can of worms here.....yelling in the hallways!

Flame away if you want, but . . . here's my opinion. Too many parents today don't "parent" their children - they just "birth" their children. Like the family you noted -- Instead of teaching their kids to respect others, and MAKE the kids be quiet (this is called parenting), they just make sure the kids knew the difference between loud and quiet by pointing out that they were loud (like this helps anything.) I've been at other hotels, and have dealt with the same thing. I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

The parents who try and parent are part of the problem. I see them all the time in the BWV hallways (I've been them). Kids who are four and five - in their excitement to get to the parks after their nap (or early in the morning, or still full of energy late at night) run giggling down the hallway. And it actually isn't too bad from within the room. And from behind them, moving slower, booms Dad (or a complete stranger) "Hey, you kids, BE QUIET, people are trying to sleep!" Hint for parents, if you are adding to the noise, you are not helping. You little rugrats will be past my door in a matter of seconds, you take another minute to following them up, bellowing all the way.

Quentina :grouphug: & blessings to you & your family.

Our children understand what behavior DH & I expect from them and that there will be consequences as a result of misbehaving but we'd NEVER speak in ' loud ' or ' loud enough ' voices as other posters here have stated to comment on what other people's kids are doing - - that is RUDE & that type of commenting on what is being observed should be discussed in a private exchange between parents & their kids ( so yes we have pointed out to our kids what another kid may be doing that's inappropriate but in a conversation between US ) - I'll prob get flamed for saying this, call us crazy but DH & I have always reinforced to our kids that just because they/we think they are 'better' in some way, ability or fashion than someone else that gives them or us absolutely no right to make another person feel awkward, etc.

May you find an endless reserve of strength within yourself as your children grow up & I hope that you'll be blessed with others nearby to lean on when you find you need :flower3:
I couldn't agree with you more.

We always ask for a room "far away from the elevators" because our belief is that they are quieter. If nothing else, you don't hear the people standing at the elevator yelling down the hall that everyone should hurry up because the evelator has arrived. And, we've found that the one bedrooms have much less hall noise than the studios at BWV.

There is a video shown on DocZone, http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/doczone/2008/rude/, regarding our increasing unawareness of how rude we are becoming. I teach psychology (college level), at the end of the semester I show this video to my students and we discuss behavior and how we as individuals can change it.

I grew up in a family where the motto was, "Be aware of how your behavior affects others." My daughter also has grown up with this motto and as a result is quite aware of when to be quiet and calm and when it is appropriate to be loud and active. Folks are always commenting on what a great kid we have and I tend to think of what I tell my students, "Model the behavior you want your child to have, reinforce good behaviors, correct inappropriate behaviors and with the corrections explain why it is inappropriate and what would be appropriate behavior."

Personally, I wish hotels would place signs in the hallways reminding folks to talk softly and not run or slam doors... I will get off my soapbox now. :goodvibes

Again, not to open a can of worms here but I really try hard to tell my girls to be quite whether it's midnight or 11:00 a.m. b/c I know people are on different time zones when visiting the world. Any body else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?
I'm sorry that you were woken up from your afternoon naps :(. Unfortunately, people simply don't *think* about being quiet in the daytime. They are retuning from the parks or the pools and their kids are excited ... and loud. In addition, the halls at BWV seem to concentrate the noise where normal conversations appear to be loud. I can't tell you how many times I heard families returning from a late evening at the parks in the hallways and they were not shouting or being loud. It's just the nature of the hallway.

So ... I guess I'm not going to jump on the Terrible Parent bandwagon. While I think it's rude to screech or scream at any time of day, normal loud rambunctious children in the afternoon are NORMAL.

FWIW, I would always laugh when people count "interior hallways" as a plus for Deluxe resorts for this exact noise issue.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this :flower3:

When observing other's poor actions or parental inaction, yes absolutely that can be an important opportunity for any parent to reinforce with their own child the importance of good behavior etc., however, jmho HOW a parent goes about commenting or discussing another person with their child is teaching that child something too...

I see your point, Hon, I really do. :hug:

And, it's not like criticizing others' children is a practice that I do daily...or even monthly. But there have been rare occassions that I feel compelled to act, be it commenting to DD (so hopefully the parents will take notice) or by stepping in directly. Some behaviors cannot and should not be ignored...and if I see a child endangering another child or himself, you can bet that, as a parent, I'm not going to sit by and let a child hurt himself or others, even if said child's parent is turning a blind eye to their behavior. It's not like I'm all out criticizing the child, but more like "here, Honey, let me help you with that so you don't hurt yourself," or "here, Buddy, let's take you back to your parents so they don't worry about you" or (in the case when I'm speaking to my DD) "I told you no because the rules say you can't do XYZ...even though you are seeing those children do that."

Honestly, I would hope that if another parent ever saw DD doing something while I was otherwise occupied, that they would step in rather than let her hurt herself or whatever. Kids are going to try and toe the line any way (and as often) as they can; we need all the support we can get - LOL.

Also I think it is a little extreme to blame loud children on those who attend daycare. I know plenty of loud children whose mothers do stay home.

Yeah, I agree. DD's been in daycare since she was 9 months old and, believe me, her teachers don't take any flack off of any of the kiddos. Maybe perhaps in years past daycare was given a bad rap, but I think that the standards have vastly improved such that it's not a "free for all" that it once was. Daycare is now very regimented and structured...the kids don't get away with much...

I want to make sure I unserstand you....parents with children who attend daycare don't know how to parent? Really? I wasn't aware of that...I wonder what I have been doing for the last 6.5 years when I thought I was being a parent?:confused3

Also I think it is a little extreme to blame loud children on those who attend daycare. I know plenty of loud children whose mothers do stay home.

I was making a generalization and you are putting words in my mouth as well. Just as an observation among young families I know...I see a lot of parents who become overly permissive when their children are with them. They aren't around them all day, and they try to over compensate when they are...thus being overly permissive and out of control.

I do, however, think children raised in large daycare centers tend to be loud. It's a fact of numbers. They need attention, and the only way to get it in a croweded setting like that is to be the loudest. My DD worked in a large daycare center, and it was the thing that drove her crazy and made her quit after awhile.

Yeah, I agree. DD's been in daycare since she was 9 months old and, believe me, her teachers don't take any flack off of any of the kiddos. Maybe perhaps in years past daycare was given a bad rap, but I think that the standards have vastly improved such that it's not a "free for all" that it once was. Daycare is now very regimented and structured...the kids don't get away with much...

And your last statement is sad in a way too. I hate the thought that kids are being so regimented and structured and never really learn to be "real" kids. Maybe that's part of the problem too. When they get away from that, maybe they are trying to stretch their wings and limits, and that might be why parents are having some difficulties too.

I was making a generalization and you are putting words in my mouth as well. Just as an observation among young families I know...I see a lot of parents who become overly permissive when their children are with them. They aren't around them all day, and they try to over compensate when they are...thus being overly permissive and out of control.

I do, however, think children raised in large daycare centers tend to be loud. It's a fact of numbers. They need attention, and the only way to get it in a croweded setting like that is to be the loudest. My DD worked in a large daycare center, and it was the thing that drove her crazy and made her quit after awhile.

I am not going to argue with you, however I didn't put words in your mouth. I simply read what you posted...loud children are a symptom of daycare coupled with "THOSE PARENTS" (your quote, emphasis mine) who didn't learn how to parent. Please let me know what I miscontrued? You actually put "parents" in quotes when refering ot daycare parents...do you not think that was insulting?

So children with multiple siblings must be loud as well? They are all vying for mom's attention or children in school must be loud b/c they are trying to get a teacher's attention? My children have attended two daycare centers in their lives and neither was loud...outside voices were not tolerated inside.
ETA: Here is your post:
I totally agree with you, and I'll even go a step further on the "likely to be flamed" line and say we have attributed the LOUD children (and I mean SHRIEKING) to teh preponderance of day care instead of parenting themselves. At the big day care centers, the best way for a child to learn to get attention is to shriek, and you hear it all the time at Disney. It has been much more apparent in the last 5-10 years. Add to the that the fact that those "parents" no longer have learned how to parent, and you have the situation described

And your last statement is sad in a way too. I hate the thought that kids are being so regimented and structured and never really learn to be "real" kids. Maybe that's part of the problem too. When they get away from that, maybe they are trying to stretch their wings and limits, and that might be why parents are having some difficulties too.

It's not sad to me. DD gets plenty of time to run around and play, both when she's at home or at daycare. However, when the children are in the classroom setting, they are expected to follow a fairly structured day, which I believe is good for them. Don't worry yourself: my DD is as "real" a kid as they come - LOL. :rotfl::laughing:

This thread makes me think of a situation, somewhat comical in a twisted way, which we encountered many years back while at MK, specifically at the Alien Encounter (now stitch) attraction where a young child was completely out of control. Anyone who recalls this attraction would know it was not suitbile for a 7 yo (it scared the heck out of me as an adult). Anyway, kharma took care of the situation since the parent would not...

There was a young boy I'd guess about age 7 or so who was walking up and down the exterior line at the attraction yelling and screaming and pushing his way through the crowd/line forward and backward playing with the chains/ropes. The father was on the phone the entire time and wasnt even watching this child and would call out every so often (approx 5 min intervals) and the child would push his way back through the line of people and when he got to his father he would kick him in the shin and ask what the father wanted. The father yelled at the kid to not kick him and went back to his phone call. Half of the line had comments about this child and many tried correcting him but were unsuccessful as this child was totally out of control. Anyway, the line then moved to the interior queue which is a wide open area and everyone filled in to the open spaces and the child continued to be a nuisance and was yelling and screaming and then started to kick random guests in line. I saw the child kick at least 6 different people who all tried to correct this child to no avail. The father remained on the phone and did nothing to stop or correct this child. The attendant of the line went over to the father and asked that he please gain control of his child and also informed the father that this attraction may not be suitible for such a young child. The father half listening to the attendant and continuing his phone conversation said to the attendant "I paid good money to be here and my child can do any ride he wants". A few other patrons also said something to the guy about the attraction being scarey and not something a child would like and the guy basically kept telling people to mind their own business and dont try to parent his child. So the line progresses in to the pre show where the banisters are at the split level and the child continues harassing people, yelling out and kicked a few more people. One child kicked him back and got scolded for doing so by their parent and the child who was being scolded said somehting like, "but ma, that kid keeps kicking everyone and he doesnt get in trouble" and the child was whispered to by the parent who eyes opened wide and who quickly apologized to the other child (who had kicked him first).

Now the father is still is on the phone while the pre show is going and another attendant came over and asked that he end his phone call as he was disrupting the other guests and finally the guy got off the phone and yelled for his son to come back to him. The kid weaved his was back to the father and upon getting to him, punched him in the family jewels and the father doubled over and yelled at the kid. The attendant (as well as all the guests who had long been fed up) laughed and some yelled out "kharma gets ya every time". So as this guy is doubled over another attendant came up to him and informed him that this attraction wasnt suitible for such a young child and the father basically said for the attendant and everyone else to mind their own business that his child was going on this ride because he paid good money to come here.

So the pre shows ends and we go into the main attraction area where Alien Encounter takes place. The child and his father just so happen to sit about 4 seats down from my family. No sooner do the lights go and the affects start up that this kid begins to scream bloody murder, that he is afraid of the dark and please stop the ride. The attraction continues and this kid is fearing for his life at this point and is totally freaking out and the father is screaming for help. The attraction continues without being stopped and when it finally ends the room goes silent with the exception of the child crying and the father trying to comfort the kid to no end. The lights went on the child was curled up on a ball on the seat crying like there is no tomorrow and the entire crowd began to cheer and clap, not for the ride but because the father and child finally got what was coming to them. Many, many, many comments were made to the father as people exited the ride with some chanting "kharma, kharma, kharma" as they left the attraction.

I think we all felt bad for the kid but he and his father defeinatly had something coming to them by means of payback for the behavior they had both displayed. The child was totally out of control and the father was worse. Again, it may sound mean but they definately had it coming.

I think we all felt bad for the kid but he and his father defeinatly had something coming to them by means of payback for the behavior they had both displayed. The child was totally out of control and the father was worse. Again, it may sound mean but they definately had it coming.
It certainly doesn't sound like you felt bad for the kid since you related the story in such delicious detail about what a brat the kid was and then how scared he was. It sounds like to me that there was more going on than just a bratty kid ... like the kid could not control his actions for one reason or another. Of course the father should have been paying more attention to his child and the the warnings but the CHILD did not "have it coming" :sad2:.

"kharma, kharma, kharma" as they left the attraction.

Yes, "Kharma". I am sad you (or anyone) had to be exposed to such bad behavior, on both the child's and the father's part.

noise or not... BOARDWALK see you tomorrow!!!! Cant wait to get out of here and be on vacation.... if people would gripe about everything in the world that goes wrong then people would never be happy....

I'll be on the side of some of the parents. These guys are probably very good parents guys, I'm willing to bet that for a lot of them it's their first time so they may be a lot more permissive than normal.
A previous poster is right, I have seen some behaviour at the world that I never see at other hotels.
I just think the pixie dust brings out way more excitement and overload than in a lot of other places.

I've found a simple gentle, friendly reminder usually does wonders.

Flame away if you want, but . . . here's my opinion. Too many parents today don't "parent" their children - they just "birth" their children. Like the family you noted -- Instead of teaching their kids to respect others, and MAKE the kids be quiet (this is called parenting), they just make sure the kids knew the difference between loud and quiet by pointing out that they were loud (like this helps anything.) I've been at other hotels, and have dealt with the same thing. I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

This reminds me of our trip to the Wilderness Lodge two summers ago. It was our first time at the lodge and we loved it. Two days before we were to check out, the room next to us apparently became populated by teens. I'm guessing that the family booked two adjoining rooms. Anyhow, it was the middle of the day and my wife and I were enjoying our coffee on our 6th floor balcony. The kids had been getting progressively noiser when all of a sudden the sliding glass door slammed open and one or two of the boys rushed out onto their balcony next door and screamed at the top of their lungs "LOOK AT THE RABBIT!" They continued going in and out and screaming several times. I got the idea that they were doing this as people were walking on the courtyard pathway below them. I guess it was to freak out whomever was walking. I called the Front Desk and that netted nothing that I could discern. Fifteen minutes later and they were still acting like total idiots so I went over and banged - NOT knocked - on the door. I heard them all get quiet and I could tell somebody was coming to look through the peep hole. I stepped back so they could see that I didn't work for the hotel. I heard one girl say to somebody "It's some guy". I said quite loudly "Yeah, it's some guy. The guy who is in the room next to you. You all need to KNOCK IT OFF!" I also told them that I had called the Front Desk and reported them. Not so much as another peep outta them after that. They were quiet like church mice for at least the rest of the duration of our stay in the lodge.

This thread makes me think of a situation, somewhat comical in a twisted way, which we encountered many years back while at MK, specifically at the Alien Encounter (now stitch) attraction where a young child was completely out of control. Anyone who recalls this attraction would know it was not suitbile for a 7 yo (it scared the heck out of me as an adult). Anyway, kharma took care of the situation since the parent would not...

There was a young boy I'd guess about age 7 or so who was walking up and down the exterior line at the attraction yelling and screaming and pushing his way through the crowd/line forward and backward playing with the chains/ropes. The father was on the phone the entire time and wasnt even watching this child and would call out every so often (approx 5 min intervals) and the child would push his way back through the line of people and when he got to his father he would kick him in the shin and ask what the father wanted. The father yelled at the kid to not kick him and went back to his phone call. Half of the line had comments about this child and many tried correcting him but were unsuccessful as this child was totally out of control. Anyway, the line then moved to the interior queue which is a wide open area and everyone filled in to the open spaces and the child continued to be a nuisance and was yelling and screaming and then started to kick random guests in line. I saw the child kick at least 6 different people who all tried to correct this child to no avail. The father remained on the phone and did nothing to stop or correct this child. The attendant of the line went over to the father and asked that he please gain control of his child and also informed the father that this attraction may not be suitible for such a young child. The father half listening to the attendant and continuing his phone conversation said to the attendant "I paid good money to be here and my child can do any ride he wants". A few other patrons also said something to the guy about the attraction being scarey and not something a child would like and the guy basically kept telling people to mind their own business and dont try to parent his child. So the line progresses in to the pre show where the banisters are at the split level and the child continues harassing people, yelling out and kicked a few more people. One child kicked him back and got scolded for doing so by their parent and the child who was being scolded said somehting like, "but ma, that kid keeps kicking everyone and he doesnt get in trouble" and the child was whispered to by the parent who eyes opened wide and who quickly apologized to the other child (who had kicked him first).

Now the father is still is on the phone while the pre show is going and another attendant came over and asked that he end his phone call as he was disrupting the other guests and finally the guy got off the phone and yelled for his son to come back to him. The kid weaved his was back to the father and upon getting to him, punched him in the family jewels and the father doubled over and yelled at the kid. The attendant (as well as all the guests who had long been fed up) laughed and some yelled out "kharma gets ya every time". So as this guy is doubled over another attendant came up to him and informed him that this attraction wasnt suitible for such a young child and the father basically said for the attendant and everyone else to mind their own business that his child was going on this ride because he paid good money to come here.

So the pre shows ends and we go into the main attraction area where Alien Encounter takes place. The child and his father just so happen to sit about 4 seats down from my family. No sooner do the lights go and the affects start up that this kid begins to scream bloody murder, that he is afraid of the dark and please stop the ride. The attraction continues and this kid is fearing for his life at this point and is totally freaking out and the father is screaming for help. The attraction continues without being stopped and when it finally ends the room goes silent with the exception of the child crying and the father trying to comfort the kid to no end. The lights went on the child was curled up on a ball on the seat crying like there is no tomorrow and the entire crowd began to cheer and clap, not for the ride but because the father and child finally got what was coming to them. Many, many, many comments were made to the father as people exited the ride with some chanting "kharma, kharma, kharma" as they left the attraction.

It's stories like these that warm the very cockels of my heart. Thanks for sharing! :cloud9:

It sounds like to me that there was more going on than just a bratty kid ... like the kid could not control his actions for one reason or another. Of course the father should have been paying more attention to his child and the the warnings but the CHILD did not "have it coming" :sad2:.

If the kid really and truly was unable to control his actions, then Daddy should have been off the cell phone doing the best he could with the kid; certainly not allowing him the freedom to continue kick people. That's unacceptable in any setting and there is absolutely no argument anyone can make to the contrary. A good parent would have saw the first kick fly and immediately removed the child from the line or from the park, apologizing profusely to the person whom his child kicked.

There's no excuse for a kid to ever have the freedom to terrorize another child or adult, and certainly not under the "watchful" eye of not only his parent but other adults!

Fifteen minutes later and they were still acting like total idiots so I went over and banged - NOT knocked - on the door. I heard them all get quiet and I could tell somebody was coming to look through the peep hole. I stepped back so they could see that I didn't work for the hotel. I heard one girl say to somebody "It's some guy". I said quite loudly "Yeah, it's some guy. The guy who is in the room next to you. You all need to KNOCK IT OFF!" I also told them that I had called the Front Desk and reported them. Not so much as another peep outta them after that. They were quiet like church mice for at least the rest of the duration of our stay in the lodge.

Again, it all goes back to the fact that children want/need direction. I say BRAVO to you for taking matters into your own hands. [If there was a clapping smiley I would insert it here, but I guess this will do...] :cheer2:

If the kid really and truly was unable to control his actions, then Daddy should have been off the cell phone doing the best he could with the kid; certainly not allowing him the freedom to continue kick people. That's unacceptable in any setting and there is absolutely no argument anyone can make to the contrary. A good parent would have saw the first kick fly and immediately removed the child from the line or from the park, apologizing profusely to the person whom his child kicked.

There's no excuse for a kid to ever have the freedom to terrorize another child or adult, and certainly not under the "watchful" eye of not only his parent but other adults!
Did you read what I said? I agree with you and I said the father should have been paying more attention! I objected to the glee in which the story was related (and applauded by others!) that a 7-year old got his comeuppance by having the crap scared out of him by Alien Encounter. Especially when it appears to me that the 7-year old may have behavior issues beyond just being a brat. And even if he was just a bratty kid, he still didn't deserve to be terrified like that.

I can see if the kids are having a fit and crying and screaming. Sometimes it's hard for the parents to calm down the kids. That is understandable. Sometimes there are kids with disabilities and they might be screaming. That is also understandable.

What I don't understand is if a kid is screaming and yelling in a hallway of a hotel why there are some parents that just don't pay attention OR think it's funny or cute.

Yesterday I was in wal-mart and there was this kid standing in the middle of the aisles just screaming for no reason. Just screaming. The mother didn't pay attention to him but when she did she said "oh you are so silly" and that was it. The kid continued screaming the entire 2 hours I was in Wal-mart. That is what I don't understand.

That being said, usually I have seen some very well behaved children in WDW. Especially after spending the long day in the hot sun. That could make anyone cranky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter