A Private, Romantic 30th Anniversary Trip- Just Ask My Friends! Last Afternoon: EP p. 37 9/19

You made it for 33% of your Hollywood Studios FP+ - not bad!
I'm kinda jealous that you got the cowboy scene on GMR - I've never gotten it (then again, I've only done GMR a few times because I just don't enjoy it, and as much as I want to see the cowboy scene, it's not worth riding something I don't enjoy just for one scene).

I'm an update behind, but I'll go ahead and comment on the post I read and then go back to your Studios chapter later.

Not our best trek for seeing animals but I thought these cattle wading through the water were cool.

You're right, the cattle in the water was pretty nifty! Sorry about the other animals sleeping away the time, though. That's the biggest risk when it comes to animal exhibits. Sometimes, you see some great stuff. Other times, not so much.

they blocked off the path near where it happened. They had a stretcher there to get her out.

Yikes.

Check out the couple in the front row with the matching Hakuna Matata shirts. How quaint!

I was giggling at this photo before I read your comment, because if you look at everyone in the photo, they are all smiling/laughing except for Mark. He's got such a serious face compared to everyone else!

The manager came over at one point in our meal to thank us for being loyalty customers and to ask how everything was. We complimented our waiter and said we enjoyed everything about our meal. We also filled out a comment card at the end recognizing our waiter, the hostess and our outstanding meal.

The cost of our meal: $38.92 plus a generous tip. Not bad at all by Disney standards!

Wow, that was a really great price for a Disney lunch. I'm glad you had an enjoyable meal and the wontons lived up to the hype.

The lockers are huge and the cost is only 4 quarters. Even though this is a single use rental (once you open it, you can’t use it again without paying again), it is a bargain when you compare it to the cost of renting a locker in one of the parks.

I didn't know that. Wow, that is nice. I hope they keep it that way after they open Star Wars and Toy Story Land.
Although, I do hope you don't have that stressful quarter jam again. And of course it happened with the last quarter. Isn't that the way of it?

I was so excited! This was the first time (and probably the only time since it is rumored that the GMR will be reimagined into something else soon) that Mark has seen this scene.

Awesome! That's pretty great that you guys were both able to experience the cowboy scene just in case the attraction does change. Because while it might not have been the first time seeing it for you, I'm sure you were grateful for the break from the gangsters!

Lovely walk back to the resort. I might or might not have imagined myself on that sunny, warm path for a split second.
It sure beat looking out my window and seeing all the snow on the ground. :sad2:

Ok twice now I've written a big comment on your updates and then when I've gone to post them the dis has been down for its daily check up!!:crazy2: I know this because I then realize it's approaching 10am my time and it's always closed for business then. You'd think I'd have learnt my lesson the first time but... Nope apparently not!:rolleyes:
Anyway suffice to say I'm loving it all :) The photos, faces (serious or smiley), the treks and the cowboys and most importantly the food ( or in the case of a certain ninja- the leftovers:rotfl2:).
Off to help the youngest son with his comprehension homework ( deep joy:confused:).
Keep it coming:thumbsup2

As a math geek, I absolutely loved her comment!

:teacher:

OK, two more math comments. I graduated from UNH with a degree in mathematics. I worked as an actuarial assistant for 10 years before Nate was born. Ben has an aptitude for math and is currently taking honors geometry and honors Algebra II.

A couple of months ago, Ben asked me "Do you know what a proof is?"

:laughing:

Last night, while studying for his algebra final, he came to me and asked "Can you help me with a problem I don't understand" and I thought to myself ("I hope so!" :scared: )

Thankfully, I was able to explain to him how to set up the equation. PHEW!

Rumor is it will close by the end of this year. Now that could change of course.

Thanks for the info! I knew you would be on top of it.

::yes::

Great update glad you made it to Toy Story it's always fun to ride but I never win against DD :o
The ride pic made me dizzy lol
We have to ride the Great Movie ride on our next trip it's been a few years you're pics are making me miss it
If it's not hot the walk to and from HS is nice.
Looking forward to your dinner at Kona's and Wishes

I never do well on the ride, even when I am not trying to take pictures which never come out anyway. That's a lot of negatives in one sentence!

The days are numbered to the finale of the Great Movie Ride, so catch it when you can. It's actually a shame. One of the last representations of the studios that the theme park formerly represented, going the way of the real backlot tour, the replacement back lot tour, the animation attraction, Lights Motor Action and even "Sounds Dangerous". Watch your back, Indiana Jones Stunt Show.

We enjoyed that walk a few times on this trip.

Between Ninja Mom's awesome photo from AK and the bald eagle on the Swan's head, there are some pretty amazing photographers here on the DIS!

It's been a long time since I've gotten the cowboy scene at GMR. It's cool that Mark finally got to see it.

GMR isn't a must do for me, but I think I'm going to miss it. It just fits with the theme of the park. I guess time marches on and change can be good.

You hit the nail on the head!

I am so impressed and humbled by the awesome photographers who share their art here. They have encouraged me to try to become a better photographer and I have learned a lot from the photos I have seen.

I loved that Mark finally saw the cowboy scene!

Yes, change can be good, but Disney is definitely stepping away from the "Studios" theme of this theme park. It will be interesting to see the direction it will take and I am interested to hear what the new name will be (and how long it will take to replace the name on all printed material when they do). Even up to a couple of years ago, I still saw some Disney brochures that mentioned "MGM"

:cool2:

NM love the story and the picture. I have to admit that the only reason I know where Y&Y take out is because it is by the lockers for Kali.

DH even noticed it since that says a lot I'd a guy noticed it.

:rotfl2:

Great report Dee. An adults only trip is the best

Thanks!

We have been saying for many years on trips with the kids "This would be really fun with just the two of us". And it was.

:goodvibes

Last edited:
You made it for 33% of your Hollywood Studios FP+ - not bad!
I'm kinda jealous that you got the cowboy scene on GMR - I've never gotten it (then again, I've only done GMR a few times because I just don't enjoy it, and as much as I want to see the cowboy scene, it's not worth riding something I don't enjoy just for one scene).

Thanks for starting us down a math path

(Can you tell I love this smilie?)

We find GMR to be a good attraction when the lines everywhere else are too long. It is an enjoyable enough way to pass some time. Although our 2013 ride was downright painful. We broke down and the tour guide was downright cringy- even trying to take up a collection so she could pay her rent.

:confused3

I believe you can ask the CMs who are loading the trams if the cowboy scene is running and you can wait for it. But I have never done that and just go for the luck of the draw (see what I did there?)

;)

I didn't know that. Wow, that is nice. I hope they keep it that way after they open Star Wars and Toy Story Land.
Although, I do hope you don't have that stressful quarter jam again. And of course it happened with the last quarter. Isn't that the way of it?

Awesome! That's pretty great that you guys were both able to experience the cowboy scene just in case the attraction does change. Because while it might not have been the first time seeing it for you, I'm sure you were grateful for the break from the gangsters!

Lovely walk back to the resort. I might or might not have imagined myself on that sunny, warm path for a split second.
It sure beat looking out my window and seeing all the snow on the ground. :sad2:

Even though we had some trouble, I am a big fan of these lockers. We started using them when we did our Animal Kingdom > Blizzard Beach > Boma > Hollywood Studios > Beach Club itinerary. We stashed our Ziploc Big Bag of wet clothes in there while enjoying a few attractions at HS.

They have similar lockers at the TTC and in EPCOT as well, I believe, but we have never used them.

The first time I saw the cowboy scene I was blown away about how much better it was than the gangster scene. So glad Mark got to experience it!

Returning to Florida, even if it is just through reading or writing trip reports, is a great way to deal with winter.

:cold:

Ok twice now I've written a big comment on your updates and then when I've gone to post them the dis has been down for its daily check up!!:crazy2: I know this because I then realize it's approaching 10am my time and it's always closed for business then. You'd think I'd have learnt my lesson the first time but... Nope apparently not!:rolleyes:
Anyway suffice to say I'm loving it all :) The photos, faces (serious or smiley), the treks and the cowboys and most importantly the food ( or in the case of a certain ninja- the leftovers:rotfl2:).
Off to help the youngest son with his comprehension homework ( deep joy:confused:).
Keep it coming:thumbsup2

Sorry you lost the comments you had written. I have totally been there! :headache:

I am now getting up between 3:30 and 4:30 every morning, depending on when Mark gets up to get ready for work. It is pathetic, if I get up before 4 am I can check out the DIS! Otherwise, I have to wait an hour or so.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying the report.

Hope all went well with your (erm your son's) homework.

At least I got my shot which was hard to get without the planes streaking by above the mountain. Sadly this spot is no more and it's been eaten up by the phantom "Rivers of light monster boat demolition derby."
That is a gorgeous picture. You do really nice work. :worship:

I was so excited! This was the first time (and probably the only time since it is rumored that the GMR will be reimagined into something else soon) that Mark has seen this scene. I saw it once with the boys while he was off getting Fast Passes and I felt guilty that he hadn’t experienced this superior version of the attraction.
We still haven't seen the cowboy version. I keep forgetting to ask the CM if we could wait for it.

We retrieved our stuff from the locker and then had to choose how we wanted to get back to the resort. Friendship boat or walking path?

We chose the path.

Unlike during our summer trips, it was not a death march and was actually quite pleasant.
We almost always walk the path back to the resort. It is especially nice at night. ::yes:: And it is fun to beat the boat back, too.

Last night, while studying for his algebra final, he came to me and asked "Can you help me with a problem I don't understand" and I thought to myself ("I hope so!" :scared: )

Thankfully, I was able to explain to him how to set up the equation. PHEW!

That is pretty good to be able to remember how to do those equations. I liked Geometry but wasn't a big fan of Algebra.

How is it that I did not know you started a new TR?!?! Well I am here now so I'm going to catch up as best as I can!

Congrats on you and Mark's 30th Anniversary!! :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc
Can't think of a better way than to celebrate at WDW!
And staying at the Yacht Club! That's awesome. We were there at Yachtsman Steakhouse in December and had a fantastic time. I really want to stay there one day!

That is so funny you bring 3 cameras with you. I remember those days when I lugged the different cameras with me. But now I just bring my point and shoot and a phone. I think it would be helpful to have a waterproof camera too though.

I'm really sad they dont' offer the seafood mac n cheese anymore at CHH. I will have to try the shrimp next time.

The Disneyland IASW is definitely more interesting than WDWs, because of the cute Disney characters thrown in. But I also think I was more into the DL one because I've been on the WDW one so many times that DL's version just felt fresher. Haha on Mark's alert going off. LOL.

I'm so excited about your afternoon at Epcot because it's my favorite park! And LWTL is quite possibly DH's favorite ride (his nickname is Farmer Steve for a reason)

That's so cool you got to meet your friends for dinner before Soarin.
I can't wait to read more so I'll stop here for now!

Sorry you lost the comments you had written. I have totally been there! :headache:

I am now getting up between 3:30 and 4:30 every morning, depending on when Mark gets up to get ready for work. It is pathetic, if I get up before 4 am I can check out the DIS! Otherwise, I have to wait an hour or so.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying the report.

Hope all went well with your (erm your son's) homework.

Wow Dee that's an early start by any standards!. The homework went grand as thank goodness he is a bright boy and mostly just likes me nearby in case he needs the help :) There are days though when I truly question whom the homework is intended for (let's build a model of the Titanic/make a witch's brew from items found in your household-emm, rreally-let's not lol). Thankfully not so often the case with this teacher :)

Wow Dee that's an early start by any standards!. The homework went grand as thank goodness he is a bright boy and mostly just likes me nearby in case he needs the help :) There are days though when I truly question whom the homework is intended for (let's build a model of the Titanic/make a witch's brew from items found in your household-emm, rreally-let's not lol). Thankfully not so often the case with this teacher :)

That's why I love chatting with you so much in the morning! After Mark leaves, the DIS is still asleep and nobody else is around.

:hug:

Yikes on the even earlier wake up time in your house. If it makes you feel any better my husband eats his "lunch (if you can call it that) at 3:30 am.

That is a gorgeous picture. You do really nice work. :worship:

~Ninja's pictures are incredible!

:thumbsup2

We still haven't seen the cowboy version. I keep forgetting to ask the CM if we could wait for it.

We never asked. But it is worth it though. It is a nice change of scenes, and really is a superior version of the ride.

We almost always walk the path back to the resort. It is especially nice at night. ::yes:: And it is fun to beat the boat back, too.

We mostly walked the path on our October trip when we needed to get to and from Hollywood Studios.

That is pretty good to be able to remember how to do those equations. I liked Geometry but wasn't a big fan of Algebra.

I loved the structure of Algebra. Geometry was a lot harder for me. Ben had both Algebra II and Geometry this past semester. Nate is going to be taking calculus starting tomorrow. Mark and I both did really well in calculus in high school and in college, but that was many years ago. I hope Nate does not need help!

How is it that I did not know you started a new TR?!?! Well I am here now so I'm going to catch up as best as I can!

Congrats on you and Mark's 30th Anniversary!! :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc
Can't think of a better way than to celebrate at WDW!
And staying at the Yacht Club! That's awesome. We were there at Yachtsman Steakhouse in December and had a fantastic time. I really want to stay there one day!

That is so funny you bring 3 cameras with you. I remember those days when I lugged the different cameras with me. But now I just bring my point and shoot and a phone. I think it would be helpful to have a waterproof camera too though.

I'm really sad they dont' offer the seafood mac n cheese anymore at CHH. I will have to try the shrimp next time.

The Disneyland IASW is definitely more interesting than WDWs, because of the cute Disney characters thrown in. But I also think I was more into the DL one because I've been on the WDW one so many times that DL's version just felt fresher. Haha on Mark's alert going off. LOL.

I'm so excited about your afternoon at Epcot because it's my favorite park! And LWTL is quite possibly DH's favorite ride (his nickname is Farmer Steve for a reason)

That's so cool you got to meet your friends for dinner before Soarin.
I can't wait to read more so I'll stop here for now!

Totally understandable that you missed my report. I popped over at your pretrip report when it started, but I have had so much trouble keeping up on the FAQ board and here on everyone's trip reports, I haven't been back since.

Thank you! Kind of hard to believe that it has been 30 years and we had been going together for 5 years before that. We met in Junior High, started dating as sophomores in high school and were married in between our junior and senior year at UNH. Part of our honeymoon was Disney, and we loved returning for this milestone.

We have never eaten at the Yachtsman, but every time I see a review I want to. We like nearby Captain's Grille a lot, though.

Ha! 3 cameras and I wished I had brought one more. "Hi. My name is Dee. I have a photography problem" I love having a waterproof camera.

I usually prefer to order other things, mac and cheese is not typically my first choice but that seafood mac and cheese was SO good!

The incident with Mark's alarm was really funny. I said "I think that's you" He said "No, it isn't" One of the few times I was actually right.

I love reading about the exploits of Farmer Steve! He does an impressive job growing plants in small spaces.

It was a great meeting at Soarin'. So many laughs! And I think it was our first time at Soarin' for all of us.

Yikes on the even earlier wake up time in your house. If it makes you feel any better my husband eats his "lunch (if you can call it that) at 3:30 am.

Good to know that I could get in touch with him when I wake up and he is enjoying a sandwich.

In my high school days, I worked the midnight shift at Dunkin Donuts on the weekend. Mark worked 3rd shift at Raytheon for a couple of years just after graduation. I have a lot of admiration for the people who work through the night. Especially since I can't normally stay awake much later than 10 pm these days.

:faint:

That's why I love chatting with you so much in the morning! After Mark leaves, the DIS is still asleep and nobody else is around.

:hug:
I love our chats, especially as I'm usually sitting with a mug of tea in hand and it's just us as my guys are off doing other things. Pure heaven :goodvibes
Good to know that I could get in touch with him when I wake up and he is enjoying a sandwich.

In my high school days, I worked the midnight shift at Dunkin Donuts on the weekend. Mark worked 3rd shift at Raytheon for a couple of years just after graduation. I have a lot of admiration for the people who work through the night. Especially since I can't normally stay awake much later than 10 pm these days.

:faint:
I worked Friday and Saturday nights after my eldest was born (can I say we had NO social life was nonexistent) but at least I got to sleep for 2 mornings:banana: (my wee darling daughter only ever slept for 20 minutes at a time for the first 18months):scared1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter