Character meals and autographs

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
Do characters still do autographs at character meals? I read somewhere they don't, but I'm hoping it was wrong.

It is being reported cp characters are no longer signing. Have not heard about anywhere else yet.

It's only at Crystal Palace that there have been reports of characters not signing. Instead it seems that Crystal Palace was handing out a card with the characters signatures. This was a very recent change, and I am not sure it seems to be the case every day. I've read a few reports (on another board and on Facebook) that within the past day or two, characters have been signing there. So if they are moving to the cards instead of individual signatures, it might be a gradual change.

I feel bad for kids that bought an autograph book and want to fill it with the signature of every character. I always see them with their autograph books out for the character to sign. If Disney goes to pre-signed cards, fewer autograph book sales!

On our last trip in 2014 I had the characters sign a pillow case so the kids could keep it on their bed. I'm hoping to add to the pillow cases this year. It would stink if they go to pre-signed cards.

It's only at Crystal Palace that there have been reports of characters not signing.

1) For now.
2) But, we have heard the plan is to go property-wide if there is not an uproar at CP.
3) WDW tries new things, and awaits the response.
4) Guests are getting out-of-control with autographs.
. . . they are monopolizing characters, so it takes too long for the character(s) to get around the room
. . . by union contract, the characters have specific on-stage and off-stage time
. . . if WDW violates this, they have to pay "grievance" penalties to the character CM's of up to 4-hours of pay
. . . by using pre-signed items, it speeds up the time it takes characters to get around the room

Last edited:
While I'd be bummed if the characters no longer did autographs, I honestly wouldn't cry. I find it frustrating when the family(ies) before you have a book for each member of the party that needs to be signed. It creates a lag in the movement of the line. The few times that we've done autograph books it's been one for the family, not each person.

Olaf couldn't sign our autograph book when we went last time, and he gave us a sticker instead. My three year old was confused. I hope they figure out a way to continue autographs.
You got lucky. We didn't get a sticker or an autograph card. My DD had her autograph book out after I'd read that Olaf signs autographs. The CM was kind of rude and said Olaf would not be signing anything that day. My DD was sad. I told her that Olaf didn't know how to spell. She's seen Frozen Ever After (dry banana hippy hat) so my explanation made sense to her. LOL. She would have been really happy with a card or even a sticker instead. I wish we had gotten something. The only other character we've met who doesn't sign at all is the Beast, but when we met Belle at Epcot, my DD asked Belle to sign for the Beast, and she did. :) So as of now, Olaf is the only missing spot in her autograph collection.

While I'd be bummed if the characters no longer did autographs, I honestly wouldn't cry. I find it frustrating when the family(ies) before you have a book for each member of the party that needs to be signed. It creates a lag in the movement of the line. The few times that we've done autograph books it's been one for the family, not each person.

That makes sense! I like the one book per family idea.

You got lucky. We didn't get a sticker or an autograph card. My DD had her autograph book out after I'd read that Olaf signs autographs. The CM was kind of rude and said Olaf would not be signing anything that day. My DD was sad. I told her that Olaf didn't know how to spell. She's seen Frozen Ever After (dry banana hippy hat) so my explanation made sense to her. LOL. She would have been really happy with a card or even a sticker instead. I wish we had gotten something. The only other character we've met who doesn't sign at all is the Beast, but when we met Belle at Epcot, my DD asked Belle to sign for the Beast, and she did. :) So as of now, Olaf is the only missing spot in her autograph collection.
I didn't get anything but a picture with Olaf either. I noticed one of the CM's was giving the autograph cards to some of the kids but she was keeping them hidden away in her pocket. I wasn't doing autographs but I'm mad at myself for not asking for one of the cards. They really should be automatically giving them to everyone.

I would be very disappointed if we got a card. I just got done an autograph book for the trip. Maybe Disney should say 1 autograph per person/child at high popular locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter