Classics vs Dream Class

hardis5

DIS Veteran
After 5 Dream class sailings, we finally did a classic sailing on the Wonder as a prelude to looking to book the WBTA for 2018 when released. Reading on the ships differences and the benefits of each, post cruise IMHO here are a few of the pros, cons and the big myth we found;

Pros
  • The scale of the ships makes getting around quicker (fewer decks and everything seemed to just feel closer even if it was not).
  • Topside food service broken into multiple stations/locations was nice. No depending on Flo's alone and it busy space but rather the same food could be found at Pluto's/Pete's or Daisy's delites with the addition of soups, rices and other world foods at Daisy's being really nice. Pinocchio's pizza was fantastic for a late night snack.
  • Loved Tiana's Place with its live music and of the three main dining rooms, this was the only one felt that had character that was not an open square where all sat together.
  • The kids area, pool and slide being separate from the main pool area had one feel each space was unique and tailored to a certain family age which was nice.
  • The kids clubs (Oceaneer) having entrances in separate locations on the ship (either side of the atrium/lobby) gave the perception of not being as crowded or busy. On the Dream classes both clubs being in the same hallway had the hallway seemed overly busy at times.
  • Castaway with the smaller ship and that many fewer people almost felt empty walking around the shops and at lunch.
  • Getting a cabana was easier competing with fewer people seeking, wanting.
Cons
  • Though areas of the ships have been updated and refreshed, you are still on a 18 year old ship and the bones and evidence of this can be seen throughout. Old hairdryers fixed on the bathroom wall as a throwback to the 90's, caulking where seams have split over time, old tile and trim needing attention in the bathrooms, numerous cracked elevator buttons in every elevator all pointed to being a well worn older ship.
  • The elevators on the Dream class everyone likes to complain about are mammoth in size compared to the small elevators on the Wonder. A family of 5 or a smaller family with a stroller - you'd better grab the next elevator as there will be no space.
  • The classic's have 4-5 movies/shows constantly cycling on a few channels (beyond the normal Disney affiliate channels) instead of the on-demand selection of the Dream class was a big let down. Our family loves the on-demand available on the Dream class for when settling the little one down or looking for quieter time in the cabin to catch a recent Disney release one did not see or wants to see again.
  • The seating in the theaters was uncomfortable and seemingly original. On the Dreams class the show and movie spaces were much more inviting and comfortable.
  • Triton's and Animators being open squarish spaces had the tables feel crowded together with there being less space.
  • Maybe just me but the deck height seemed to be less than on the Dream class on the cabin decks for our shower (split bath) I had little headroom in where on the Dream class, our 6'4" oldest DS seemed to still manage. He not being along this cruise, I'd wonder how he'd shower with the lack of height.
  • The kids clubs even with the updates still IMHO lag behind the appeal of the areas on the Dream class ships. Our youngest was never bored in the spaces but he was always in one or 2 areas where on the Dreams class, we could find him virtually anywhere as many spaces had appeal or activity to keep him entertained.
  • The Dream class with significantly more passengers has significantly more public space, seating areas, nooks and places to hangout or find. We ended up several times in Cove Cafe as a quiet refuge found on the Wonder. The Promenade Lounge I thought could be used for casual seating but I saw more as a hallway than the bar/stage for casual entertainment - maybe re-purposing this area would provide more public space seen accessible for all to use. We used more as a hallways to get to the rear of the ship.
Myth
  • The classics never feel as crowded or busy - how wrong this is. The sail-away and pirate parties were wall to wall on the lower deck and above and felt crammed compared to the Dream class with its significantly larger lower space and way wider upper deck even with more people. If pirate night had been rained out, I have no clue where they could hold for the lobby (where has been held on the Dreams class when rained out) would have been a hazard with that many people in such a small space. Cabanas always felt overcrowded and finding a table always a challenge inside. We ended up eating around the pool which is an option on the Dream class as well but not largely seen used this way - there is no way for breakfast or a sea day lunch for Cabanas to function without these spaces for seating. A sea day the pool decks felt crammed and busier than those on the Dream class.
The classics have their appeal and we will still enjoy the TA given we book, but we will be doing so with open eyes to what they offer and not see or imagine mini-Dream class ships but Disney's first take of what they thought their cruise ships could and should be.

Interesting - I felt like I had MORE space in Lumiere's than in either of the Royals.

I loved my time on the Magic and am excited about going on the Wonder. The only thing I really miss is some place nice and small and quiet like Skyline.

Interesting - I felt like I had MORE space in Lumiere's than in either of the Royals.

I loved my time on the Magic and am excited about going on the Wonder. The only thing I really miss is some place nice and small and quiet like Skyline.

Lumiere's (Titan's on the Wonder) being an open square with a sea of tables to me lacks the intimacy of the smaller defined areas of Royal or Enchanted but there again is a different interpretation and feel for the same space. Seeing the entire room all at the same time and all in it regardless of space around the table has me feel crowded and confined but a smaller space with 8-12 tables feels more open.

The Cadillac Lounge or Crown and Fin both (given not a drinking class or family activity happening within) can be quieter spots to have a drink (piano bar and pub). Not as quiet as Meridian though as a hidden gem for quiet.

Some really great points that I hadn't considered, specifically the check in location for the kids clubs!

Lumiere's (Titan's on the Wonder) being an open square with a sea of tables to me lacks the intimacy of the smaller defined areas of Royal or Enchanted but there again is a different interpretation and feel for the same space. Seeing the entire room all at the same time and all in it regardless of space around the table has me feel crowded and confined but a smaller space with 8-12 tables feels more open.

The Cadillac Lounge or Crown and Fin both (given not a drinking class or family activity happening within) can be quieter spots to have a drink (piano bar and pub). Not as quiet as Meridian though as a hidden gem for quiet.

That's the beauty of life - we can each see things differently. And that's ok. :)

We loved our first cruise on a classic after three on the larger ships. The only two things we really missed were Remy and Satellite Falls. Otherwise, we would choose a classic hands-down.

Skyline was the only thing I really missed going to the Magic. Nothing really compared to it. But I can live without that...I think.

After nine cruises, we prefer the classic ships by far. For us, the biggest disappointment on the Fantasy/Dream is the adult pool. Not sure what they were thinking. Hoping the two new ships have adult areas that are more like the Magic/Wonder.

After 5 Dream class sailings, we finally did a classic sailing on the Wonder as a prelude to looking to book the WBTA for 2018 when released. Reading on the ships differences and the benefits of each, post cruise IMHO here are a few of the pros, cons and the big myth we found;

Pros
  • The scale of the ships makes getting around quicker (fewer decks and everything seemed to just feel closer even if it was not).
  • Topside food service broken into multiple stations/locations was nice. No depending on Flo's alone and it busy space but rather the same food could be found at Pluto's/Pete's or Daisy's delites with the addition of soups, rices and other world foods at Daisy's being really nice. Pinocchio's pizza was fantastic for a late night snack.
  • Loved Tiana's Place with its live music and of the three main dining rooms, this was the only one felt that had character that was not an open square where all sat together.
  • The kids area, pool and slide being separate from the main pool area had one feel each space was unique and tailored to a certain family age which was nice.
  • The kids clubs (Oceaneer) having entrances in separate locations on the ship (either side of the atrium/lobby) gave the perception of not being as crowded or busy. On the Dream classes both clubs being in the same hallway had the hallway seemed overly busy at times.
  • Castaway with the smaller ship and that many fewer people almost felt empty walking around the shops and at lunch.
  • Getting a cabana was easier competing with fewer people seeking, wanting.
Cons
  • Though areas of the ships have been updated and refreshed, you are still on a 18 year old ship and the bones and evidence of this can be seen throughout. Old hairdryers fixed on the bathroom wall as a throwback to the 90's, caulking where seams have split over time, old tile and trim needing attention in the bathrooms, numerous cracked elevator buttons in every elevator all pointed to being a well worn older ship.
  • The elevators on the Dream class everyone likes to complain about are mammoth in size compared to the small elevators on the Wonder. A family of 5 or a smaller family with a stroller - you'd better grab the next elevator as there will be no space.
  • The classic's have 4-5 movies/shows constantly cycling on a few channels (beyond the normal Disney affiliate channels) instead of the on-demand selection of the Dream class was a big let down. Our family loves the on-demand available on the Dream class for when settling the little one down or looking for quieter time in the cabin to catch a recent Disney release one did not see or wants to see again.
  • The seating in the theaters was uncomfortable and seemingly original. On the Dreams class the show and movie spaces were much more inviting and comfortable.
  • Triton's and Animators being open squarish spaces had the tables feel crowded together with there being less space.
  • Maybe just me but the deck height seemed to be less than on the Dream class on the cabin decks for our shower (split bath) I had little headroom in where on the Dream class, our 6'4" oldest DS seemed to still manage. He not being along this cruise, I'd wonder how he'd shower with the lack of height.
  • The kids clubs even with the updates still IMHO lag behind the appeal of the areas on the Dream class ships. Our youngest was never bored in the spaces but he was always in one or 2 areas where on the Dreams class, we could find him virtually anywhere as many spaces had appeal or activity to keep him entertained.
  • The Dream class with significantly more passengers has significantly more public space, seating areas, nooks and places to hangout or find. We ended up several times in Cove Cafe as a quiet refuge found on the Wonder. The Promenade Lounge I thought could be used for casual seating but I saw more as a hallway than the bar/stage for casual entertainment - maybe re-purposing this area would provide more public space seen accessible for all to use. We used more as a hallways to get to the rear of the ship.
Myth
  • The classics never feel as crowded or busy - how wrong this is. The sail-away and pirate parties were wall to wall on the lower deck and above and felt crammed compared to the Dream class with its significantly larger lower space and way wider upper deck even with more people. If pirate night had been rained out, I have no clue where they could hold for the lobby (where has been held on the Dreams class when rained out) would have been a hazard with that many people in such a small space. Cabanas always felt overcrowded and finding a table always a challenge inside. We ended up eating around the pool which is an option on the Dream class as well but not largely seen used this way - there is no way for breakfast or a sea day lunch for Cabanas to function without these spaces for seating. A sea day the pool decks felt crammed and busier than those on the Dream class.
The classics have their appeal and we will still enjoy the TA given we book, but we will be doing so with open eyes to what they offer and not see or imagine mini-Dream class ships but Disney's first take of what they thought their cruise ships could and should be.
I could have written your post. I especially agree that it's just hype that the classics feel less crowded. Partying on the deck of the Fantasy was easier & less crowded for us than it was on the Magic. We also really wish the classics had on-demand Disney programming in the staterooms. That is our favorite way to relax, & we want to watch the films of our choice, not whatever happens to be on.

We also found the gluten-free dining options to be better on the Fantasy than on the Magic.

Last edited:
Going through cruise withdraw I would take either at this point!!! Yet perhaps because I prefer the classic I do not believe it is hype as to why it feels less crowded, but what area you are in and when you are there. The promenade is no doubt much roomier on the dream. On the classics yes it is wall to wall people for dinner or the captains gala. On the Dream class the pool decks are insane especially on sea days, the kids club was crazy all the time, lines for the slide is long, and don't get me started on lines for characters. Although the time slots help but still we rarely would bother on the dream class where on the classics we would say why not. Peter pan walking around would give individual attention where on the Dream he was fighting kids off. lol Restaurants felt the same to me as I felt they are both equally cozy depending on where you are sat. You really notice the size difference when you forget your sweater at dinner and walk back to get it. lol Without a doubt though the Dream class is a nicer ship in details though. We have done the majority of our sailings on the classics but like you do look forward to trying the other class again soon!

I have been on the Fantasy, Magic and Wonder and love them all in their own way. With my first 4 cruises on the Classics, I was afraid to try the Dream class.... I heard they were crowded, took forever to get around, blah blah blah. I instantly fell in love with the Fantasy! Never felt like I had to walk forever to get anywhere, didn't feel crowded at all except at CC. This is the only place I noticed the crowd. To each their own... but they are all great to me! Hope to try the Dream soon!

Definitely everyone has their own pros and cons list and are entitled to it. I hope those that haven't tried one or the other enter into it with an open mind and form their own opinion. We much prefer the Classics.

Please let me share some serious points. Pros and cons.

Dream Class has less mold and grout issues in the baths. May be due to a newer vessel IMO. ..... yes.

Pro; newer tile and grout. Among other things behind the scenes not seen. Especially in the bath/kitchen category, that are seriously important.

Magic;
con; poor tile and grout. Poor flush function. Possible plumbing issues. Smells.

pros; quieter Dining rooms. Perhaps better CM service, less crowed in therory.

After sailing Fantasy many times, this vessel's bathrooms confirmed our expectations.
It reassured our price premium commitment for the Fantasy.
We have a bathroom fixation/problem perhaps. It could be OCD. ....
We like our bath clean, oh wait, I meant visually clean. Oh, wait, I meant always functional. My Bad.

Perhaps we are just special. lol. And have odd expectations.

Magic; Too small, smelly, questionable sewage infrastructure. Bathroom reliability issues.
Not as stable in big seas.

Just our Experience

Did someone ask?

lol

Did others notice I'm bias towards the Fantasy?

Last time aboard the Magic sewerage flooded a partial deck.
The scent expanded beyond spillage deck.

Imagine that.

Welcome to the Disboards.

Have other posters sailed both vessels recently?

Please discuss the baths.

TIA

Last edited:
Zero issues on the Magic in Feb with plumbing. And we were on Deck 2, which supposedly is the "bad" one.

Please let me share some serious points. Pros and cons.

Dream Class has less mold and grout issues in the baths. May be due to a newer vessel IMO. ..... yes.

Pro; newer tile and grout. Among other things behind the scenes not seen. Especially in the bath/kitchen category, that are seriously important.

Magic;
con; poor tile and grout. Poor flush function. Possible plumbing issues. Smells.

pros; quieter Dining rooms. Perhaps better CM service, less crowed in therory.

After sailing Fantasy many times, this vessel's bathrooms confirmed our expectations.
It reassured our price premium commitment for the Fantasy.
We have a bathroom fixation/problem perhaps. It could be OCD. ....
We like our bath clean, oh wait, I meant visually clean. Oh, wait, I meant always functional. My Bad.

Perhaps we are just special. lol. And have odd expectations.

Magic; Too small, smelly, questionable sewage infrastructure. Bathroom reliability issues.
Not as stable in big seas.

Just our Experience

Did someone ask?

lol

Did others notice I'm bias towards the Fantasy?

Last time aboard the Magic sewerage flooded a partial deck.
The scent expanded beyond spillage deck.

Imagine that.

Welcome to the Disboards.

Have other posters sailed both vessels recently?

Please discuss the baths.

TIA
We sailed on the Magic a little over a year ago, and on the Fantasy a few months ago. Our Magic bathroom stank just a little of sewage, but the scent stayed confined to the bathroom. The bathroom also had a dirty shower curtain and grout.

Our Fantasy bathroom was cleaner & didn't stink at all.

No, it isn't unreasonable to want a clean & odorless bathroom on vacation. That's a baseline expectation, imo.

We sailed on the Magic a little over a year ago, and on the Fantasy a few months ago. Our Magic bathroom stank just a little of sewage, but the scent stayed confined to the bathroom. The bathroom also had a dirty shower curtain and grout.

Our Fantasy bathroom was cleaner & didn't stink at all.

No, it isn't unreasonable to want a clean & odorless bathroom on vacation. That's a baseline expectation, imo.
Were these issues reported and fixed?

Oh boy, dirty bathrooms are kind of a deal breaker for me. :crazy2: So there's mention of the Magic having dirty grout and shower curtains. Please tell me the Wonder won't have these issues considering it had a recent dry dock.

My family and I are taking our very first ever cruise on the Wonder this fall, and I'm really going to be bummed if we have dirty bathroom issues.

I'm already imagining booking a placeholder for a future cruise while onboard this fall. :) I'm enjoying this pros and cons list, because it's giving me things to think about while we cruise!

Were these issues reported and fixed?
No. It was my first cruise, so I assumed the mild bathroom odor was a given on cruise ships. When we sailed the Fantasy, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that's not the case. It was only a 3-night & I didn't want to spend my time complaining, anyway. The bathroom as a whole was clean- it just needed a new shower curtain & deep cleaning/bleaching work on the grout.

I've since read a lot more reports on each ship, and the Magic in particular (the oldest ship) gets called out for bathroom issues & odors. Some kind of structural or design issue, apparently. Reportedly there's a "p-trap" in the bathroom floor that might be low on water if the bathroom is stinky, & if you add water, the smell goes away. That's what I've read but I have no experience with it.

I will add that aside from the issues described and a few couch stains, our room on the Magic was clean and attractive, as was the ship as a whole.

We did get better food and service on the Fantasy, though.

Please tell me the Wonder won't have these issues considering it had a recent dry dock.
We're sailing the Wonder next year and I'm hoping the same thing. I'm really a Dream-class convert as you can see, after our stellar experience sailing the Fantasy. The Fantasy doesn't sail to Alaska though, unfortunately. I haven't read nearly as many complaints on those issues for the Wonder as the Magic, but have not yet sailed on her, so really don't know. Keep in mind that we only sailed in one stateroom on the Magic, so it might not be an issue with other staterooms.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter