Am I a bad person?

brandijo5

LSU Tiger Stadium - No Place Like It!!!!!!!!!
I started a new job last week. A girl I work with told me today that she is going to WDW in October. I told her me and DH were going in Dec. I asked if she planned on going to the Halloween party. She answered with a half hearted "yeah, I think so." I then asked where she was staying, and she told me she hadn't decided. I told her we were staying at POR. My next lead in was to tell her to be on the lookout for codes and what not to help get her trip a bit cheaper.

Instead of continuing the conversation or whatever, she turns to the person sitting next to her and asks what hotel he thought she should stay at. He told her all about the value resorts, but failed to mention any of the others. I asked him where he'd stayed before and he said "I've never been, but my brother goes every year." Neither of them have bothered to ask me how many times I've been (which is only once, but in my defense I frequent this board daily and have read the UG, Birnbaums, and Foders Guidebooks).

Obviously I had more knowledge on the subject, but it was obvious that this girl did not want to hear what I had to say. I decided not to tell her about the codes, but now I feel bad because I can try and help save her some money if I do tell her.

So am I a bad person if I just keep my mouth shut?

No I don't think you are. Since she didn't want to hear what you had to say you did exactly that. You cannot force someone to learn. :(

McKenna,

I see you went to WDW thanks to Kidds Kids. I always thought that was such a wonderful charity to give to, but never did for whatever reason. Well a little storm named Katrina rolled through on the day that Kidd was having his fundraiser, and then and there it was decided to give the money to Katrina victims.

I have since made it my priority to donate to Kidd's Kids. I think what Kidd Kraddick and his morning show does is just amazing. The only thing I hate is when they read the stories and I start crying and have to go into work with mascara running down my face!!!!!!

LOL I know what you mean about the mascara! Imagine being there in the room listening to it get read it will change your life forever. (tearing up now just remembering)
We love Kidd and the gang. They are awesome people. We have been very blessed since being picked for the trip ... DH got a new job that has allowed us a lot more freedom financially and we are greatly looking forward to giving back this coming year. Kinda funny that trip was the beginning of a significant change in our lives like a rebirth.
I cannot say enough about the charity and how it changes people. We met so many great families that we still keep in contact with. DD has a group of kids that she texts with all the time from the trip. It was amazing seeing her interact with other brothers and sisters of kids with medical issues ... they know exactly where she is coming from which is something that she had never been blessed to be around before. I could talk forever about how wonderful of an experience it was. :) The kids are funny because JT Troy and Chris were our group leader the kids got really close to them. They ask me when they get home from school about what they did on the show today. :)

Hey I don't think you are a bad person, just a dedicated Disser!! Keep up the good work and as I do if the person shows interest at the begining to the info I have then I'll help if not I back off!!LOL

I started a new job last week. A girl I work with told me today that she is going to WDW in October. I told her me and DH were going in Dec. I asked if she planned on going to the Halloween party. She answered with a half hearted "yeah, I think so." I then asked where she was staying, and she told me she hadn't decided. I told her we were staying at POR. My next lead in was to tell her to be on the lookout for codes and what not to help get her trip a bit cheaper.

Instead of continuing the conversation or whatever, she turns to the person sitting next to her and asks what hotel he thought she should stay at. He told her all about the value resorts, but failed to mention any of the others. I asked him where he'd stayed before and he said "I've never been, but my brother goes every year." Neither of them have bothered to ask me how many times I've been (which is only once, but in my defense I frequent this board daily and have read the UG, Birnbaums, and Foders Guidebooks).

Obviously I had more knowledge on the subject, but it was obvious that this girl did not want to hear what I had to say. I decided not to tell her about the codes, but now I feel bad because I can try and help save her some money if I do tell her.

Hardly... It's not your responsibility to inform her of the codes. If she's not interested in what you have to say, then forget it! Maybe she was trying to flirt with the guy! ;) Eventhough I have visited WDW 14 times, I had never heard about the codes until I started reading the forums here. I wish someone would have been kind enough to tell me about the codes. Maybe if she asks you for some advice & is super nice about it... Then tell her.

I've found that people don't want advice when it comes to Disney things. If they need it I guess they come here like all of us did. I've tried a few times to help people out, I've been 6 times and stayed on premise 4 now.... but it doesn't matter. It's a personal thing to most people... its their adventure... if they want to do it trial and error and learn like we had to, thats their deal! I think is was kinda a jerk way to act to you though asking someone else. I wouldn't let them ruin your day.......

Mousebrain
:hippie:

You're not a bad person
It's her own fault if she can't be bothered to listen to your advice.
Let her learn the hard way.

:thumbsup2

We've been to WDW, on property 38 visits and if someone asks, I'll tell or answer questions. I don't just blab out all our secrets, its taken us alot of days and money to gain all the experiences and saving tips, let others find out for themselves, sorry if thats sounds harsh. You just can't force anyone into Disney, they have to find it for themselves, either you like it, or you don't. We've gone with alot of different people, all first timers and some have returned and others have not, guess it wasn't their cup of tea.

Advice should be given with a grain of salt and heeded accordingly. Everyone sees WDW in a different light, likes to vacation in their own way. I hear others talk about trips, up coming and already done and just listen and chuckle to myself. On these boards I'll offer my 2 cents when I feel its approiate, or if a reasonable question is asked, everything else, I keep to myself. I feel if too much is devulged than its out and it won't be our secret area, plan or tip, again selfish but we scour the world when there to get the most out of our trips.

I dont think you are a bad person at all.... I think you should say after she gets back from the trip that you could have saved her money if she only listened to u! :lmao: :cool1:

Let her pay rack rates, if that is what she wants.

I don't think you are a bad person. It sounds like to me, she has more money than brains. Any smart person would take any and all info on going to Disney and saving money.

It's hard for someone who hasn't been to WDW to digest a lot of information, anyway. It took me YEARS to learn how to really get the most out of a WDW trip. You really have to go at least once before you have a clue! So let it go, maybe after the trip she'll have some questions.

I have been with my company for 10 yrs, but I've seen many new employees come through the doors. I have a feeling her perceived lack of interest has more to do with you being a new employee. I know for me it takes a while to open up to someone who is new. Give it a few weeks, and I'm sure she'll be more open to your advice.

No, you are not a bad person!!!! What's up with her asking someone else his opinion on the subject when you were having the conversation with her anyway?:eek:

you are not a bad person, she just chose to start conversing with someone else, while you were conversing with her.
:surfweb:

If she asks you for help... tell her then... if not and you have already made a small attempt... let her live and learn... Luckily here where I work word has gotten around that I am a Disney Addict so I don't have to push the issue much and they come to me for help.. those who know anyways lol:rotfl:

Not at all. She did not want to hear, so don't waste your time. :)

We've been to WDW, on property 38 visits and if someone asks, I'll tell or answer questions. I don't just blab out all our secrets, its taken us alot of days and money to gain all the experiences and saving tips, let others find out for themselves, sorry if thats sounds harsh. You just can't force anyone into Disney, they have to find it for themselves, either you like it, or you don't. We've gone with alot of different people, all first timers and some have returned and others have not, guess it wasn't their cup of tea.

Advice should be given with a grain of salt and heeded accordingly. Everyone sees WDW in a different light, likes to vacation in their own way. I hear others talk about trips, up coming and already done and just listen and chuckle to myself. On these boards I'll offer my 2 cents when I feel its approiate, or if a reasonable question is asked, everything else, I keep to myself. I feel if too much is devulged than its out and it won't be our secret area, plan or tip, again selfish but we scour the world when there to get the most out of our trips.

This pretty much sums up my view. When I've been asked for an opinion about WDW or DLR, I've found that others are rarely interested in substantial or detailed information. Many times I've gotten the impression that I'm being asked to validate opinions, conclusions, or decisions that have already been made. Refraining from offering advice when it is not requested does not cast anyone in a "bad light," imo. My bottom line these days is that I answer specific questions that are asked, but I do not proffer unsolicited advice because, in my experience, unsolicited advice is often ignored or unappreciated.

I think you did the right thing. In fact, if I were you, I'd be happy that I didn't give away all of my hard researched secrets away to someone who couldn't care less!

You really can't do anything to help them anyways. I agree with Snookies, most of the time they say, "Oh I just don't know what we'll do..." when they've already decided. It bothers me so much! They couldn't care less if you told them the location of the fountain of youth, your opinion is void on the subject if it differs from theirs.

We do research on WDW because we want to enjoy the magic with as little pain and unpleasantries as possible. We don't know everything, but at least we try our best to learn before we leap. It's obvious that you were trying to be helpful, but don't worry too much about what happened. I'm certain that you will have a much better vacation than she will.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter