Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

Check the rideshare apps from those places at the same time and day you’d be taking it. See how long the estimate is and the cost. That will help you figure out the transportation part.

I have zero issues with lax. I’ve had to walk further at SNA when our gate was at the very end and down stairs. And I’ve had bad luck with sna transportation.

I’ve flown into SNA 3 times, Burbank once, and LAX once. I was worried about LAX when we flew in there 3 weeks ago because of all the horror stories, but the price was a lot cheaper this time. We came in on a direct Alaska flight from Seattle, arriving about 9:45 on a Wednesday morning. I was so surprised, it was a cinch! We must have lucked out on our gate, because it was not a long walk at all. We had Execucar pick us up- private ride, curbside pickup, cost was somewhere between an Uber and Lansky’s. We got to DLH in 45 minutes. Our trip back on Sunday at 1 pm was similarly pain- free.
Burbank, we came in around 8 pm, and the ride was SO long and bad traffic. Might have been a fluke accident.
If the cost isn’t too different, though, I’ve always liked small, close-by SNA. Easy peasy. But I would say don’t let LAX scare you.

Sometimes I get a wild hair, and decide to try something new but likely inconvenient... This time, it was to try 2 new airports on my last trip to/from Disneyland. I've done LAX like 3 or 4 times in the past, SNA about the same, but most often go to LGB from PDX (Portland).

But, the price was right, so we flew into Burbank for like $69. I was expecting an ouchie for Uber and wasn't disappointed--$80. We flew in at 3:45pm, waited for our checked luggage, had a potty break, compared Lyft/Uber prices, and were hopping into our Uber at 4:20 or so. Guess what time we got to our hotel.... No, not 5:30. No, not 6:00. Nope, not 6:15, or 6:30. Two hangry adults and a 7yo kiddo begging for dinner for 2.5 hours in an Uber. I'm not flying into Burbank in the afternoon ever again. That being said, it was easy to navigate.

Flying in/out of LAX has been hit-or-miss. We've had it take 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon to from the airport to the hotel, but I understand that's an anomaly. We've had it take 90 minutes to get through TSA to go home but I understand that was during some construction. For what we typically save in airline costs, we make up in Uber/Lyft prices. (I refuse to use those shuttle bus vans and had a few rough times with the Disneyland Resort Express [90 minutes late, driver talking on cell phone at ear, door not closing all the way, changing prices when it's time to pay], so 2 cheapish options are gone).

Yeah, you made the trip from Burbank to Anaheim at literally the worst possible time of day.

Ontario is another option, same price as LAX. Any info about Ontario?
We flew out of ONT in June. It was the last airport I needed to "conquer" in my quest to visit all the local LA-area airports. Our flight was at like 9:30am. Lyft was $50ish (maybe $45? Can't remember exactly). Really easy to navigate. Getting to and through TSA was quick and easy. Weirdest part was the restrooms.... You get through TSA. Southwest was at the gates to the right of TSA. Men and Family restrooms to the right as well. So, we got all settled at our gate, Hubs and grandkid go potty, then return and let me head over... But there wasn't a ladies room. Turns out you have to pass by the TSA outlet to find the ladies room. Some poor lady with a huge heart saw me doing the potty dance and showed me where it was. I get a little panicked in new places, lol, so I was a bit concerned when I couldn't find what I needed!

ONT is my second favorite after LGB.

Last edited:
ONT is a quiet little airport. It used to be busier than SNA but then LAX tried to kill it (it was under LAX control and they didn't like the competition). It's on the rebound now but has a long way to go. It seems bizarre right now as there are lots of unused gates and things like food services and shops are shuttered. If you can find a flight into ONT though, it's great - nowhere near the nightmare that LAX is and, depending on traffic, usually about 30 minutes closer to DL. Warning though; flights are really limited. We flew AA to Denver and the flight back got messed up. There is only 1 AA flight a day to ONT so it became nearly impossible to fly back to ONT. We ended up flying back in to LGB and drove back up to ONT to get our car the next day.

BUT...
Since you are flying into SoCal on Southwest that won't be much of an issue. You can hop on any Southwest flight, even other airports, to get back if need be.

It depends what time you're landing. If it's not during rush hour, BUR every time. I lived in Pasadena for a couple years and loved flying in and out of BUR. It's so tiny and easy! If it's during rush hour, don't do it. Miserable drive, as people have already said. Keep in mind, also, that LA rush hour is much longer than many people are used to.

I don't love LAX, but it's not horrible if you're at least a little used to enormous, crazy airports.

Given the choice, I'd choose SNA, ONT, or LGB over either LAX or BUR, though.

Thanks for all the great info. We've always flown in/out of SNA, but yikes!, the price was almost $250 higher!
We fly in on a Sunday morning at 930, so it sounds like Burbank might be okay. We fly home on Wednesday early evening, so that might be a traffic issue. We might switch to LAX for the return flight, as we can choose a later flight and avoid rush hour.

We flew into LAX a month ago. I was shocked that a Lyft with tip was over $175 (going to a hotel on Harbor).
OUCH! I would not do that. You would be better off renting a car through Enterprise and dropping it off at a local office in Anaheim. Even a minivan is not going to run you $175/day.

Does anyone have recent experience with Execucar from/to SNA? I'm considering booking them, just to know ground transportation is waiting for us curbside. Knowing us, once we land, we'll want to beeline it to the park. Lansky seems too pricey for only two passengers but seems like a great deal for families.

Does anyone have recent experience with Execucar from/to SNA? I'm considering booking them, just to know ground transportation is waiting for us curbside. Knowing us, once we land, we'll want to beeline it to the park. Lansky seems too pricey for only two passengers but seems like a great deal for families.
I literally JUST booked Execucar to GCH from SNA... I was going to just get a cab, but I decided to book something so it would be ready and prob a little nicer, lol... it was 58.00 for 2 of us Business Express. I tried to find some kind of discount code, but every single one I tried didn’t work... oh well, I’m just hoping to get to the hotel quickly so we can get checked in and maximize our time...

What’s the best way to get to and from LAX? We are only spending 3 nights before heading to Aulani. Not sure if renting a car is worth the hassle. Anyone use Uber? Shuttles?

Not SNA, but we did Execucar from LAX to DLH 3 weeks ago. I saw some good reviews on here. I was thinking about Lansky, but it's just so freakin' expensive, and we don't need to be met at baggage claim. Uber/Lyft has been fine for 2 of us in the past to/from SNA, but we needed something a little bigger for the 4 of us, with four carry-on suitcases, that would have a set rate and no surge pricing.

Execucar was great, I'd do it again. Nice big clean car, driver texted me before we even landed to say he was in the waiting lot, and to let him know when we had our luggage, and what pillar number we were by at the curb. He was there in 5 minutes when I called, and helped with baggage. We lucked out on the traffic, 10 a.m. on a Wednesday and we got there in about 45 minutes.

I am still going back on forth on how to get from LAX to GC on Thursday at 5:30 pm - ish.
Lyft or SuperShuttle Execucar?

3 of us, with 3 suitcases and two backpacks.

looking for which option will be the easiest to navigate and most quick.

return is on Monday, Columbus Day around noon - if that factors in.

thanks so much!

I am still going back on forth on how to get from LAX to GC on Thursday at 5:30 pm - ish.
Lyft or SuperShuttle Execucar?

3 of us, with 3 suitcases and two backpacks.

looking for which option will be the easiest to navigate and most quick.

return is on Monday, Columbus Day around noon - if that factors in.

thanks so much!
I can't speak to Lyft, but I've used SuperShuttle a lot and I'm always very happy with them. Our last SuperShuttle trips were September 28 and October 1 (three days ago). The shuttle was on time and clean, the drivers were courteous, and we got where we needed to when we needed to (even a little early actually). I'm excited to try the Execucar service in the future, as we are nearing the end of having to lug around a giant high-back car seat on vacation.

Heads up to anyone flying in after Oct 28 and planning to use a ride share. Beginning Oct 29, Uber/Lyft will no longer be allowed to pick up passengers at the terminals. Customers must first take a shuttle bus to a "staging area" at an offsite parking lot and then arrange for pickup there. In addition, plan for it to take 45 min to get "around the horseshoe" of terminals on your way in/out, due to lane closures for construction. This an ongoing project that will take several years. Airlines are suggesting that passengers plan their arrival for 3 HOURS prior to flight time to account for the time it may take to simply be dropped off at your terminal. Rideshare drop offs will continue to be allowed at the departures level (upper level).

Sounds like a major PITA, and a good argument for avoiding LAX on your way into/out of Southern CA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter