AK yesterday ---- dog in a stroller!!!

Once again-this (bolded is not correct). You can be asked three things-
Are you disabled?
Is this your service animal?
What is the animal TRAINED to do to assist you?

There are no registrations, no requirements for vests etc.

I was just going according to what I saw on the ADA site and what I was told. I have no objection to any of those questions. The last one might be a bit personal though and not really a accurate way for a business to judge. Some dogs so lots of things and I dont think list would be needed. I guess you could say mobility , scent work , hearing , vison , etc . . I was told however that no business may ask what your disability is and I do agree that would be improper. Here is the link .

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

I was just going according to what I saw on the ADA site and what I was told. I have no objection to any of those questions. The last one might be a bit personal though and not really a accurate way for a business to judge. Some dogs so lots of things and I dont think list would be needed. I guess you could say mobility , scent work , hearing , vison , etc . . I was told however that no business may ask what your disability is and I do agree that would be improper. Here is the link .

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

3. Q: How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

A: Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

Also from the ADA:

Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person's disability.

http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

I hope that someone eventually gets some regulations passed that puts a stop to those who just claim that Rover is a service animal when he actually isn't. That's just wrong and unfair to those who really need the assistance of the trained dogs.

I also hope that I don't have to ever sit next to a dog if I use the single riders line. ;)

Wow, I'm surprised that an ID/papers cannot be required. Seems simple and like it wouldn't be an issue to someone who truly has a SD!

I'm not all that familiar with service dogs, of course I know about them for the visually impaired and I've heard of those for seizures. Are there others? I'm wondering how a SD in a stroller (if that's what it truly was) would work? I'm thinking of a regular baby stroller, facing away from the owner - maybe that's not how that was? Because I would think for a dog to be of Service, they would have to be able to See the owner? Is that right or are there other types where they're only needed in certain situations?

I don't know how a SD in a stroller could assist either. It can't get to the person, or smell the person...how can it give a signal or perform any service in a stroller? Unless it's only removed for episodes...and the owners felt the animal was safer kenneled.

Some children/adults have SD's with Type 1 Diabetes. The dogs are able to smell when the child's blood sugar is dropping and can retrieve and deliever a blood meter so the child can check. As well as signal for help and other tasks. Not all diabetics are able to sense when their sugars are dropping, which can lead to seizures and other very serious complications. The work these dogs do is very important, but the challenges the owners have to face to get them accomidated is dauting.

Someone I work with just returned from a Disney Cruise. She said there was a family on the ship that had a dog in a stroller/carrier with them the entire time. (Including INSIDE the restaurants!!!) She's filing a letter with the company to see their response.

I must have been on the same cruise, Oct 21-24... we saw a family with a dog in a stroller at the Pirates in the Carribean party, the family all dresssed up as pirates, as was the dog! The kids got the dog out and held it a bit, but most of the time it was in the stroller- they were close to the stage, it was loud, loud loud and I felt so sorry for the poor dog.

I'm pretty sure I have read about these people before and they are regulars at one of the resorts and spend a lot of time at AK.

As for how the dog got in, the thread I first read about them dealt with service dogs and what is or isn't a service dog and that some things that service dogs are used for are not apparent. Like ones trained to notice seizures before they happen.

I may have even started one of these threads years ago when I commented that I saw a dog walk down the aisle of the Autotrain. It was a Bichon Frise.

Just so you know, if this goes down the what is or isn't a service dog path the thread will most likely be closed like the ones I remember.

I remember that thread too - it got pretty ugly towards the end!

Yeah they can. Any business that forbids pets can ask for the dog's service dog credentials. At least a restaurant can. I worked at one in college with outdoor seating. People wanted to bring their dogs there, but we forbid it. It was the owner's choice. We of course let service dogs in or out. They had a card and were supposed to be wearing a vest or something. If it is a health issue, the allowing service dogs doesn't make sense. They're dogs. But very disciplined dogs. There is one at my church that is simply amazing. He is silent and never moves unless the owner does. He only relieves himself on command. Can a dog be working from a stroller? That's just weird.

That's just gross. Going on the deck and hosing it overboard. I hope they would use a pee pad and dispose of it in a tied up plastic bag in the trash can just like on the autotrain.

Sorry but no one can ask for a service dog's credentials, your company could have been in really big trouble for doing so had someone chosen to persue it. It is very clearly stated in the ADA that they are not allowed to ask, however, if a service dog is shown to be disruptive, the dog can be asked to leave.

I guess I don't get the whole takin' the dog everywhere with you thing-my dog hasn't left our home in years. I also wouldn't take my kids on vacation with me either-but, there is that whole law about child endangerment/abandonment that kind of makes us take them too! (I'm kidding! ;))

Sorry but no one can ask for a service dog's credentials, your company could have been in really big trouble for doing so had someone chosen to persue it. It is very clearly stated in the ADA that they are not allowed to ask, however, if a service dog is shown to be disruptive, the dog can be asked to leave.

Oh I just wanted to add that another reason that licensing would make it hard is simply this, not all of these dogs are trained by a company. My friend had a service dog he simply trained himself. The dog was able to assist him with opening doors, switching laundry, as well as retrieving things off the floor. I'm sure there is a whole plethora of things this dog was able to do for him that I'm not mentioning as well. As a PP mentioned SD's that come from a reputable company are not cheap either, while there is funding out there it is not always available to those who may require an SD's assistance.

I must have been on the same cruise, Oct 21-24... we saw a family with a dog in a stroller at the Pirates in the Carribean party, the family all dresssed up as pirates, as was the dog! The kids got the dog out and held it a bit, but most of the time it was in the stroller- they were close to the stage, it was loud, loud loud and I felt so sorry for the poor dog.

This was a topic just this past week on the Disney Cruise Disboards forum. Someone posted this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-NXCu_V118

The topic of dogs and potty issues also was brought up. Apparently there is a plastic, child's swimming pool filled with dirt & grass on one of the verandahs that the dogs use.

does this really matter... in the whole scheme of things really service dogs or not does it really matter... did it ruin everyone's day or vacation .. believe me people get caught sooner or later doing things that they know are wrong and when they do I laugh....:rotfl2:, but to go around and let the things like , oh my god is that a service dog...or is it not...really i just go about my business.

This is not correct. A business CAN ask 1)If you are disabled. 2) Is this your service animal. 3) What is the animal TRAINED to do.

Even a true service animal can be removed if misbehaving. The guest would be allowed to return without the animal.

And I read somewhere that claiming a dog is a service animal when it is not is a Felony in some states.

I posted on here a couple of years ago about a little Yorkie I saw in guest services at AK. I went in to leave a comment about a really good CM I had encountered that day and saw a lady holdling a little Yorkie yelling that it was a service dog and they had no right to tell you she couldn't have it in the park. She said it was a 'comfort dog.' The problem was the dog was barking and jumping at everything and they said that if she couldn't control it's behavior, it couldn't stay and they had a right to refuse it 'due to it's disruptive behavior'. We saw them a few days later in MK and the daughter was holding it, but it was quiet at that time. At AK the owner was yelling at the CM, so the dog was overexcited, trying to to get loose, and yapping at the CM also.:rotfl: It was funny watching her trying to hold onto that wriggling, yapping, little whirlwind, while she yelling at the CM that he was a service dog. It was all she could do to hold onto him. I didn't realize those little dogs were that strong.

I posted on here a couple of years ago about a little Yorkie I saw in guest services at AK. I went in to leave a comment about a really good CM I had encountered that day and saw a lady holdling a little Yorkie yelling that it was a service dog and they had no right to tell you she couldn't have it in the park. She said it was a 'comfort dog.' The problem was the dog was barking and jumping at everything and they said that if she couldn't control it's behavior, it couldn't stay and they had a right to refuse it 'due to it's disruptive behavior'. We saw them a few days later in MK and the daughter was holding it, but it was quiet at that time. At AK the owner was yelling at the CM, so the dog was overexcited, trying to to get loose, and yapping at the CM also.:rotfl: It was funny watching her trying to hold onto that wriggling, yapping, little whirlwind, while she yelling at the CM that he was a service dog. It was all she could do to hold onto him. I didn't realize those little dogs were that strong.

They were right-if a service animal is out of control a business can ask it to leave.

A "comfort" dog is not the same as a service animal. A comfort animal is not treated the same as a service animal under the ADA.

I think the issue is try telling that to the person holding the dog.

What is so hard about telling some one "No"? Seems pretty simple to me. The law is not on the purse pet's side. It can be dangerous for a business to allow a non service pet. And I think in Fl claiming a dog is a service animal when it isn't is a felony.

If a dog is allowed in a park and then bites someone, can the company be held liable? I wonder about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter