AK yesterday ---- dog in a stroller!!!

But if they say the magic words "Service Animal" the conversation ends. Again its not the business that is allowed to say it is or isn't a service animal its the guest.

ok, one more time.......

Even if someone says a dog is a service animal, the NEXT question is "what is the animal trained to do for you?". If the answer is not satisfactory, the animal can be excluded. The business CAN exclude the animal under certain circumstances.

http://www.servicedogsfl.org/docs/fakers.shtml

ok, one more time.......

Even if someone says a dog is a service animal, the NEXT question is "what is the animal trained to do for you?". If the answer is not satisfactory, the animal can be excluded. The business CAN exclude the animal under certain circumstances.

http://www.servicedogsfl.org/docs/fakers.shtml

There are always going to be people who will lie and truly believe that they can't live without their purse dog. And this is so undefined and such a gray area Disney is always going to error on the side of caution (legal wise) and let them in.

I work for a taxi company and the drivers are not allowed to refuse service to anyone with a service animal. We don't give and I don't even think there is any training on what is or isn't a service animal.

Can we just move on and talk about the people that push strollers full of stuffed animals. :)

I have definitely seen a rise in smaller service dogs, and I think it does cause some confusion with people who are not familiar with all the different ways that dogs can aide individuals with medical and mobility issues. I think people are pretty used to seeing labs working as seeing eye dogs and the like, but poodles, papillons and chihuahuas are becoming much more common. I ran into a very nice woman with a small service dog that rode in the basket of her EVC on my last trip.

One time I met a woman at Epcot who was involved in a SD training program. This dog was a puppy and the woman (who lived locally) brought the dog to the parks to get them used to crowds. My best friend from childhood's family used to raise SD so I thought it was so cool to meet another family who participated in this labor of love. I asked her what she did with the dog on rides and she told me that the dog could ride anything without a height restriction. So basically Spaceship Earth yes, test track, no! :thumbsup2

I hope that someone eventually gets some regulations passed that puts a stop to those who just claim that Rover is a service animal when he actually isn't. That's just wrong and unfair to those who really need the assistance of the trained dogs.

I also hope that I don't have to ever sit next to a dog if I use the single riders line. ;)

They were right-if a service animal is out of control a business can ask it to leave.

A "comfort" dog is not the same as a service animal. A comfort animal is not treated the same as a service animal under the ADA.

Those statements are true. The vest idea is not relevant because they could be wearing a vest that says, "cures cancer" and it doesn't matter because that is not what is used as a measure. The questions asked can be stated...Is that a companion dog? If not, what service does it perform? If the answer is, yes it is a service dog and it performs some service then that is the end of the discussion. The problem is, in reality, if a person is willing to attempt to push the envelope to get the animal in to begin with, the chance are that they will lie through their teeth when asked those questions.

In the bus business, we had a rider that always tried to board with a boa constrictor around his neck. The funny part is that he knew the answers. Example...the snake sensed when he was going to have a seizure. Well, technically the person is allowed to ride the bus, however, the drivers refused to drive the bus with a loose snake on board, so he could get on the bus but the bus wasn't going anywhere. The driver felt that it was too much of a distraction and would cause some major safety issues considering the amount of lost concentration on his driving during that ride.

My question has always been this...suppose it did sense the seizure, what happens then...the snake cannot stop it or alarm anyone else about it, so what would be the purpose. I think in many ways the same thing applies to dogs or any other animals used for that purpose. Seeing dogs or hearing dogs have a specific job and specific reactions to situations for which they are trained. What do the others do.

Those statements are true. The vest idea is not relevant because they could be wearing a vest that says, "cures cancer" and it doesn't matter because that is not what is used as a measure. The questions asked can be stated...Is that a companion dog? If not, what service does it perform? If the answer is, yes it is a service dog and it performs some service then that is the end of the discussion. The problem is, in reality, if a person is willing to attempt to push the envelope to get the animal in to begin with, the chance are that they will lie through their teeth when asked those questions.

In the bus business, we had a rider that always tried to board with a boa constrictor around his neck. The funny part is that he knew the answers. Example...the snake sensed when he was going to have a seizure. Well, technically the person is allowed to ride the bus, however, the drivers refused to drive the bus with a loose snake on board, so he could get on the bus but the bus wasn't going anywhere. The driver felt that it was too much of a distraction and would cause some major safety issues considering the amount of lost concentration on his driving during that ride.

My question has always been this...suppose it did sense the seizure, what happens then...the snake cannot stop it or alarm anyone else about it, so what would be the purpose. I think in many ways the same thing applies to dogs or any other animals used for that purpose. Seeing dogs or hearing dogs have a specific job and specific reactions to situations for which they are trained. What do the others do.

Okay, that just takes the cake for the service animal v. companion animal debate. :scared1:

I have definitely seen a rise in smaller service dogs, and I think it does cause some confusion with people who are not familiar with all the different ways that dogs can aide individuals with medical and mobility issues. I think people are pretty used to seeing labs working as seeing eye dogs and the like, but poodles, papillons and chihuahuas are becoming much more common. I ran into a very nice woman with a small service dog that rode in the basket of her EVC on my last trip.

One time I met a woman at Epcot who was involved in a SD training program. This dog was a puppy and the woman (who lived locally) brought the dog to the parks to get them used to crowds. My best friend from childhood's family used to raise SD so I thought it was so cool to meet another family who participated in this labor of love. I asked her what she did with the dog on rides and she told me that the dog could ride anything without a height restriction. So basically Space Mountain, yes, test track, no! :thumbsup2
To clarify,
the reason I question whether the woman I've seen with the small dog in a stroller actually has a service dog is that I have seen the same dog on several different days. It has always been in a stroller and has always been acting in a very disruptive and agressive way - barking, snarling and growling at people who were only walking past. Most, like us, didn't even notice the dog until it started barking and growling.
If it is a service dog, it is a very wild one.

One of the young ladies in my DD's dance class has a small service dog that mostly sits on her lap during dance class. I'm not sure of all the dog's tasks, but I know that he either barks or jumps down and gets someone when she needs another person to come and help her with something. She has a very quiet voice and would not be able to be heard and, it's possible to ring a bell and not be heard. The dog has been trained to actually go find someone in the house and alert the person to come.

I never heard of a snake, but I do know of people who have seizure alert dogs. Many people with seizures have no warning that a seizure is coming and have injuries from falls during a seizure.
A seizure alert dog's job is to warn the person that a seizure is about to occur in enough time so they can get to a safe place or into a safe position before it happens. The dog can't prevent the seizure, but can prevent an injury. Not all dogs can alert or be trained to alert - some dogs can do it and others can't. Since no one knows how the dog is able to recognize a seizure is coming, there is no way to train a dog to alert.

There are also dogs that are seizure assist dogs, that are trained to do some task after a seizure occurs to assist the person or keep them safe.
Link to article about Seizure Assist Dogs.

My DD has one of those strollers for her Tea-Cup Chi's. She has 2 tiny tea-cup Chi's that she does put in the stroller when she goes to the out door mall (they allow pets). Since they are sooooo small, they would be stepped on walking. They weigh only 3lbs each.. and they are full grown. She has another full size Chi, he is 6 lbs. I don't know if she plans on putting the larger one in the stroller, she just got him today. His name is Hitch.

I would never dream of taking the dogs to Disney in the stroller.. I wonder how the guest got away with that.. :confused3

60739_420.jpg

above is the one my DD has for her dogs...The front flap zips up so you don't have to worry about them jumping out..

So one no longer takes their dog for a walk. They take them for a ride to get the fresh air and exercise?

I swear humans get sillier every day.

Just like everything else, the "service dog" :rolleyes: thing has been taken advantage of. It's just another way for people to skate the system to take their dogs places. It's also cruel to wheel around an animal in the 90 degree weather. What do they do with the dog when they go on the rides?

Well said, next people will want a "baby swap" ticket, so both "parents" can ride.

So one no longer takes their dog for a walk. They take them for a ride to get the fresh air and exercise?

I swear humans get sillier every day.
I wonder if they take them on bike rides in those stroller things that attach to bikes? It wouldn't surprise me. It's harmless I guess but.... :confused3

I wonder if they take them on bike rides in those stroller things that attach to bikes? It wouldn't surprise me. It's harmless I guess but.... :confused3

I've seen that many times. I can understand and am in favor of not dragging your dog behind you while you ride a bike. I've seen that so often where the animal looks like it's about to drop but it has to run or be dragged by the neck. I really hate to see that. But walking while pushing a stroller for a dog...I have a problem wrapping my brain around that one.

I think I saw this same dog in a pink stroller. We were at Festival of the alion King and the lady strolled right in with it and sat next to us. My 8 year old daughter said that lady has a dog in a stroller.
:confused3

My DD has one of those strollers for her Tea-Cup Chi's. She has 2 tiny tea-cup Chi's that she does put in the stroller when she goes to the out door mall (they allow pets). Since they are sooooo small, they would be stepped on walking. They weigh only 3lbs each.. and they are full grown. She has another full size Chi, he is 6 lbs. I don't know if she plans on putting the larger one in the stroller, she just got him today. His name is Hitch.

I would never dream of taking the dogs to Disney in the stroller.. I wonder how the guest got away with that.. :confused3

A 3 POUND DOG??? I have an 18 lb cat. She'd eat that dog for lunch.

I hope that someone eventually gets some regulations passed that puts a stop to those who just claim that Rover is a service animal when he actually isn't. That's just wrong and unfair to those who really need the assistance of the trained dogs.

I also hope that I don't have to ever sit next to a dog if I use the single riders line. ;)

Really? WHY does what someone else do, really bug you? Maybe you are upset cause you didn't think of bringing your dog with you?:confused:As far as sitting next to a dog on a ride, I would rather sit next to a Dog than a HUMAN any day.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter