ALL Aboard a WONDERful TR! FEB 2010 - 3/29 Final Ramblings & a PTR!

We have to get back to a Disney Cruise sometime soon! I think two days at CC sounds heavenly. Eager to hear about HH, and the pretrip report. We have to get our meet together!

Your photos are stunning :thumbsup2 You have really captured the essence and vibrancy of the islands. Really fantastic trip report .... reading it has totally made me homesick for Castaway Cay :cloud9:

Sounds like a great last night...well, if any last night is great:rolleyes:

Can't wait to hear about HH!:goodvibes

Lovely last evening! I must admit, you had me looking at February cruises for 2011 after reading all about yours. We have a four-day weekend for President's Day, and it would be so nice to escape for an adults-only trip. I was so sad to read your cruise was over, but then, you reminded me about your night in Hilton Head. Looking forward to reading all about that now, and of course, seeing what souvenirs you picked up!

THAT IS WHEN WE ARE GOING AND SO IF YOU EVEN REMOTELY ARE CONSIDERING IT THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WHEN YOU SHOULD GOOOOOOOOOO :rotfl:
Okay, enough said.

THAT IS WHEN WE ARE GOING AND SO IF YOU EVEN REMOTELY ARE CONSIDERING IT THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WHEN YOU SHOULD GOOOOOOOOOO :rotfl:
Okay, enough said.

I wanna go too!!! Wonder if I could talk the Disney Grump into it.........

You're last night sounds great! Looking forward to hearing about HH. :thumbsup2

The February 17th or the February 20th one? You weren't kidding about how reasonable they are at that time of year! :eek:

We are booked this time for the 4 night, the one that leaves Sunday I think it is... the 20th. We have to take three days off. With the three day, it is the Thursday departure -- we had to take two days off, but we also took the Monday off since we went to HH for one night. on the 3 day you get back Sunday am, with Monday the holiday that is kinda nice... we are planning to take the Tue, Wed and Thurs after President's day. It is a good deal I think. I mean the weather can be a gamble, I guess, but we were and are willing to take that bet.

:woohoo: Maybe we will run into each other! I hope that all goes well on this cruise. I really want to try a 7 day but was so afraid of motion sickness and wondering if we would like it or not. Plus, DH was insistent on the verandah. :sad2: That worries me even with DS being 8 going on 9 when we go. Plus, I am afraid of heights! Dear lord, with motion sickness and my fear of heights I might get off in the Bahamas and never go home :scared1:!

popcorn::Look forward to your next update!
'
Erika

You will totally love the boat!! We had a verandah room when we went on the 7 day cruise... It is Disney, I am SURE they have thought of everything when it comes to safety for children even in those rooms... ::yes::

And yes! I am sure we will see eachother! I think that people have a cruise DIS Meet thread, I remember seeing it.

Hi. I have been a lurker until yesterday when after reading such wonderful trip reports from you and other members I decided to jump in and admit that I too am addicted to disney !!!

We (my DH, DS8, DS7, and DD5 and I) have been to the WORLD countless times and went on the 4 day cruise for the first time in January last year. We had a lot to learn but had a wonderful time. At that time, they had a special offer where you could book another cruise in the fall for $99pp. How could we turn that down?? So we went on our three day cruise in mid august last year. We loved the experience on so many levels and the kids are always talking of going back.

I have really enjoyed your accounts of your trips. I must admit that I am very jealous of how your DH is right there on board with you when it comes to Disney. I am in the opposite camp of people with a DH who goes to Disney for the sake of family time but would rather be vacationing elsewhere (preferably exploring the great outdoors).

I wanted to ask you about the future cruises you booked while on board this past cruise. How much of a discount did you get and were you able to apply the discount to the cruise you had already booked with the kids for the summer of 2011?

Thank you once again for sharing and I look forward to reading more (so get going on writing!). :goodvibes

Hello!!!! WELCOME!!! SO glad you have had fun reading along. I have had fun writing! With the cruises, we booked a second one, but with the cruise we already had, we couldn't apply the deal, but we could rebook. After some thought we decided to do that instead, so we just rebooked. We got a different room cat for the same price of the original booking (which was a step down in categories). Though we may get an upgrade after all, we liked the incentives: 1/2 the deposit and a $100.00 on board credit. We also got $50.00 for the Disney Visa. So that was nice, and it was discounted 10%

I'm so enjoying your trip report! :goodvibes

Gee Thanks! I had fun writing this one!

I love the towel guy! It is so perfect for pirates.

What an incredibly relaxing three days. I will get on a DCL trip one of these days.

I can't wait to read/see HH.

It was really exactly what the Dr. ordered! Fun. I still have tan lines :goodvibes

HH is neat, I am glad to share! :upsidedow

Love the towel guy! :thumbsup2 He looks just like the POTC character! Can't wait to hear about Hilton Head!
Cool wasn't it!!

Coming up tonight!!!

Lovely last evening! I must admit, you had me looking at February cruises for 2011 after reading all about yours. We have a four-day weekend for President's Day, and it would be so nice to escape for an adults-only trip. I was so sad to read your cruise was over, but then, you reminded me about your night in Hilton Head. Looking forward to reading all about that now, and of course, seeing what souvenirs you picked up!

Already said my piece about the cruise!!! ;)

My update with HH is coming up tonight! I have pics and more pics!

What a lovely evening! I can't wait to read all your tips. I have a ton of questions for you but I will wait and see if they are answered in the tips first.

Erika

I will tell you what I know, but I will say that the Passporter guide for cruises was a great resource!!!! They have a new one coming out this fall I think...

Señor DonDuck;35889262 said:
Whoa, that's a big towel critter!

I know!!!! Very complex! :) Very appropriate of course -- seeing how we had just visited the Dutchman! pirate:

We have to get back to a Disney Cruise sometime soon! I think two days at CC sounds heavenly. Eager to hear about HH, and the pretrip report. We have to get our meet together!

I will share all about HH, it was really quaint! AND YES! We will get organized for our summer trips and meeting up!, we'll figure that out! :thumbsup2

Your photos are stunning :thumbsup2 You have really captured the essence and vibrancy of the islands. Really fantastic trip report .... reading it has totally made me homesick for Castaway Cay :cloud9:

Let me tell you I could have taken many many more! Next time I will bring a smaller camera with me, too -- it would have been better for Castaway. I feel the same way!!!

Loving your TR! We will be taking our first cruise - a Disney of course May 2011...this report certainly makes me want it to hurry up!

We are booked this time for the 4 night, the one that leaves Sunday I think it is... the 20th. We have to take three days off. With the three day, it is the Thursday departure -- we had to take two days off, but we also took the Monday off since we went to HH for one night. on the 3 day you get back Sunday am, with Monday the holiday that is kinda nice... we are planning to take the Tue, Wed and Thurs after President's day. It is a good deal I think. I mean the weather can be a gamble, I guess, but we were and are willing to take that bet.

I would love to be able to do this kind of thing because the price is so great but my district doesn't allow me to take any days before or after a holiday.:sad2:

It was really exactly what the Dr. ordered! Fun. I still have tan lines :goodvibes

Tan lines!

Wow. I was swapping out my closet for spring stuff, putting winter in the back today (and need to be able to find my work clothes again lol) and realized how WHITE I am right now.

I want tan lines!

So on our way we went, up to Disney’s Hilton Head resort. This was for a one night’s stay, to break up our drive. We rolled in around 2pm. Here are some photos of the main entrance/check in area. There is a nice common room with a pool table, etc. Everything is very rustic, reminds one of a summer “camp”! :laughing:

Cruise2010154.jpg

Cruise2010152.jpg

Cruise2010151.jpg

Once we got our keys, we dropped our stuff off and walked around to enjoy the grounds… Well actually we went to the pool house first, walked along the beach, and then came back to the resort proper (we wanted to enjoy the best part of what was remaining daylight on the beach. (I realize that I copied these photos out of order, but you will see everything!) The beach house is actually on the OTHER side of the major road on Hilton Head, and you have to drive, ride a bike, or take their shuttle to get to it. We drove over. The beach house pics are last, but just know we went there first! :laughing:

There was a note to look for the “Hidden Mickey’s” in the mantle.. See them??!!

Cruise2010148.jpg

Cruise2010149.jpg

From the main “Lodge” then you can walk along this boardwalk area to the rest of the buildings. It is a neat feature, and at night is probably really pretty. Most of the lodging is 1 and 2 bedroom villas – the only studios are attached to the main building. Here is the pool, the fire pit (where they have stories, etc) and while I didn't get a photo, they have a counter service food option on property, a small shop, and game and exercise rooms.

The mascot on the property is a dog, by the name of Shadow. We saw him along with a CM who played the fiddle, they were on the front porch to the main entrance when we arrived, they were not there when we got back from the beach house, though, so I didn't get a photo!! but apparently when they were building the resort, a stray dog (golden retreiver looking) kept hanging around and the workers "adopted" him... so I suspect they have had a few "Shadows" at this point, but the idea is still the same, and it was a nice greeting when we arrived...:goodvibes

Cruise2010139.jpg

Cruise2010150.jpg

Cruise2010145.jpg

Cruise2010143.jpg

Cruise2010142.jpg

Cruise2010141.jpg

Cruise2010140.jpg

So here are the BEACH house photos…. It is a nice area, with a pool that has a great view of the beach, and nice airy common room, a similar quick service eatery, and of course beach access! I didn’t take too many photos here because I didn’t want to pull out my camera in the sand. It was a beautiful day, cool, obviously, but sunny and pleasant. :thumbsup2

Cruise2010138.jpg

Cruise2010137.jpg

Cruise2010136.jpg

Cruise2010134.jpg

Cruise2010135.jpg

Once we returned, walked around, and the sun was starting to set, we turned our attention to dinner!!! We ended up going out for Thai food. We thought about seafood, obviously!, but I was in the mood for Thai, and there is a series of family owned restaurants there on HH which had a fantastic rep, so we went and it did NOT disappoint! VERY VERY good!

Unfortunately, about now my camera told me my photo card was “full” (I hadn't cleared it of our Feb Disney Getaway pics yet! So alas, I didn’t get any more photos, this is even after I deleted some not so good shots! :headache: As a result, I didn’t get a room photo! But it was a nice room, very woodsy/cabin like, reminded me vaguely of Fort Wilderness, but more fish and boats in the décor!!!! You can see them on the website, though. HH is certainly low key (at least in February!) but I am sure it can be a fun and busy place in the summer! It is also a small resort, so that makes it quaint, too. I would enjoy spending time here in the summer – but my inlaws have a beach house in NC, so I don’t know that I could justify spending my vacation $ here for a long period of time .. it had the Disney touches, I wish the beach access was at the resort. These last few photos are the neat welcome packet they gave us (it was so cute, obviously designed for HH, so I thought I would share) and I loved the door handles.
A perfect "closure" to our HH pit stop!!!

Cruise2010153.jpg

skiingandshopping043.jpg

skiingandshopping042.jpg

Staying here for the night gave us a chance to see another side of Disney, like the cruise did, and it also has me really curious about Vero! Vero does have direct beach access from the resort, and a miniture golf course, so I am looking forward to trying out Vero with the kids this coming summer!

COMING UP NEXT... SOME SOUVENIRS!!!!!

OBVIOUSLY, I had already been on a shopping spree at Disney just a few weeks earlier!!! SO, I kept my purchases to a few Cruise themed items!!

Well, you don’t get the full effect here, but these are the EMPTY souvenir cups that we were using on Castaway Cay… We ended up getting a second coconut for both of our “little nuts” at home …. :laughing:

skiingandshopping050.jpg

Conch coolers! Maybe if I drink one out of this cup at home I will magically be transported to Castaway Cay…. :rolleyes:

NOT. :headache: OH well, one can imagine!!!

Here are all the materials that they gave us on the ship, the daily planner (called a Personal Navigator), with events, activities, and all the show times, including the daily “drink special” and shopping deals!! You get one for each day of the cruise...

skiingandshopping036.jpg

skiingandshopping035.jpg

Here is the map of Castaway Cay, I realize I didn't rotate the image, so crane your neck!! :laughing:

skiingandshopping037.jpg

Now I mentioned they have a Photopass service on board, but they actually print ALL your pics and then you can purchase them. We only had a few photos taken, I liked a couple different ones, but they are not cheap. SO, I bought this one (they have two copies -- so I sent one to my parents).

skiingandshopping034.jpg

skiingandshopping039.jpg

This is the brochure that they have to lure you into signing up for another cruise... well, it works... BUT more on that later!! :rolleyes1

skiingandshopping038.jpg

For the boys I bought two different teeshirts. I really like the one with the cruise line art work at the bottom.. these will get some wear this summer, and should still fit next summer (at least for one of them!!) When we do actually go on the cruise in June 2011!

I also bought a couple pins. ONE for me (the cruise line pin) and one for DS4 (with his beloved starfish!)

skiingandshopping032.jpg

skiingandshopping033.jpg

skiingandshopping028.jpg

skiingandshopping029.jpg

skiingandshopping030.jpg

I also bought myself a sticky note pad, and a neat magnet of The Wonder. I didn't load the photo, though, so I will add it to my TR in my final post!

skiingandshopping031.jpg

I have some final thoughts to share, of course, and will do that later this evening, BUT also, most exciting news...

:jumping1: 90 DAYS UNTIL SUMMER FUN AT WDW!!! :jumping1:

STAY TUNED....

HH looks really nice! I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting it to be so rustic - I like it though, sounds like the perfect way to break up that long drive home :goodvibes

I really like that Castaway Cay shirt! And the pins!

Looking forward to your final thought and hearing about all your new cruise plans!

I did not know HH had a pool at the beach house. We had roamed around the resort once, but not down to the beach. I hope we get there someday... but summer will be tough!

love the shirts... and vacation is coming!

Ha, that pool table at HH looks just like the one we have at home!

Thanks for posting a picture of the conch cooler cups! I've been wondering what those things came in.

I just wanted you to know that I finally had a chance to sit down and read through your TR!! WOW--it looks like a fabulous cruise--definitely on my short list of Disney things I want to do!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter