A silly, stupid question

dairyou

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Hello,

When staying at a one bedroom villa. How much do you really cook?

The silly stupid question.... is there condiments (ketchup, mayo ect.) in the refrigerator? Does housekeeping throw this away? I'm wondering how much you can cook without having some items there like salt, pepper ect...

I'm getting smarter now and putting in searches before asking questions, but didnt see anything pertaining to this.

Just to update those who have been so kind to answer all my questions... We started the process of the home equity so when we go in October and things look good, we will be all set to buy. I'm more eager than husband.. I think he is coming around too :)

Deb

I think you'll find that many people don't use the "kitchen decoration" for any serious cooking. When we've stayed in a room with a kitchen, I bought the smallest and cheapest condiments I could find, but I think that was only syrup and ketchup. I don't really cook on vacation other than breakfast and snacks. If you really need salt, pepper, etc., you could just bring some from home, packed in a ziplock.

To answer the first part of your question, Disney does not stock anything besides the prepackaged coffee and creamers in the room.

We usually have one evening where I make pasta and salad. Breakfast also one morning with eggs, meat and potatoes!
Maybe frozen pizza. Alot of sandwiches, fruit and munchies.
Don't forget to bring your favorite coffee and basket type filters if you have a caffine habit life DW and I :bounce:

I am thinking about doing steaks on the grill this trip at BCV, but have not made up my mind yet. I might roast chicken instead.

As to condiments, Mousekeeping reamoves everthing left by the previous guests.

:bounce:

I agree. We buy or save when we come across(like the little bottles of ketchup usually from room service at other hotels) the smallest bottles of ketchup, syrup, mustard. We usually have sandwiches, hotdogs, pancakes, eggs, and I always bring but never made jar spaghetti sauce and pasta. The kitchen is great for morning quick grabs and snacks mostly. The kids will make muffins or cookies from the packaged mixes. The frig is stocked with pop, beer, ice cream. We have never made a full dinner.

Kim:D

We eat breakfast and lunch in the room. Breakfast is cereal or bagels & cream cheese. Lunch is a sandwich and chips, or bagel & cream cheese. When we eat dinner in the room (usually 2 or 3 nights for a 6-night stay), we eat pasta with red sauce, along with french bread.

We bring our own salt and pepper, coffee filters and coffee. We forgot to bring mustard for sandwiches, but we used butter instead.

Eating breakfast & lunch in the room isn't complicated, and eating pasta for dinner is not only simple, it is a welcome rest from the heavier meals we tend to eat at WDW restaurants!

So, we do use the stove every trip, to boil pasta, but using the oven is limited to making parmesan toast from french bread! No complicated meals for us.

I guess a GV stay and the number of people is a little different. We use the kitchen fairly often. One or two full dinners, probably closer to one, and many snacks and several breakfasts over twelve nights with two families.

We do a grocery stop the first day. We stop at a store the first day(our guest almost always pays). We pick up many eggs, much bacon sausages, cheese, onions, pig's feet, snacks, condiments, etc, etc, usually a $200+ bill or two good weeks of grocery bills.

We will make breakfast somewhere near half the time. We do a dinner...possibly two and many, many late night nacho-chili-hot wings-teraki steak0 or something snacks.

If you drive, you can also make double recipes of stuff you enjoy at home, freeze 'em and bring along in a cooler. We've done this on two trips and I enjoy having a "home cooked" meal without the cooking. I just made a large batch of chili, it freezes great and makes a good quick meal. We don't do many sit down dinners at WDW so I tend to get tired of park food. We do make breakfast - easy stuff, not bacon, eggs, etc. And of course lots of snacks and drinks. Having the kitchen appliances gives some options.

We always cook. Hot breakfast every day, and dinner at least once every 3 nights, and lunches and snacks as necessary. I have a little travel size spice thing from Tupperware that I keep salt and pepper in, and a second one for garlic and onion powders (we can't cook much without these). Bacon, eggs, potatoes, french toast for breakfast, and Hamburger Helper, or turkey with all of the fixings (easy meal when you put your frozen turkey breast in the oven on "time bake" as you walk out the door in the am and then come back for an early dinner).

With small kids it can be easier to whip up a quick meal than try to take everyone out. Subs, salad and chips make a nice lunch, hot fudge sundays can make a nice evening closer. Begals and cream cheese, and lots of other snacks and treats make the kitchen a nice addition. We keep the cooking light, perhaps Nachos, etc. heatng up some chinese takeout, or a piece of pizza, but it's great to have and makes a big difference for us. So, I confess, we do cook, but vacation style.

We purchase groceries, and eat the majority of meals in our room--mostly breakfast and lunch. For breakfast we'll get things like cereal, frozen waffles and bagles.

Lunch is mostly cold cuts, macaroni and cheese, and so on. We'll also get snack items (ice cream, cookies) and pleanty of soda, bottled water and adult beverages.

With two small children, we have to be in our room between 12 and 1pm daily for nap time anyway. Basically we find that there's no reason not to throw lunch together in-room and save a few bucks.

Many people will contend that they don't want to cook on a vacation, and I can completely understand that. But from our POV, we don't find it an inconvenience and likely save $100-200 in a week's stay.

Like others have suggested, we too bring along basic condiments... salt pepper spicees, etc. But we often buy 'wet' condiments there.... mustard, mayo, etc.

We love having the oven to reheat leftovers... or cook a frozen pizza now and them....

Breakfast is nice too.... eggs, toast, OJ....

We have small kids... so being able to cook the food they love best (grilled cheese) in the room is wonderful!

We do eggs and bacon breakfasts a couple of times a trip, also lunches. We order a cooked turkey from Publix and reheat it and all the fixins for T'giving. This trip we're thinking about using the grills at Turtle Pond for a cook out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter