A Grand Vacation: The 2012 Grand Floridian FAQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker finally posting- We are headed down 7/28- 8/4 to Sugar Loaf- Do any of you have suggestions on room requests there? Also which days do they do the Maid Parade? Thanks!

Last fall they only had the Parade of Maids on Monday when we were there. We saw them just a few minutes after 8 AM. This picture was taken from our first floor patio in SL.

disney20.jpg

CoachBagFanatic-I am getting excited for you and for everyone headed to the Grand! I love the hot weather too. I do NOT like winter here in Connecticut.

Yes, our trip is coming close. I am trying to figure out when our TA will call with our documents for our trip. I have had a countdown to go back to the GF since the day we came back last year. :rotfl:

Was wondering why I wasn't seeing that anyone was posting to the Grand FAQ thread. You moved!! but I found you..so now i have to repeat myself.

Nine more days to the Grand. Nine more days to the Grand!!!!! A long weekend celebration of the end of school for the year and the end of our annual passes. And the Sugarloaf booking is the surprise for my girls. Can't wait!
_

I know. Tomorrow we will be in the teens.:woohoo:

This overwhelming feeling of joy is just taking over me about going back to the GF. I feel like I am getting more and more hormonal the closer we get to our trip.:laughing:

Just returned home..visited the Grand...it is amazing as always!!! Booked a BB for my Sept trip GV to save $$$ but I feel the need to make a call!!! :love:

Teen dance :banana::banana::banana:

k&a&c'smomThanks for the new thread!!!!:hug:

Was wondering why I wasn't that anyone was posting to the Grand FAQ thread. You moved!! but I found you..so now i have to repeat myself.

Nine more days to the Grand. Nine more days to the Grand!!!!! A long weekend celebration of the end of school for the year and the end of our annual passes. And the Sugarloaf booking is the surprise for my girls. Can't wait!
_

See you there! It's me, my younger sister, and my almost 8-month-old son! DH will be at his work conference during our GF portion of our trip.

k&a&c'smom I believe you have outdone yourself on this GF thread!! There's more fun, more info and more day dreaming than before ! YAY!! it'll get me through nicely till we can FINALLY book!!! (hopefully, they will release 2013 packages soon....as I'm making my family insane!) ;)

Thanks for ALL the hard work you put into this thread! This is primarily the reason why we decided to come back to the Grand instead of trying the YC. Everyone's pictures and stories keep bringing me back!! :goodvibes

CoachBagFanatic - awww, I'm glad you are finally getting the chance to visit the GF again.:hug:

I laughed about your packing slip, you would get along well with DD.:goodvibes I tend to scribble some notes to myself of items I want to be sure get packed, but she makes lists. LOL about the suitcases.

My Dh is like you, he is a note taker. Me no way.:sad2: It sounds like your DD is definitely my kind of girl. I am the complete opposite of when I was younger. I gave a new meaning to the word messy.:laughing:

CoachBagFanatic-I am getting excited for you and for everyone headed to the Grand! I love the hot weather too. I do NOT like winter here in Connecticut.

Oh thanks so much.:hug: I think the emotion is stemming from a couple of things. #1 our 25th anniversary, #2 we haven't stayed at the GF since 2008 #3 our DS16 is just as excited as we are.

We were pretty lucky here in NJ over the winter time. Very little snow which I was so happy about.

Just returned home..visited the Grand...it is amazing as always!!! Booked a BB for my Sept trip GV to save $$$ but I feel the need to make a call!!! :love:

Teen dance :banana::banana::banana:

Hey my buddy pas130 :wave2: good to see you back. I hope you and your family had a wonderful trip. We've all missed you.:hug:

Isn't this new thread awesome. k&a&c'smom has really done an awesome job.:flower3:

Hey my buddy pas130 :wave2: good to see you back. I hope you and your family had a wonderful trip. We've all missed you.:hug:

Isn't this new thread awesome. k&a&c'smom has really done an awesome job.:flower3:
:hug: Missed you too!!!! We had a great trip. HRH & I loved our stroll & snack at the GF...no CL availability at GF with BB...but we got a great deal so all good :banana:
she always does a great job...does she not?

Check out my ticker!! Im so excited! Im also trying not to worry about crowds and weather! we normally go Sept but June will be the only time we have my step son.. We go back again in Sept but will be at BC..

Oh pls let the crowds and weather be good! Last June it rained, rained and rained and was very crowded by mid June..

Seems so hard to believe that it is almost a year since our last awesome visit to THE GRAND FLORIDIAN.:mad:

This year cruising the Western Carribean.

Now wait.
Maybe if I whine.:guilty:
No.
Maybe if I really whine...........

Looking into booking the GF in December.
Arround the Dec. 17th.
So oh experienced travel buffs.
Never did Disney in December.
How are the crowds.

All of our vacations have been in the summer.

Eagerly awaiting responses.

Sue and crew

Thanks, everyone, for the sweet comments.:blush: Everyone contributes so much to this thread! I do have many more photos to add to the 1st page, I had to take a break, sitting hunched over the computer tends to make my ol' bones ache!;) I'm going to try to get some more work done later this week.

Lyons Family - we've been to WDW in that week a couple of times, and it was very quiet until around the 23rd or so. Keep in mind, this was several years ago, I think the secret is out!:laughing:

pas130 - welcome back! I hope you had a fabulous time, hope you'll give us details.

bluejasmine - almost there!:yay:

sydneysmom - I hope the 2013 packages are out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed!:thumbsup2

jd99 - Nine more days, woohoo!:banana:

Jungle Cruiser - thanks for that photo, love the parade of maids.:cloud9:

CoachBagFanatic - well, she can still be a little messy (college student after all), but she's organized at least!;)

I am looking for suggestions re room requests for our grand gathering - we are arriving at GF on 6/14. There are 9 of us ranging in age from 4 to 76. Some arriving at 3pm, rest due to arrive at 9pm. Eldest has some heart/health issues - not wheelchair bound though. We booked 3 outer bldg garden view rooms - only request on file is to be in same bldg near one another (connecting rooms not req'd). WDW reserv dept advised us to start there and upgrade as needed - otherwise we'd incur $ charge to downgrade. We already booked dining plan so figuring that club level wouldn't be worth the addt'l expense. Not sure though if we should try for upgraded view.

Last time we stayed at GF we were upgraded to a MK view in a dormer room - 5th fl Sago if memory serves. Wondering with construction and health issues this trip whether we should (1) upgrade view; (2) request particular bldg - with understanding it's not guaranteed; (3) request anything else in light of construction. Anyone have suggestions? Do I request specifics (like 5th floor Sago) or keep it more general? Also, we are within date range to check in online. Since we have 2 different arrival times and 3 rooms w/ possibility of addt'l requests, is it still advisable to check in online or better to wait and talk to someone at desk?

Trip is quickly approaching, so feedback is greatly appreciated.

zan65 - Welcome!:yay: Glad you've joined us!

With your trip being only 7 days away, whatever requests you want to add need to be done now. They usually download the reservation at about 4-5 days out, I think.

I wouldn't expect to be ugraded for 3 rooms, especially during a busy time like June. If you want an upgraded view, it is better to do so in advance, rather than expect it to happen at check in. Is there a reason DRC thought you might want to downgrade at check in? Not very common, I'm surprised they gave you that suggestion.:confused:

If you keep the garden view - and we book garden view if not booking CL - I would request to be away from the construction. Any of the outer buildings except Big Pine Key would be good, but Sago Cay would be the best for guaranteeing you are out of it entirely. With the pool games having been moved to the courtyard for the time being, it is busier in the afternoon and evening.

We prefer an upper floor for the overall view of the resort, but with an older guest with you, it might be nice to request first floor. There are elevators, of course, so you may not care about the floor.

Making specific requests is perfectly fine, though you may not get everything. My request is usually "upper floor, non-dormer, Conch Key" or whichever building I prefer at the time. Sometimes, I request "marina view" or "pool view" if we are booked in Sugar Loaf (club level).

We have not had great luck with online check in; with 3 rooms to deal with, you are probably best to stick with regular check in, so you can discuss your room assignment with the CM.:thumbsup2

Good luck, how exciting your trip is in a week.:dance3:

Thanks, everyone, for the sweet comments.:blush: Everyone contributes so much to this thread! I do have many more photos to add to the 1st page, I had to take a break, sitting hunched over the computer tends to make my ol' bones ache!;) I'm going to try to get some more work done later this week.

pas130 - welcome back! I hope you had a fabulous time, hope you'll give us details.

:hug: And a virtual back rub for you too my friend :hug: I did a mini TR on the RC thread! And HRH let me know meltdown style...she CANNOT stay at GF without CL :sick: so I will keep fingers crossed! We took the bus over from Pop....it was glorious!

I dunno if iheartthemouse let you know....she was upgraded from standard RPC to 2BR RPC suite...this after not getting a daybed for her large party at YC CL....I can't wait for her pics!!! We did Pop, offsite condo, RPR, HRH CL (last minute switch) then Myrtle Beach...I almost crossed to the darkside...US/IoA was AMAZING!!! More details to follow...still adjusting to being home :laughing:

pas130 - thanks for the virtual back rub, much appreciated!:hug: I will head over to your thread in a bit to read your mini TR, so exciting! I'm glad you had such a great time.:goodvibes

How awesome iheartthemouse was given such an incredible upgrade!:cool1::cool1: Can't wait to hear the details.

pas130 - thanks for the virtual back rub, much appreciated!:hug: I will head over to your thread in a bit to read your mini TR, so exciting! I'm glad you had such a great time.:goodvibes

How awesome iheartthemouse[/b] was given such an incredible upgrade!:cool1::cool1: Can't wait to hear the details.

A Grand update...I called CRO to check CL availabiliy for my princess.she suggested BC/YC/Poly...I mentioned maybe WL or CR as well..then she was like, you know I will check GF first...SL and RPC available wth the 35% BB offer...so RPC in September!!!! Tea & scone party and the price is right ;)

A Grand update...I called CRO to check CL availabiliy for my princess.she suggested BC/YC/Poly...I mentioned maybe WL or CR as well..then she was like, you know I will check GF first...SL and RPC available wth the 35% BB offer...so RPC in September!!!! Tea & scone party and the price is right ;)

:banana::banana:Great deal, so glad you were able to book CL.:banana:

Thanks!:hug:

Pas, yay for the RPC in September! You and HRH will have an amazing time...I haven't spoken to my DH about staying an extra day or two, but will when the time is right. I would soooo love to meet you and HRH at the GF :cloud9:

zan65, I would like to echo what k&a&c'smom said, make any requests you have soon! It's the beginning of a very busy time of year, so changes at the last minute will be tougher. I also think more and more people are becoming aware of the construction and I can't imagine anyone wants a construction view :eek:. Keep the requests as simple as possible, and I think you chances of getting your request is fairly good. For example, any 3 GV rooms in the same building other than Big Pine Key is probably better than a specific building, specific floor.

A taste of what's to come for those of you on your way to the GF!

dab3ec8a.jpg

:banana::banana:Great deal, so glad you were able to book CL.:banana:
Me too...me too....and if the budget becomes an issue...since our flight home is6am I may cancel the last day and do the MCO Hyatt...all good!!!
Pas, yay for the RPC in September! You and HRH will have an amazing time...I haven't spoken to my DH about staying an extra day or two, but will when the time is right. I would soooo love to meet you and HRH at the GF :cloud9:
I hope you do :hug: I think seeing GF though her eyes ill make you love it even more :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts