A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

I love our chats, especially as I'm usually sitting with a mug of tea in hand and it's just us as my guys are off doing other things. Pure heaven :goodvibes

I worked Friday and Saturday nights after my eldest was born (can I say we had NO social life was nonexistent) but at least I got to sleep for 2 mornings:banana: (my wee darling daughter only ever slept for 20 minutes at a time for the first 18months):scared1:

Of course on my side of the Atlantic, it is me and a cup of coffee during our chats.

:surfweb:

Maybe that is a first child thing and/or new parent thing where your first born can sense that you are a nervous rookie and doesn't sleep for long stretches of time, because that was definitely the case with Nate, too.

:faint:

Jewel at the Pool

After walking back to the Yacht Club from Hollywood Studios, we went up to our room and changed into swimsuits.

We walked down to the pool and found that there were plenty of loungers to choose from:

DSCF0801.jpg

We found a spot alongside the lazy river.

DSCF0803.jpg

DSCF0809.jpg

DSCF0814.jpg

DSCF0816.jpg

DSCF0817.jpg

DSCF0818.jpg

DSCF0804.jpg

DSCF0810.jpg

We set down our towels and sandals and jumped in. Mark and I made a couple of laps around the lazy river, then we got out, dried off a bit and wandered over to Hurricane Hanna’s to get a drink to share. The plan, of course, was to get the Sunken Treasure, the unofficial signature drink of the Beach & Yacht Club FAQ thread. But when we read over the menu of available drinks, we found a hidden treasure instead

(Don't worry, the Sunken Treasure will make an appearance later)

DSCF0811.jpg

DSCF0812.jpg

DSCF0813.jpg

The Category 5:

Captain Morgan's Original Spiced Rum, Bols Creme Banana, Bols Peach Schnapps, Orange & Pineapple Juice, Splash of Grenadine, float of Goslings 151 Rum

We sat out and enjoyed our drink and dried off a bit, then I went back into the pool. I did a few more laps around the lazy river, then I went under the ropes to the larger pool, the one with the waterfalls. As I was swimming I heard someone call out my name.

It was my friend Rosa (mommyrosa2). I know her from the FAQ thread and met her at the first Yacht & Beach DIS meet I attended in August 2014. She was originally going to be joining us at Kona that night, but due to other commitments with friends, they had to bow out of our dinner. Rosa and her husband were also staying at the Yacht Club, Concierge level and she let me know she had left a package for me to bring to dinner. I’ll write more about that in the Kona update.

We chatted for a little bit and took pictures.

DSCF0822.jpg

It was then time for us all to leave the pool so we could get ready for rest of our day.

Next up: Celebrating the Gift(s) of Friendship at Kona

Last edited:
Those pool pictures sure do look inviting today!

Sad that Rosa couldn't make the dinner, but it is great that you two still met up. And it helped keep up your reputation of being well known at Disney. It is important that Mark continues to see that demonstrated. :)

Just finding this! Woot!

I am torn up about the beet salad at Sunshine Seasons - I loved that! And I need the Soarin' tip. We always wait for front row and take off our sandals... what else!?!?! Kinda sad about the golf ball - I did that for my kids in 2012 and it was a huge hit!

How does the Hidden Treasure compare to the Sunken One?

I love that pool and need to get back there to really get to enjoy it in warmer weather.

I am still in awe that you used the pool last January. I know first hand that afternoon and evening were very cool.

I do hope you are able to stay at the Beach or Yacht Club at a warmer time of the year.

::yes::

Those pool pictures sure do look inviting today!

Sad that Rosa couldn't make the dinner, but it is great that you two still met up. And it helped keep up your reputation of being well known at Disney. It is important that Mark continues to see that demonstrated. :)

The pool really does look tempting, especially as I am looking out the window this morning at a windy, slushy nor'easter.

It would have been great to have Rosa and her charming husband join us at dinner. They were so conflicted. Originally, they were included in our reservation. Then they had to back out because they were traveling with friends. Then her friends decided to leave earlier in the trip, so they were back in. Then the friends decided to stay longer. Out again.

I think we have a way to go before Mark appreciates my "celebrity".

:laughing:

Your pool pics look heavenly and so does your drink ;)

You are correct on both counts.

Mark just commented this past weekend about how much he enjoyed taking time on our last trip just kicking back at the pool and relaxing. That is not typically how we vacation at Disney.

:beach:

Just finding this! Woot!

I am torn up about the beet salad at Sunshine Seasons - I loved that! And I need the Soarin' tip. We always wait for front row and take off our sandals... what else!?!?! Kinda sad about the golf ball - I did that for my kids in 2012 and it was a huge hit!

How does the Hidden Treasure compare to the Sunken One?

:welcome:

Soarin': Request section B1

Both drinks, The Category 5 and the Sunken Treasure, are good. The Sunken Treasure is prettier (better for pictures) and tastes stronger. I guess my point is: Why choose?

The beet salad was my second favorite food at the World. The first is the Macadamia-Freakin'-Pineapple Pancakes at Kona.

I have seen similar salads (roasted beet and goat cheese with candied nuts) pop up at other restaurants in Disney, other places we have vacationed, at local places. The Ninety-nine chain (do you have any nearby) just added a beet salad to their seasonal menu and I ordered it:

WP_20170114_001.jpg

It was good, the other wannabes have been good, but none have been as tasty as the original Sunshine Seasons salad.

IMG_0499.JPG

And He of many shifts says "Thank You" :crazy:

And we thank you for the important work you do. I am even more impressed with people who can manage a schedule consisting of multiple shifts.

:worship:

What I wouldn't give to be floating around that lazy river right now:cloud9:

Amen to that!

:goodvibes

Gosh, I love the pool area there. Looks like a fun afternoon, not sure how well I'd like that drink though.

You've got me thinking now and I'm going to call on your Beach Club expertise. If one were to have a Saturday night where they're looking for a place to stay for a night, would they be able to stay at BC/YC and visit Stormalong Bay on Sunday and have a place to change afterwards if they wanted to stay past check out time?

Gosh, I love the pool area there. Looks like a fun afternoon, not sure how well I'd like that drink though.

You've got me thinking now and I'm going to call on your Beach Club expertise. If one were to have a Saturday night where they're looking for a place to stay for a night, would they be able to stay at BC/YC and visit Stormalong Bay on Sunday and have a place to change afterwards if they wanted to stay past check out time?

It was a great afternoon!

Plenty of drinks to choose from. I'll be featuring the "famous" Sunken Treasure in an upcoming chapter.

If you are staying at the Beach Club, you are considered to be a guest from check-in until midnight on your checkout day, so you are entitled to visit Stormalong Bay that day until its closing time in the evening.

The place to change afterwards is a little trickier...

Right now, the only choice is to change at a poolside restroom. DON'T use the ones in the pool area. YUCK! GROSS!!! There are also outside showers- essentially a showerhead on a stick of wood. Clothing NOT optional. There are lockers near Beaches & Cream to stash your stuff. There is a nice, large bathroom located in a hallway near Beaches and Cream. That is where I go to change into dry clothes when I am swimming after checkout.

There is a rumor that a poolside shower room will be/is being built. It was supposed to be done by October 2016, but that didn't happen. I haven't heard the current progress of this project.

:fish:

Last edited:
It was a great afternoon!

Plenty of drinks to choose from. I'll be featuring the "famous" Sunken Treasure in an upcoming chapter.

If you are staying at the Beach Club, you are considered to be a guest from check-in until midnight on your checkout day, so you are entitled to visit Stormalong Bay that day until its closing time in the evening.

The place to change afterwards is a little trickier...

Right now, the only choice is to change at a poolside restroom. DON'T use the ones in the pool area. YUCK! GROSS!!! There are also outside showers- essentially a showerhead on a stick of wood. Clothing NOT optional. There are lockers near Beaches & Cream to stash your stuff. There is a nice, large bathroom located in a hallway near Beaches and Cream. That is where I go to change into dry clothes when I am swimming after checkout.

There is a rumor that a poolside shower room will be/is being built. It was supposed to be done by October 2016, but that didn't happen. I haven't heard the current progress of this project.

Interesting... thanks! When we go this summer we have a night between checking out of Disney and checking in for our beach visit. I was thinking of either doing 1 night in a deluxe or staying cheap off property in between. I've kind of been thinking Beach Club/Poly/AK/Contemporary if we do the deluxe option.

Oooh yay for the Yacht Club club level! the lounge looks like a nice perk. I would be all over that. Hmm, more eating in between meals? Sign me up!
Hmm, sorry about your unimpressive meal at B&C. I've always wanted to eat there too, mainly for the sundaes, although I can't turn down a good grilled cheese.But like Mark said, it is hard to get excited about burger and fries when there are other more unique places at WDW. The service sounds like a disappointment though :(
Right now I have it scheduled for May as a pre-departure meal, staying at the Boardwalk. BTW, is it easy to walk from Boardwalk to B&C? Or do I have to take the ferry? I didn't get a chance to explore that walk yet.

The reason you have the ghost images is because the PP Photographer was practicing some motion blur type shots. They leave the shutter open long enough while you are standing still but everyone else is still walking so they look blurry while you (the subject) don't. You can do this yourself with your DSLR (try the bulb setting for full on motion blur). Although it is best used with a tripod and no flash in low light. (I think Ninjamom already explained this!)

I'm glad your night was redeemed by watching Illuminations! And to top it off with lounge desserts? It's like your own private dessert party in the comfort of your own room. Nice!

Your AK morning sounds fun. I loved the Avatar Crane attraction! :rotfl:
I personally have not stepped foot in Dinoland for 3 years. I always compare Dinosaur to IJA in Disneyland and I'm' sorely disjointed. So I never bothered to go on again. But I do have an FP+ for it in Feb so hopefully it will redeem itself (it probably wont, LOL)

Nice safari pictures!
Glad you got to see Flights of Wonder. Something I should probably add to my list as well!

The Category 5:

Captain Morgan's Original Spiced Rum, Bols Creme Banana, Bols Peach Schnapps, Orange & Pineapple Juice, Splash of Grenadine, float of Goslings 151 Rum
I want to try this drink one of these days. It looks good. I'm not a fan of the Sunken Treasure.

It was my friend Rosa (mommyrosa2). I know her from the FAQ thread and met her at the first Yacht & Beach DIS meet I attended in August 2014.
We met Rosa briefly the night we met Ninja Mom for the first time. They were having dinner with Teena and Bob at Captain's Grill. Rosa and her husband had been received a fabulous upgrade on that trip. I think they were given a suite. It was pretty darn lucky, ::yes::

Looks like you guys had some great relaxation time!
I really need to stay at Yacht or Beach Club one day so that I can try out that lazy river.

So, first impressions, not in renovated room at YC, room in great shape Renovation hot and heavy all around. Working on wing immedtiately to the right as you go out the door to the lake as well as the gift shop. Really disappointed with the way they are cutting Fittness and Fairings down in half. Bus stop at its usual place and time board working. Disney Springs is a joke. They now put you out at the end by Planet Hollywood and make you walk past upscale shops you see at your hometown mall before you get to the Disney stores. My credit card will attest that those Disney stores are still worth the hike. Took bus back to YC without any complaints on wait or time lost. Went across the lake to eat Italian at Trat (walked in without a reservation). I had grilled tuna, wife had lasagna and both were great. Topped dinner off with a gelato. Watched some street performers, had a characature drawing of the three grandkids done which turned out great. Now back at the YC decompressing. Tomorrow is pool and rest. No parks for us on this two day trip.
Katesdad

Okay, I paid for a garden view and asked for a gazebo view. NO UPGRADE asked for or given. I will take a picture in the daylight, but here is what I am looking at right now. I hear the fireworks and can see them through the bushes. The gazebo is out there but totally blocked by shrubs. If we were here for more than two nights, I would ask for a different room. Hey, someone has to take these rooms so the rest of you get the great views. Taking one for the team. By the way, we do have a light on the patio and I cannot turn it off.
Katesdad

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 15
Good to know that I could get in touch with him when I wake up and he is enjoying a sandwich.

In my high school days, I worked the midnight shift at Dunkin Donuts on the weekend. Mark worked 3rd shift at Raytheon for a couple of years just after graduation. I have a lot of admiration for the people who work through the night. Especially since I can't normally stay awake much later than 10 pm these days.

:faint:

He has been working 3rd shift for almost 12 years now. Plus he has a 45 minute commute each way (this would be almost 90 minutes if it was day shift). I could never do it.

Most folks think I am crazy when I say that we only sleep together two nights a week and our bed is used about 16 hours a day (half at a time) o_O

Interesting... thanks! When we go this summer we have a night between checking out of Disney and checking in for our beach visit. I was thinking of either doing 1 night in a deluxe or staying cheap off property in between. I've kind of been thinking Beach Club/Poly/AK/Contemporary if we do the deluxe option.

If you choose Beach Club and have any questions, I would love to help.

In addition to the big area of Stormalong Bay, there is a kiddie pool and slide, located at the base of the big slide, that is great for younger kids and is not usually very crowded.

Oooh yay for the Yacht Club club level! the lounge looks like a nice perk. I would be all over that. Hmm, more eating in between meals? Sign me up!
Hmm, sorry about your unimpressive meal at B&C. I've always wanted to eat there too, mainly for the sundaes, although I can't turn down a good grilled cheese.But like Mark said, it is hard to get excited about burger and fries when there are other more unique places at WDW. The service sounds like a disappointment though :(
Right now I have it scheduled for May as a pre-departure meal, staying at the Boardwalk. BTW, is it easy to walk from Boardwalk to B&C? Or do I have to take the ferry? I didn't get a chance to explore that walk yet.

The reason you have the ghost images is because the PP Photographer was practicing some motion blur type shots. They leave the shutter open long enough while you are standing still but everyone else is still walking so they look blurry while you (the subject) don't. You can do this yourself with your DSLR (try the bulb setting for full on motion blur). Although it is best used with a tripod and no flash in low light. (I think Ninjamom already explained this!)

I'm glad your night was redeemed by watching Illuminations! And to top it off with lounge desserts? It's like your own private dessert party in the comfort of your own room. Nice!

Your AK morning sounds fun. I loved the Avatar Crane attraction! :rotfl:
I personally have not stepped foot in Dinoland for 3 years. I always compare Dinosaur to IJA in Disneyland and I'm' sorely disjointed. So I never bothered to go on again. But I do have an FP+ for it in Feb so hopefully it will redeem itself (it probably wont, LOL)

Nice safari pictures!
Glad you got to see Flights of Wonder. Something I should probably add to my list as well!

The lounge was great! We especially love the convenience of the breakfast. We took a lot more resort/swim breaks from the parks than we typically do with the boys, so we visited the lounge a lot more for snacks on this trip.

Beaches and Cream is a short walk from Board Walk. Probably 7 minutes, tops. You cross the same bridge you use to get from the BW to IG, then take a left and go into the lobby of the BC then follow the hallway that takes you to the restaurant.

Don't let our experience dissuade you from eating there. There are far more positive reviews I have seen than the disappointing experience we had.

Thanks for the photo tips.

It was great to end the night with Illuminations. I have seen it far more times than Mark has, I was so glad he wanted to stay and watch. He really enjoyed it!

:dogdance:

I want to try this drink one of these days. It looks good. I'm not a fan of the Sunken Treasure.

We met Rosa briefly the night we met Ninja Mom for the first time. They were having dinner with Teena and Bob at Captain's Grill. Rosa and her husband had been received a fabulous upgrade on that trip. I think they were given a suite. It was pretty darn lucky, ::yes::

I would order the Category 5 again. It was yummy.

Rosa and her husband are both sweethearts! One of her daughters is studying to be a teacher and has some interaction with Teena's daughter Jeanne to talk about her career path.

The closest I have come to a suite is when Teena took me up to tour the BC lounge when it was temporarily moved to the Presidential Suite.

:laughing:

Looks like you guys had some great relaxation time!
I really need to stay at Yacht or Beach Club one day so that I can try out that lazy river.

We did take some time to sit out and relax during the trip and it was really a nice change for us.

I like that there is so much to do at the pool. A beautiful area to swim. A lazy river for relaxing and floating. An exciting slide. Sand in your toes. Activities to watch or participate in if you so choose.

So, first impressions, not in renovated room at YC, room in great shape Renovation hot and heavy all around. Working on wing immedtiately to the right as you go out the door to the lake as well as the gift shop. Really disappointed with the way they are cutting Fittness and Fairings down in half. Bus stop at its usual place and time board working. Disney Springs is a joke. They now put you out at the end by Planet Hollywood and make you walk past upscale shops you see at your hometown mall before you get to the Disney stores. My credit card will attest that those Disney stores are still worth the hike. Took bus back to YC without any complaints on wait or time lost. Went across the lake to eat Italian at Trat (walked in without a reservation). I had grilled tuna, wife had lasagna and both were great. Topped dinner off with a gelato. Watched some street performers, had a characature drawing of the three grandkids done which turned out great. Now back at the YC decompressing. Tomorrow is pool and rest. No parks for us on this two day trip.
Katesdad

Okay, I paid for a garden view and asked for a gazebo view. NO UPGRADE asked for or given. I will take a picture in the daylight, but here is what I am looking at right now. I hear the fireworks and can see them through the bushes. The gazebo is out there but totally blocked by shrubs. If we were here for more than two nights, I would ask for a different room. Hey, someone has to take these rooms so the rest of you get the great views. Taking one for the team. By the way, we do have a light on the patio and I cannot turn it off.
Katesdad

Thanks for the info!!! As you know, I posted the comments over on the FAQ.

I am still shaking my head at the view you got, like I said, I always think of how much you recommend the gazebo view with YC GV reservations!

::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!