can of worms here.....yelling in the hallways!

Actually I do find that OKW and SSR are quieter and it's due to the issues you point out.

The hallways at Disney hotels are deemed "playgrounds" where it's OK for adults and children to act out. Why this is I don't know. I travel a lot and it does not happen at other hotels. Parents also seem to think that "Thier Darling" screaming is just too cute to stop LOL! Not to mention that too many parents today use the "sceam" method to "attempt" to control their kids. (Here's a hint. If you have told Junior 10 times that "if you don't stop doing XYZ we are not going to the park" he's caught on. You don't mean it, If you did he would be sitting in his room crying! LOL!)

I agree, but I've also had issues with drunks in the hallways in Las Vegas. We go to Vegas a couple times a year and about have those trips there's at least once incident of some moron in the hallway at 2 or 3 in the morning.

OKW is always so quiet. That's one reason we really feel like we are on vacation there. Some of the hotel type resorts just feel so dang crowded to us. Especially the Epcot area ones. That's a heck of alot of people crammed into those hotels around Crescent Lake.

OKW is always so [quite]. That's one reason we really feel like we are on vacation there. Some of the hotel type resorts just feel so dang crowded to us. Especially the Epcot area ones. That's a heck of alot of people crammed into those hotels around Crescent Lake.

You know, I wondered what it was that bothered me about the Epcot area hotels, and I think you nailed it! I love Epcot, but I have never been a fan of the Epcot hotels.

Before we joined DVC we stayed at a moderate on one trip. Ever night the people next to use made so much noise at night we could not sleep. After several calls to the desk they told us they were from out of the country and had not ajusted to the time difference. I told the CM to ajust us to a differnt room.

I totally agree that parents need to exercise more control over their kids in the hallways. Ours are 16 and 14 and were day care kids. That didn't mean that we couldn't parent. We still taught them to be respectful of others comforts etc. It fine to enjoy yourselves but screaching and screaming in the halls (and in the rooms for that matter) is unneccessary and disturbing to others.

That also goes for the leisure (or as they used to known - quiet) pools. Again, you can have a great time with your kids without continuous screaming and shouting.

Please don't flame me, but we took advantage of the fact that we were Canadians when our kids were small. We told them that they were visitors to the United States and visitors behave respectfully when enjoying others homes. Be good 'ambassadors' for your country ! They enjoyed (and still do) every vacation in the US. This spring their little cousins came along for the first time and I could hear them explain the same to them.

Regarding general noise level, we also prefer OKW in all circumstances but one....the closeness of the hot tub at South Point to the villas. Adults can be just as noisy as kids in the middle of the night ! However, security takes good care of that situation !!!

OKW is always so quite. That's one reason we really feel like we are on vacation there. Some of the hotel type resorts just feel so dang crowded to us. Especially the Epcot area ones. That's a heck of alot of people crammed into those hotels around Crescent Lake.

Nailed it for us as well-only the exact opposite. OKW was not good for us and the kids-it was all "nothing to do, nothing to eat" type stuff when we got back from a park at night. But we do like the night life and action so it did make sense.

Flame away if you want, but . . . here's my opinion. Too many parents today don't "parent" their children - they just "birth" their children. Like the family you noted -- Instead of teaching their kids to respect others, and MAKE the kids be quiet (this is called parenting), they just make sure the kids knew the difference between loud and quiet by pointing out that they were loud (like this helps anything.) I've been at other hotels, and have dealt with the same thing. I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

I advise you to never adopt and if you do...make sure it is an infant.

We do "parent" our kids however, our daughter was 4.5 when we got her and screamed for the first 4.5 years of her life (mainly for food, parents didn't think this was important).

It is often that we are that family....it is not by choice....believe me, you can stick your head into the hall 50 times and it would not work.

Sometimes, kids have issues that you are unaware of, I would not be so quick to judge the parents.

Really don't want to "flame", just want to share another side to the story.

We take our kids everywhere but I too am one of those "mean" parents that make their children listen. We have taught our kids from a very young age that manners and consideration of others are non negotable when we travel.I also use to point out to my kids when we saw a child running and yelling at the top of their lungs in a resturant or store how rude they were being. My kids are now 11 and 12. They will look at me and say "Boy we would be in soooo much trouble if we did that". It is sort of funny now when they do that but in turn I can see our refusung to accept bad behavior has paid off. We were at Jiko about a year ago. We got the looks when we came in with our kids but before the night was over there were at least two people stopped at our table and commented on the manners our children used. Yes it is work but anyone that thinks parenting is easy is not parenting.:rolleyes1

No flames here - - I am exactly the same way. And, what's even better is when I am able to loudly make an example to my DD (who's 5) about how unacceptable and inappropriate a child's behavior is within said child's and parent's hearing. I am the queen of passive-aggressive in those instances. :rolleyes1

I have done this so often, that my DDs age 4 and 6 now point out unacceptable behavior on their own.

I grin every time one of my DDs says "He/she is being naughty" just loud enough for the parents to hear.:rolleyes1

As much as I LOVE VWL I did notice the noise in the hallways.

I advise you to never adopt and if you do...make sure it is an infant.

We do "parent" our kids however, our daughter was 4.5 when we got her and screamed for the first 4.5 years of her life (mainly for food, parents didn't think this was important).

It is often that we are that family....it is not by choice....believe me, you can stick your head into the hall 50 times and it would not work.

Sometimes, kids have issues that you are unaware of, I would not be so quick to judge the parents.

Really don't want to "flame", just want to share another side to the story.
You are so right in this account. Both of our children were adopted at ages 2 and 3. But we found that their bad behavior was better handled with the idea that there was no reward for it. They learned that if they acted badly then there were no trips to the park or their favorite resturant but if they used manners then there were always extra trips and rewards. Our celebration at becoming a forever family was at Disney World but they were both told that in order for a reward like that to happen they had to meet us half way in the behavior department.

You are so right in this account. Both of our children were adopted at ages 2 and 3. But we found that their bad behavior was better handled with the idea that there was no reward for it. They learned that if they acted badly then there were no trips to the park or their favorite resturant but if they used manners then there were always extra trips and rewards. Our celebration at becoming a forever family was at Disney World but they were both told that in order for a reward like that to happen they had to meet us half way in the behavior department.

My kids spend more time in time out than they do time in....I "think" my daughter is Bi-Polar. SHe can be content, happy one minute and then she is screaming like a lunatic. The other concern is post traumatic stress disorder...they think a manurism may set off something for her.

Counselor says she should be better by 12.....I hope I am alive to see it.

We love them...we'll keep them...just wish that they would discover their "inside voice".

Quentina :grouphug: & blessings to you & your family.

Our children understand what behavior DH & I expect from them and that there will be consequences as a result of misbehaving but we'd NEVER speak in ' loud ' or ' loud enough ' voices as other posters here have stated to comment on what other people's kids are doing - - that is RUDE & that type of commenting on what is being observed should be discussed in a private exchange between parents & their kids ( so yes we have pointed out to our kids what another kid may be doing that's inappropriate but in a conversation between US ) - I'll prob get flamed for saying this, call us crazy but DH & I have always reinforced to our kids that just because they/we think they are 'better' in some way, ability or fashion than someone else that gives them or us absolutely no right to make another person feel awkward, etc.

May you find an endless reserve of strength within yourself as your children grow up & I hope that you'll be blessed with others nearby to lean on when you find you need :flower3:

I'm a widowed dad of three small kids, a 9 yr old son and twin 5 yr old girls. When I told family, friends and coworkers that I was taking them to WDW without our nanny, to a person they all thought I was crazy.

While we all had our cranky moments throughout the week, myself included, things went amazingly well. I think it's because we live in a condominium helps when we were in the hotel, as the kids are aware that there are others possibly sleeping nearby regardless of the time of day. I know when my parents visit our place, since they've lived in a house all their lives, they sometimes forget that when the kids are just playing in their room that it might be too noisy.

Also, when we go out to restaurants, be it at Disney or here at home, I'm amazed at the number of people that come up to us and comment as to how well my kids are behaving. I'm not saying this to be patting myself on the back as a parent, after all, we all do our best, but I think it's a sad comment on today's society when common courtesy and manners aren't expected.

You know, I think the kids are getting a bad rap here. I get a lot more upset when it's the adults who act like they don't know any better. My only really bad noise experience was all adults. I was at CR a few years ago in one of the old north wing rooms, and at 4am, a group of about 8 adults in the two rooms across the hall was preparing to check out. They were standing in the hallway talking to each other in what I consider to be "outdoor" voices, and of course, banging doors and thumping luggage. After about 20 minutes of this, I got out of bed and stuck my head out the door and told them to be quiet because people were sleeping. It was at least another 15-20 minutes before they left the hallway. When I have to check out in the early morning hours (which happens if I'm going right to work from Disney instead of going home) I always make an effort to be as silent as possible until I'm out of the parking lot.

I'm a widowed dad of three small kids, a 9 yr old son and twin 5 yr old girls. When I told family, friends and coworkers that I was taking them to WDW without our nanny, to a person they all thought I was crazy.

While we all had our cranky moments throughout the week, myself included, things went amazingly well. I think it's because we live in a condominium helps when we were in the hotel, as the kids are aware that there are others possibly sleeping nearby regardless of the time of day. I know when my parents visit our place, since they've lived in a house all their lives, they sometimes forget that when the kids are just playing in their room that it might be too noisy.

Also, when we go out to restaurants, be it at Disney or here at home, I'm amazed at the number of people that come up to us and comment as to how well my kids are behaving. I'm not saying this to be patting myself on the back as a parent, after all, we all do our best, but I think it's a sad comment on today's society when common courtesy and manners aren't expected.

I applaud you!!! You sound like a wonderful dad who is dealing with a difficult situation.

I do agree that inside the rooms, many folks forget that they aren't in a house, and that others can hear the noises made on the floor or in the room. I must say though, we have had very little of this "problem" at OKW over the course of many stays. The only place I ever hear lots of noise is at the pools, and as someone else mentioned, it is occationally the adults in the hot tub that are the problem. Actually, that South Point area seems to have a bunch that is there drunk on a regular basis. I've started to think they might be off-site "guests" who wander in there on purpose because it's at the back of the resort. I've had that same problem with the hot tub at the Turtle Pond area.

Quentina :grouphug: & blessings to you & your family.

Our children understand what behavior DH & I expect from them and that there will be consequences as a result of misbehaving but we'd NEVER speak in ' loud ' or ' loud enough ' voices as other posters here have stated to comment on what other people's kids are doing - - that is RUDE & that type of commenting on what is being observed should be discussed in a private exchange between parents & their kids ( so yes we have pointed out to our kids what another kid may be doing that's inappropriate but in a conversation between US ) - I'll prob get flamed for saying this, call us crazy but DH & I have always reinforced to our kids that just because they/we think they are 'better' in some way, ability or fashion than someone else that gives them or us absolutely no right to make another person feel awkward, etc.

May you find an endless reserve of strength within yourself as your children grow up & I hope that you'll be blessed with others nearby to lean on when you find you need :flower3:

:thumbsup2, I've noticed when I've had to tell my now 8yr old if he doesn't behave we're leaving the mall, restaurant etc. the crazy looks I get from other parents, but I've I usually get positive comments from people without kids. Now my kids will raise an eyebrow and comment on other kids bad behavior(usually in quiet voice).

Now I guess we've been lucky when staying at the "hotel" style DVC's that they have been pretty quiet. When we stayed at BWV in January, for 4 days I didin't see anyone in the hall!

But then again, I go grocery shopping about 1pm on Fridays and there are always screaming babies and toddlers, who sound like they need their naps. Why go to the grocery store with a tired kid? I don't get it, as when mine were little I'd go early in the morning or after nap time.

They learned that if they acted badly then there were no trips to the park or their favorite resturant but if they used manners then there were always extra trips and rewards.

I think that this concept is one that many parents just can't grasp. IF YOU SAY SOMETHING TO YOUR CHILD ABOUT A POSSIBLE CONSEQUENCE, MEAN IT!!!

We stayed at a non-monorail resort for the first time this year so we had to travel by bus everywhere we went and saw some crazy stuff on the busses. However, it just floored me when a parent would say to their children "if you do XYZ one more time, we're not going to do XYZ today" and then a couple minutes later "I mean it, if you keep doing XYZ, we're not going to XYZ." Then later: "I'm serious, this time...do XYZ again..." Or, the begging - "honey, we paid a lot of money for this trip, and I want you to please please behave for mommy..." Yeah, RIGHT! The day I beg my daugther to behave is the day that I deserve to have her taken away.

These children know that there are no repercussions for their bad behavior and they know that their parents are not in control. I guarantee that if once or twice mom or dad would make good on their statement that if their child acts up they won't get to do XYZ, the child would quickly get the message that good behavior=getting to do fun stuff.

And I think this particularly applies at Disney when parents are trying to do everything the parents want to do regardless of whether their child is tired or hungry or worn out, etc. Know your children's limits and don't push them...most meltdowns happen for a reason!

is RUDE

but DH & I have always reinforced to our kids that just because they/we think they are 'better' in some way, ability or fashion than someone else that gives them or us absolutely no right to make another person feel awkward, etc.

You're right - - it IS rude, and I hate myself for not being able to restrain myself. Still, it's amazing to me, though, that every single time I've had to say something that a child's behavior immediately improves. Children want boundaries and want parental figures to guide them.

And we certainly don't think that we're better than anyone else, but I do think that parents *need* to feel awkward about letting their children act badly. 5forDiz, We can certainly agree to disagree, but that's how I feel.

When you have a child, your main focus becomes (or should become) how to raise this little person into a productive member of society. It stops being about your wants and your needs, and starts being about them. I am constantly on my DD about her behavior, but she is well-mannered, well-spoken, respectful, and polite. When she fails to be those things (as all children are at times), we find a place to sit her down and let her think about her actions until she's ready to move on. I refuse to let my DD's actions negatively impact those around me because, as a parent, my job is to see that she acts well all the time, not just when it's convenient to me. And, my belief is that if DH and I can do it, so should everyone else.

I do judge parents because I see them letting their children get away with anything they want becuase it's too much work to actually discipline them. I find that unacceptable. Period.

We also have complete strangers come up to us and praise us for DD's behavior when we are in public. I appreciate their praise, but it is a sad state of affairs that people find DD's manners and reigned-in behavior the exception rather than the rule, so much so that they feel compelled to comment on her good behavior.

And you should pat yourself on the back - - well done, Dad!

...... but I do think that parents *need* to feel awkward about letting their children act badly. 5forDiz, We can certainly agree to disagree, but that's how I feel.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this :flower3:

When observing other's poor actions or parental inaction, yes absolutely that can be an important opportunity for any parent to reinforce with their own child the importance of good behavior etc., however, jmho HOW a parent goes about commenting or discussing another person with their child is teaching that child something too...

My kids spend more time in time out than they do time in....I "think" my daughter is Bi-Polar. SHe can be content, happy one minute and then she is screaming like a lunatic. The other concern is post traumatic stress disorder...they think a manurism may set off something for her.

Counselor says she should be better by 12.....I hope I am alive to see it.

We love them...we'll keep them...just wish that they would discover their "inside voice".
I promise it does get better. It is kinda funny now when all the other parents are complaining about normal pre teen attitudes I just smile to myself and think if they only knew. My kids are now in the place that they push their limits like any other child but compared to where we came from it is welcome. just stick with it there is a big payoff in the end.:flower3:

No flames from me!!! I totally agree with you, and I'll even go a step further on the "likely to be flamed" line and say we have attributed the LOUD children (and I mean SHRIEKING) to teh preponderance of day care instead of parenting themselves. At the big day care centers, the best way for a child to learn to get attention is to shriek, and you hear it all the time at Disney. It has been much more apparent in the last 5-10 years. Add to the that the fact that those "parents" no longer have learned how to parent, and you have the situation described. Maybe we can even go a generation farther back too. My generation might be at fault here too. I'm a bit of a rarity, since I stayed home with my kids in a time when most mothers were a making careers as well as being mothers. Now those kids are having kids, and two generations haven't learned how to parent!:confused3

I want to make sure I unserstand you....parents with children who attend daycare don't know how to parent? Really? I wasn't aware of that...I wonder what I have been doing for the last 6.5 years when I thought I was being a parent?:confused3

Also I think it is a little extreme to blame loud children on those who attend daycare. I know plenty of loud children whose mothers do stay home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter