Boorish behavior

I've done other things like "Adult Origami" and trivia during the daytime. It's not like there are no adult activities until 9pm. And there are more than enough family ones.

We made the mistake once of walking into one of the lounges, during the day, into an adults activity with our son in tow. We were just looking to hang out and didn't check the navigator at all. The CM kindly informed us it was an adult activity shortly after we arrived, we apologized and left to hang out somewhere else. No big deal. I can't understand why people would insist on staying after they've clearly been told.

On our cruise two weeks ago we went to the wedding game show. One couple was very enthusiastic about getting on stage. You could tell they both were drunk and were sitting behind us. They didn’t get picked for the newlywed seat and missed that one by a month. Which started the obsecenities. They then tried for the middle seat. It was a dance-off and they were horrible and kept screaming. They weren’t picked again. At that moment they stormed the stage and tried to take it from the winning couple.

Our host kindly asked them to sit down. For the rest of the show they were screaming obscenities and stating it was because they were both women. Which it was really because of their behavior to begin with. They kept cussing out the host and contestants. Loud enough for those around us to hear. Then at the end when everyone was leaving they proceeded to go to the stage and flip it off, still yelling. It was horrible. They felt so entitled and should have just had fun. I was shocked nobody asked them to leave. It was the only poor experience we had.

We got off the Magic yesterday, it was our 17th Disney cruise and I thought I had seen it all. Nope. We had a wine tasting in Keys, and amazingly someone insisted on bringing their small child. The staff tried to talk them out of it but they ended up there, with the child. Yet another "adult only" situation on the ship where parents just break the rules whenever they want. Quiet cove, Cove Cafe, now wine tastings. I'm not even surprised anymore. We spoke to the Sommelier about it after the tasting and he apologized and said he felt like they were gong to make a scene if he tried to make them leave. I couldn't help but take a picture of them, which I will not post. DCL should just stop advertising "adult only" areas since they clearly don't want to consistently enforce the rules in those areas.

I'm someone that usually kind of rolls with things that happen, but I have to say, this one would have gotten a reaction from me. I suppose if it were a "quiet" child, I might just grumble (likely loud enough to be heard), but if it were a misbehaving child...that would likely illicit a response that I would probably regret later! :scared:

So, on topic, I'll ask a question. We went to an adult music trivia game at O'Gills Pub. A family brought a child with them. Clearly a child, likely 10-11 years old, not a young looking adult. She was the only kid in there, it was listed as adult only, yet there she was. Should we have complained? She was well behaved, but once you open the door to one kid, why can't all 500 who are on the ship pile in as well? I didn't complain, but it was annoying that they were flaunting the rules and the CMs didn't say anything.
I've been told that for Pub trivia kids may be present but are not allowed to participate.

How can asking to see someone's ID be due to "racial" motivations? The picture would match the person in front of you.

What bugs me is there are tons of things for kids to do on DCL, why do they even need or want to come to an "adult" activity?
I'm lucky to see my two older grandkids for dinner on the cruise, its like pulling teeth to get them out of those clubs.

As a parent of a young child, I couldn't agree more with this. Not only are there plenty of kids only activities, there are plenty of family activities as well. (I actually think it bothers me more to see kids where they don't belong now that I have a kid because then I have to explain to my son why we follow the rules when others do not. I had that issue when we took him to Alaska before he was potty trained. We didn't let him use the pools and he couldn't understand why other kids his age were in them).

The issue is that a lot of minorities experience implied, and sometimes even direct, accusations of fraud when they are simply trying to pay for their merchandise. Racial profiling in the retail industry is sadly more common that you might think, and it is embarrassing, hurtful, and frightening for those subjected to it. In this particular case, this was a racially blind policy because it applied to every purchase and the system would not allow the purchase to go through without an ID check. But there is a long history of other prominent stores that have no such universal policy singling out persons of color to check their IDs because those stores view minorities with greater suspicion than white customers. This is just one practice among many that are sadly too common, and which can make minority customers feel like mistrusted, second-class citizens. If you just run a google search you will see a lot of examples of this happening: stores that sent employees to "tail" minority customers by walking very close behind them the entire time they shop because they are suspected of being more likely to shoplift; stores that systematically refused to process credit card transactions from black customers over a certain dollar amount; bag searches of minority customers; calling security or even the police on minority customers accused of lingering too long before making a purchase. I am white, but I know that as a white person, I am lucky that I am never going to have to experience what it feels like to have people regularly looking at me like a thief when all I want to do is go shopping with my own hard-earned money. I wouldn't say it is "boorish behavior" for someone to simply ask whether her ID is being checked because of a general policy, or if she is being singled out for a particular reason, because frankly, there are so many times when the latter is true.
There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start. Have you ever actually worked in retail to experience what the policies are? I spent years in retail at multiple "major" retailers including high end stores and none of what you are saying its true of their policies. A LOT of people want to assume that these polices exist and everything is racially motivated, but in my experience, in the deep south, that is simply NOT true.

I have never in all my years of working retail been privy to ANY policy that singled out anyone. Yes, we watch people who are suspicious, regardless of race. It is necessary for loss prevention, because the reality is, people of all races steal. Often. Tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise in a single month from "anchor" type stores in shopping malls, so yes ,we definitely try to catch shoplifters. In my experience they pretty much span every race equally, so a policy targeting anyone in particular would be counterproductive. Yes there are requirements for returning items. In my experience those rules are concrete and apply to ALL customers, period. It is definitely boorish behavior to accuse a store employee who is doing their job and applying the blanket policy correctly of being racist, yet it happens all the time and employees have to just smile and take it.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, if your body has entered the theater and you have sat in a seat, you have claimed that seat. It is now your seat for the duration.

Nice, succinct guideline. I like it. Answers a whole lot of "what if" questions.

Doesn't matter, though. We've all seen the kids trying to save 6 or more seats for their family arriving just before the show. And I have never, ever seen a CM enforce the clear policy printed in the "Important Information" section every single Navigator I've ever seen. Wish it were different, but it is not. I think CMs have given up on that, just like the dress code of past years. If enough entitled folks choose how to act, seems like they often become the norm.

What bugs me is there are tons of things for kids to do on DCL, why do they even need or want to come to an "adult" activity?
I'm lucky to see my two older grandkids for dinner on the cruise, its like pulling teeth to get them out of those clubs.

It bugs me too, but I expect the reason in many cases is because some kids turn out to hate the clubs and refuse to stay in them. So then the parents just drag them along to whatever they already have planned rather than coming up with a new plan for the day.

Plus you have the parents who consider using the clubs to be terrible parenting. That's an evergreen topic on the Parenting board on Cruise Critic.

It bugs me too, but I expect the reason in many cases is because some kids turn out to hate the clubs and refuse to stay in them. So then the parents just drag them along to whatever they already have planned rather than coming up with a new plan for the day.

Plus you have the parents who consider using the clubs to be terrible parenting. That's an evergreen topic on the Parenting board on Cruise Critic.

This is a mystery to me. How can letting your kids enjoy the clubs, which are created specifically so kids can have a great time, be bad parenting?

Too easy, Be Kind and Have Courage.. seriously, no reason to respond/reply like that. Some people are unfortunately just wired that way. No reason for it. They should go back to Carnival.. (sorry, inside voice came out)

Because they're not hovering over the child all the time instead of leaving them to their own creative devices.

LOL There was an article in my local paper by a Mom and it was giving tips on how to "keep your kids occupied during the holidays". I busted out laughing at the ridiculousness of it. It is very very simple. Just do what your Mom, grandma, great-grandma, and all Moms since the beginning of time have done and tell your kids "go play or I'll find some work for you to do". We never went up to our Mom and said that we were bored. If we did then it was one time and that was all it took for us to be cured of our boredom. For some reason many parents today do not realize that having a child learn how to entertain themselves is vital for brain development.

On our cruise two weeks ago we went to the wedding game show. One couple was very enthusiastic about getting on stage. You could tell they both were drunk and were sitting behind us. They didn’t get picked for the newlywed seat and missed that one by a month. Which started the obsecenities. They then tried for the middle seat. It was a dance-off and they were horrible and kept screaming. They weren’t picked again. At that moment they stormed the stage and tried to take it from the winning couple.

Our host kindly asked them to sit down. For the rest of the show they were screaming obscenities and stating it was because they were both women. Which it was really because of their behavior to begin with. They kept cussing out the host and contestants. Loud enough for those around us to hear. Then at the end when everyone was leaving they proceeded to go to the stage and flip it off, still yelling. It was horrible. They felt so entitled and should have just had fun. I was shocked nobody asked them to leave. It was the only poor experience we had.

I thought stuff like that only happened on Carnival????? :)

Oh please.....SMH

This is a mystery to me. How can letting your kids enjoy the clubs, which are created specifically so kids can have a great time, be bad parenting?
I'm totally guessing here but I think it's like people who frown upon going to WDW and leaving the kids for a time with someone else (like another family member, a nanny, the babysitting available, etc) so the parents can do something else (like a nice dinner at Epcot for example).

Some people truly believe family vacation means you have to be with each other 24/7 and dropping your kids off somewhere so you can do something on your own without your kids is a terrible no good thing.

*No offense to those who believe this just explaining what I've even seen just from those who talk about this when planning their WDW trips

This just boggles my mind! Some people........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!