BAD review of GF--please comment, did we make a mistake?

If your looking for a resort with no negative reviews, you won't find one. Thats the great thing about WDW there are many different resorts to suit many different tastes. I plan to stay at them all. Go with an open mind and give GF a chance to dazzle you. If you go around looking for problems, I'm sure you'll find them. Alot of life is in your attitude, be positive and if negatives should happen deal with it then. Let us know what your experience was like.

I love Disney and everything that goes with it but I am sure they do things wrong sometimes. Why is it when someone posts a bad experience about a resort that everyone gets their panties in a wad? These folks are called nit picky, hard to please, difficult, and other not so nice terms. I DO believe that bad things can happen, yes even at WDW, and it has nothing to do with the person it is happening to. These boards are about giving opinions. The OP can get good and bad without resorting to nasty name calling. I don't hear one nasty comment being made at the people that have had great experiences there.

If you don't believe the Ritz Carlton gets complaints you are kidding yourself. Go to tripadvisor some time and read the reviews.

The Ritz Carlton may get complaints but I'm sure that they do their best to correct any problems quickly. I'm not saying that the Grand Floridian doesn't also but part of the problem seems to be people thinking of the Disney hotels as being on the same level as the Ritz. They aren't and thus shouldn't have to meet the same standards IMO.

We had stayed at GF last Oct 2003 and was very disappointed.
The room smelled - we spoke with housekeeping and the front desk yet nothing was done, there weren't any other rooms available to switch to. We were staying with our DVC points, arrived on a weekend and couldn't contact DVC until Monday morning ( we kept on going up the management chain at GF with no success).
May 2004 we decided to give it another try.
As mentioned in the previous post, our balcony too was covered in bird stuff and filthy with cobwebs and spiders. The room was clean enough however the hotel did not have the specialness that it once protrayed.
We had previously stayed at GF in Sept 2000 and loved every minute of it. At that time I couldn't imagine another hotel experience better.
We are DVC members and usually come to Disney 3 or so times annually. We have stayed at all of the resorts and have come to like the Wilderness Lodge very much.
I wish GF would get back to the jewel that it once was.

Originally posted by CarolA
If I were the OP this thread would not reassure me LOL!

I will say that my expectaions for the GF were that it would be a world class rosort based on Disney's adverstising.

It is very nice, it is NOT world class. At a World Class Resort people do not report bad service because it does not happen. We seem to be willing to give the GF a little slack since it's Disney.

I think if most posters stayed at the Orlando Ritz and then the GF they would see the difference in an instant. (Let's just start with Valet at the Ritz they race to your car at the GF you have to flag them down!)

I have not seen the advertising for the Grand to be a world class resort, but comparing it to the Ritz I don't think is a fair evaluation. Ritz hires and pays it's employees as if they worked at a 5 star resort. Disney hires its employees and pays them the same if they work at the Grand Floridian or All Star.

Maybe with Eisner leaving we will eventually see the return of the Disney employee that is valued and the employee that values their job.

Interesting Thread and with some of the posts it makes me leary to stay at the GF. (Something I have always wanted to do). We have stayed at many of the WDW resorts and especially love the AKL and the WL and have never had a bad stay there. The only time we ever had a bad stay was a couple of times at the AS. When you pay so much I think it is fair to expect a lot.

We stayed there last month. I found no signs of wear, it's a beautiful hotel, with lovely rooms. The most comfortable beds!!
My only fault was that it isn't as friendly as the other Disney resort. We stayed concierge , the employees and even the people that were there seem like they didn't want to be bothered with anyone. We've stayed at the Polynesian and Yacht club and found that they were more relaxed and friendly there.
But it is a gorgeous resort. I'd go just to at least experience it.
Ever think of splittng your stay between 2 resorts?:D

Why shouldn't I expect the GF to be equal to the Ritz, Four Seanons or other top resort. Disney advertises it in such a way to indicate that it is in that level and the rates they charge are equal to the rates of those hotels. Disney calls it it's flagship and until it lost a Diamond did adverstise the top rating.... what they pay people really isn't my concern, it's Disney's. Why should I give them a break since it's "Disney"?

I was with a large group at the Ritz and they bent over backwards to address the few issues we had. When I asked for help at the GF, the CMs acted like it was just so hard to deal with "lowly" people like me so I now save them the trouble!

Now my room was beautiful and clean! (However, my room at most hotels is clean, so I don't really consider that a great accomplishment.)

people thinking of the Disney hotels as being on the same level as the Ritz. They aren't and thus shouldn't have to meet the same standards IMO

yes it should since disney wants the GF to be in the same league as the ritz and untill recently it was in the same level (or pretty close). If i was paying the extra for that level of service i'd be pretty ticked off about what others have reported. Yes you can 'just ignore it' but at the GF prices you shouldn't have to 'just ignore' ANYTHING.

to the OP if i was in your spot i would stay at the CR, Poly or BWI (if being close to the MK wasn't an issue) instead of the GF. You'll have just as good of a time without paying the premium for staying at the GF.

When/where did Disney compare itself to the Ritz? Everything I see for the GF, Disney calls it its flagship resort - not comparing itself to others (that would very un-Disney like - acknowledging the outside), but to the other Disney resorts.

The GF isn't that much more expensive than the other Disney Deluxes with close theme park location (Poly, Cont, YC/BC, BWI). Disney charges a premium for these resorts mainly for their locations, dining options, and recreation/activity amenities. They're not charging the premium for a Deluxe because of a higher level of service.

Now, concierge service is charging for a higher level of service. And GF does seem to have the most negative comments regarding their on-site concierge service, compared to the other deluxe concierges.

We've stayed at the Grand Floridian the last four years and don't want to stay anywhere else. We've always found the service to be excellent. Two years ago, my son left his Barney in the bed. It was rolled up in the sheets and taken off to the laundry. I called after we got back home, when I realized he was missing. I received a call from the head person in housekeeping each day while they were looking for him. After two days, they called with the good news that he had been found. I received him three days later via priority mail, with a nice apology note from housekeeping. The food in all the full-service restaurants is excellent and you just can't beat the location.

Go and have a great time!:earsgirl:

Originally posted by Sammie
I have not seen the advertising for the Grand to be a world class resort, but comparing it to the Ritz I don't think is a fair evaluation.

Then they shouldn't charge Ritz-like prices. For the price that is paid at the GF, especially for concierge, great service and cleanliness should be the norm, not the exception. Go to the Ritz-Carlton's web site and compare prices for Club level at many of the beautiful locations around the world. In many cases, the Ritz is actually cheaper. Plus, WDW bills the GF as its "flagship" resort. The BWI doesn't get this distinction and the service, housekeeping, and grounds are far superior to the GF. So yes, people expect more at the GF when WDW is setting it apart from other Deluxe resorts.

And for the OPs who believe people complaining about the GF are nit-picking, what do you consider worth complaining over if not a filthy room and ignorant staff and management? For myself at least, these have not been isolated incidents at this resort.

The GF isn't that much more expensive than the other Disney Deluxes with close theme park location (Poly, Cont, YC/BC, BWI)

all of these are value rates non Concierge. lowest prices standard room to highest priced standard room taken direct from the WDW web page.

GF 339- 415
CR 239- 335 (note a TOWER room at the Cr is cheeper than the cheepest room at the GF)
Poly 299- 385
BWI 289-360

I consider the GF prices to be much more expensive (40-100 dollars per night more expensive) than the other deluxe resorts close to the parks. If they aren't charging a 'premium because of a higher level of service' what the heck are they charging a premium for?

At WDW, you can be pretty assured of above-average service and accomodations across the board.

This works out well if you stay Value and Moderates and not as well when you stay Deluxe.

That's why I stay at the Moderates but visit and dine at the Deluxes. ;)

That's why I stay at the Moderates but visit and dine at the Deluxes.

which is a good plan, I changed from a mod to a deluxe because I got the chance to stay at the deluxe I wanted to visit and dine at the most (AKL) for less than I had planed to spend at the mod. Not to mention the akl isn't too convenient to visit.

Mods are a great value, very nice resorts for a pretty good price. I'm sure i'll stay at POFQ or POR sometime in the future.

I am sure people have had complaints about the Ritz. And I am sure that some have valid complaints about the Grand Floridian.

However, I can personally say I have never had a bad stay at the Grand Floridian and we have stayed 3 years in a row. Our room was very clean, our building was in very good repair, and the staff was excellent.

I think it great when guests can relate both experiences. I just hate to see someone cancel a stay based on a few reviews. When just as many good reviews are available for the same resort.

Every resort at Disney gets bad reviews from someone. You will not be able to find a single one that has not been critized.

Gabrielle stated - "At WDW, you can be pretty assured of above-average service and accomodations across the board.

This works out well if you stay Value and Moderates and not as well when you stay Deluxe.

That's why I stay at the Moderates but visit and dine at the Deluxes. "

Thanks for your view. I strongly agree with you on the moderates. I believe they are the best value and deal at WDW.

However I dont agree with you on the value resorts. I think its better to pay a little extra and go up to the moderates. I dont think you get that good of service at the values and you can sometimes have a bad stay there depending on the groups that may be near you.

On the Delux's, we have never had a bad stay at a Disney Delux and love them. We have never stayed at the GF because it is so expensive but we have enjoyed about 5 of the delux resorts and really love them and have only the best experience at them.

Stay at the Grand Floridian,you wont be sorry,but have a heart, the people in Florida have been thru a lot this past 2 weeks,maybe everything isnt right up to par ,as far the cm's go ,they just might be wore out from all the "fun" the hurricanes have brought them,they have homes and families to attend to also!!
Rest assured though,everyone and everything is not perfect,but i have been staying at G.F since it has opened and never been disappointed!!

:sunny: Just Do It!!

My DH & I stayed in the Honeymoon/conceirge room in the main building for four nights during our FT Wedding May 2001. After staying in a standard room at the Bellagio Las Vegas - GF did not compare in features and price. The GF view was wonderful (castle view) and the conceirge was convenient and the location for a Pavilion wedding couldn't be beat. But, at $700 a night, it really wasn't worth it to us. It is a beautiful hotel, but we plan on just visiting in the future.

JamesMom
------------------------
Planning Trip #8
ASMu - Dec 9-14
(yes, for 1 night at GF Garden View we paid for all 5 at AS!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter