• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Classics vs Dream Class

Myth
  • The classics never feel as crowded or busy - how wrong this is. The sail-away and pirate parties were wall to wall on the lower deck and above and felt crammed compared to the Dream class with its significantly larger lower space and way wider upper deck even with more people. If pirate night had been rained out, I have no clue where they could hold for the lobby (where has been held on the Dreams class when rained out) would have been a hazard with that many people in such a small space. Cabanas always felt overcrowded and finding a table always a challenge inside. We ended up eating around the pool which is an option on the Dream class as well but not largely seen used this way - there is no way for breakfast or a sea day lunch for Cabanas to function without these spaces for seating. A sea day the pool decks felt crammed and busier than those on the Dream class.
The classics have their appeal and we will still enjoy the TA given we book, but we will be doing so with open eyes to what they offer and not see or imagine mini-Dream class ships but Disney's first take of what they thought their cruise ships could and should be.

This is SO true! They have so many kids' activities in the atrium and it gets horribly crowded. On our Magic cruise in November kids were getting stepped on. The lounges where they had activities were packed (it was Christmas time cruise so lots of ornament making, etc.). There were long lines to get in the lounges and plenty of people were sitting on the floor unless you were there 30-45 minutes prior or were already there from a previous activity. The pool is disgusting as well - people soup. On the Fantasy there are just more places for people to go so they are not all congregating in just a few places.

When we sailed the Magic out of NYC in 2012 the bathrooms were already moldy and the bedspreads were actually threadbare. Having spent a lot of time at at Disney and Disney properties I was pretty surprised. Fortunately there wasn't any stink - yuck! We sailed the Magic again in Nov. 2016 and the rooms were in a bit better shape but yes, there was still some nastiness in the bathroom. I really don't like the Magic at all...wish they would have had sailings on the Fantasy from NYC. I do have to say that our cruise in Nov. was probably the best Disney cruise we had but I think that had more to do with my daughter's age and the activities she was able to participate in. I still don't think I'd sail the Magic again (and would not go on the Wonder either). Wish the Dream had 7 day cruises!

This bath, sanitary vent stack problem , stink issue, or lack there of , that the Magic Class is known for, doesn't exist on the Dream Class fwiw.

Never smelt anything on Dream Class unless outside.

Only smelt on the Magic inside. Best of luck. Drydock only patched these pipes.
Pipes were not replaced, nor the technology to service said pipes.

You be the judge.

Study reviews and whatnot. You can concluded your own thoughts.

JMTs

Last edited:
Wish the Dream had 7 day cruises!
I'll second that!! We've only ever sailed on the Fantasy, and while I love her, I'm really worn out with the same itineraries she sails. Actually, that probably wouldn't bother me half as much as the same repetitive shows!! I'm so envious of the other ships' shows (Tangled, Golden Mickey's, etc). We really only want to sail 7-day itineraries and the Dream seems to do 5-days or less and always the Bahamas with a stop in Nassau (no thank you)!

While on board our last cruise I booked us on a 7-day southern caribbean on the Wonder and I'm just so torn as to whether to keep the reservation or change it to cruise on the Fantasy. I'll have a 14 and 11 year-old boys who are used to having the Aquaduck, mini-golf, and mid-ship detective agency to keep them busy. I don't see anything, other than the sports court and "soup" pool that would remotely interest them. And before someone replies, they've never enjoyed the kids clubs. I'm hoping that with new (to us) themed restaurants and newly updated "concierge" rooms (we're booked into one of the cabins that will be changed over into a concierge room) we'll enjoy ourselves :-)

I'll second that!! We've only ever sailed on the Fantasy, and while I love her, I'm really worn out with the same itineraries she sails. Actually, that probably wouldn't bother me half as much as the same repetitive shows!! I'm so envious of the other ships' shows (Tangled, Golden Mickey's, etc). We really only want to sail 7-day itineraries and the Dream seems to do 5-days or less and always the Bahamas with a stop in Nassau (no thank you)!

While on board our last cruise I booked us on a 7-day southern caribbean on the Wonder and I'm just so torn as to whether to keep the reservation or change it to cruise on the Fantasy. I'll have a 14 and 11 year-old boys who are used to having the Aquaduck, mini-golf, and mid-ship detective agency to keep them busy. I don't see anything, other than the sports court and "soup" pool that would remotely interest them. And before someone replies, they've never enjoyed the kids clubs. I'm hoping that with new (to us) themed restaurants and newly updated "concierge" rooms (we're booked into one of the cabins that will be changed over into a concierge room) we'll enjoy ourselves :-)

I agree about the shows. I'm almost ready to book the Dream to see Beauty & The Beast! We really enjoyed Tangled - the first "new" show we've seen. The Southern Caribbean is a great itinerary but I understand about not enough for your boys to do. My 7 year old daughter doesn't go in the kid's clubs either. She could spend hours in the pool...but well you know - soup.

We love the Magic and the Wonder. Absolutely despised the Dream, flow issues, service at the time was very subpar for DCL. The Fantasy was ok, sailing concierge helped out a lot. One thing we have found on he classics is that the CMs are more relaxed and friendly. Talking to some on all ships, it sounds like the Dream class CMs are given more jobs to handle not allowing as much time for the little touches.

I do miss Skyline on the classics, but we have other spots to chill out. Overall the classics feel less crowded, but yes during deck parties of course the smaller spaces feel jam packed. They are some smells on the classics and yes there are spots where she shows her age/charecter, but she is an older ship, some where and tear is expected. The Fantasy will have it some day too, heck the latch was broke on our Cat V bathroom door. The funny part about it was my DW and I joked about what someone else's trip report on here would say about the door falling apart. ;)

My philosophy is to not sweat the small stuff, because you could get so hung up on that you may miss out on something awesome:)

I agree with the OP. We've sailed all ships except the Fantasy (will be sailing her in 3 months!). We sailed the Wonder in December shortly after dry dock. I just didn't care for it. We love to use the adult pool area and it was very underwhelming compared to the area on the Dream. I really enjoy the size, bells and whistles of the newer ships. The Dream is my favorite but that may change after the Fantasy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter