Connecting iPad to the TV in the room

I know this is a really old thread, but still:

The stateroom TV’s aren’t all that big. Are you really getting that much more screen size vs. watching on your iPad to justify the hassle of packing cables and connectors that may or may not work?

Yes, a 22 inch TV is bigger then an iPhone or iPad. And all you need is a short HDMI cable and the lightning to HDMI adapter. Not much more to carry and easy to do.

Yes, a 22 inch TV is bigger then an iPhone or iPad. And all you need is a short HDMI cable and the lightning to HDMI adapter. Not much more to carry and easy to do.

iPhone? I agree. iPad? If you are watching a 22" TV from the couch - let's say 4' away - is the TV's field of vision really that much better than holding the iPad in your lap?

Frankly, I am surprised that DCL hasn't put a box around those connections so people can't do what we are discussing.

iPhone? I agree. iPad? If you are watching a 22" TV from the couch - let's say 4' away - is the TV's field of vision really that much better than holding the iPad in your lap?

Frankly, I am surprised that DCL hasn't put a box around those connections so people can't do what we are discussing.
So 2 to 4 people are to huddle around your lap?

I've done this in land hotels and I guess you're familiar with how to do it. I expect the easiet thing to do would be to unhook the TV line (I'm sure I don't have to say 'carefully') and put yours in. I get it. Sometimes you just want a break to relax your way or maybe want to keep the kids occupied while everyone gets ready for whatever. Just remember to reattach the DCL TV when you're done, which, again, I'm sure I don't have to mention to you. :)

So 2 to 4 people are to huddle around your lap?

I took the OP to mean (s)he wanted to catch up on movies - i.e., a single person. In which case, I’d just as soon use the iPad.

And if it were a bunch of little kids? I’d still use the iPad, if only to load exactly what I want on it.

But yes, if a family of five were hunkering down to watch “Infinity War,” I would opt for the TV.

Last edited:

First, Officially against the rules, but we were on the Fantasy on the Season Finale of GoT. We brought an HDMI cable. I personally didn't look at social media on Tortuga day or on St. Thomas. We made sure we were back on St. Thomas about 2 PM. (we had a 4:30 departure)
Since St. Thomas was part of US, we used iPhone data (T-Mobile) to tether MacBook. Pulled up HBO Go and was easily able to output display and sound on stateroom TV.

Would I go thru this much work to watch Disney movies? Not a chance. However, having read all of the booked and watched the show from the beginning, I was not going to have the ending spoiled from social media.

I find the whole premise of this thread quite amusing. Spend thousands of dollars to take a cruise on a ship with loads of things to do, and people are concerned about being able to connect devices to a small, mediocre TV so they can sit in their room. If I was that addicted to any electronic device, I would consider taking a vacation from IT! :-)

Each to their own. DH likes to enjoy the room and the verandah. He pulls up the movies on the TV or sits on the balcony. Sometimes he does other things, but those are his relaxing places. Okay, or the Buena Vista theatre on SWDAS. DH and DS did some SW binging in there for sure.

You'll need a reasonably long power cord though. The only plug in that will work is the one to the side of the vanity (at least in our Cat V room). The plugs behind the TV(s) are both occupied and need to be for the TV to work. If you're in a Cat V room I can tell you you won't be able to get anything plugged into the big TV without an extension cord as 2 of 3 plugs are occupied and there isn't enough space to plug in anything else with the empty plug space. We plugged in a Nintendo Switch in to the normal TV but needed over a 3 foot power cable to make it work.

Trying to refresh.
We are going on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. We like the movies that will be shown but we have much more on our iPad.
In addition, we would like to use the TV for Fitness+ workouts.

Has anyone tried it?
Does anyone know what the TV manufacturer is on the Wonder?

Trying to refresh.
We are going on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise. We like the movies that will be shown but we have much more on our iPad.
In addition, we would like to use the TV for Fitness+ workouts.

Has anyone tried it?
Does anyone know what the TV manufacturer is on the Wonder?
Last I knew they were Samsung, but that was before the last refresh. When we did the WBPC in 2019 we used the lighting to HDMI adapter to connect our iPad and iPhones to the TV, just needed to switch to the HDMI input. Since they now have upgraded they probably have a box connected to the HDMI port like on the other ships. When we did those just disconnected their box and connected our cable.

Last I knew they were Samsung, but that was before the last refresh. When we did the WBPC in 2019 we used the lighting to HDMI adapter to connect our iPad and iPhones to the TV, just needed to switch to the HDMI input. Since they now have upgraded they probably have a box connected to the HDMI port like on the other ships. When we did those just disconnected their box and connected our cable.
I would recommend not to do that as you might not remember to plug it back in and the cleaning staff may not look for it and then that means that the next person who is in that room has to get someone in to fix it if they don't know what the problem is.

We have a 14 day cruise. I would remember. And most of the TV's have more than one HDMI port.
At the WDW resorts they actually have a button on the remote to switch to HDMI. Super cool.
Thanks. I'll post again after our cruise.
Do you know for sure the TV's have been upgraded.

We have a 14 day cruise. I would remember. And most of the TV's have more than one HDMI port.
At the WDW resorts they actually have a button on the remote to switch to HDMI. Super cool.
I still wouldn't do it.

I just got off the Wonder. The TVs are Samsung. I noticed that in the concierge suite there was an HDMI cable available for your use. This is likely to connect to the DVD players that you could (in the past, not sure about now) borrow from the concierge staff.

I just got off the Wonder. The TVs are Samsung. I noticed that in the concierge suite there was an HDMI cable available for your use. This is likely to connect to the DVD players that you could (in the past, not sure about now) borrow from the concierge staff.
Thanks. Sounds promising. We are in Family Veranda.
Were the cabins upgraded from the last time you cruised? Was the ship crowded?
How was the food?

Last edited:
What's a DVD player?

Anyway this is a brilliant idea, would be nice one night to watch a movie of our choice downloaded from Netflix, Apple or whatever the case may be. Especially with fewer shows on board right now.

Thanks. Sounds promising. We are in Family Veranda.
Were the cabins upgraded from the last time you cruised? Was the ship crowded?
How was the food?

Our last sailing was October 2019, on what was the original 7N itinerary, before it was modified. There were no upgrades to the rooms during this time. The ship was decidedly NOT crowded. There were 1200 guests on 4N and 400 on the 3N. The food was the same as always.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter