunes movies/music from your iPhone/Ipad, etc because it uses wifi on board, don't you have to pay for that in order to listen to your music or watch your movies from ITunes?

You would need to use the wifi (and pay for a package) to download that once you are on the ship, but you would certainly watch/listen to content you downloaded before getting on the ship without using up your internet package.

If you download a movie or music and don't use iCloud you can watch it anywhere. It eats into your memory but can be watched/listened to. If it is on iCloud you need a data plan.

We used the standard Apple component audio-video cable to connect my iPad to the TV. It is a newer iPad, so I also had to get a lightning-to-30-pin adapter for the end that attaches to the iPad, since Apple only seems to make this cable with the old 30-pin connector.

Just plug the three color-coded connectors into the back of the TV as shown below, turn Mirroring on on your iDevice, and use the TV remote to change the TV input to "Component". Don't plug in the USB connector; just leave it dangling. Worked fine for us.

IMG_0621.jpg

Attachments

• China_Apple_ipod_iphone_ipad_Component_AV_Cable_Mobile_Accessories20115251454453.jpg
    China_Apple_ipod_iphone_ipad_Component_AV_Cable_Mobile_Accessories20115251454453.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I have an iPad air 2 with the new connector as mentioned. The S-video cable converted to lightening does not work well. Do you know if you switch the input to the HDMI which is a better picture will that work? Going with the YPBPR would work too I would assume if the s-video option did. I guess I will bring some options and try it. Thank you for the pictures and suggestions.

Two years ago, I brought an iPad 3rd Gen (30-pin dock connector), plus dock-to-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable. This worked fine to display on the Fantasy's stateroom TV (just unplug the HDMI that comes from the on-board video system).
You should be able to get a lightning-to-HDMI adapter and do the same thing.

I've used both an iPhone 5/6 and iPad Air, with the lighting/HDMI adapter to view recordings on the in room TV on both the Dream and Magic. In the case of the Dream just unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of the TV and connected the iPhone/iPad, no problems.

You will have more than enough to watch without your own movies, they basically have every Disney movie and 2 years ago I watched the Hobbit not too long after it's release to video so they do have some other options. I am a huge TV watcher, I mean huge and I find the only time I watch in the room is maybe during an afternoon in the room for a nap or maybe late at night to go to sleep.

Worked like a charm from my macbook air...just plugged it into the hdmi port and used the input button on the tv (not on the remote)

Here is a great Youttube video showing how to connect an ipad/iphone/ipod to a Disney magic TV (and it also explains how to do it with a Dream Class -- basically, as a PP said take out the existing HDMI tv cable and put in your HDMI cable).

SW

Here is a great Youttube video showing how to connect an ipad/iphone/ipod to a Disney magic TV (and it also explains how to do it with a Dream Class -- basically, as a PP said take out the existing HDMI tv cable and put in your HDMI cable).

SW
Such a helpful video

I would recommend that don't plug anything int the tv and defiantly don't unplug anything from it. If you forget to plug it back in it can cause problems for the next guest who uses the state room as Disney may not know that you unplugged something in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!