ALL Aboard a WONDERful TR! FEB 2010 - 3/29 Final Ramblings & a PTR!

Great updates! Staying on the ship is exactly what I would do on a 3 day cruise! Gotta get as much of the ship as you can, right?

Your night sounds great! I have heard that the Toy Story show is really cute! The movie theater sounds nice too! Fireworks at sea HAS GOT to be amazing!!! :cloud9:

Very much looking forward to hearing about Castaway Cay! :goodvibes

Sara

I'm a little concerned about not doing a beach day in Nassau with the # of times the ships have missed CC. I see the 4/4 Wonder is sold out of Atlantis days and am thinking of just a taxi to a beach for some sun/sand/water.

Being under 100 days is fantastic. I made an adr today and realized it will be here soon!

Okay, after this next update, I am sure you will see why I was seriously wishing I could set up camp and stay at Castaway Cay until the next cruise ship showed up... :rolleyes:

After another fun evening on the ship we headed to sleep with visions of a fabulous serene beach in our head. And, well, that is what we got!

The next morning, we headed over to the exercise room again, grabbed latte’s (again!) and went to Triton’s for breakfast (again :laughing:). Meanwhile, the boat was busy docking at Castaway Cay!

The Captain was telling us (via the ship intercom) that winds might bring a storm towards us, to the point he might have to call us to the ship earlier than the regular 4:30 departure time. If that were the case he would let us know, but for now all was clear for a great day on Castaway Cay. HE was not kidding, and a beautiful day was indeed bestowed upon us!

After breakfast we packed up our beach bag and with suits on, headed off for a serene day, at, where else? SERENTITY BAY!

This was the day I was waiting for, and on a three day cruise is definitely the highlight in my opinion!

I had heard a few stories where the cruise ship was unable to get to Castaway Cay because of the winds and the water not allowing the ship to dock… fortunately we were able to enjoy this day. We were off the ship and taking the tram over to the second tram to get a ride to the other side of the Island with the adults only beach.

Here are some photos along the way! Just some pics of the boat, the pathway to Castaway Cay and the Flying Dutchman (I have others later in the post, too)... You can see all the little "Disney" touches that surround you... everthing from the music, to the landscaping, to the names of the places, and the coordinated CMs!!! They might be a little out of order, from the boat along the way, but you will get the idea! I added in a few that I had taken on the way BACK to the ship, since I mised those on the way in! I was too excited to get to my destination! :laughing:

Cruise2010103.jpg

Cruise2010113.jpg

Cruise2010108.jpg

Cruise2010110.jpg

Cruise2010074.jpg

Cruise2010075.jpg

Cruise2010076.jpg

Cruise2010077.jpg

Cruise2010079.jpg

Cruise2010080.jpg

Oh. THIS is my only other "self portrait"!!!! :rotfl: My pedicure and my new flip flops! They are Yellow Box Brown sparkly straps, LOVE em! :thumbsup2 They match perfectly with the new beach coverup I bought for the cruise, which is also a cocoa brown.

Cruise2010081.jpg

This is the family beach, one of two, but closest to the snorkeling bay, etc. the other side, is where they are putting in the new slide!

Cruise2010084.jpg

Cruise2010083.jpg

Here is some random guy waiting for the tram...

Cruise2010078.jpg

AT LAST!!! Here is where we had our sights set… :cloud9:

Cruise2010089.jpg

So in no time, we were on the beach, in lounge chairs, ordering our first conch cooler well before 11am! :rolleyes1

This is the VIEW from my chair... I have several shots of this view... :rolleyes1

Cruise2010088.jpg

MORE in the NEXT POST!!!!! :cloud9:

Great review! Can't wait to hear the rest of it. My boyfriend and I and another couple we are friends with are all going on a 3-day Disney cruise in May--none of us have kids so I love reading about someone else who went on a Disney Cruise without kids :)

Also, I'm still trying to figure out the Conch Cooler thing. Is it just a mixed drink or does it come in a cool cup or something?

The view, the quiet, the cocktails on the beach, the breeze, the sun, it was perfect :lovestruc

We had a couple rounds of Conch coolers, dozed, read, and then walked along the beach in the water a bit as well. I didn't dare take my camera so I am sorry that I didn't get photos, but we saw starfish, and other little fish flitting about. the tide was out so the water in the pics you can see was knee deep or less. We didn't swim, but some people were.

Cruise2010088.jpg

Cruise2010087.jpg

Cruise2010085.jpg

Cruise2010090.jpg

Cruise2010092.jpg

Cruise2010091.jpg

We hung out on the beach until near 2pm. We then walked to the BBQ lunch spot -- at the main beach area it is called "Cookie's BBQ" but at Serenity Bay it was something else -- they had grilled flank steak , ribs, fish, chicken, burgers, salads, fruit, and ice cream and cookies. Perfect beach weather fare! I had a fabulous bit of steak with chimichurri sauce, ribs, and some great salads and fruit... and my daily dose of ice cream!!!!

Here are a two more photos, I borrowed these, to show you more of the decor and the details of the area.

SerenityBar.jpg

Airsock.jpg

After a very yummy lunch in the open air seating, we walked back to the main beach vs. taking the tram. It was worth it after eating so much! And the walk is along the "air strip" where you can ride bicycles.

Once we got back to the main beach, we went straight to the bar...
(well they WERE having two for one!! AND we needed to buy another souvenir cup... :rolleyes:)

This time we got mango margaritas, and with these, we just walked around and explored, shopped at She Sells Sea Shells and More!, and slowly started heading back to the boat around 3:30 pm....

Here is the bar... :laughing:

Bar2.jpg

okay, okay, and more of what we saw as we walked about... They are building some private cabanas and a water slide, these are supposed to open this summer, so hopefully WigD will see it in action! It looks great!! There was another bar on that end of the beach, but we hadn't finished our margaritas and we needed to be able to find our way back to the boat!! They had a HUGE line up of hair braiders, like eight of them! I would never have the patience for that, and it kinda looks like it hurts! :headache: BUT it does look neat when it is done!

Cruise2010093.jpg

Cruise2010094.jpg

Cruise2010095.jpg

Cruise2010109.jpg

Cruise2010082.jpg

Cruise2010096.jpg

Obviously the Flying Dutchman is a really cool addition to Castaway Cay. It wasn't there when we were here 10 years ago, so it was fun to see it! The detail of the ship is SOOOOOOOO cool. I hope you can see some of it in these photos...

Cruise2010098.jpg

Cruise2010099.jpg

Cruise2010100.jpg

Cruise2010101.jpg

Cruise2010111.jpg

Cruise2010073.jpg

CONTINUED in the NEXT POST!!!

I told you I took lots of photos!!! :rotfl:

Here are the last of them...

Cruise2010112.jpg

Cruise2010115.jpg

Cruise2010106.jpg

THIS is one of my favorites, and SO Disney!

Cruise2010107.jpg

Okay I didn't take this one, but I didn't have any photos of characters b/c they didn't make it over to serenity bay!! :laughing:

4215505129_08d72e5976.jpg

That random guy again...

Cruise2010105.jpg

Cruise2010102.jpg

We took our time coming back to the boat... they had great music playing, the fresh fruit bar we attacked one more time, and then finally once more back on the boat we walked out on Deck 7 and took more photos. The wind was picking up, as you can see in some of the photos, but it was still a pretty view, and the temp was great.

Cruise2010121.jpg

Cruise2010122.jpg

Cruise2010123.jpg

Cruise2010124.jpg

All in all Castaway Cay was a wonderful day, and really made the trip! The day at Castaway Cay confirmed for us that with the boys we would be back for the 5 day Disney Dream cruise with two stops at Castaway Cay. It was so much fun, it is so well designed, with so many features and fun things to do, I am sooooo glad that they finally designed a cruise with two stops here. It is totally worth it. And I look forward to sharing the sting rays, the snorkeling area, the slide, and the other kid activities with the boys next summer. They have a kids club type area as well, a HUGE play area with a sand dig (like the dino dig/excavation site at the AK) and they would totally love that too!

Perhaps the most obvious but most appreciative aspect of Castaway Cay, is how apparent it is, that you are on a Disney creation the minute you step off the ship. :goodvibes Everything about the island is amazing, all the same kind of details you expect out of Disney! :lovestruc I couldn’t get enough of it. They had Our favorite Pirate of the Carribean on hand (Jack), Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale, all characters in beach gear, getting their photo ops! And of course Captain Hook! They also had the new construction in place, and are hard at work on this new addition to the island, which looks like great fun! I can’t wait for my boys to give it a try in a year!

Coming up, last night at Palo's !!!! Our amazing Towel creation! NEW cruises!!

WOW! :cloud9: What a great day. First off, loving that the first conch cooler was before 11am! :thumbsup2

Castaway Cay looks gorgeous!!! I want to be there right now! I've seen drawings of those new cabanas.... look pretty cool!

And speaking of cool, how neat is that pirate ship?? Love it!!

Love the "maybe tomorrow" name on the sign. I need that for my office! :laughing:

As I said, you are really selling the cruise experience!! You've got me thinking... ;)

oh wow! I might just have to make sure we are in on the DCL part of Peepfest after all! The boys would LOVE Castaway Cay.

So would we!

This cruise report has me soooooooo relaxed...and I'm just reading it. :goodvibes

WOW! That does it - I'm going to have to squelch my fears about cruising and do it!! I don't blame you for wanting to set up camp and hang out for a few days :cloud9:

Mango margharita!!! How amazing does that sound? Bet it was delicious. Your photos are gorgeous! How lovely to have such a great trip with just the two of you. I am sure your boys will love it next time round. Looking forward to hearing more! x

Me too!

DYING to know what my vacation days are going to look like. What a lovely lovely evening!

Well I am sure the Mexico cruise would be fabulous. I love all the ports of call! I have been to Mexico and a few of those locations, but never on a cruise ship. I bet you'll be able to get it in! ;)

I'm just going to quote Jackie as well - couldn't have said it any better!! :thumbsup2

Yes, well ... I agree... :rotfl::rotfl:

Everything seems so relaxed & laid back! I can see why the Land & Sea combos are popular! The cruise seems very Disney but in such a different way!

You know, I think so. The cruise allows for onboard care (for kids) so you get adult time and family time, and I think that makes a big difference. I know there were adults in the adult pool area or on the deck above whose kids were in the kids programs, while they snuck in a few hours to relax. There certainly is something for everyone! The cruise ships are very Disney, but you are right, it is different. I almost think you meet more CMs on the ship than you do at a resort or park...

Great review! Can't wait to hear the rest of it. My boyfriend and I and another couple we are friends with are all going on a 3-day Disney cruise in May--none of us have kids so I love reading about someone else who went on a Disney Cruise without kids :)

Also, I'm still trying to figure out the Conch Cooler thing. Is it just a mixed drink or does it come in a cool cup or something?

We always plan a few "us only" getaways every year. It is from our love of travel I guess, and it keeps us sane! :laughing: But this cruise was a perfect idea and a perfect price. We are doing it again next Feb, for four days over President's Day weekend.

I searched on the DIS and found a recipie I think... it is a blended drink, a little like a pina colada, but with passion fruit and orange juice -- so somewhat like an orange julius??!! :) HA! With a little kick. Well, enough of a kick to make me want to take a nap on the beach :rolleyes1

Here is what I found when I searched....

6oz. Dark Rum (I use Captain Morgan's)
6oz. Light Rum (I use Parrot Bay)
8oz. Orange Juice (no pulp)
12oz. Passion Fruit Juice (Welches)
8oz. Cream of Coconut (I use Coco Lopez)
2 cups of ice

Mix all in a blender and blend until smooth.

I have not made this, but I am tempted!!! :laughing:

Castaway Cay looks AMAZING!! Your boys will love it next year!

It really is neat, and I think it will be perfect for us!! OF course DH and I have to try out the Dream FIRST to make sure we get situated before we bring them on a cruise for the first time... :rolleyes:

I, too, am getting more and more intrigued with the idea of a cruise...

I may have to go check on the rates... for research purposes, of course. :rolleyes1

Seriously, Christine! I totally would tell you good deals are to be had! That 3 day is easy, and a good start if you are not certain... I think you would really enjoy it! rates go up and down, but not just the Disney site, there is a good site for discount cruises, that we used to "price" it, then we went to the Disney site to book it.

WOW! :cloud9: What a great day. First off, loving that the first conch cooler was before 11am! :thumbsup2

WE were on vacation. I didn't care what time it was!!! :laughing: It had enough fruit in it to be considered a cross between a mimosa and a pina colada! My mom always says, oh it is after noon somewhere... ;)

Castaway Cay looks gorgeous!!! I want to be there right now! I've seen drawings of those new cabanas.... look pretty cool!

And speaking of cool, how neat is that pirate ship?? Love it!!

Love the "maybe tomorrow" name on the sign. I need that for my office! :laughing:

As I said, you are really selling the cruise experience!! You've got me thinking... ;)

It really is soooo neat! I would have taken more photos, but I was just soaking it all in myself! The main area at Castaway -- I didn't take enough photos. but there were many things to explore there! it is a cross between a waterpark and CBR, seriously!!! :rotfl:

Yes! Wasn't that "May B" sign TOOOO cute!!?? :goodvibes

I do think a DOUBLE DIGIT dance is in order now! party: party:

I have no idea how many days we have left until the trip...I think my problem is that July seems so far away at this point...

THANK YOU!! I am so excited for that trip, I just pulled out all my paperwork yesterday to review things! June seems far enough away too, but it will be here before we know it, and July too!

Oh, what a wonderful evening! DS and I was just watching the Cruise DVD again today. The party looks like so much fun.

popcorn::Looking forward to another update!

Erika

Yep! It sure was fun, and though we didn't spend too much time in it (crowded) we still liked what we saw!

:cheer2:

:dance3::dance3::dance3:Congratulations!

I just looked at your ticker and are you going to be cruising in February 2011 as well? I posted on my trip to you that I thought we are going then as well. February 21st to be exact!

ERika

Oh! Well, so are we! But not the 7 day cruise you are planning on! We are taking the four day cruise over President's Day weekend. It is on the Dream. We figured we had to check out the boat before we brought our kids.... :rolleyes:

:woohoo::yay: Yay for double digits!!! :yay::woohoo:

THANKS!!! Shoot, you have just a month or so yourself!

Being under 100 days is fantastic. I made an adr today and realized it will be here soon!

I did a few today as well, and I was surprised I could! I can't wait for this trip either!

Great updates! Staying on the ship is exactly what I would do on a 3 day cruise! Gotta get as much of the ship as you can, right?

Your night sounds great! I have heard that the Toy Story show is really cute! The movie theater sounds nice too! Fireworks at sea HAS GOT to be amazing!!! :cloud9:

Very much looking forward to hearing about Castaway Cay! :goodvibes

Sara

We wanted to enjoy it and all the amenities, so that is what we were thinking, at least this time. Knowing we would get some beach time at Castaway. The Toy Story show was really adorable, the whole boat and all the activities and entertainment IS amazing. It is exactly how you would expect Disney to do "cruising" -- Fireworks, very very cool :)

I'm a little concerned about not doing a beach day in Nassau with the # of times the ships have missed CC. I see the 4/4 Wonder is sold out of Atlantis days and am thinking of just a taxi to a beach for some sun/sand/water.

You know I had read that too, we were hoping it wouldn't be an issue, the weather had beed pretty mild, so I was trying not to think about the "what ifs"... regarding CC... we thought to catch a cab over to the beach ourselves (totally doable I hear), but I think in the end, we just didn't want to have to rush off to get over there, etc., and back, at least this time. We were not dying to go to Atlantis, but the beaches are accessible I have read, so I would totally check it out! :thumbsup2

Señor DonDuck;35819538 said:
Nice update. Good info on Outlook Cafe.

Thank you!

oh wow! I might just have to make sure we are in on the DCL part of Peepfest after all! The boys would LOVE Castaway Cay.

So would we!

This cruise report has me soooooooo relaxed...and I'm just reading it. :goodvibes

Your boys are the right age to probably enjoy a lot about the ship and the activities.

WOW! That does it - I'm going to have to squelch my fears about cruising and do it!! I don't blame you for wanting to set up camp and hang out for a few days :cloud9:

Well, a short one gets your feet wet! And the price in the off season, basically Jan - Feb and Sept - Oct. can't be beat considering what they give you!

Mango margarita!!! How amazing does that sound? Bet it was delicious. Your photos are gorgeous! How lovely to have such a great trip with just the two of you. I am sure your boys will love it next time round. Looking forward to hearing more!

OH yes, very very good :laughing: I have pics of the souvenir cups we enjoyed them in! It was great fun for us, and will be even more fun as a family. :goodvibes

Wow! Wow! Wow! Forget going to Castaway Cay for a day, I think I need to move there!!! But I don't want to work there, I just want to lie on the beach drinking Conch Coolers all day! Think they would let me do that? :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts