Buyer’s Remorse

I keep coming around to this same idea. If Disney doesn't bring back the huge perks that staying on site gave them DVC's value will go down the toilet. I'm willing to excuse them for the time being but this good will only goes so far. I really enjoyed what Rhino said on the podcast that Disney is a corporation who's goal is to get our money. How the relationship becomes toxic toxic or something along those lines. It really is true when it comes to Disney and especially on this fan podcast.

I’m currently in ROFR day 29 😜 and must admit with the restrictions around bookings It did make me question why are we spending $1000’s on a luxury product but I have to remember just how excited we felt when we made our offer , and how excited we were for the future , and let’s not forget some of us have hopefully bagged a great contract at a fab price .
Disney will bounce back it may take a while but it will be so worth it to hear our first “Welcome Home” 🤪
Hang in there everyone as we ride this Disney rollercoaster

It is interesting how many of you treat what could be a "boat anchor" investment as a great move. From what I can see given the unknowns, it should be evident that waiting things out may be the prudent way to go if you want more points. I was one of the 1st guests at WDW in the fall of 1971. Much as I love (loved) this place, it has become an overpriced squealing financial pig that eats your wallet. We do not need 3 visits a year, to pay the inflated food and lodging prices. Time to look at the rest of the real world in the meantime. You might even have money left over though some folks pay blindly just to be in the "Goofy" club.

It is interesting how many of you treat what could be a "boat anchor" investment as a great move. From what I can see given the unknowns, it should be evident that waiting things out may be the prudent way to go if you want more points. I was one of the 1st guests at WDW in the fall of 1971. Much as I love (loved) this place, it has become an overpriced squealing financial pig that eats your wallet. We do not need 3 visits a year, to pay the inflated food and lodging prices. Time to look at the rest of the real world in the meantime. You might even have money left over though some folks pay blindly just to be in the "Goofy" club.
Even though I don't share your sentiment I laughed SO HARD at the bolded italicized part. :rotfl2:

I’ve got my first contract (Poly) at ROFR right now, and I have to admit, I’m having some buyer’s remorse. Am I the only one? I have fears that post-Covid Disney will be significantly different than pre-Covid Disney. I’m also concerned that I bought in too soon, and that prices are going to go way down in the next 18 months. Maybe once I pass ROFR and get my points in my account I will get excited again. But right now I’m worried I made a mistake. 😒
I'm right there with you having just closed on a 150 point SSR contract add-on. Bigtime buyer's remorse here. I think in the short term we are definitely not maximizing value. Some banked points might go to waste and use within the next few years might not be guaranteed. Additionally, prices are likely to trend downward, which means we overpaid comparatively speaking. That said, I think in the long term you should be fine, and will likely be able to recoup your initial investment five to six years from now.

As for your point about Disney changing, I agree as well. Current Disney is very different from Disney as we knew it prior to Covid. Depending on how many of these changes stick, and for how long, the entire experience could transform. If it transforms enough, it might become something so different that it is undesirable to some. We have to wait years to see how that plays out, so I'm not sure how beneficial it is to be worrying about it now.

So basically, you're locked into the contract at this point, might as well make the best of it, and not worry about what could have been. If you're that worried about the long term I would recommend immediately flipping it and taking a small (5-10%) loss and walking away. Good luck! :)

I’ve got my first contract (Poly) at ROFR right now, and I have to admit, I’m having some buyer’s remorse. Am I the only one? I have fears that post-Covid Disney will be significantly different than pre-Covid Disney. I’m also concerned that I bought in too soon, and that prices are going to go way down in the next 18 months. Maybe once I pass ROFR and get my points in my account I will get excited again. But right now I’m worried I made a mistake. 😒

I am infamous for having buyers remorse about nearly everything. Even DVC. After our first trip, I said this was the best decision we ever made (as a couple). Even with the virus, you’ll feel the same.

I want to add on a 100 points contract so we can do a 1 bedroom "anywhere" for 7 days each year. But Im waiting to see how things at both Disney and the world at large shake out. Currently I'm not seeing any great steals on contracts that would make me want to jump right now over any other time.

I want to add on a 100 points contract so we can do a 1 bedroom "anywhere" for 7 days each year. But Im waiting to see how things at both Disney and the world at large shake out. Currently I'm not seeing any great steals on contracts that would make me want to jump right now over any other time.

Check out the ROFR thread, things might change with the DVC staff coming back, but there’s LOW offers going through. Someone got 160 AKV points for $82.5! We can’t add on for at least a few years, but that one really made us groan and say, “WHY???”

Check out the ROFR thread, things might change with the DVC staff coming back, but there’s LOW offers going through. Someone got 160 AKV points for $82.5! We can’t add on for at least a few years, but that one really made us groan and say, “WHY???”

Interesting. From what Ive seen that one must be a rarity. But Ill keep watching. That is low enough I would have jumped on that one :)

What folks are finding is that low offers, if accepted, are getting through-didn’t someone get $100 at BLT? So don’t mistake what folks are listing their contracts for for what they are selling for.

What folks are finding is that low offers, if accepted, are getting through-didn’t someone get $100 at BLT? So don’t mistake what folks are listing their contracts for for what they are selling for.

Ah yeah didn't think about that.

First time buyer after years of thinking with February closure and HUGE buyers remorse, but not because of cost per point. It's because I don't think I'd enjoy Disney right now. Of course I'd like this asset to hold value, but that's not why I bought. I bought to enjoy it. I used to get excited thinking about the next trip we could take and the constant smiles on the kids faces while we are there. But everything Disney has to strip out of the experience to keep customers safe, it also strips out what I enjoyed most about the trip. No smiles through a mask, and no 'wow factor' fireworks, parades, & characters.

Unfortunate timing of offers/closure had my payment due on the day the market got pummeled. I had 3 offers (goal= multiple smaller contracts) and I backed out of the most expensive 1. I'm in a financial decision limbo right now. I dont need to sell for money reasons, so I'm just going to take a break from thinking about it. Which also upsets me - I wanted to enjoy the anticipation.

We were in the same boat and decided to back out of our contract, forfeiting our deposit and exposing ourselves to the agent's commission. Sadly our circumstances have changed during the last three months and we simply didn't have the spare funds to proceed with the purchase. Whilst we have lost money I'm still pleased with the decision we made. It was the right one for us. We had bought these additional resale points with the intention of renting them out for the next 12-18 months (the contract had lots of banked points) and I think that would now be a lot more difficult with all of the current restrictions and changes.

Tough decision/maybe easy decision you knowing your circumstances. I bet it was the right decision for you at this time. DVC is not going anywhere in the future. Good luck - hopefully some day soon again.

First post here. Just signed up last week. We purchased a 350 pt SS resale contract that was somewhat-mostly stripped for $88/point. 50 points now, 350 next June.

I've had a couple moments of looking to see what other people got their's for, but it comes down to the fact that we felt it's worth what we paid for it, so if someone else gets a slightly better deal then more power to them. The other thing is, just do the math on what an extra $2-3/point off gets you. It's not much. I mean, it's obviously it's real money but think relatively. Even at $83/point, which seems super low, I'd have saved less than $2,000. Again, that's a good chunk of change, but if that amount is the difference between me enjoying what I purchased and not then I shouldn't have been spending $30k + $2,300 per year on DVC in the first place.
Annnnd we're back. is this how it's supposed to work or do I need to use my points first before we add on? We found another contract on our use year that has been hanging out for awhile and are trying to pick it up. We'll see how it goes.

Only have a bit of remorse because I was impatient. After waiting forever for the right # of points and right UY for a BWV contract to show up, I jumped the gun and bought BCV. Of course, within weeks of that, 3 BWV contracts went up for sale with exactly what I wanted.

To the OP, it's not unusual to have buyer's remorse with any big purchase. Human nature. Once you have your first stay, you'll see it was all worth it.

Only have a bit of remorse because I was impatient. After waiting forever for the right # of points and right UY for a BWV contract to show up, I jumped the gun and bought BCV. Of course, within weeks of that, 3 BWV contracts went up for sale with exactly what I wanted.

To the OP, it's not unusual to have buyer's remorse with any big purchase. Human nature. Once you have your first stay, you'll see it was all worth it.
I hear you! I was the same about waiting for an additional AKL small contract, and wanted them for 2021 trip. Decided to jump on a small SSR contract that was priced right and mostly loaded, figuring low MFs and good for sleep around and we do like the Treehouse Villas. 8 weeks later, the AKL contract I wanted showed up! Oh well. I console myself with it’s still a good plan - I saved money upfront as SSR is cheaper and I’ll appreciate those lower MFs, and if I ever do need to sell, this contract will save me the agony of picking between my favorite resorts. :-)
Patience is key!!

I’ve bought 550 BCV points this year with no plans to go until December 2021. I’m a believer that once vaccines are widely available and we reach herd immunity Disney will go back to the way it was with only minor changes that won’t impact your stay. I could be wrong but eventually this will end and when it does I think you’ll see everyone’s behavior, including Disneys, go back to how it was. I am happy to get the pricing I did now in advance of that

I can totally understand that feeling. We bought in 2011, and I was hesitant from the start and needed lots of convincing. Trips have changed a lot over the years, since kids are older/teens, and are wanting other places besides Disney. BUT I'm SOOOOO glad we bought DVC. It has made Disney vacations so much more special and so much more fun. You've chosen a fabulous resort (although I sure wish they had 1 bedrooms!), and you can use those points at other wonderful resorts too. We own at BWV, and love it there, bought so we could walk to 2 parks, but we've also stayed there maybe only 50 percent of the time, and have enjoyed many other resorts. We traveled to Disney after 9-11, and it was weird and different. It's definitely weird and different right now, but it'll get better. Might take awhile to get to a new normal, but it'll still be a magical place. It'll just be a different kind of magic. You've got lots and lots of years and future trips to look forward too. Hope you hear back from ROFR asap. Congrats!

Annnnd we're back. is this how it's supposed to work or do I need to use my points first before we add on? We found another contract on our use year that has been hanging out for awhile and are trying to pick it up. We'll see how it goes.
Accepted. Well, that one was accepted and then the seller backed out. We ended up getting another one that we had offered on. $90/point for 300 points at SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter