Buyer’s Remorse

EM Lawrence

DIS Veteran
I’ve got my first contract (Poly) at ROFR right now, and I have to admit, I’m having some buyer’s remorse. Am I the only one? I have fears that post-Covid Disney will be significantly different than pre-Covid Disney. I’m also concerned that I bought in too soon, and that prices are going to go way down in the next 18 months. Maybe once I pass ROFR and get my points in my account I will get excited again. But right now I’m worried I made a mistake. 😒

It happens a lot with big purchases. If you're still within 10 days of signing the contract you can still back out.

I for one don't believe the floor is going to fall out from DVC pricing but that's just my guess so I wouldn't feel too bad about that. There's a lot of uncertainty for sure but it too will go away I believe.

But if it's truly troubling then back out if you still can - that's what the period to rescind is there for.

I know what you mean. I have my first DVC contract for a large Aulani package waiting for ROFR, which it will no doubt pass. I paid $86 pp which I thought was a good deal, but now I wonder about that and if I made the right move. I think it's natural to question large purchases. Especially those where there's so much waiting before you can enjoy it. Either way, I have a 5 year old and this purchase will get me taking him at least once a year for years to come, so even if the price drops, the experience will make it well worth it to me! I just hope that one day if I decide to sell I don't take too much of a bath.

I’ve got my first contract (Poly) at ROFR right now, and I have to admit, I’m having some buyer’s remorse. Am I the only one? I have fears that post-Covid Disney will be significantly different than pre-Covid Disney. I’m also concerned that I bought in too soon, and that prices are going to go way down in the next 18 months. Maybe once I pass ROFR and get my points in my account I will get excited again. But right now I’m worried I made a mistake. 😒

We just closed this week on Poly and I am excited, but have had the same concerns as you. We bought a small 75 point contract so I keep telling myself that if prices keep dropping it won't hurt too bad.

You will be fine. The price is not going to fluctuate much if at all in my opinion.

It happens a lot with big purchases. If you're still within 10 days of signing the contract you can still back out.

I for one don't believe the floor is going to fall out from DVC pricing but that's just my guess so I wouldn't feel too bad about that. There's a lot of uncertainty for sure but it too will go away I believe.

But if it's truly troubling then back out if you still can - that's what the period to rescind is there for.
I'm well past the 10 day right to rescind window, otherwise I'd be tempted to back out. As it is, I'm determined that since I made the decision to buy, I'll just enjoy the contract. (I'm sure my emotions will catch up.) Oddly, it has not been until the info dump from Disney this past week that my confidence has started to falter. It feels like the Disney I knew and understood has gone away and I don't know what it will look like when it comes back. Hopefully those concerns will prove to be unfounded.

We just closed this week on Poly and I am excited, but have had the same concerns as you. We bought a small 75 point contract so I keep telling myself that if prices keep dropping it won't hurt too bad.
My contract is only 115 points, so I feel the same about that part. I'm glad I didn't buy the 250 BWV I was eyeing. Although, if my fears are correct, and prices do go down significantly, I'd still buy BWV. What a bundle of contradictions I am!

If you are planning to hold long term (10+ years), it won't really matter that you didn't hit the bottom of the market. Eventually, the world will straighten back out and those Disney prices will begin to climb swiftly--probably even more so to make up for this period of debt for them.

Last edited:
I'm well past the 10 day right to rescind window, otherwise I'd be tempted to back out. As it is, I'm determined that since I made the decision to buy, I'll just enjoy the contract. (I'm sure my emotions will catch up.) Oddly, it has not been until the info dump from Disney this past week that my confidence has started to falter. It feels like the Disney I knew and understood has gone away and I don't know what it will look like when it comes back. Hopefully those concerns will prove to be unfounded.

Maybe just ignore Disney park news for awhile! ;)

Late this year and early next won't be great, but hopefully things will improve later next year. DH and I and son and DIL will not give up on Disney! We live 3000 miles away from our kids and it's our meet up place to enjoy being together and adding to our decades of memories. For the price of a couple of nice vacations, you are an owner. It will pay off, I promise! :cloud9:

Last edited:
If you back out after ROFR is completed, you'll forfeit your deposit. So do it now if you are having second thoughts.

I think with the holding off of the new Reflections resort more people will be buying resale. Those of who were thinking of buying into that resort now have nothing so might go resale. (we just did)

As long as you're happy with the deal you got stick it out. At some point Disney will start taking contracts yet so if you're satisfied with the price keep it. There's no guarantee that if the prices drop a lot more that Disney will let that happen.

If you are re-thinking the whole going to Disney after year thing then I'd cancel.

I have 400 points (2 x 200) for BLT. Average price $135.

Could I have got cheaper - sure. Does it bother me -no.

They may come down 10% maybe even 20%, but I am buying something I am happy with. After all the re-sale prices in 10 years is likely to go up.

So its a good investment and gives me something to make me happy. So yes, it may have been overpriced but with it in the knowledge it will bring be happiness for years to come

think with the holding off of the new Reflections resort more people will be buying resale. Those of who were thinking of buying into that resort now have nothing so might go resale. (we just did)
I just feel the need to say again how much Reflections going away breaks my heart. I have long wished for a Wilderness style resort with Beach Club’s lazy river, and the initial designs planned to deliver on that - and unique accommodations like cabins and treehouses for those times we decide to bank and borrow to do something special. It was pretty much everything I’ve wanted in DVC at a location I love!

My first contract is in ROFR right now as well. If I am holding long term, an extra $5 ( or a bit more) per pt will be tiny compared to MF. As with any market, you rarely hit the bottom. You just hope not to buy at the top.
And eventually large gatherings will be accepted again. This pandemic is NOT unprecedented! It is just something that only a few people currently living have experienced. After every previous pandemic large gatherings, social events, concerts, and even amusement parks have reopened. Health screenings may be around for the future, and masks will have a place on store shelves, along with recommendations for thier use, but the social distancing and crowd limits will be gone once there is a combination of vacine/treatment/recovered population that makes that dreaded R factor (How many people 1 person infects) 1 or less....

I just feel the need to say again how much Reflections going away breaks my heart. I have long wished for a Wilderness style resort with Beach Club’s lazy river, and the initial designs planned to deliver on that - and unique accommodations like cabins and treehouses for those times we decide to bank and borrow to do something special. It was pretty much everything I’ve wanted in DVC at a location I love!
Reflections had potential in my mind as well. But then I started thinking of how cool a South American resort with Brazillian and Argentinian style steak houses, Samba music nightclubs, and Jose Carioca for a mascot would be. AKL style detail for South American flair!
And there are enough Brazilians visiting to make sure Disney gets it right - even if it is they decide THAT resort is too much like home to pay for a vacation there...

I know what you mean. I have my first DVC contract for a large Aulani package waiting for ROFR, which it will no doubt pass. I paid $86 pp which I thought was a good deal, but now I wonder about that and if I made the right move. I think it's natural to question large purchases. Especially those where there's so much waiting before you can enjoy it. Either way, I have a 5 year old and this purchase will get me taking him at least once a year for years to come, so even if the price drops, the experience will make it well worth it to me! I just hope that one day if I decide to sell I don't take too much of a bath.
Being able to enjoy some time alone with your significant other while the kids are being taken care of is SO NICE. Then when they are too old for Aunties they will be able to roam the resort on their own. I too just bought a large Aulani contract and am pretty excited for our next trip. Definitely have some reservations though. If Disney doesnt find a way to keep DVC members feeling like they own something special it could become another timeshare where contracts are hard to give away.

Every time I've done this so far. The first time was worse because I didn't think we'd get our offer accepted or pass ROFR (SS @ $93 pp back when). This time around, after it goes to ROFR, on a walk with my spouse, we talked about all the ways the money could be spent if we didn't pass ROFR *slaps forehead* It's a long term commitment and I am semi-terrible at that, so I know where the panic comes from. I've seen the price fall since my bid and it's about $5 lower than what I am paying for. I'm semi ok with that. Mostly because the contract is same use year and loaded. And IDK when Disney might decide to start back up buying back. Go through the list of your whys and it should center you back to the decision you make. Plus, it's not like you can never resell the contract if it stops making financial sense to you. Especially Poly which has many years under it's belt.

I'm in this category right now. We are on day 36 of ROFR and having buyers remorse as well. We bought a front loaded contract with double points this year. I think most of my anxiety is not being able to rent or use the banked points this year. We had every intention of renting the banked points and banking this years points. With everything up in the air I'm not sure that's possible? So to answer your question, you are not alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter