AK yesterday ---- dog in a stroller!!!

I'm not bothered much by people who don't have kids who think their animals are their "kids". I'm really upset by people who have both kids and animals and still can't seem to differentiate.

I now understand why Disney hasn't put in a pet friendly resort. Imagine the ailments people would come up with to get their dog in the parks?

What about the people who are allergic to animals? Where do the dogs relieve themselves? Are they allowed in restaurants? Last I checked, the 4 Disney parks do not have facilities set up for dogs and allowing animals in a restaurant is unsanitary. While the idea that people would lie and make up disabilities to get their dogs in the parks is annoying, I am more bothered that the animal is being made to sit out in the Florida heat and humidity for long periods of time. :mad:

I'm thankful I do not have a disability, but I would imagine the people who do wouldn't be too pleased to have to provide a mountain of paperwork because a few tried to skate the system with their "service chihuahua." :rolleyes: Aside from the people who truly need the service animal (and there are some), to make an animal ride small world after baking in the heat is not only selfish, its downright cruel.

We saw a couple with a dog on Monday night at MK during EMH. It was a little yorkie on a leash. I thought it was weird, but it didn't bother us. How can a dog that little be a service animal? None of my business, so I just kept on walking!

Really? WHY does what someone else do, really bug you? Maybe you are upset cause you didn't think of bringing your dog with you?:confused:As far as sitting next to a dog on a ride, I would rather sit next to a Dog than a HUMAN any day.:thumbsup2
I don't have dogs. I like them well enough but know that others don't or have issues when it comes to them. I respect humans enough to think that dogs don't need to be in themeparks. Unless there is a need of course.

I also winked when I said that I'd rather not sit not to a dog on a ride. However I don't like dogs better than people as some seem to.

HEY your comfort cat just ate my comfort bird!pixiedust:

my brother in law would take his stress/comfort parrot to Disney, but we refussed to go with him if he did.

love it cd!!

no dog can be a service dog in a zippered enclosed stroller.....that is what got me. they need to be banned....there are kennals for them.

So one no longer takes their dog for a walk. They take them for a ride to get the fresh air and exercise?

I swear humans get sillier every day.

No not all of them.. at least mine get their exercise & fresh air out in our fenced in back yard.. many times throughout the day... The only time my DD will use that stroller for them is when she goes out shopping to the outdoor mall, where they allow pets into the stores..

no dog can be a service dog in a zippered enclosed stroller.....that is what got me. they need to be banned....there are kennals for them.

I totally agree with you.. how can they be doing a service if they are in the zipped up area.. they cannot.. Who ever did this at AK did so not to pay for the kennels, and seems to have gotten away with it. Maybe the CM's will have to start looking in the strollers to see if there is a child or pet.. sad to say but I guess some will do what ever they can to get over..

A 3 POUND DOG??? I have an 18 lb cat. She'd eat that dog for lunch.

yep.. that is the average weight for tea-cup Chihuahua.

Here is a picture of one of her Chi's with our 17 lb Jack Russell

New_033.jpg

Can you see the size difference?

I wonder if they take them on bike rides in those stroller things that attach to bikes? It wouldn't surprise me. It's harmless I guess but.... :confused3

My DD doesn't but they do make them.. :rotfl: My DD has put one of her Chi's in the front basket on her bike.. which by the way, she did get it put on for the Chi.. yes, I agree that is a bit extreme... :lmao:

Really? WHY does what someone else do, really bug you? Maybe you are upset cause you didn't think of bringing your dog with you?:confused:As far as sitting next to a dog on a ride, I would rather sit next to a Dog than a HUMAN any day.:thumbsup2

She isn't stating that service dogs bug her, but the fact that some people use that as an excuse to get a dog into some place when in fact they are not a service dog.. and I agree with her. I love dogs, I have 7 of them living in my house (not outside in kennels)...ranging in weight from 3lbs to 97 lbs. I would never (nor would anyone in my family) ever dream of taking one of them to Disney and say they are a service animal. That is like going and renting a wheel chair just to try and skip the lines.. Disney asks for no proof.. they need to stop taking people on their word. It is wrong to pass your pet off as a service animal..
Do I want to sit next to a service animal, sure. Do I want to sit next to a cheap guest who didn't want to spring for the kennel fee's pet.. no I do not.

How can a dog that little be a service animal? None of my business, so I just kept on walking!

It could have (potentially) been a seizure alert dog or an allergy-sniffing dog. I know a woman in my neighborhood has a severe peanut allergy and she has a bichon that is trained to alert her to allergens.

Back to the original dog in question, even if it was in a stroller, it would be able to smell allergens/changes in the handler's body chemistry that would alert it to seizures/blood pressure drops. So yes, it could be "working" even in a stroller.

Okay, that just takes the cake for the service animal v. companion animal debate. :scared1:

For a snake, I have no idea, but my friend just got a seizure dog for her daughter. When she is about to have a seizure, the dog alerts the family, they can ensure the daughter is in a safe spot, nothing in her mouth (she has a mouth guard they put in so she doesn't bite her tongue after havign it stiched back together ouch), etc.

I totally agree with you.. how can they be doing a service if they are in the zipped up area.. they cannot.. Who ever did this at AK did so not to pay for the kennels, and seems to have gotten away with it. Maybe the CM's will have to start looking in the strollers to see if there is a child or pet.. sad to say but I guess some will do what ever they can to get over..

On a service dog forum, I have read that they place the dog in the stroller so they can attract less attention and keep the dog safer, given that a littel 15lbs dog walking in Disney is going to be a distraction as well as not safe for the dog. The dog's sense of smell is amazing nad if the child is walking next to the stroller, they would be able to take care of business.

I have definitely seen a rise in smaller service dogs, and I think it does cause some confusion with people who are not familiar with all the different ways that dogs can aide individuals with medical and mobility issues. I think people are pretty used to seeing labs working as seeing eye dogs and the like, but poodles, papillons and chihuahuas are becoming much more common. I ran into a very nice woman with a small service dog that rode in the basket of her EVC on my last trip.

One time I met a woman at Epcot who was involved in a SD training program. This dog was a puppy and the woman (who lived locally) brought the dog to the parks to get them used to crowds. My best friend from childhood's family used to raise SD so I thought it was so cool to meet another family who participated in this labor of love. I asked her what she did with the dog on rides and she told me that the dog could ride anything without a height restriction. So basically Spaceship Earth yes, test track, no! :thumbsup2

This is the best response I've read on this thread so far I think. As a dog trainer and someone who has papillons I agree that smaller dogs are being used as sernice dogs more and more. They are more portable and many times more intelligent than a bigger dog.

I see no problem with bringing a service dog into the parks if it's needed, but most people do not see the distinction between service dog/therapy dog or in extreme cases comfort dog. All 5 of my dogs are therapy trained, but they are NOT service dogs. They are allowed in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc, but I would never bring them into a restraunt or a theme park!

In our area we have a local place that trains guide dogs for the blind, called Fidelco. You see Fidleco puppies around everywhere. Restraunts, malls, stores, at least once a week you will run into these guys. They of course are allowed anywhere around here, but must be wearing their "Fidelco Guide Dog Puppy" vests.

As for dogs in strollers, I know many people that use dog strollers for dog's with medical issues, that they would like to walk, but for the dog's sake cannot. I see no problem with this at all. And it does make sense for smaller dogs that could be potentially stepped on or can't walk long distances.

For a snake, I have no idea, but my friend just got a seizure dog for her daughter. When she is about to have a seizure, the dog alerts the family, they can ensure the daughter is in a safe spot, nothing in her mouth (she has a mouth guard they put in so she doesn't bite her tongue after havign it stiched back together ouch), etc.

I know there are seizure dogs but there is no way that a snake could let others know that the owner is having a seizure. How would it do it? Dogs bark and scrape their nails on the floor or nip someone on the leg. What would a snake do? Stick its tongue out or wrap itself around the neck of someone else? :confused3

I know there are seizure dogs but there is no way that a snake could let others know that the owner is having a seizure. How would it do it? Dogs bark and scrape their nails on the floor or nip someone on the leg. What would a snake do? Stick its tongue out or wrap itself around the neck of someone else? :confused3

It doesn't matter anyway, since the ADA has been clarified to say that dogs and in certain cases, miniature ponies, can be used as Service Animals. So a snake would not fit the definition.

Do they charge admission based on 'dog' years or 'people' years?? Doesn't matter anyhow, I'm sure they lied and said the dog was only 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter